Call of Duty Endowment Giving Away Free Black Ops

Call of Duty Endowment Giving Away Free Black Ops

Activision is giving away two free copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops every day during a 25-day awareness campaign being held by the Call of Duty Endowment to draw attention to the challenges facing veterans when they return home.

Activision established the Call of Duty Endowment in November 2009 to mark the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, setting up a $1 million fund to "support other groups that assist veterans with their careers" when they leave the military. As Activision CEO Bobby Kotick noted at the time, "How do you expect people to actually join the military if when they leave the military they can't integrate back into the free market they're supposed to be protecting?"

One year later, Activision is doing it again in the wake the even more successful launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops. $1 million of Black Ops sales will be donated to the endowment and the publisher also pledged to help find jobs for 1000 veterans. According to Activision Blizzard Co-Chairman Brian Kelly, veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from an unemployment rate more than double that of the national average. "The Call of Duty Endowment is dedicated to raising national awareness of the needs of our returning veterans - and helping these veterans directly," he said. "We are confident that many more businesses will join us by employing veterans in their companies. We are encouraging our suppliers, customers and business partners to join us in the cause of getting veterans hired."

Beginning on November 12 and running until Pearl Harbor Day on December 7, the Call of Duty Endowment will hold a "social media awareness campaign" highlighting the issues facing veterans returning from overseas wars. Fans of the endowment's Facebook and Twitter pages will be asked to post a "call to action or 'service op'" as their status on each day of the campaign; to encourage participation, Activision will give away two copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops to randomly drawn Facebook and Twitter followers each day of the campaign.

"This campaign is a simple way for folks to say 'thank you' to our veterans," said retired Rear Admiral Jim Carey, a member of the Call of Duty Endowment advisory board," while also putting a larger spotlight on a national problem we want more individuals to recognize."

This makes me proud to be a gamer.

I don't know what to think of this. What they're doing is technically good, but the intent behind it seems questionable to me, CoD seems like a really bad choice to directly be connected with such an awareness campaign (not to mention that they could have done all this without turning it into CoD publicity, which just makes it seem like a PR-stunt) and it seems to be focused completely and solely on the US forces.

Erk, while it could have honourable intentions, Bobby Kotick...

More likely an effort to draw away negative publicity.

They should give away free copies of Rambo First Blood and scare people into this.

Though the intentions are obvious (make Activision seem less of a badguy by making a war game) this is just standard politics. Every star does it. Every CEO does it. Everyone with any extra cash does it. It's just how the world works. Glad our veterans can benefit from the CoD franchise that they helped create by being the strong willed individuals they are.

I'm sorry to sound like a dick, but seriously, where do I go/ what do I sign up for to get the free game?

That's all I really care about.

Promoting a game while donating to a good cause. I know there's evil forces behind it, but you can't really argue with the results, fact is, if Valve did the same, we'd all be cheering.

So alright. Thumbs up and keep the positive steps coming :)

The government, you know, the people who hired the soldiers in the first place, should be taking care of getting veterans back on their feet, not a company who would simply see an opportunity for free publicity.

Sorry, double post.

Kotick does everything for money, and even if that helps some people (big plus for Activision), it's still Kotick's way to get more money (minus for Mr. Bobby).

Also, exactly how am i to get Black Ops? I promised myself I'll never buy Activision game unless Kotick stops being Kotick, but i won't protest when they would give me one for free.

So, MW2 made over $1Billion and Activision managed to "Splash out" 1Mil of that on a cause they clearly care so much about...

Now, really, it's great you're doing something, but, please, do it for the right reasons, eh?

I like what Activison is doing, but I'd give far more than what they are giving. Our vets here in the States have gone through hell to make sure that we stay free and most of the time no one seems to care. If I were a major voice actor in a CoD game, I'd give away my entire salray to veteran's charities and organizations. I know that sounds stupid, but that is how much I care about my country's vets.

While this is certainly a kind thing to do, I cant help but feel that it's unabashedly token.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here