Kinect Plus Night-Vision Goggles Equals Crazy Headtrip

Kinect Plus Night-Vision Goggles Equals Crazy Headtrip

Microsoft's hands-free controller also doubles as a freaky-deaky high-tech disco ball - you just can't see it in action without the right equipment.

Whether you're interested in Microsoft's new Kinect peripheral or not, you have to admit that there's some pretty cool technology in that little black camera-bar-thing. It's not without a flaw or two, but it can do nifty things in what it's able to recognize.

Apparently, Kinect can also cast a sweet-looking galactic light show across your game space - you just can't see it. Videos on YouTube have surfaced of what happens when you look at a darkened room where Kinect is operational through some means of viewing light on the infrared level, whether with a special infrared camera or with the night-vision goggles that came with the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition.

One of the many cameras in the Kinect bar apparently casts a sea of thousands and thousands of tiny pinpricks of light across its operable space. It looks like a microcosmic starfield in your living room - or, alternatively, what a disco ball might look like in the future.

Is this useful information? No, not really. But I'll be damned if it's not just kind of cool.

My god, it's full of stars...

(Via Joystiq)

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES! But in all seriousness, that is pretty goshdarn cool.

well I guess that one way of finding if you have enough room (space) to use Kinect

I like this, it's pretty neat.

"Welcome to my rave! Please remember this isn't a rave until you wear THESE goggles due to lights coming from my kinect. I sincerely apologize if my kinect mistakes your dancing for an attmpt to play though it should be fun to see the character on screen flopping around like a fish!"

Hey now the Kinect will be useful for something.

Cool.

I.R. STROBE FOR THE WIN!

That would trip me the fuck out if I was any kind of hallucinogenic substance.

Well at least now we can know the line of vision of the Kinect when Microsoft is watching you at night.

Yeah. Now try and rest easy tonight when you're sent down to sleep on the couch.

Just seeing that i understand how it works now lol. Thats pretty cool.

The Kinect just rose about 1.5 coolness notches in my book.

Granted, I'll still probably never buy one, but still cool, none the less.

It's nice to know that this guy's MW2 Prestige edition didn't go to waste. Pretty cool. I do have to wonder why this is one of the first things he tried, did he get bored already?

Of course with the knowledge that you can fix your digital camera to see infrared I am willing to bet there will be more of this to come.

Sparkly!

Finally, a use for the Kinect system!

Holy shit. That's way more awesome than pointing at the Wii Sensor Bar with a digital camera.

You know those turrets in Portal with the laser sights? Kinect has like 200 of them built into it.

"Are you still there?"

That's awesome. So Kinect uses a lot of infrared dots to scan you.

Question is: Would it be cooler if it used a grid?

Tankichi:
Just seeing that i understand how it works now lol. Thats pretty cool.

thats what i was thinking

I have those MW2 NVGs. I'll have to try this at a friends house sometimes.

Side note: The NVGs do actually work, and were worth it. While wearing them, I shot my friend in the back of the head with a Roman Candle on the Forth of July.

Jonluw:

its actually a grid.

several infrared security systems work the same way, the lasers hit unmoving objects at regular points, anything that moves between the set point activates whatever system the unit is connected to.

its pretty awesome that it actually uses a sensor to pick up body movement, but still....

a majority of us already have a Wii.

Duuuuuuude.
Deep man, deep.

This does prove that the bloody thing is completely useless, you just need night vision goggles.
They really should put something like that in a disclamer or something.

John Funk:

My god, it's full of stars...

Am I the only one that really liked this reference? No one else is mentioning it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALxLNOhI6I

Kalezian:

Jonluw:

its actually a grid.

several infrared security systems work the same way, the lasers hit unmoving objects at regular points, anything that moves between the set point activates whatever system the unit is connected to.

its pretty awesome that it actually uses a sensor to pick up body movement, but still....

a majority of us already have a Wii.

I realize it is a grid. What I meant was: Would it be more awesome if it projected this pattern onto your living room?image
You see, in my language, the word for grid; "rutenett", implies that the pattern consists of squares, like this. I couldn't find an English word that held the same implications.
I just always imagined for something that scans you to use a pattern like that; but turns out they use dots instead.

funny enough that's almost the same tech that's used by taps from ghost hunters, tried to find it but all i can remember is it was from ghi when they visited a castle or jail that had been used to open a portal to hell, and they caught a figure using the dot generator thing..... ergh wish i could find it... but im too lazy atm ;P

Jizz everywhere!

Hmm. That looks very similar to the dot pattern used by LiveScribe to work out where the pen is.

Which I'm pretty sure is patented.

I think I'll send a brief note to some friends there...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here