Battle: Los Angeles Trailer is Out of This World

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Battle: Los Angeles Trailer is Out of This World

Alien invasion flicks are notorious for being cheesy and dumb, but this trailer makes Battle: Los Angeles look like it might be an exception to the rule.

Skyline is a movie about aliens invading Earth (focusing on a resistance against them in Los Angeles) that's opening in theaters this weekend, and it's supposed to be pretty dreadful. Battle: Los Angeles, meanwhile, is also movie about aliens invading Earth and the subsequent events in Los Angeles. However, Battle: Los Angeles is coming to theaters next March and it looks a lot better than Skyline.

The basic idea sounds pretty bland: An invading mecha army appears out of nowhere and starts blowing up everything in sight. But, based on this trailer, it feels like this might be a better movie than the invasion genre deserves. The music ("Sun's Gone Dim and The Sky's Black" by Jóhann Jóhannsson) is quiet and eerie, the action looks appropriately chaotic, and I appreciated the way that the soldiers seem genuinely terrified by this strange new enemy as they try to hold the line.

From the movie's summary:

For years, there have been documented cases of UFO sightings around the world - Buenos Aires, Seoul, France, Germany, China. But in 2011, what were once just sightings will become a terrifying reality when Earth is attacked by unknown forces. As people everywhere watch the world's great cities fall, Los Angeles becomes the last stand for mankind in a battle no one expected. It's up to a Marine staff sergeant (Aaron Eckhart) and his new platoon to draw a line in the sand as they take on an enemy unlike any they've ever encountered before.

Aside from Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez is also billed in the credits, as are Ramon Rodriguez, Bridget Moynahan, Ne-Yo, and Michael Peña. So far, this sounds like a promising film, but we'll have to wait until March 11th to find out for sure.

Thanks to PurpleSky for posting this in the forums!

Wow, that actually looks really good.

I hope it's amazing. If been really itching for a good alien invasion movie. I was wanting to go see Skyline, but heard it was bad. Like, REALLY bad.

That looks like it may be quite the action flick. I am formally adding it to my may have to see list.

The discordant music combined with the hectic footage makes for an alluring package. My brief experience, however, tells me to be careful of creative editing. A slick trailer can either mean that its a good movie or a bad movie trying to look like a good movie. Fingers crossed that it's the former as opposed to the latter.

Interesting. I might keep an eye on this.

Some of the shots in the trailer look very nice, if anything that is all I'm hoping for. Not every invasion film can be District 9.

Aaron Eckhart? Sign me up! Dang, this looks awesome!

I got a early preview of the first cut of the film, the action is kick ass but the story was lacking, I hope they did some re-shoots

if worse comes to worse it WAS a hell of a trailer.

....Looks a tad meh. Still, might not be an utter fail.

All i can think of is this;

The timing of this trailer seems to just scream, "WE'RE REALLY SORRY FOR MAKING SKYLINE! NO REALLY! WE ARE LIKE SUPER SORRY GUYS!"

I only heard the radio trailer for Skyline this morning and now you're telling me it's rubbish, but there's this other one to look out for?

Gawdd make up your mind.

Aaron Eckhardt and Michelle Rodriguez make this one a must-see for me. I admit I was wondering when this movie was coming out when that short teaser was shown, and confused when instead we got Skyline previews.
Skyline seems to be more in line for the Horror crowd whereas Battle:Los Angeles is going to be Suspense/Action.
2011 is gonna be a fun year.

The quoted description is the only turn off. LA is the last major city? Making a stand there? If every other city has fallen, what makes LA any different? Focus on a single Sgt's significance? I'm seek of effects, I want to seem some examples of writing, then I'll climb aboard.

awesome trailer ill try to check the movie out
looks to be one of those thousand to one odds movies i love
nothing more satisfying in my book than the underdogs winning out in the end or even just die trying

*Claps* Soooo... What color tank top will it be today, Miss Rodriguez?

I know LA and the state of California is where these things get made but I am getting tired of seeing the same landmarks over and over. Let's see something original like Battle for Detroit. It would be so easy to make that dying city look apocalyptic. Hell making it look burned out and devastated might improve it and the city could use some kind of business since the Big Three and Motown abandoned it.

Mezzo.:

This one!

