The Witcher 2: Epic, Everywhere and No DRM

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Witcher 2: Epic, Everywhere and No DRM

CD Projekt Red lifted the lid on a whole new pile of Witcher 2 details today, including a massive collector's edition, digital distribution promos and some very surprising news about your DRM options.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is coming next year and at a conference today, CD Projekt Red dropped some pretty amazing details about what we can expect on the big day. The game will be released in two editions, Premium - which is the "basic" edition - and a ridiculously over-the-top Collector's Edition. The regular version is "premium" because it's going to include a whole pile of extras including a pamphlet lifted directly from the game, papercraft models of Geralt and another random character, a strategy guide, a "cursed coin" and more. CD Projekt said the idea is to hearken back to "the way games used to be," when publishers put more into boxes than just a disc and a little piece of paper.

For those who want even more, there's the truly epic Collector's Edition, which will include the game as above along with a bag of five dice, a full-sized deck of cards, Dandelion's guide to cheating at dice and cards (I'm not making this up), a 200-page hardcover art book, more papercraft, unique colletor's edition DLC and the pièce de résistance, an imitation marble bust of Geralt that looks big and heavy enough to do some serious damage in an emergency.

The Witcher 2 is available for preorder from the usual retailers as well as various digital distributors including Steam, but it can also be preordered and purchased from none other than GOG.com, CD Projekt's "sister company" that normally deals with re-releases of older games. It may not be old but it certainly looks good and GOG is offering a number of very cool incentives to buy it from them, most notably that, like everything else in its catalog, The Witcher 2 on GOG will be completely DRM free.

Sweetening the deal even more, GOG is offering a "fair price package" on the game, giving buyers in Europe and the U.K. an in-store credit in U.S. dollars to make up the price difference between their purchase and the worldwide, ie. U.S., cost. Gamers who preorder and purchase through GOG will also be given one of five classic RPGs as a bonus along with GOG-exclusive DLC. The digital edition of the game from all online retailers will include all of the content that comes with the standard release of the game - remember, that's the "premium" edition - in digital format.

The Witcher was the very definition of a sleeper hit and CD Projekt is clearly serious about building on that success. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is scheduled for release on May 17, 2011, exclusively for the PC. More information about the game, the preorder and more can be found at buy.thewitcher.com.

Cd Project are fast becoming the best developer around... in the short time they have been around that have really worked for the audience.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO buying the big, over the top, super duper edition.

EDIT... ORDERED.... C'mon May :<

I am having a hard time justifying paying that much for the collector's edition, but I know in the end I will probably give in to the little person inside myself yelling, "but look how COOL it looks!"

But even the regular edition is pretty solid. It's pretty much a baseline collector's edition in its own right.

As for me, I'm all over that CE. Price be damned. :)

I guess I'll pick this one up just to encourage the DRM free, PC-exclusive. Though that leaves me in the uncomfortable situation of needing to play the predecesor. I already have Baldur's Gate 1-2, Planescape, Deus Ex & Dragon Age on my agenda and can't really see any light through the blockade of school and homework.

Argh, why must RPG:s be so long!

Can't wait for this. I tried the original but couldn't get into it, but this looks great.

Please don't pirate it you fucking morons.

Lordmarkus:

:o SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Don't say shit like this man, someone might take notice :(

Well, if you are going to buy the digital version, buy it from GoG, not from Steam. No DRM is a step in the right direction.

Putting more than a cd and a slip of paper in the box is also the right direction (though the original game did that too).

Woodsey:
Can't wait for this. I tried the original but couldn't get into it, but this looks great.

Please don't pirate it you fucking morons.

lol wouldn't that be a huge sign, almost no piracy, or an exteme amount of it.

Wait how much will the over the top edition be?

I want the collector's edition but I'm really not interested in a giant bust of Geralt hanging around my room.

Fumbleumble:

Lordmarkus:

Don't say shit like this man, someone take notice :(

But I love my 3 hour campaign with crappy MP that'll set me back 60+ $, ingenious storytelling and smartmouthed skulls be damned!

YES!

Wait, will it be DRM free only if you buy from GoG.com or will it be DRM free if you buy anywhere(barring Steam of course)?

EDIT: Question has been answered. It should be fine, no more then a disk check(hopefully).

Praise be to CD Projekt Red.

Sounds good and all, but what I really need to know...
Are they gonna keep all that great T&A in this one or will they make it tamer?

Take note developers: THIS is how you circumvent piracy. You DON'T include DRM which only hurts the paying customers.

I wasn't even much of a fan of the first Witcher, but I might buy the CE just to support these guys as in every way possible.

Irridium:
YES!

