Artemis: Multiplayer Mayhem on a Starship Bridge

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Artemis: Multiplayer Mayhem on a Starship Bridge

Here's a ultra-cool twist on multiplayer gaming: Artemis Starship Bridge Simulator, a co-op LAN game for up to six players that proves that it's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.

This is such an amazingly simple idea that I can't believe nobody has thought of it until now. It goes like this: Put six PCs together in a network, one to run the game and five to simulate unique starship duty stations - helm, weapons, communications, engineering and science - assign one player to each station and a sixth to call the shots as captain, then stand back and let the fun begin. That, in a nutshell, is Artemis Starship Bridge Simulator, a social tactical combat sim that demands cooperation, communication and, I would guess, no small amount of patience.

What makes the game so fascinating is that success or failure depends entirely upon the ability of the crew to work together, follow orders and not drop the ball at a crucial moment. The captain may be a tactical genius but if the helmsman is an idiot, you're out of luck; likewise, having the sharpest-shooting weapons officer in the sector doesn't mean a thing if the chief engineer forgets to charge up the phasers. And if half the crew decides in the heat of battle that the captain is totally blowing it, things could get very interesting, very quickly.

A group at Wired U.K. took the game for a spin and sure enough, there were challenges. "It's amateur hour on the bridge of the HMSS Wired. We're careening towards an interstellar minefield at warp 3, our chief engineer has accidentally diverted all the energy to the photon torpedoes so we've got no power for the main viewscreen, and our science officer has popped off to the loo just as we pass through an unexplored nebula that could be full of enemy cruisers," the captain writes. "It's not going well."

Artemis has a predictably strong Star Trek vibe and supports crews as small as three, although obviously the more, the merrier. The AI is apparently a bit on the weak side but that's hardly anything new when it comes to videogames, and the developer says bridge-to-bridge combat is slated to be incorporated in a future update, a change that will no doubt elevate the game from wickedly cool to absolutely mind-blowing.

Just think about it: A dozen people going head-to-head in interstellar combat, groping blindly through nebulae, dodging through minefields, shouting orders and acknowledgments in ridiculously bad accents. You could say, "The engines cannae take the strain, Cap'n!" and actually mean it! If that doesn't get your juices flowing, check your pulse.

More information about Artemis Starship Bridge Simulator, along with instructions, gameplay videos, a demo and more, can be found at artemis.eochu.com. Engage!

that...........actually sounds pretty fun for a LAN game.

I can see something like it picking up a lot of players at *con's and general game tourneys. I can already imagine a ladder for a tournament filled with US/SH LAZORS, HMSS....H Marmite.......dear god, the list could go on forever.

alas, only if there was a ships medic/doctor, the number of annoying jokes would never cease.

I saw this a few weeks ago. It's so geeky, I love it!

You are right. This sounds god-damn awesome. Now I need friends. Who wants to join me on the USS Escapist?

Fas-cinating.

Okay I'll bite, this soudns absolutely awesome. I'm not sure if it would be more or less fun if you on a team with people who don't know what they're doing, but for the nerd in all of us this soudns fantastic. And also, you can finally settle in-friend debates about who would be who on your own Star Trek bridge.

I don't look forward to the competitive players though, people who train with their team for hours for the sole purpose of crushing those who are just trying to have fun.

holy shit

guess I'll have to pull out the yellow/red/blue suits and dust 'em off

star trek is on, baby ^-^

This seems a awesome idea. I'll have to find some other people that'd be interested and give this a try.

Isn't this what StarTrek Online was suppossed to be origianly? Before it was bought out by Cryptic? Seriously, I remeber one of my mates explaining it to me as being like this exactly... And this is so much better!!! Ha ha ha. I gotta play it!!

*double post accidentally*

Oh hell yeah, especially since you can get it for free. Why do I get the feeling I'll use the Picard (or is it Kirk) Gambit and warp at my enemy before unloading on them?

I...
NEED...
THIS!!!

Sign me up! I'll take any post, except Expendable Redshirt.

This...Is...Epically awesome! ...Even though I have no friends who would probably play... :(

This is geeky in the coolest posible way. I call engineer!

...does anyone besides me now fantasize about the Escapist taking over some convention and getting together its own bridge crews? Because I'd be SO DOWN with that.

I call weapons station.