Well, it certainly looks interesting. I'll give it that.
I actually saw Skyline recently and I was very, very dissapointed. There were still some good alien versus man moments and huge explosions and such but it lacked any drama and suspense and was over before it began.
Thing is, it was a small movie focusing only on the limited perspective of one group of people, trapped in an apartment complex. But the trailer itself, was selling itself as this huge epic scale thing with escaping the city and worldwide disaster and news reports and the army doing battle and we didn't get it.
Instead it was constrained and despite a few moments, it ultimately felt rather cheap. It didn't help that the movie ended just as it was getting good and that the characters were about as charismatic as a bowl of moldy cereal.

Still I got to see filthy humans being destroyed for committing the atrocity of continuing to exist. That's something.

So yeah, kind of a let down. I'm hoping this new one is much better though, I reckon we need at least one really good alien invasion movie to come out in the near future, and this could well be that one.

... DIE HUMAN SCUM!!!

Rigs83:

Mezzo.:

This one!

*stares in awe*

Okay, if she was dressed like that, I would run to the cinema on open day. I've always had a thing for the 'sexy tough' Michelle Rodriguez. So yeah kill all the human scum, but leave this one alive for a little while.

Why are they starting the trailer with a film slide projector. No one is still using those. This is what a modern slide show would be if an actual member of national security or the military was doing a presentation.

For some odd reason I wanted to go watch Starship troopers again after seeing this trailer...

Anybody else feel chilled?

Why can't we be getting THAT tomorrow instead of "The day the Independencefield of the world?"

Hmmn, looks better than Skyline anyway

I'm intrigued...but guarded. Too many Alien Invasion stories are dreadful. The best one was written a century ago.

Three things.

1) Michele Rodriguez is one of my favorite action heroines out there. She NEEDS to be in more movies. I command it.

2) Buying. That. Music. Now.

3) Has anyone else read Footfall? Cause when I saw the asteroids being used as weapons, I immediately thought: Footfall. Cause Footfall - which is about an alien invasion, natch - begins with the aliens dropping a load of meteorites on every power plant, road junction, train station, airport and military base.

The neat thing about Footfall is that the alien's psychology was...basically, they're an entire species of submissives and dominents. If you show your belly, even once, you are a slave forever. So they figure they smack humans once, then humans will throw up their hands.

Nope. We keep fighting. But we can't win, so they're not going to show their belly...or will they?

The climax of the book has humanity taking several aircraft carriers worth of metal and guns and launching it into space, Orion Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Lxx2VAYi8&feature=related).

Think of the climax that would make for a movie.

A giant starship. Filled with soldiers from every nation. Built on in the Gobi desert. Launched into space by NUCLEAR BOMBS!

SCREAMING AT THE ENEMY, X-RAY LASERS BLAZING AS IT SMASHES INTO THE ALIEN MOTHERSHIP AND THE SOLDIERS TAKE IT WITH SHOTGUNS AND MACHINE GUNS!

Hows THAT for an action packed ending, Hollywood!

I'm in. Looks awesome.

Ah. The shadow of District 9 is long indeed.

I would watch that cast in "Paint Drying and Grass Growing: The Movie", though.

vansau:

Alien invasion flicks are notorious for being cheesy and dumb, but this trailer makes Battle: Los Angeles look like it might be an exception to the rule.

Sounds like your twitter disagreed. ;)

Scrumpmonkey:
All i can think of is this;

Yeah totally!

That actual looks pretty cool...for an alien invasion flick...

Someone needs to make an invasion movie from the PoV of the aliens themselves.

You don't need 2 billion aliens to stop L.A. Just park your car on any freeway anytime of the day. It happens all the time. 2 hours to go 40 miles @ like 10mph. Rent is like $1,500 for a studio. Ex-football players killing people and walking free. Burn the place down & start over.

What's strategic about attacking L.A.? Navy is in San Diego. Air Force is out in the desert. They want....the shopping malls??? OH! It's written by that chick dude that makes up stuff for the SciFi channel....I.C. Okay, this is a chick flick. Gottcha.

Every time they start a trailer for a movie like this with a line like this one did, another person goes crazy and starts to believe the nutty conspiracy theory they've been toying with. Sigh. I don't begrudge the Genre, I just wish it didn't bleed over into real life the way it does.

This comes out near my birthday.
I think I know what I'll be watching.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook