5th Cell Leaves Cuteness Behind for Gritty Source Engine Shooter

5th Cell Leaves Cuteness Behind for Gritty Source Engine Shooter

5th Cell is known for cute DS games, but that might change with the recently announced XBLA shooter Hybrid.

Last week's dirty tease by 5th Cell has turned out to be for a game called Hybrid. As an Xbox Live Arcade shooter that uses Valve's Source engine, it's a departure for the studio known for Scribblenauts, Drawn to Life, and Lock's Quest.

5th Cell has released a brief teaser trailer for Hybrid, which doesn't show much, but it's enough for us to know that Hybrid is a shooter. A third-person shooter, actually, set in a post-apocalyptic world. The trailer's narrator is hiding behind cover Gears of War style, until an enemy comes literally flying in out of nowhere and the two start firing automatic weaponry at each other.

Dig a little deeper into Hybrid's new website, and you'll find that the narrator is a member of the game's Paladins. The Paladins are at war with another group called the Variants, led by someone called the Grand Marshal. The trailer and website hint that you'll be able to choose to follow one of the two, but any gameplay details are still unconfirmed. Humans are mentioned as bystanders in the war between the Paladins and Variants, so there is some mystery as to how this war began, why it continues to rage, and who is actually behind the soldiers' armor.

It's an interesting basic concept, so hopefully some gameplay and details should be revealed soon. With Hybrid, it looks like 5th Cell is going from Scribblenauts to a very different title similar to Gears of War with Mass Effect's choices, which is quite the step. Hybrid will be out in 2011.

Hope it comes to PSN. :( or Steam.

that is some silly narration, Ill bet someone thought it would sound awesome, they were WRONG

Well huge robot mechs and some political sounding narration... I'll keep an eye on this.

Hmmm...I wonder...

[BFG]

*bink!*

Awesome! Who's a man and a half!? I'M A MAN AND A HALF!

This doesn't tell me anything. I'll have to keep tabs on this, see how it comes out.

Oh cool another first person shooter. So cool. I wonder if you can duck behind cover in it oh wow!

The Random One:
Oh cool another first person shooter. So cool. I wonder if you can duck behind cover in it oh wow!

There's a certain irony to this post, it makes me laugh.

Anyway, I can't take this game seriously. If you're gonna try and make your trailer all (melo)dramatic like that, at least pick a better name than "variants". Come on people, say that to yourselves a few times. Notice how it reminds you of math, instead of anything resembling foreboding, ominous, or threatening? Why does it seem like the people who name Sci-Fi organizations are always incredibly stupid?

So, Christian meta-references (Joshua, to be specific), very silly looking helmets/glowey armor, cliche-sounding plot, sorta grey-brown nondescript cityscape... meh.

...5th cell, you'd better have something exceptionally unique up your sleeve for this one.

@Ironic Pirate: Maybe they're mutants who named themselves? I mean, what group assured of the veracity of their cause would deliberately pick an evil-sounding name?

I hate to say this, I really do, but for an XBLA game, it looks damn good, especially if it's using Source. I hope this is coming to Steam as well.

The Random One:

I'll let Tom say it for me.

Tom Goldman:
A third-person shooter, actually

Holy crap, the trailer used "whom" correctly. I'm already impressed. This game looks as generic as they come, but it goes on my list just for that.

Did he say, "Man didn't create Hell, Bavarians did?"

Fucking Bavarians. Them and their... beer! And... fucking... bratwursts... and shit! Fuck those assholes!

This better come to PC. I mean, there is no reason at all to not make the easiest port EVER. All they will have to do is add mouse support and hit compile! It's Source for God's sake!

-edit-

Wait, God didn't make war, man did... WHAT? The very first war ever (according to the Bible) was waged between Lucifer and God. How did they screw that up?

Since it's 5th Cell, I'm sure it'll suck just as hard as Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts did.

Oh boy another game where I get to play a space marine in a power suit.
Let me guess, there will be a cover system where I can hide behind chest high walls too!

Confoundit, 5th Cell. I don't want your darn grey-brown bandwagon-hopping space marine shoot-fest! I want Lock's Quest 2! I'm so tired of this nonsense.

hmm I kinda like the monologue

but they might be trying a bit hard with the new art direction and all hahaa

figures. I'm still itching for a game that parodies the gritty manly action genre OH WAIT Duke Nukem Forever lulz (altho that's sort of a self-parody parody now...)

Oh awesome. Another generic post apoc 3rd person shooter involving dudes in power armour and more awesome grey on brown art work... woo-hoo...

-.-;

Oh and for the record. God did create war.

Worgen:
that is some silly narration, Ill bet someone thought it would sound awesome, they were WRONG

I disagree, it does sound awesome.

That's hilarious that they go from complete innovation with Scribblenauts, to complete genericness with an apocalyptic, dark third person shooter.

In one of the 5th Cell games mentioned in this article, all the cute creatures die horribly at the end of it. Well except for one, but he gets to live the rest of his life knowing they sacrificed themselves for him, if he indeed believes they ever truly existed after it happened.

This looks quite cool. I'm already liking the art style. Too bad I don't have a DS.

I do agree that "variants" is a silly name, though.

Elementlmage:

@Ironic Pirate: Maybe they're mutants who named themselves? I mean, what group assured of the veracity of their cause would deliberately pick an evil-sounding name?

They should have called themselves the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Elementlmage:
This better come to PC. I mean, there is no reason at all to not make the easiest port EVER. All they will have to do is add mouse support and hit compile! It's Source for God's sake!

-edit-

Wait, God didn't make war, man did... WHAT? The very first war ever (according to the Bible) was waged between Lucifer and God. How did they screw that up?

At least one of those names doesn't appear in the Bible where you think it does, so I couldn't tell you.

But... but Scribblenauts :<

Why can't they just keep making original and awesome games like that?

I was waiting for him to say: "God didn't create God; man did."

Honestly, it sounds silly enough as it is anyway. If you'd like to hear it from my point of view then replace the word "God" with the word "Teapot"; it makes the same amount of sense.

Gears of War combined with Mass Effect?

So, Mass Effect 2?

They're going to make Mass Effect 2?!

I'll play it. 5th Cell certainly intrigues me with everything they do after SNauts.

RebellionXXI:
Did he say, "Man didn't create Hell, Bavarians did?"

Fucking Bavarians. Them and their... beer! And... fucking... bratwursts... and shit! Fuck those assholes!

I was gonna say. xD

I wonder if they consulted a map or anything first. If that name sticks I'll be greatly amused.

I thought he said "Bavarians", at which point I squealed with glee in the hopes of an alt-history shooter based in Southern Germany. My hopes were squashed, however, by reading "Variants" in the article. :[

-Source engine
-Requires aiming
-Not Microsoft published

Here's hoping it comes to PC as well. XBLA is oh-kay, but you got to know it'll be better on PC.

Unless it's a 2.5D shooter, like shadow complex, though Abuse was amazing on PC.

Not to complain about awesome new games or anything . . . but what's with using source on 360? It doesn't exactly run the greatest or wow you with its stunning visual effects on that particular platform. I could see the reasoning if this were a Steam game, which was then ported to the 360, but done this way it seems a little backwards.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here