AMC's The Walking Dead Is a Massive Zombie Hit

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

AMC's The Walking Dead Is a Massive Zombie Hit

The first major live-action television series to feature the zombie apocalypse will likely be sticking around for a while.

AMC's The Walking Dead, a television show based off of the comic book of the same name, debuted this past Sunday on Halloween night. The network's effort to create a large-scale television show focused on zombies has paid off, as AMC announced that The Walking Dead debuted with the highest ratings the network has ever seen.

The 90-minute episode was watched by 5.3 million viewers, the largest audience for any original series on the network, whose ranks include the popular Mad Men and Breaking Bad. It was also the highest rated cable series premiere of 2010.

In case you missed it, Walking Dead feels more like a movie than a television show, which makes sense considering it's being handled by Frank Darabont of Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile fame. The goal of the Robert Kirkman-written graphic novel was to tell a zombie story that didn't end after two hours, and the show reflects this basic idea. It follows Rick Grimes as he wakes up to a world where the dead are everywhere, and some of them are still on their feet. It started off a little slow for me, but it picks up later, and gives what I feel is a more personalized view at how people might handle the existence of zombies.

Walking Dead's first season will conclude after 5 more episodes. AMC was rumored to have picked up the show for a second season before it debuted, with future 13-episode seasons planned, but this hasn't yet been confirmed. After the massive premiere, I think AMC has the intelligence of a zombie if it doesn't give us more Walking Dead.

this could be very awesome or bad.

Hmmm... It's on FX over here... I'll see if I can catch it sometime.

They maintained the depressing feel of the graphic novel pretty well.

Also, I'm convinced that in all AMC shows, the motto should be 'It gets better, just so it can get that much worse.'

I saw it, it was awesome, I want more.

They expanded on the first scenes too much, but otherwise it was quite good. The acting is top notch and the sets are great. I could pick out panels from the comic while watching.

Excellent so far. Can't wait for Sunday!

The premiere was fantastic, and I can see a great first season coming up...

But more seasons? Where could they go from here? This can only get really, really good or really, really boring in following seasons.

InvisibleMan:
The premiere was fantastic, and I can see a great first season coming up...

But more seasons? Where could they go from here? This can only get really, really good or really, really boring in following seasons.

Well, the comic book has 78 issues and counting, with the first episode covering issue 1, maybe 2... I haven't read it in a while. It goes to some interesting places.

Havent you heard? Zombies are the new black ;)

The Walking Dead is a amazing comic and a great show so far! If you don't like it I will meat stick slap you in your dreams.

I fell asleep after 10 minutes, I will give it another shot.

I'll be honest I loved the show, and I really recommend it.

Well I personally hate Zombies for two reasons:

1. All the flabby, repressed nerds think themselves that they are going to be THE survivors blasting away zombies to bits while in reality they are going to end up being the fodder of the Horde... Including me :S

2. They are overused, Zombies are cool but c'mon, they're everywhere... I liked the first episode, it keeps you on your toes and I have to admit I didn't know there was a comic... I just hope that it doesn't have a Smallville effect and make everyone feel ashamed of thinking of the subject matter in the end... Meaning I hope this isn't the nail that will shut that overused coffin forever...

Thank God Fox doesn't own the rights to this or they'd see how successful it was then cancel it after airing the episodes out of order. (Fuck you Fox you know what I'm REALLY talking about!)

OT: The first episode was amazing, I hope to see many more.

Oh,dear lord, I missed it! HOW THE HELL DID I MISS THIS?!?

I'd kill myself in shame if it didn't mean missing more.

That's good. I'm sick of my favorite shows dying off after a season or two, looks like this one will go on for a while...

Yeah, I really was still sick when I watched this, because all I can say so far is "meh".

Yeah, motherfuckers! I'm happy with this news. This series should continue.

Awesome first episode.

Not sure about the 28 days later intro but oh well, have to start somewhere. Oh and 28 Days later took that intro from Day of the Trifids.

Bretty:
Awesome first episode.

Not sure about the 28 days later intro but oh well, have to start somewhere. Oh and 28 Days later took that intro from Day of the Trifids.

The Walking Dead used it before 28 Days Later.

TheRightToArmBears:

What date, have I missed it?

The only thing I worry about is that there was so much Halloween hype built up into the premiere that future episodes won't be able to live up to the ratings and viewership will steadily die off (pun sort of intended). If it can keep viewers' attentions, though, I'm all for the series having a long run.

They have a lot of good material already laid out for them, and some potentially riveting storylines they can pursue.

The expense and scrutiny associated with a major TV show may be good in that it get them to either create some brand new material, or skip over some of the weaker Walking Dead stories. I read the series, and the first two years were amazing, but it drifted off track after a while and started looking more "Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome" than a real zombie story.

Second season, here we come

ProtoChimp:

TheRightToArmBears:

What date, have I missed it?

I have no idea. I just saw some ads when I was watching American Dad.

Someone please tell me where I can find this TV show online, it's the only way i can watch it and I don't wanna miss an episode!

I watched it and I absolutely loved it. I have to agree that the perspective was definitely on a more personal and realistic note, instead of your usual "Grab chainsaw, make bloodbath."

StarCecil:

Bretty:
Awesome first episode.

Isn't 28 days later from November 2002, and The Walking Dead from October 2003?

I'm just happy they didn't wanna make zombies sexy.

It's my new weekly show on Sundays. So it's AWESOME. Also it doesn't have too much gore but has enough.

But not before the Day of the Triffids....

I only used 28 days later as an example as most yanks wont have read day of the triffids.

NLS:

StarCecil:

Bretty:
Awesome first episode.

Isn't 28 days later from November 2002, and The Walking Dead from October 2003?

IIRC the writer of TWD was well into the writing of the series by the time 28 Days released, and - like 28 Days - did it as a throwback to the Day of the Triffids.

Anyone who says that they're sick of zombies or zombies are getting old, needs to get into The Walking Dead. (Comic or Tv Show)

Watched it Sunday night and it was AWESOME.

\m/

I hope they can keep up the momentum, though as I understand it, they've only filmed 6 episodes. Hopefully this will be successful and they will tape more.

I saw the first episode the day it aired. IT WAS AWESOME! I'm watching it every Sunday now.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here