APB Is Dead; Long Live APB

Pages 1 2 NEXT

APB Is Dead; Long Live APB

The servers for Realtime Worlds' APB closed in September, but the recently updated patch notes indicate that the game may be resurrected.

The cops and robbers MMO, APB, launched on June 29th in North America but, by August 17th, Realtime Worlds had filed for administration, a concept similar to American bankruptcy. Faced with no money to pay the bills, Realtime Worlds shut down the APB servers on September 16th. Rumors swirled that Epic Games would buy the game because cofounder and VP Mark Rein was a friend of Realtime Worlds founder Dave Jones. We hadn't heard anything for a few weeks, but the "patch notes" for the game was updated today with the first good news regarding APB that we've heard in a while.

"It's looking like there might be light at the end of the tunnel for APB," the notes read. "The end of the administration process is apparently close and there appears to be a buyer for the game."

That's all that we have to go on, but it seems that the APB servers may indeed get switched on at some point. All we can do is speculate as to which company is buying the game, but it may be that switching off the servers was the only option. Of the short list of six interested parties, a representative from the administration firm said that none were "comfortable with buying it as a live operation."

Sometimes you have to take a step back to make a giant leap forward. In other words, maybe APB had to die before it could rise again.

Source: APB patch notes and Gamesindustry.biz

Why would another developer buy APB? It failed the first time for a reason didn't it?

Seems like a bad idea. Why do you think the game failed in the first place?

Yeah that's what I'd do, go buy a failed game.

Well good luck to whoever bought it.

I played the beta, and it really wasn't all that bad. I think their mistake was targeting two separate types of gamer with this single game. GTA lovers, and MMO lovers. Given enough time, however, I think it would gain popularity. It was just a very obscure title at launch.

Except it's not a failed game. It's a WIP Game. It shouldn't have been released with the bugs it had but there's no reason why it can't be fixed with a few changes to the mechanics.

And the Character Creator technology is worth big money... that's reason alone to buy it.

Well... if they market it well, they could get more subscribers again. There'll also be the attraction of trying to protect the game from going down again.

They could give some sort of in-game medal or trophy to people who bought it first time around too.

Korias:
Except it's not a failed game. It's a WIP Game. It shouldn't have been released with the bugs it had but there's no reason why it can't be fixed with a few changes to the mechanics.

And the Character Creator technology is worth big money... that's reason alone to buy it.

Exactly. And with a competent team behind it, it could turn out much better than people think.

I never played it, but saw it and thought it looked decent. Really impossible to tell, though.

This must be a real slap in the face to people who bought it expecting a perpetual MMO (or who find a copy in a bargain bin tomorrow, I saw an article about that), but let's face it: Most of us only play a game once or twice anyway, and unless it's a massive game or a really good one, we get maybe 40 hours of gameplay out of it. You can get more than that in six weeks, and APB didn't have much in it to start - APB was more than likely being ignored by the majority of people who'd bought it to try.

I still can't believe they released it as it was even after all the beta testing.

Yay! For all it's flaws, that game was damn fun to play and I am cautiously optimistic for it's revival.

-Samurai-:

Korias:

Exactly. And with a competent team behind it, it could turn out much better than people think.

Exactly so. It had a lot of potential and with a fresh start I think it could still be great. The customization is far too good to just throw away.

The game its self wasnt a fail but the developers behind it were.

It was released with too little content and the much needed game fixes (Matchmaking and upgrade balancing) got sidelinded for trivial things like extra ingame hats and minor bugs.

Not to mention that they admited that all the information that players gathered in the beta was just egnored and they released the game as it was anyway.

Add to it that they didnt even bother to add decent protection to the game leaving it open to every aimbot available.

If it wasn't subscription based I would buy it. I understand why it's subscription based, but I don't have a job as of now so I can't really afford it. I loved it during the like 5 hour beta, though.

I loved this game, it may have been bug ridden and unbalanced but I loved it unconditionally.

