Survey Finds Most Americans Believe Games Cause Violence

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

SelectivelyEvil13:
No matter one's view on gun rights, you have to be pretty thick to honestly think that the ownership of a device that can blow your f---ing head off somehow does not contribute to any violence.

Exactly.
I always wonder wheather or not "violence in society" or anything like that. Includes violent fantasies or thoughts. That would mean the News would also contribute to that. If I think about a war in a distant land, and imagine myself to be a soldier there, I think violent thoughts.

Only 1000 people? That's hardly representative of 310,000,000 people. It's not even a fair survey, as Exterminas has pointed out:

Exterminas:
Look at the questions from the survey:

1* How concerned are you about the level of violence in many video games today?
-> Everybody should be concerned about the degree of violence in media! Doesn't mean it's a bad thing! I am concerned about fire, because it can get out of hand.

2* Do violent video games lead to more violence in our society?
-> Hell sure. More violent games equal more violent games. Meaning violence in the society. Doesn't ask If I think the games cause anything, especially doesn't ask about violent behavior. What the hell is "violence in our society"? Video Games caused the war in Iraq? Hell no.

3* Should states be allowed to prohibit the sale or rental of violent video games to minors?
-> Nobody will dissagree on this. But it doesn't say anything about games in general.

This survey doesn't ask about any real connections. It is so incredibly vague that with questions of this style you can "proof" any belief.

"Do you believe there is a connection between cheese and the moon?"
50% believe that the moon is made of cheese!

Let's not jump to conclusions about people believing video games are harmful just let. I think we need to stop being so kneejerk.

OANST:

mr_rubino:

OANST:
Survey says: Escapist writer uses anecdotal evidence to make himself look smart in latest aggressive, ill-informed article.

Survey says: Fact-averse faceless internet person attacks article blindly without reading it because he has no argument.

Survey says: Using anecdotal evidence to prove your point is a sign of not having point. Just because a fact is a fact doesn't mean that it means whatever it is that you want it to mean just because you want it to.

Survey says: Shut up, the both of you.

You know. I always try my best to have an unbiased view on things. I always try to not think of people as ''the masses'' or ''sheep.''

But this isn't helping.

LastMondaysHangover:
Only 1000 Adults? That's kind of a small sample number if you ask me. Even more so if the survey was taken in only one area....

My thoughts exactly. I mean for an average town a survey this small would be laughed at. 1000 people questioned can not even represent a large country as America

OANST:
Survey says: Escapist writer uses anecdotal evidence to make himself look smart in latest aggressive, ill-informed article.

I'm kinda getting that vibe from the escapist in general.(Anecdotal) Almost every article about video games being violent should be banned comes with some smug comment on how they shouldn't be and everyone who thinks otherwise is a drooling moron.

Tipsy Giant:
Most Americans believe in a giant living in the clouds too, but we try not to laugh at them for that!

No offence, but that's like a middle finger to christians & catholics, next time, THINK before you do anything.(coincidentally, that is just what those adults need to do).

Statistics can be made up to prove anything, 40% of people know that.

well, atleast SOME say its the job of paransts to see how the games work.

still survey says, 54% of americans are perantally narcelepticlally retarded( yes i just made that up on the spot)

Also, look at the level of violence in movies; people don't say that THEY cause violence.

I mean seriously, it's not like I'm going to stab/shoot a person after playing GTA.

Depends on who they asked, what the actual question was (word-for-word), etc. etc.

BJ777:

Tipsy Giant:
Most Americans believe in a giant living in the clouds too, but we try not to laugh at them for that!

No offence, but that's like a middle finger to christians & catholics, next time, THINK before you do anything.(coincidentally, that is just what those adults need to do).

Well it is pretty silly. :\

feather240:

OANST:

I'm kinda getting that vibe from the escapist in general.(Anecdotal) Almost every article about video games being violent are banned comes with some smug comment on how they're not and everyone who thinks otherwise is a drooling moron.

That is the only reason that I even bring it up. I personally don't believe that video games cause violence, but I also don't think that saying "Nuh-uh, look at this thing that has nothing to do what we're talking about, it proves you wrong" is the way to win an argument. Nor is it an acceptable way to present news. Unless, of course, you work for Fox News.

008Zulu:
Statistics can be made up to prove anything, 40% of people know that.

I lol'd

So funny, so true...

sheogoraththemad:
come on people let's get a facepalm combo going!
IMAGE SNIP

You mean like this?

Anyways, this survey seems like it was incredibly vague, from what I've seen of it. It'd be like me releasing a survey asking if guns were capable of killing people and then releasing results that 90-100% of people believe guns are responsible for every death that has ever occured.

Jiraiya72:
Survey says: "Uninformed idiots are uninformed". Yes, yes they are.

My sentiments exactly. Do you think if we win this court case, the level of stupid in society will decrease?

Wow. 'A survey of 1000 adults across the U.S. has found that 54 percent of adults believe that violent videogames are a cause of increased violence in the real world.' Out of 500million, that 54% look like ill-informed retards.

Oh wait, they are; hurr durr derp.

Jiraiya72:
Survey says: "Uninformed idiots are uninformed". Yes, yes they are.

I feel like imitating your avatar every time a "video games cause violence debate" gets sparked. (Hope you don't mind me asking but where is your avatar from?)

"Video games are different from what we're used to so that means they must be EVIL!!"

Ignorant halfwits.

THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!
I'LL KILL THEM ALL RAAAAHHHHHH!
seriously though, people are just ill-informed, and believe everything the media tells them. I read a report on the history of censorship in film and I found out that people thought the same about movies, comics, and even board games.
I propose that the next time you see a bunch of protesters outside a store demanding that GTA is taken off shelves just say "I'm a gamer and I don't hurt people" and give them a big hug... you can wash yourself off afterword.

