[UPDATE] Warner Bros. Remaking Wizard of Oz From Original Script

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

[UPDATE] Warner Bros. Remaking Wizard of Oz From Original Script

In a move that's sure to bother no-one, Warner Bros. is planning to remake The Wizard of Oz from the original script.

In a cinematic landscape filled with remakes, reboots, and reimaginings, it seems as though nothing is new. Warner Bros. intends to take things one step further, and remake the classic 1939 film The Wizard of Oz using the original script.

Deadline notes that "Warner Bros owns the screenplay because Ted Turner bought it along with the MGM library before Warner Bros bought Turner's empire," so we should maybe expect this to happen. Back to the Future director Robert Zemeckis is attached to the project, which seems oddly appropriate. Zemeckis has been recently encamped in the uncanny valley, working on holiday-themed action-capture animation (The Polar Express, A Christmas Carol), so it's nice to see him poking his head out to work with humans again.

This is apparently not the only Wizard of Oz-based film in the works. A feature-film adaptation of the 2003 Broadway musical Wicked has been kicked around for years. Disney is looking to land Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes) to star in Oz: The Great and Powerful, presumably a tale about the wizard himself. Sam Raimi (Drag Me To Hell, Spider-Man) is "developing" that project, which could mean writing, directing, or producing, as he's known for all three.

Source: Deadline

UPDATE
Robert Zemeckis's representatives released a statement today to Entertainment Weekly insisting "The reports that Robert Zemeckis is doing The Wizard of Oz are absolutely false." It's unclear whether this denial is a reaction to the internet exploding over his being attached to direct.

Please don't be as bad as the Psycho remake.

original script? any notable differences?

Bad Warner Bros.! BAD! The Wizard of Oz is one of the sacred movies you're not allowed to make. Even the biggest of dipshit ass-hat directors know better than to remake it. It's sacred! SACRED!

SON OF A BITCH! How many Wizards of Ozzes do we need? Also, which script? There were a million versions of The Wizards of Oz made back in the day.

Warner, Remakes and Zemeckis, oh my!

I knew it was only a matter of time before Hollywood began to rape the real classics. What's next masterpiece they're lining up to ruin, Casablanca? Gone with the Wind maybe?

Also yes I am aware that there were more than one Wizard of Oz movies. This however is the one most people know and love.

INteresting...re-making a movie from the original script... A.K.A not butchering the movie with bullshit and idiotic linesthat make no sense... Then again I'd love to see the corny dialogue you'd expect from a 1939 movie in a modern film...

that sounds good, i love the original but maybe with the exception of tinman the costumes are really outdated and some even ugly, so if they follow the script and dont miscast everyone, i can just imagine some idiot wanting to cast miley cirus *shiver*.

but if they treat it with respect and keep the modernization to a appropriate level it will be great.

chickencow:
Bad Warner Bros.! BAD! The Wizard of Oz is one of the sacred movies you're not allowed to make. Even the biggest of dipshit ass-hat directors know better than to remake it. It's sacred! SACRED!

So true. How dare they! If they decide to remake Singin' In The Rain after that, or White Christmas... Consequences will never be the same. D:<

...why not an original movie adaptation of Wicked instead of this? Seriously, most would be against a remake. But one of my favorite musicals on the big screen? I'd go opening night.

Then why the hell remake it at all if you're using the same fucking script?

Still, it'll be nice to see Zemeckis return to live-action again after his CGI misadventures.

oh god, kill it with fire

A serious crime against humanity, really. But people will pay to see it, so humanity has only itself to blame!

chickencow:

So apparently Warner Bros has to follow your rules now? If it wants to remake every film, then let them. Its THEIR choice.

They did it to Willy Wonka, and now The Wizard of Oz?! Does nothing hold sacred against money anymore?! :-(

Just.... why?

What's the point, the big draw was the fact the movie started in black and white then suddenly turned the viewers on their heads by switching to color. Unless WB has the ability to reverse engineer technology, this will never be as good as the original and therefore worthless as a remake.

Wish it was Tim Burton directing. That would be interesting.

This will suck, plain and simple. The Wizard of Oz is one of those films you don't ever remake.

...why? Did someone catch whatever George Lucas has and decided it needs more CG?

Green Tentacle:

chickencow:

So apparently Warner Bros has to follow your rules now? If it wants to remake every film, then let them. Its THEIR choice.

I'm perfectly fine with companies making remakes, but when it comes to major classics like this, it's unacceptable. The only reason they're remaking the movie is because it(obviously) made a lot of money.

I think they'd be better off remaking it based on the books, far less cloying then the movie.

Sometimes I think we were supposed to have a third world war that would have seriously thinned out the boomer population..... Vietnam didn't do the job because it never escalated to WWIII. Now we have Boomers destroying everything sacred in an attempt to make obscene amounts of undeserved wealth. Seriously, I am getting tired of that generation and how good they've had it at the expense of all us younger people.

OT: This would never have come to pass had the third world war taken out the people that run Warner Brothers while they were 20 somethings forced into military service in the 60s and 70s.

As if there were still any doubt, here is your final proof that Hollywood holds nothing sacred and will do anything for a quick buck. In a perfect world, a remake of this high callibur of a movie would spell the end of the careers of everyone involved. It's not perfect though, so all the idiots will flock to the cinemas to see it and oogle at the eye candy and special effects.

Mackheath:

NO! NO. You go sit in the corner and think about what you've said.

irani_che:

Nonono, kill it with water.

Mackheath:

WHY WOULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING!

No, Burton is never allowed to adapt other people's works. He sucks at that as his track record speaks. His only real good movies are his original ones like Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands. But Wonka, Planet of the Apes, Alice.....all sucked, all buchered by Burton.

EDIT: A Wicked movie...cool. A remake of OZ though would trample on too many people's childhoods, not to mention WHAT original script? Like one that followed the book? Because I would LOVE to see the Quadlings on bigscreen and hear the confused people who have no clue what they are.

Anybody remember Tin Man? I loved Tin Man.

I'm reminded of Red Letter Media's review of the 2009 Star Trek where they said that Hollywood is making anything they can that has instant recognizably for the average person.

I went into this article thinking the tone was sarcastic. I went away with the sinking feeling that the phrase "In a move that's sure to bother no-one" was spoken in earnest.

I'm not even that big a fan of the Wizard of Oz, but I can recognize this as perhaps one of the most terrible ideas I have ever heard in modern cinematic history. If you're going to do something like this, at least put a novel spin on it, like Tin Man. As it is, this seems very much like it's just going to be a less good, more terrible version of the original.

Dangit, Hollywood.

I'm open to this. I highly doubt it will have any sort of "classic" feel to it, but it might be nice to see the movie in a way that isn't so dated.

This is coming from some one who actually liked the Willy Wanka remake. I was able to watch that one with no expectations from seeing the original a million times. By itself I thought it stood well on its own, despite it lacking all of that "classic" feel of the original. Maybe, just maybe the new Oz will be great, but not classic as well.

Why remake it at all though? Probably just to grab more money. I'm fine with that as long as they do their work right. It's not like most stories now are rehashes of other stories already. They are just taking it a step further and not changing the names of the places and characters.

IIRC, the ORIGINAL script of WoOz was kind of fucked up compared to the one that got used...

This will be horrible

Ldude893:

irani_che:

Nonono, kill it with water.

I sea what you did there.

As long as they don't put Zooey "Blank Stares Only" Deschanel in as the Dorothy figure again like SyFy did for Tinman, it might be worth a gander at least.

In fact, if they just make it better than Tinman (so better than mostly crap), it might amount to something not completely hateable.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here