Looks like a decent game. Id try it out if I had the time

it's a fun game, it has so much potential there, someone just needs to bring that potential out.

I thought it looked promising, the only problem I saw was that it just didnt have that much to do it seemed. Not to mention I still didnt get the fucking fees system...

"none were 'comfortable with buying it as a live operation.'"

Oh, I see what the problem was; people wanted to buy the concept of the game, not the game itself. The license had ought to warrant an impressive finished if it can be polished, though.

Well that's cool for the people who bought the game. Must have stung a bit not getting to play it more than a couple of months.

Hopefully APB will land in the hands of someone who can take good care of it.

Sounds like a plan, what killed it the first time was the economical hole RTW caused by spending a hundred millions and not getting them back soon enough.

Of course, game-wise the game needed to grow faster, and lots of things, but the core was established and it needed time to grow, time that RTW couldn't afford.

Korias:

Pretty much this. It was a good concept and a pretty decent game but the version that was released wasn't much different from what they had at the end of the BETA stage. A few tweeks and a bit of balancing and the game would've been fine.

binvjoh:
Well that's cool for the people who bought the game. Must have stung a bit not getting to play it more than a couple of months.

Due to some strange problem with the accounts server I only got to play it for a couple of hours.

Well I have my fingers crossed.

I really hopes it end up in good hands, and I'm especially hoping Epic does buy it, the game is already using Unreal engine and those guys have already proven they know how to make 3rd person shooters.

If it comes back I just might end up trying it.

...Oh god, was it a huge marketing ploy, like Good Old Games?

Daystar Clarion:
Seems like a bad idea. Why do you think the game failed in the first place?

I'd bet that the horrible subscription model did not only scare me away from trying the game out.

Like Duke Nukem Forever, even if it get's its second chance, it will forever be a famous standard in games dealing with time (in DNF's case, at least it didn't cost gamer's a full game unless you fully paid off a preorder, and even then if you kept your reciept, an impressive feat at that, you'll get that back), that will forever be a comparison you will face if your time is anywhere near it.

buying the rights for a failed game may sound crazy, but if they can turn it into a great game then that would be awesome :)

Look at the bright side, at least APB isn't as bad as FF14.

MetallicaRulez0:
Look at the bright side, at least APB isn't as bad as FF14.

I like how that implies that a game you can't actually play is better than FF14. To be honest i'd rather shove pins in my eyes than play FF14 for any period of time.

On topic; I always thought the ideas underpinning APB were good and some elements of the game were pretty awesome but overall they never really nailed it and they payed the price for that.

Hmm, well its good news I guess for some, I have a feeling though, and maybe its just that but... an announcement at some point in the future of APB being free to play but funded by micro transactions, you know for different cars, weapons, character slots and so on, actualy that might work and encourage more to try the game out, either way best of luck to whoever buys it.

i had fun on apb.. but oddly enough the most fun was the last day where everyone stopped caring, ppl openly farming for 5star to act crazy with car bombs and gas station parties

I'm sure all this game needs is a little work. There's one much like it out called Crimecraft and it seems to be doing fine. It's free to play with micro transactions which seems to be the flavor of the day for games today. I'd see APB doing that and I'd probably play it if it did.

I never heard of it until the Escapist posted an article about how it was being shut down.

My response then was: That's sad...I guess.

Upon hearing it might live again, my response is: That's good...I guess.

Sorry, I don't know much about the game, and I'm not really worried about doing any research on it. I often wondered in the past (around GTA: San Andres) how long it would be before a GTA MMO surfaced.

Now I know...I guess.

Woodsey:
I still can't believe they released it as it was even after all the beta testing.

It was EA that pushed the release so they could get a return. I totally understand the decision given the time and budget. I mean, I'd never say the same thing for Duke Nukem Forever. If that game came out, and turned out to be unfinished and buggy, I'd want it to be sent back to the game hell it came from.

The idea of the game sounds great. Too bad it was so poorly executed.

Beyond repair now, mes thinks.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or