Seriously, screw numbers or surveys, no matter who's side they are on.

OANST:

mr_rubino:

OANST:

Survey says: Fact-averse faceless internet person attacks article blindly without reading it because he has no argument.

Survey says: Using anecdotal evidence to prove your point is a sign of not having point. Just because a fact is a fact doesn't mean that it means whatever it is that you want it to mean just because you want it to.

It works if you try. A) Statistics are not anecdotal evidence. Ill-created surveys certainly are. B) If you're not going to make your point, then don't claim you have one.

they surveyed only a 1000 adults across the US? they wasted their time.

BJ777:

Tipsy Giant:

No offence, but you assume I worry whether crazy people have hurt feelings over their "special stories" and it's HILARIOUS that i'm being TOLD TO THINK in relation to stupid superstitions LOL

1000 people out of the US? Oh... Yeah that is really going to show a accurate result of how people think about video games.

Mackheath:
Wow. 'A survey of 1000 adults across the U.S. has found that 54 percent of adults believe that violent videogames are a cause of increased violence in the real world.' Out of 500million, that 54% look like ill-informed retards.

Oh wait, they are; hurr durr derp.

Kind of like if you want to test water from a lake, you take every drop of water from it for testing.

Think realistically. How the hell would they survey that many people? Seriously.

P.S. Using ''hurr durr derp'' to be condescending is stupid. Please stop feeding this fucking fad.

OANST:

feather240:

OANST:

I'm kinda getting that vibe from the escapist in general.(Anecdotal) Almost every article about video games being violent are banned comes with some smug comment on how they're not and everyone who thinks otherwise is a drooling moron.

That is the only reason that I even bring it up. I personally don't believe that video games cause violence, but I also don't think that saying "Nuh-uh, look at this thing that has nothing to do what we're talking about, it proves you wrong" is the way to win an argument. Nor is it an acceptable way to present news. Unless, of course, you work for Fox News.

ok guys please lay off fox news CNN does the same thing. i mean in all fairness fox news does apoligize when they screw up CNN doesnt even do that........

OT: ok this is compleate BS and anyone who would lision to this and beleave it is an idiot.

mr_rubino:

OANST:

mr_rubino:

It works if you try. A) Statistics are not anecdotal evidence. Ill-created surveys certainly are. B) If you're not going to make your point, then don't continue typing.

Statistics absolutely can be anecdotal. If I tell you that the Big Mac causes people to get fat you can say "No, it doesn't. Look at these statistics! Since the Big Mac was introduced there is not a larger percentage of fat people", and you would be wrong. Because the one does not equal the other. Perhaps whatever people used to eat that made them fat is no longer being eaten since the Big Mac came out. Just because there aren't more dead people doesn't mean that a product isn't deadly. It just doesn't work like that.

"The American Public" is a massive hivemind doesn't pay attention to "evidence" that's for those wacky intellectuals who are out of touch with the common man. You need to go with your GUT, and when you see an inflammatory news report blaming something you don't understand that threatens your children and takes responsibility away from you as a parent, well gosh darn it you think it's to blame for all your troubles.

It's the American Way afterall.

OANST:

Everything you post sounds angry because of your avatar, it's like listening to a "RAWR'ing bear, yeah I just wanted you to know that.

...anyway...

It's funny, because when someone Googles 'Americans on Violent Video Games' this site will pop up, and they'll probably only read the title as they scroll through search results. I've heard that seeing headlines or titles will slowly cause you to believe what they say if exposed to them enough, even if the article states the opposite, apparently this happens a lot.

most Americans also believe the sun revolves around the earth too, doesn't make it true.

i wonder if it'd be the same result in other countries...

OANST:

mr_rubino:

OANST:

It works if you try. A) Statistics are not anecdotal evidence. Ill-created surveys certainly are. B) If you're not going to make your point, then don't continue typing.

Statistics absolutely can be anecdotal. If I tell you that the Big Mac causes people to get fat you can "No, it doesn't. Look at these statistics! Since the Big Mac was introduced there is not a larger percentage of fat people", and you would be wrong. Because the one does not equal the other. Perhaps whatever people used to eat that made them fat is no longer being eaten since the Big Mac came out. Just because there aren't more dead people doesn't mean that a product isn't deadly. It just doesn't work like that.

Yes, let's completely ignore the countless studies that found no correlation between crime and violent video games.

I am pretty sure the article is assuming that we already knew about this stuff.

OANST:

Well, care to fix that, or are you just going to be a passive-aggressive jerk who calls out paid journalists without any supporting evidence?

Oh right, it's the internet.

Actually, the questions are reasonably fair in my opinion, especially in comparison to the last survey on video game violence the Escapist posted about.

SomethingAmazing:

OANST:

mr_rubino:

Statistics absolutely can be anecdotal. If I tell you that the Big Mac causes people to get fat you can "No, it doesn't. Look at these statistics! Since the Big Mac was introduced there is not a larger percentage of fat people", and you would be wrong. Because the one does not equal the other. Perhaps whatever people used to eat that made them fat is no longer being eaten since the Big Mac came out. Just because there aren't more dead people doesn't mean that a product isn't deadly. It just doesn't work like that.

Yes, let's completely ignore the countless studies that found no correlation between crime and violent video games.

I am pretty sure the article is assuming that we already knew about this stuff.

Let's not. Those are great. Those should be used as argument instead of anecdotal, worthless evidence.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here