Minecraft Developer Working on New Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Minecraft Developer Working on New Game

Notch has more than Minecraft in his current line of sight.

The Minecraft news just keeps on flowing. After developer Marcus "Notch" Persson revealed the fiery ghasts, the violent zombie pigs, biomes, and an underworld currently called the Slip coming in presumably this weekend's Halloween update, an interview with Develop reveals future Minecraft features and plans for a new title.

Persson talked about his past as a Flash game developer and says his success with Minecraft likely came from luck, hard work, and the game's accessibility. As for the future, Persson said that once his company is up and running he plans to get multiplayer fully functioning, including the addition of multiple competitive modes. He revealed that gameplay types such as "capture the flag" will be added that should keep people interested "for a long time."

Multiplayer isn't the only aspect Persson will be expanding, as he also detailed some features eventually coming to the single-player mode. Persson said he wants to add a story that will provide "some kind of overarching narrative to the game to drive the player forward and provide a sense of direction." He also mentioned other new features such as monster towns and alchemy. Just don't add any zombie pig cities, please.

When Persson's company eventually reaches its full stride, Persson additionally said he already has someone lined up to start the development of a second title. "Initially, I will keep working on Minecraft and get some help on it, while a friend of mine will lead development of another, unrelated game that we've talked about doing for some time now," he revealed. "Everyone in the company will be involved in both projects to some degree, and once they're both complete the plan is to move on to a third game as a team."

Apparently, Persson has plans far beyond the completion of Minecraft, with second and third games already being talked about. Persson says he's lucky to have such a strong following already, because he'll be able to "get the word out about new games much faster than before." With the huge popularity of Minecraft, I think the entire industry will be watching to see what he comes up with next.

Source: Develop

Now that's ambition. If I was raking in as much money as Notch, I'd retire tomorrow.

His ambitions for Minecraft alone will keep me interested in him. I'll gladly follow any of his future projects and hope his motivations remain with him as long as possible.

Screw new multiplayer modes. We just want survival multiplayer to fully work for now.

SODAssault:
Now that's ambition. If I was raking in as much money as Notch, I'd retire tomorrow.

Same here. I'm either woefully unambitious or terribly risk-averse. Or both.

On topic: Good luck to him. I hope he goes from strength to strength. And if he fails, well, he'll still have that hugely popular indie alpha he once made.

Damn, I am incredibly envious of Persson. Fuck, is this guy lucky, I could only dream of the success he's having, and boy how I do wish that I will be successful in the entertainment industry. I foresee great things from him in the gaming industry in the future.

I want to buy minecraft, but I don't know how much it costs. It says like 9.95 euros, but how does tha translate to American dollars? I'm an idiot for not knowing, but is it still like $9.95, is it $5, $15, I dont know. I'll definitely get it sometime, but I don't know how much it costs.

Hm. This game is getting more and more complex, and with the way sales are going...

I wonder what the figures comparing this game to WoW look like.

Dfskelleton:
I want to buy minecraft, but I don't know how much it costs. It says like 9.95 euros, but how does tha translate to American dollars? I'm an idiot for not knowing, but is it still like $9.95, is it $5, $15, I dont know. I'll definitely get it sometime, but I don't know how much it costs.

13.8753 USD apparently.

Just use an internet converter =/

I wonder if there will ever be a home console version of Minecraft?

Capture the flag? WTF?

How could that work? You just put it burried on a secret mine and the odds that someone will find it are really small.
Maybe put it on an re-spawning dungeon.

Boo update is totally gonna 0wn

MasterSplinter:
Capture the flag? WTF?

How could that work? You just put it burried on a secret mine and the odds that someone will find it are really small.

It'll likely be found in a small Obsidian room that can only be accessed by a doorway or two. It's not hard to imagine at all, actually.

Well, this isn't exactly news, Notch has been saying this since his visit to valve.
But yeah, I can't wait to see what the future holds for Notch and his crew and I'm sure that his next project will sell like "Sexy Hotcakes" just because of the minecraft fans.

WrongSprite:

Dfskelleton:

13.8753 USD apparently.

Just use an internet converter =/

Awesome! Thanks.

HaraDaya:
Screw new multiplayer modes. We just want survival multiplayer to fully work for now.

With any luck this will be the case in a few hours.

edit: stupid reply button...

I'd prefer it if he just concentrated on Minecraft to make it an even better game than it already it.

Georgie_Leech:
Hm. This game is getting more and more complex, and with the way sales are going...

WoW ------------------------------------------------------------------
MC: ------

Compared. WoW has been around for a lot longer so it will have a shit ton more sales than Minecraft will ever have. Well until WoW dies with Blizz' next MMO that is.

Zer_:

MasterSplinter:
Capture the flag? WTF?

It'll likely be found in a small Obsidian room that can only be accessed by a doorway or two. It's not hard to imagine at all, actually.

What I meant is that instead of defending the flag you could just hide it somewhere else. Minecraft world it's pretty big.

Depends on what mechanics he will have in the mode. There could be a cmarker pointing the location of the flag. I mean its capture the flag not hide and seek.

Now this guy I like, he's got ambition and a lot of talent.

Fenring:
Boo update is totally gonna 0wn

Indeed.

Good guy. Wish him luck.

Hopefully this is the start of something good.

MasterSplinter:

Zer_:

MasterSplinter:
Capture the flag? WTF?

What I meant is that instead of defending the flag you could just hide it somewhere else. Minecraft world it's pretty big.

