Secret Blizzard MMO Won't Be Revealed Until Far Flung Future

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Secret Blizzard MMO Won't Be Revealed Until Far Flung Future

Blizzard is known to have a next-gen MMO in the works, but the developer doesn't plan to reveal it for a long while.

Blizzard has been planning its MMO follow-up to World of Warcraft for a while now, but it's somehow remained shrouded in secrecy for years. According to Blizzard, the game that Activision CEO Bobby Kotick calls an "enormous investment" won't be revealed until everybody reading this has experienced another birthday, or two.

The MMO is said to be significantly different from World of Warcraft and is apparently based on a new IP. Blizzard vice president Rob Pardo sadly told Geoff Keighley at BlizzCon 2010 that it won't be officially announced until 2012 at the earliest.

Blizzard team members have been slowly making their way over to the new game, but the team is reportedly still fairly small for what could likely be the next billion dollar MMO. The current production status of the mystery game is unknown.

Blizzard's secret MMO is no doubt one of the most anticipated games out of any in the entire industry, so Pardo's comment is quite disappointing. At the same time, it makes sense considering Blizzard still has Diablo III to release amongst World of Warcraft and StarCraft II updates.

Can't you even give us just one early hint Blizzard? Will it be set in a sci-fi universe? Will there be space goblins? Is it going to be an MMOFPS real-time strategy RPG sandbox platformer with music mini-games? Anything?

Source: IGN

world of jersey shorecraft

hudsonzero:

What's up bro.

/bromance

Zer_:

hudsonzero:

What's up bro.

/bromance

WTS: "The Situation" -4CHR +1STR -2INT

It's T-Shirt Time!

CezarIgnat:

Zer_:

hudsonzero:

What's up bro.

/bromance

You play too many RPG's... O_O

hudsonzero:

That was so unfair. :(

It was actually kind of hilarious, though, sitting in the press section. When he started talking about the sneak peek at their new MMO, you could hear everyone freaking out and pulling out their phones, etc.

Will be nice to see them move onwards from their already established IPs. The last decade or so was nice, true...but sooner or later it pays to move the hell on already.

It's time for us to hit the 10man club. We gotta get past a Grenade before hitting the real loot.

Example Skill for the "Tank"

Flex Biceps:

Attract target creature towards you, generates a lot of girl-aggro. Does not work on fellow bros.

Im still kinda hoping for World of Starcraft.

But if all else fails, lets hope for a Sci-Fi MMO, there isnt many left in the sae of games.

Blizzard - dumbing down the MMORPG experience since 2004 and promising to continue to do so... sometime in the future.

GleeAblo !

Whatever they decide to make, I hope it's not just a re-skinning of WoW.

GOS. AKA Galaxy of Starcraft.

Tom Goldman:
and is apparently based on a new IP.

You sure about that?
Ol' Bobby specifically said they're not too reluctant about creating new IPs...

Hm, new content from Blizzard? I wonder where they'll go with this.

This is a nice development. Looks to be starting anew the cycle of "WHEN IS IT COMING OUT?!?!?!" that has been mostly empty since Starcraft II. Diablo III has been trying to fill it, but, a new MMO can't hurt.

Im calling it now, World of Warcraft...2!

They'll do a eve online thing....only It will appeal more to other people. It will be... Universe of Warcraft.

I'll bet it will have "craft" at the end.

Steamcraft, anyone?

World of Starcraft? Something Sci-Fi related I'm thinking, since they already have a hit game in a fantasy world.

John Funk:

hudsonzero:

That was so unfair. :(

It was actually kind of hilarious, though, sitting in the press section. When he started talking about the sneak peek at their new MMO, you could hear everyone freaking out and pulling out their phones, etc.

I was watching blizzcon at a friend's house. I was literally on the edge of my seat for the announcement.

My top three guesses:

World of Diablo
World of Starcraft
Or....*Shudder*...World of warcraft.....2...

Considering that Blizzard's existing IP's already have a sci-fi, fantasy and high-fantasy setting, I would not be suprised if their next IP was something different...like a post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting. They might even take inspiration from their cancelled game, Shattered Nations:

Good good, Blizz always do best when they stick to their philosophy of; "When it's done"

Saying anything now is going to cause a media hurricane and then spend aaaages waiting for it. With peoples expectations mounting and mounting and probably end up being disappointed. This way keeping it close to the chest until such a time they feel like releasing it is imminent makes all the hype stick with the product instead of burning out before it even comes out.

Well, if anyone can avoid making a WoW clone, It would be Blizzard, I suppose.

CezarIgnat:

Zer_:

hudsonzero:

What's up bro.

/bromance

These 3 posts have officially made my day.

Maybe I'm just getting old but 2012 doesn't seem that far flung to me. *shrugs*

Anyway I don't trust a Blizzard game to actually exist until it has a release date.

Now back in the corner Lord of the Clans and Ghost!!!

Really don't find this that amazing. Games that cost money for a subscription with no other service that doesn't cost money are just money sink-holes. You lose more money, and get less content, than if you just bought individual games that cost $60. It's just pointless.

PipBoy2000:

Tom Goldman:
and is apparently based on a new IP.

You sure about that?
Ol' Bobby specifically said they're not too reluctant about creating new IPs...

apparently
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91696-Blizzard-Confirms-New-MMOG-Is-New-Franchise

[Location] of Grindcraft

Where we take your money, dominate your life, and quash any fun.
But instead, we give you a chance to feel insignificant and monetized. To be a part of a community who first measures your mathematical weight before deciding to be your friend or not.

It's a game that shouldn't really be called a game, but rather, a system of numbers that was scientifically designed to abuse a proven addiction formula; creating a virtual waking nightmare from which you will learn to loath and despise, but will be nigh-powerless to escape from.

And it shall make money. Oh, yes. Much money indeed. Billions of dollars.
It shall forever tower over its competition; forever destroying any need or necessity to innovate and damning those who dare to think otherwise.

[/overblown satirical post]

(Sorry for the melodrama. I'm practicing the tone for my Halloween skit.)

My gut reaction is to browse games workshop's catalog of games to find blizzard's next, but won't go there.

I jest, I jest.

But really.

2012, year when world will end from awesome...

Meincraft?

Defence of the Ancients-craft?

Evercraft?

AyrCraft?

APBCraft?

Craft Of Heroes/Villains?

Blizzard's totally going to make a Star Wars MMO. Lucas is covering all of his ass this time.

If they actually have a character creation-and-customisation system (stats aside) that isn't a complete joke this time around, I might just give it a chance.

Though here's hoping their art style doesn't make me ill this time >.>

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or