I love games and most geek stuff, I really do. But I always have a hard time watching videos about grown men doing this sort of stuff. It's like, being out of the fantasy myself and watching other people doing this... it feels kind of... pathetic...

twm1709:
I love games and most geek stuff, I really do. But I always have a hard time watching videos about grown men doing this sort of stuff. It's like, being out of the fantasy myself and watching other people doing this... it feels kind of... pathetic...

So ture! I just watched some other vids of this on YouTube and believe me, they're worse! But very funny.

Oh this game is sooo geeky, yet soooo fun.

The more times i hear the guy say "Captains Log Supplemental" the more i wanna play this

Just gave the demo a try. This game is *really* freaking buggy. Maybe it's just the demo and the finished product doesn't have such crippling features such as weapons that don't work on occasion.

"Silence on the bridge god damn it! this is an english vessel not some russian slag ship!"

Lol epic line.
This looks incredably fun, i dont have anyone else that would be remontly interested in playing it but god it looks like fun.

Looks so awesome
I'm going to have to round up all my friends for this

This is pure awesome.

Hmm, going to check out the demo.
Also according to the site, the full version costs $60. HOWEVER, one copy can be legally installed on all 6 computers of your "bridge", which I think is great :D

And it was *first* done about 15 years ago. Some friends of mine built a game called 'Bridge Crew' (http://www.mithril.com.au/promo.htm) which was, more or less, this game. Of course, they've loooooooong since given up updating it that I am aware, but it was pretty solid for its day.

The more things change...

This looks really awesome. I want to play star trek bridge commander now.

thenumberthirteen:
You are right. This sounds god-damn awesome. Now I need friends. Who wants to join me on the USS Escapist?

I'm in.. However the fact that its lan means we either play over hamachi or we don't play at all.. I don't trust you..

This actually looks amazing. Though, we didn't get a look at the gameplay. And I imagine that:

1. People would fight over being captain.
2. The guys not on the helm or tactical stations don't have all that much to do.

zama174:

thenumberthirteen:

I'm in.. However the fact that its lan means we either play over hamachi or we don't play at all.. I don't trust you..

I'm sure we can find someone to host a server and have a kick ass time over the Internet.

Somethingfake:
This looks really awesome. I want to play star trek bridge commander now.

Me too. If this ran with Bridge Commander then it would be perfect. Though there is little to if you're first officer. With al the BC mods you can install sometimes you need extra people to manage Engineering and such. Though I always take direct Helm and Weapons control. Those guys just sit on their arses as I fly the ship myself.

Timotei:
Just gave the demo a try. This game is *really* freaking buggy. Maybe it's just the demo and the finished product doesn't have such crippling features such as weapons that don't work on occasion.

Are you sure it just wasn't operator error on the part of the appropriate stations? :P

On another note, I must have this game.

I love me some Bridge Commander too. :D

http://www.vimeo.com/12896767

Yeah, the music cuts off at the end. I could've extended the video's length, but I opted against it.

Aah! Not Again!

Seriously, I need to work more quickly and actually implement my ideas sometimes.

I mean, I keep running into people implementing things that resemble my ideas before I ever get round to it.

It's happened with Blender's UI.

It's happened with a time-travelling game. (although to be fair they worked out the details in a way that I wouldn't have considered possible)

And now this... Which has been something I wanted to do from at least the time of playing Bridge Commander... If not before.

So, yeah. Good luck to them, but damn. How annoying is that?

(Just think about it for a second... For every time this happens, if I actually ever get around to implementing my ideas, I'll get accused of copying it from somebody else. Never mind I might have had the idea first, since my implementation of it wasn't first, it'll look like I stole the idea. Argh! You have no idea how annoying that is.)

... If they turn this into a MASSIVLY multiplayer game... oh that would be awesome. Then again, could you imagine guys like these, dressed as different members of the USS Enterprise? Or Klingons? Or some other race in the Star Trek universe? Still, what a marvelously complex, yet simple idea.

You can actually get the game free if you download the demo, make a video of you and your buddies playing, put it up on Youtube, and send it in. Then you get the full game FREE. Crazy! Obviously the guy just wants people to enjoy it!

It looks very complicated....yet very fun as well.

There are a lot of design problems with this game concept. The key one being - Fun for every player.
Then again Puzzle Pirates! managed to do it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here