Japanese Pop Star Draws Crowds Despite Being a Hologram

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Hatsune Miku is a rising star in the pop music scene in Japan, but she is just a piece of software.

I'll be honest with you, it sounds like the plot of some bad Al Pacino sci-fi movie. But it is all too real, in a sense. Hatsune Miku is a computer synthesizer application developed by Crypton Future Media using Yamaha's Vocaloid techonology. She was "born" with the first stable release on August 31, 2007. Since then, Hatsune Miku has been animated and projected using a 3D hologram with the freeware program MikuMikuDance and videos of the character have been popular on the YouTube-like Nico Nico Douga website in Japan. Hatsune Miku held her first live performance in 2009 at the Animelo Summer Live festival, which showcases anime music. The HD videos below are taken from her sold-out 39's Giving Day performance, which is available in Japan on Blu-Ray.

Hatsune Miku is by far not the only Vocaloid out there. In 2004, the first Vocaloid application was released by Yamaha based on the work of scientists at the Pompeu Fabra University in Spain. The program is a "singer-in-a-box" and it allows the user to input lyrics and melody, as well as effects like vibrato, and the application will sing the desired song. Vocaloid 2 came out in 2007 and made many improvements to the tech. Vocaloids all represent a specific voice capable of only singing in one language; Sweet Ann was the first created using Vocaloid 2 and she could only sing in English. Hatsune Miku, who can sing only in Japanese, was created only a few months later by Crypton Future Media and has the following fake statistics:

Name: Hatsune Miku
Height: 158cm
Weight: 42kg
Suggested Genre: Pop/Dance
Suggested Tempo Range: 70~150bpm
Suggested Vocal Range: A3~E5

I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. While I appreciate that the technology is somewhat amazing, especially the combination 3D holograms, with a software voice and live musicians. Hatsune Miku is clearly popular, judging by the hundreds of adoring fans in these videos, so there must be a place for a fake popstar.

But damn, is she a catgirl in this one? Yeah, this is just not for me...

Source: Singularity Hub

Mr Tito, why is this here?

What is this... I don't even...

Not my cup of tea. It saddens the judgemental part of me that "she's" anyone's cup of tea.

I don't really like the music and the crowd looks a bit boring for my liking...

Still... kinda cool.

Somehow, I'm seeing a possible Macross tie-in.

Pop band being holograms?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2000-06-23

Thank you Mr. Tayler for devining this 10 years ago!

Also, read the entire webcomic. It will take you a while, but it is super worth it, and don't mind the early art, it gets better, I promise.

I for one think thats pretty damn amazing, my rage on 3D entertainment has just vanished

Hmm one of these days i have to see what its like in person.

I'm feeling a strange mixture of confusion, pity, and terror...

single greatest thing ive seen in my life

Sounds like karaoke for the extremely lazy.

Oh come on, knowing japanese culture, this doesn't really come as a shock. But that's just my opinion.

were can i buy this or download this or something i must get

What, Hatsune Miku? Is this new news, now?

Thought it's been mentioned a couple of times already...wait.

Nightfalke:

Oh, that's right, it was him who mentioned it in a recent newspost. I'm mixing my sites up.

I read the headline and suddenly I realized: We're in the motherfucking future.

This just further confirms my fears that Japanese culture is something I will simply never understand. They can keep right on doing their thing with no interference from me.

Well, she is good. I myself am a 'fan' of hastune miku. The music is really tolerable and is in some way comparable to real artists.

Greg Tito:

Hatsune Miku is a rising star in the pop music scene in Japan, but she is just a piece of software.

I'll be honest with you, it sounds like the plot of some bad Al Pacino sci-fi movie. But it is all too real, in a sense.

Feels more like someone is trying to create a real Macross plus singer idea. In that ova series the singer in it is artificial as well. Though that was less scary looking then what they really created

-Drifter-:
I read the headline and suddenly I realized: We're in the motherfucking future.

Lol yeah, and now they're developing flying cars for the military.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/11/11/flying.car/index.html?iref=allsearch

Between dating sims, dancing female robots, and holographic pop stars, the average Japanese woman is going to have an even harder time trying to find love. Japan seems pretty dedicated to replacing woman with electronic devices.

Nightfalke:

Also, read the entire webcomic. It will take you a while, but it is super worth it, and don't mind the early art, it gets better, I promise.

Go back another 4 years. William Gibson hit this with Idoru.

WinterOrbit:

Nightfalke:

Damn, ninja'd.

Good on you Red Star.

My brain just broke.

I like j-pop...besides I think there's also anime/manga about her, called Vocaloid :p

also, better then justin bieber...just saying >.>

Nightfalke:

WinterOrbit:

Nightfalke:

1994. Macross Plus.

sailor_960:
Oh come on, knowing japanese culture, this doesn't really come as a shock.

Yeah, they're years ahead of our animatronic technology. She totally blows Katy Perryy out of the water.

We're exactly one commandeered prototype drone weapon away from this whole thing turning into the plot of Macross Plus. If someone programs her to sing SANTI-U, I say we nuke Japan from orbit.

first dance bots, and now singing holograms! Japan please use this technology for something... more contributing to the human race.....

Woah this is like some otaku sweet dream, being closer to bring a anime (ok in this case not a real singer) character into reality plain.

Now I think about it, it is one step closer to a real life Cortana (from Halo) and other hologram base characters.

Am I the only one more interested in how the hologram tech works than how weird it is that Japan has holographic pop stars?

Lets just forget that it's a pop singer etc for a second, a lot of the objection seems to include an unvoiced 'how can people find her attractive' for some reason.

I basically see this as another step toward group effort and cooperation displacing talent. I consider that a good thing

8 minute clip from the same concert;

im seriously creeped out that people like this. it wasnt even very good, it sounded so synthesized, my mac could sing better.

We make holograms and this is it's first use? Well at least we have holograms :D

Think of hologram games or films... My god

I...what...was...huh...

Yea, "not my thing" is a bit of an understatement. I will admit that the hologram technology looks kinda cool, though....the context it's being used in is incredibly creepy, though. And the actual "music" wasn't very good either.

Not really my kind of thing, but the technology going into this is pretty amazing. Really takes the term "manufactured pop star" to a whole new level.

This happened like months ago :P

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or