Blizzard Expands Its Creep By 40%

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Prepare your defenses: Blizzard is about to expand its base.

A report from the Orange County Business Journal has detailed a recent land expansion by StarCraft and World of Warcraft studio Blizzard Entertainment. Maybe you've heard of it? According to the report, Blizzard could be preparing for a huge offensive against rival factions.

Or, it just needs more space. The OCBJ says that Blizzard recently signed a lease for two new buildings located near its already huge headquarters in Irvine, California. Blizzard's current HQ takes up around 235,000 square feet of space, and the new buildings will add another 100,000. That's an approximate expansion of 40%.

Why would Blizzard need to expand? Well, duh. World of Warcraft is mega-popular and its third expansion is set for release next month. StarCraft II is also mega-popular and still has two more parts on the way. Diablo III is about to be mega-popular when it's eventually released, and Blizzard is exploring bringing the game to consoles. Meanwhile, Blizzard still has a super secret MMO in development.

With 1,100 employees currently grinding away at Blizzard, the extra 100,000 square feet of space could be just the amount of elbow room that the doctor ordered. It's said to be one of the largest expansions for a technology company in the area since Blizzard doubled its office space in 2007. The new space might not be guarded by an Orc, but expect some kind of similar protection to be put in place.

Source: Orange County Business Journal

For the Horde!

Maybe they are building a Warcraft theme park? Or a Starcraft themed paintball arena? Those would rock.

What is a 'creep' in this context?

Addendum; Someone told me now, thanks.

Don't forget to spawn more overlords!

For The Horde!

Welll they are already geared up to take hold permanently over most of the online gaming. WoW,SC2 and D3 all of which have huge huge huge followings on battle.net and are completely different genres.
And with the new MMO and tons of money behind them its no surprise they wanna expand. My guess is they need alot of new peeps to develop all the cool stuff they have planned for us in the future...

Nincompoop:

Creep is zerg goop from starcraft. Zerg need it to build buildings.

Nincompoop:

That purple stuff. It's required for Zerg structures to be built on top of.

tryx3:

Nincompoop:

snip

Thanks.

Xzi:

Nincompoop:

snip

Thanks.

Excellent article title!

They've got to have somewhere to put all that cash.

I'm sure it's related to the development for their next MMO, and whatever other works of mad genius they're contemplating. SC2 was sprung upon us with little warning, after all. One can only wonder what's next.

mattaui:

I like to imagine it as Scrooge McDuck vault.

Damn, read the title and thought Zerg were going to get a huge creep buff.

I just hope they can make an original game soon. They make solid games but I am getting kinda tired of franchise games.

Tom Goldman:

I thought Kotick was looking well-fed.

ZING!

Bet's that they are going to have a zergling statue :P

Maybe we'll see Starcraft Ghost come-

Nah thats as likely as Warcraft 4 being a RTS

icyneesan:

Please don't get my hopes up...it'll only tear me apart in the end

mattaui:

I'm sure it's related to the development for their next MMO, and whatever other works of mad genius they're contemplating. SC2 was sprung upon us with little warning, after all. One can only wonder what's next.

little warning...their website has been up since 2006 I think.

For da Horde, mon.

Hopefully it's more Warcraft related space, I'm not a huge fan of Diablo or Starcraft.

Blizzard has to have the coolest offices ever.

Well, they've grabbed their natural expansion... but they still require MORE VESPENE GAS.

Man, I wish I lived over that way... maybe get a job with Blizz... that'd be awesome.

I'll have my siege tanks ready by thursday.

Bring it on.

I wonder what will guard the expansion base, though. Perhaps, a hydralisk? Probably only if Weta will take on a project like that. (Answer - if any of them like Blizzard and/or StarCraft, than yes.)

Also: Ha! Nobody's said 'for the alliance' yet.

For the Horde! *raises battleaxe*

Wouldn't a picture of Zerg be a bit more relevant?
Oh well, time to pull up my Banshess.

'FOR THE EMPEROR!'

Good to see, they need it.

I actually pass their building every day for work. This is cool, I guess. Too bad I'm not a Blizzard fan :P

they will probably have to spawn more overlords to support all the new employees

I know that they were listing a metric assload of new jobs at the Blizzard Recruiting Booth at BlizzCon this year, so I guess they needed space to put all those people.

Damn shame that I don't want to move to California because I could've applied for over a dozen jobs...

Nouw:

'FOR THE EMPEROR!'

Err. That is Warhammer...

Hope they end up putting all that new space to good use! I may not be playing WoW anymore and still have not picked up Starcraft 2, but Blizzard still in a quality gaming company in my eyes. I am looking forward to stuff they will end up making in the years to come! :o

More supply depots required.

Must construct additional pylons.

Spawn more Overlords.

(Someone help me out with the Warcraft ones?)

Exort:

Nouw:

'FOR THE EMPEROR!'

Err. That is Warhammer...

Of course lol, it's joke. Emperor Mengsk and all.

With all the dragon and Deathwing love (I'm looking at you Sindrosa login screen), the new space might be guarded by a dragon. Dragons are expensive to hire, but the best security money can buy.

I heard some info from reliable sources that might mean D3 will be released in early 2011. Nothing official has been released yet but if it does happen that means this expansion would be mainly for the MMO they are working on probably. The second and third parts of SCII are mostly based off what they have already done and I doubt they would need to expand for it (not after 95% of everything is already finished). Even if D3 isn't released in early 2011 most of the work on it has also been finished and just needs to be ironed out and tested so again they probably would not need to expand in order for D3 (God I hope it's true about the release date though).

This sounds more like actishit is garrisoning the place with another battalion of "security guards" in case blizzard ever tries to regain their independence then actual expansion on blizzard's part.

I reckon it's either a Scrooge McDuck style money vault, or they needed more than 3 people to work on their mystery MMO.
It would be nice if they started having more then only three IPs

Polish your CVs boys and girls...

If Blizzard is the Zerg, then who is the Terran and Protoss?

icyneesan:

Don't give up hope! I long for the day they re-announce Ghost...

As a side note, Is anyone else almost willing to bet money their Unannounced MMO is going to be in the Starcraft Universe?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here