The Hammer Falls on Realtime Worlds

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Hammer Falls on Realtime Worlds

In a bizarre twist on one of videogaming's most time-honored traditions, it's time to check the still-warm body of former APB studio Realtime Worlds to see if it was carrying any good stuff we might want.

Simple question: What's the first thing you do after you've swept your enemies from the field of battle? You check 'em for loot: Guns, ammo, armor, food or whatever it else they had that's better than the worn-out garbage you've been lugging around. An Alienware hi-spec gaming PC with 22-inch flat panel monitor and keyboard, for instance.

You're not going to find something like that on your average cut-down Darkspawn but you might come up with one at the online auction of all the stuff that used to belong to Realtime Worlds. Realtime, as you may recall, ran into trouble soon after the disastrous launch of APB, which came out in June. APB went down in mid-September; Realtime Worlds went into administration soon after and is now facing a legal fuss with many former employees over missed paychecks.

Over 1000 lots are expected to be put up for auction and bidding is already underway, although not all lots have yet been posted. There doesn't seem to be as much memorabilia as I was hoping for, however. There are some great deals on computer hardware, networking equipment and random bits and pieces like a toaster and a washing machine, but a quick scan through the posted lots reveals almost nothing in the way of collectible Realtime swag. Which I realize sounds kind of ghoulish; it's like complaining that the corpse you're rifling through isn't wearing any nice jewelry.

But hey, that's how gamers roll. One other thing to bear in mind: If you buy anything, you have to go pick it up. In Scotland. I suspect that's a little out of the way for most of you, but if you're planning on being in the neighborhood in mid-November anyway, why not take the opportunity to score some cheap stuff?

via: Twitter

So sad

I would love to have one of their hi spec pcs for programming =D

But I would give them three of 'em if that could bring back APB.

can I have your stuff?

I wouldn't be going for the PCs. I'd be going for the servers and projectors. You could actually use that to host your own stuff online like Vent, or a game server or even a website.

EDIT: Hey Andy, does this auction also applies to those in the United States? I'm not finding any details about shipping or if there are any boundries.

Experimental:

Amen to that :(

Hey, I'm in Leeds, which is Northern England. I could hop on a train to Scotland this Sunday if I wanted :). Heh, I doubt I'll be buying anything from Realtime though, not if there's no cool collectible swag to get :P

I may take advantage of this, I'm in Ireland, but it's not such a stretch to get over to pick up some cheap computer goods.

Holy crap: They've got Alienware high end gaming PCs starting at 125 pounds! Minus the hardrives of course, but you won't get a deal like that anywhere...

Lot of monitors too actually :3

I live in Scotland, so it's not out of the way for me at all. ;)

I'll always remember the original Crackdown fondly.

Maybe they have Crackdown stuff in the offices?

Experimental:
I would love to have one of their hi spec pcs for programming =D

Same here, although keep in mind it IS still possible for APB to make a return under a different developer. They mentioned finding a buyer for the game:

"=== 22/10/2010 === (http://apb-eu.dnsalias.org/PatchNotes/)
It's looking like there might be light at the end of the tunnel for APB. The end of the administration process is apparently close and there appears to be a buyer for the game. "

Which still might mean that we will see it rise again.

Tenmar:
EDIT: Hey Andy, does this auction also applies to those in the United States? I'm not finding any details about shipping or if there are any boundries.

From the last paragraph:
If you buy anything, you have to go pick it up. In Scotland.

;)

Seems decent enough. They don't want it, they can't use it, they need cash, why the hell not? company goes bust, so let society buy the stuff they can't use anymore. Seems like a fair deal.

Well now that I live in Manchester, it's a lot closer than I've ever been to Realtime studio's for the 19 years of my life spent down South...

hmmmmm.... I wish I had some money now =\

Andy Chalk:

From the last paragraph:
If you buy anything, you have to go pick it up. In Scotland.

;)

Thanks Andy. I'm not feeling so hot and honestly when I see "Auction for computer equipment" well let's just say I'm letting my kneejerk reaction take over and start looking over the actual equipment instead of reading the story.

Jack-fecking pot!

Thank god for being in the UK, papa needs some new Rigs..

aways wanted 4 22" screens at once....

I live in Scotland.

Fuck I'm tempted.

I live in St Andrews which is about 10 minutes from dundee,so cheap stuff ahoy maybe

but tbh,seeing local jobs going is still very depressing

Well, they gotta get back some of that cool 100 million they spent making APB, even if this ain't going to get much of it back.

Got my eye on some of those Alienwares, off the peg they're a rip off, but for a couple of hundred quid? I think so...

Realtime World's offices are ten minutes down the road from me. Time to blag me a cheap computer?

Dear mother of mary the reserve bids for their computers are 10! 22inch HD flatscreen for 7? Yes please! But I don't see myself getting up to Dundee :(

Cousin_IT:
Dear mother of mary the reserve bids for their computers are 10! 22inch HD flatscreen for 7? Yes please! But I don't see myself getting up to Dundee :(

I am sure if you offer enough they will post it too you elsewhere in the UK

Also what is a Intous 3 Graphics Tablet?, Meh At only 20 I can figure that out later

Pipotchi:

Cousin_IT:

I am sure if you offer enough they will post it too you elsewhere in the UK

Also what is a Intous 3 Graphics Tablet?, Meh At only 20 I can figure that out later

I'lll just wait till a developer closer to home goes bust. Prob won't be waiting too long.

I live near scotland 9Ish). Only 2 hour journey. Hell, a sofa, leather office chair, Monitor and foosball table. 100 all together. HELLO DEAL!

Awesome. I live in Scotland.

Haha, looks like the boots on the other.... table which has now turned. After years of all you americans getting everything, now us brits finally win. I live in Scotland so i can easily pick up anything i buy from this sale. Losers! :P

I live in Dundee and go to Abertay, which is a two minute walk from Realtime Worlds :D

Although I would much rather prefer Realtime Worlds being back :(

Actually been inside for a computer games programming competition, it was really cool. They gave away free APB T-shirts, which I still have

A washing machine? SQUEEE! I must haves one of those.

Administration or bankruptcy auctions like these never occur near me. *sniff*

Fiend Dragon:
Same here, although keep in mind it IS still possible for APB to make a return under a different developer. They mentioned finding a buyer for the game:

"=== 22/10/2010 === (http://apb-eu.dnsalias.org/PatchNotes/)
It's looking like there might be light at the end of the tunnel for APB. The end of the administration process is apparently close and there appears to be a buyer for the game. "

Which still might mean that we will see it rise again.

I read about that, I hope it turns to the best soon.

Wow, I can't believe that a few years ago when LAN houses were dropping like flies around here I didn't go after any of their auctions. Wait, I didn't have a steady income back them. Or any income not based on asking my mom for money. That's why.

I'm looking for a new computer anyway and if I can grab a sweet gaming rig for cheap it will be worth the trip up from (southern) England. *Starts rooting through auctions*

Darn, I wish I wasn't a teenager with no country-hopping resources in the United States. I would love to check out some of this stuff.

Gonna wait and see if the reserve is me on any of those alienware machines.

I have no shame or honor when it comes time to LOOT!

Hmm... looks like some good swag might be easily had on this one.

But I live in the US, so that international shipping is going to be a real puddthumper.

I couldn't care less about the MMO, but it is always a shame when good talent is struck down.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here