Mega Man Creator Quits the Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The disappearing platforms at Capcom were too much for Keiji Inafune, who is leaving the company after 23 years of service.

Mega Man creator and longtime Capcom employee Keiji Inafune seems to have been in turmoil over the past few years. After constantly bashing the Japanese game industry, he recently said that he hates his job. Today, that turmoil may have come to a head, as Inafune announced that he'll be resigning from Capcom after more than 20 years at the company.

Inafune rose through the ranks of Capcom with Mega Man at his side, but also worked on titles such as Onimusha and the recent Dead Rising 2. Though he began as a character designer, he eventually became the head of various Capcom divisions.

Inafune posted on his blog that he's hit the ceiling and says there is "nowhere higher for me to go." He writes: "I'm leaving Capcom with the intention of starting my life over." Despite Inafune's earlier statements that made it seem like he wanted to retire from the videogame industry, he's not going to be taking a break. Inafune says he's looking for "his next challenge," but didn't say what it might be.

This appears to leave the recently announced Mega Man Legends 3 and Mega Man Universe without Inafune's future guidance. It's a fairly big loss for Capcom as Inafune has been a key figure in the company's history since the NES era. Thankfully, he appears to still have a desire to create new games, just not at Capcom.

Source: Kotaku

Maybe his next challenge could be his own studio?

You mentioned Megaman, sorry.

Tom Goldman:
Thankfully, he appears to still have a desire to create new games, just not at Capcom.

Damn, my money would have been that he opened a bar.

Like I said in the previous topic about this, most of the big name Capcom developers have left. Mikami(creator of Resident Evil, God Hand, Okami, etc) has left, Kamiya(creator of DMC and producer for other games), and now Keiji Inafune?! =S

I love Capcom. They make my favourite games, and always keep arcade style games going, but I dunno what's going to happen to them now...they only really have Ono(head of SF4), Niitsuma(head of MvC3), and Kobayashi(head of Sengoku Basara, director of DMC4) left, and while they arent bad...they aren't as big name as the rest..

Well good. Seriously, how many times can you write the same game over before you get really bored with it>

Dr Light: Mega Man! Dr. Wily has stolen my robots for the (counts on his fingers) 8...9...tenth time! *cough*

Mega Man: Oh fuck me. Jesus, you're supposed to be a scientist. INVEST IN A FUCKING LOCK, YOU IMBECILE.

NOOOOOOOOO! Not before Legends 3!
*sob*

Oh! I hope he can bring the gool ol' platformer back, with new ideas, that is.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. What's gonna happen to Megaman Legends 3, or hell, the future of Megaman in general? He was one of the most excited people to be doing a 3rd iteration of that game, he can't just leave it now.

I predict one of two things:

1. He moves to a major western developer.

2. Platinum Games.

Ya know Capcom has been milking MM to damn much and not doing enough with the series I would be fed up with zombie corporate as well. Capcom has a hard time being innovative and creative..... Hell so dose Nintendo for that matter.... 0-o

Well, there goes Megaman Legends 3. If you need me, I'll be in the corner sobbing.

Fair enough I guess. Seemed somewhat inevitable too I suppose, though after the whole 'hates his job' thing I kinda wasn't sure if as a Japanese he was going to stick with it regardless. But true to his words...he didn't and he learns and moves on.

Wish the best of luck to him, I really do. :)

Surprised no one has said it yet, but here's a probable reason.

His design for Megaman Legends 3 got LAST place.

Was anyone else thinking of The Room while reading this?

"I am sick of this worl'... Oh hi, Mark."

I wonder how many people have just lost it as well.

OT: Megaman was always something of a puzzle to me. It just seemed like a platformer where the only action was with bosses, but it seemed to do quite well.

I wonder what this means for Legends 3...

GloatingSwine:
I predict one of two things:

1. He moves to a major western developer.

2. Platinum Games.

I hope it's option 1. He'd be a great asset to Western gaming as a whole. I don't think I've ever played any of his games (I didn't start really gaming until about 2001 on Playstation), but I have a lot of respect for someone whose been so instrumental to shaping gaming as it is today.

:(

Well best of luck to you in whatever you do next, Inafune. If it's more games I'll be sure to check them out.

aw man.
Thats kinda sad.
Oh well, hopefully he will get into something her enjoys again.
20 years, that's a good long time, though im curious to see how the Megaman franchise goes from here.

I wonder if this has anything to do with his drawing coming in last place for the Megaman Legends heroine contest.
Capcom and Megaman rank up there with Nintendo for me, which is the greatest compliment I could possibly give. I hope the company doesn't suffer too much from the loss, and I hope Mr. Inafune finds whatever it is he's looking for in life. (please let it be making fantastic games)

He goes to another company or forms his own and develops the wildly popular Mega Woman series. It makes $2 billion the first week out.

crimson5pheonix:
NOOOOOOOOO! Not before Legends 3!
*sob*

My thoughts exactly. :(

Irrespective of all this, this man has been responsible for a great many games I've played. My profound farewell to you, Keiji Inafune, and I wish you luck in all your future endeavors :'(

*puts hat down*

George Palmer:
He goes to another company or forms his own and develops the wildly popular Mega Woman series. It makes $2 billion the first week out.

I've heard Angelina Jolie has already been earmarked in to play the movie adaptation. Supposedly it will stay faithful to the original.

George Palmer:

Mega Woman... I like it!

Man, this sucks for the immediate future, but could be really good later on if he starts his own studio. If he does I imagine he might deliberately stick to small budget projects, I hope so that's where most of the innovation is these days.

His work was probably my biggest inspiration when making 2d games.

Maybe this is a good step for his career! A great loss for CAPCOM. But if he continues to makes game... a great addition for the gaming world! : ).

As people said over here, whatever will happen to Megaman Legends 3, Megaman Universe and Megaman Online? :X.

But WHO would make Mega Man Legends 3?

Well, good for him, Fuck Capcom...

*Edit*

Tom Goldman:

George Palmer:

Mega Woman... I like it!

I think half of DeviantArt already claimed a copyright on that...

But on the off chance this does take fruitation, just remember, bigger is not better.

I've been waiting for Mega Man Legends 3 for ages. I hope it doesn't suffer from his departure.

I'm happy he stuck up for himself. Good luck in the future, I know basically any development studio in the world would be more than willing to hire him.

Well, I wish him the best of luck and hope he is successful with his future projects!

A sad day for the gaming industry, though perhaps it'll be eclipsed by the news that he might start his own studio (though it'll still be sad news for Capcom). Here's hoping. Between the Mega Man series, Onimusha, and Dead Rising, it'll be sad to see the industry without his influence.

NNOOOOOOOOO!!!! Who's going to make Legends 3 awesome now?! I NEED SOMETHING TO CHEER ME UP NOW!

Onyx Oblivion:
Maybe his next challenge could be his own studio?

You mentioned Megaman, sorry.

Heh heh, that always gets a chuckle out of me.

That is too bad. I wonder what he didn't enjoy anymore? Being at the top of the ladder? Being moved away from what he loved to do period? Or perhaps the culture at Capcom was starting to get to him?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here