Well, if players can die, it can be made so they respawn at their flag base, requiring you to have an opening to go in and out. It can also be placed on a smaller "template" map that can be interacted with same as the real areas. If the numbers are great enough, you could end up having teams devoting themselves to fortifications and camouflaging the base, while others attack and try to interrupt the other team, or give teams a short time to sure up defenses and such before flags appear and can be stolen.

I haven't played the game, so not too sure exactly how everything works, but thats one way I could see them doing a CTF mode.

As long as minecraft is finished before he starts the second game, I'll be happy.

dududf:
As long as minecraft is finished before he starts the second game, I'll be happy.

This. If he starts on something new before Minecraft is complete. I'll be seriously pissed.

cursedseishi:

MasterSplinter:

Zer_:

MasterSplinter:
Capture the flag? WTF?

Well, if players can die, it can be made so they respawn at their flag base, requiring you to have an opening to go in and out. It can also be placed on a smaller "template" map that can be interacted with same as the real areas. If the numbers are great enough, you could end up having teams devoting themselves to fortifications and camouflaging the base, while others attack and try to interrupt the other team, or give teams a short time to sure up defenses and such before flags appear and can be stolen.

I haven't played the game, so not too sure exactly how everything works, but thats one way I could see them doing a CTF mode.

Yeah you could restrict the game i just hope they find a way to make it so that it is still minecraft and not counter strike with big pixels... well, bigger pixels.

Captain Placeholder:

Georgie_Leech:

WoW ------------------------------------------------------------------
MC: ------

Compared. WoW has been around for a lot longer so it will have a shit ton more sales than Minecraft will ever have. Well until WoW dies with Blizz' next MMO that is.

I mean compared to a similar timeframe. Like you said, WoW has been a round a lot longer, so a comparison of total sales is meaningless. I`m wondering what the sales looked like after only a few months.

Georgie_Leech:
I mean compared to a similar timeframe. Like you said, WoW has been a round a lot longer, so a comparison of total sales is meaningless. I`m wondering what the sales looked like after only a few months.

I'd still say WoW would have raised more money. Even if Blizzard had 100,000 people on day 1 (from brand loyalty, and I'd guess that Blizzard could have mustered up half a million buyers within the first month easily), if they kept up the subscription for 6 months, they'll have made more money than Notch's 500,000 sales of Minecraft. A better comparison would be, say, World of Goo, but they didn't give out sales figures.

Delusibeta:

Georgie_Leech:

I'd still say WoW would have raised more money. Even if Blizzard had 100,000 people on day 1 (from brand loyalty, and I'd guess that Blizzard could have mustered up half a million buyers within the first month easily), if they kept up the subscription for 6 months, they'll have made more money than Notch's 500,000 sales of Minecraft. A better comparison would be, say, World of Goo, but they didn't give out sales figures.

Oh okay, sorry misinterpreted the meaning. Well I guess they are about even if you consider WoW is considerably more expensive than Minecraft is if they both started at the same time, however I would personally say if they were both the same price it would be WoW at the head just slightly more than Minecraft. But that is just my opinion.

I just hope that new games made by Notch and his studio are sold pretty much like Minecraft. Buying minecraft in it's alpha for 10€ and getting to play it all the way through it's development is a great experience. The fact that you can buy a game for 10€ (opposed to the 60€) is great (even if you still have to wait a year or more for a final version to be available).
If Notch decides to keep selling his games this way (cheaper during development), he'll be changing the way we buy games. Plus, he's getting the best beta testers there are (final consumers).

GLo Jones:

dududf:

This. If he starts on something new before Minecraft is complete. I'll be seriously pissed.

Agree on this. If he starts anything new without completing minecraft. Oh boy i wont buy anything new from this guy in my life time.

Dfskelleton:
I want to buy minecraft, but I don't know how much it costs. It says like 9.95 euros, but how does tha translate to American dollars?

Ask the Google overmind. All shall be revealed. The Google overmind is your friend. You will love the Google overmind. Your children will buy Google overmind action figures.

Xianthos:

GLo Jones:

dududf:

Agree on this. If he starts anything new without completing minecraft. Oh boy i wont buy anything new from this guy in my life time.

Ahem:

"Initially, I will keep working on Minecraft and get some help on it, while a friend of mine will lead development of another, unrelated game that we've talked about doing for some time now," he revealed. "Everyone in the company will be involved in both projects to some degree, and once they're both complete the plan is to move on to a third game as a team."

So it's starting before Minecraft is done. Development will be concurrent, and it looks like each project will have a main coder and everyone else in the company will be working on both.

Ambitious, I gotta say. Hope it works out.

Halloween update is here, and trust me when I say keep a weapon with you at all times (even in the normal world). Also, don't attack the zombie pigs in the Nether, they swarm (the nether is freaky).

cursedseishi:

MasterSplinter:

Zer_:

MasterSplinter:
Capture the flag? WTF?

I take it none of you are partial for a game of Spleef? You could modify that basic game design. With official flags, victory conditions and limitations available to set for your arena the possibilities are intruging and could give us several competitive games that are very 'minecrafty' in feel. If the rules could be set just for the arenas space then you could even have these games as part of a town in survival.

Zer_:

MasterSplinter:
Capture the flag? WTF?

OOOOOOOR... it could be like some sort of build your own defense kind of thing where you have a limited amount of time and resources to make an adequate defense around your flag and craft weapons and armor. The amount of time and resources is determined by the server host.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here