Wait, will it be DRM free only if you buy from GoG.com or will it be DRM free if you buy anywhere(barring Steam of course)?

I'd imagine the boxed copy would only have like a CD Key or something like that. To my limited knowledge my rattly old brain seems to remember reading that CD Projekt Red isn't really a fan of DRM.

Holy crap, that is so awesome. Ever since The Witcher first put CD Projekt Red on my radar I've held them up as sterling examples of how developers should relate to the community of customers they're seeking to build, but this? This is just ridiculously beyond expectations - the contents of the regular boxed copy of the game are what you'd expect to find in a collectors' edition. Seriously, that is awesome.

Now to justify paying $130 for the actual collectors edition...

AC10:

Irridium:
YES!

I'd imagine the boxed copy would only have like a CD Key or something like that. To my limited knowledge my rattly old brain seems to remember reading that CD Projekt Red isn't really a fan of DRM.

The original Witcher had either a disc check or just no DRM at all, depending on your region (supposedly the US still had a disc check but I never needed to keep the game disc in the drive to play with my copy from day one), and they later patched any DRM that was there out.

I want that collectors edition so bad. Especially now since I missed the Mafia 2 Collectors edition because it wasn't relesed for PC at least not here where I live.

Currently playing through the the first one and loving it. If the engine runs much better this time around (and it sure looks like it does), this will be a day one purchase for me.

Anyone know the specs? Not wanting to place a pre-order until I know that I can run it (or what I will have to buy to run it).

sounds like Im gonna have to get a physical copy since I miss when games used to come with cool stuff so Im all about cool stuff

Lordmarkus:

Fumbleumble:

Lordmarkus:

Don't say shit like this man, someone take notice :(

But I love my 3 hour campaign with crappy MP that'll set me back 60+ $, ingenious storytelling and smartmouthed skulls be damned!

Lmao.. ain't that just the cant of it, jink ;)

(And to the person who asked how much the uber version is.... I just droppped £70.99 (inc P&P) for it on Amazon.... not I just have to wait til May :/)

AC10:

Gildan Bladeborn:

brain seems to remember reading that CD Projekt Red isn't really a fan of DRM.

The original Witcher had either a disc check or just no DRM at all, depending on your region (supposedly the US still had a disc check but I never needed to keep the game disc in the drive to play with my copy from day one), and they later patched any DRM that was there out.[/quote]

Alright then, thanks for the clarification.

Also:

Now to justify paying $130 for the actual collectors edition...

Justify it by saying your doing it to support an amazing company.

I so wanted to like the first witcher game but I really couldnt. Its just something about the game that I found uninteresting. It was hard to feel compelled to like the chars, even though I normally like the notion of an apathetic prime char. In the witcher it comes off like "Well if the main char doesnt give a shit, then why should I?"

O...M...G... not only the game is realising one day before my birthday, It'll be available on GOG DRM free!??.

I'm on a strict diet of The Witcher right now and this only reinforces my love for the franchise. Screw Steam, I'm buying this from GOG =D.

Garak73:
Anyone know the specs? Not wanting to place a pre-order until I know that I can run it (or what I will have to buy to run it).

Wiki is our friend :), sometimes.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD
Memory: 1 GB for Win XP / 2 GB for Win Vista
Graphics: Nvidia GF 8800 512 VR or similar ATI
Hard Drive: 8GB for game and 8GB bonus content

OT: Will probably get this, graphics look so much better (as they should) and combat looks more fluid and im all for the maps and stuff.

Killermud:

Garak73:

Wiki is our friend :), sometimes.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD
Memory: 1 GB for Win XP / 2 GB for Win Vista
Graphics: Nvidia GF 8800 512 VR or similar ATI
Hard Drive: 8GB for game and 8GB bonus content

OT: Will probably get this, graphics look so much better (as they should) and combat looks more fluid and im all for the maps and stuff.

Thanks

I gotta go back and finish (by finish I mean replay) the firs game. I played it for a while before I got side tracked with other games and sort of left it on the back burner...and then had to reformat my computer last night which didn't help. I enjoyed what time I spent with it, easily one of the better PC RPGs to come out in a long time and severely under appreciated compared to other more popular titles.

So it comes out in may eh? Plenty of time to replay the first game, maybe over the holidays or something.

Either way...*runs out and pre-orders collectors edition*

I am sorely tempted to buy it simply because of how awesome the developers are.

And I got the first one for £3.75, too.

Also, this is why I still love PC gaming, despite the DRM and shitty ports that infest most of it.

That, and minecraft.

Damn, I wish beyond all wishes that this treatment had been given to more, better games. I just could never get into The Witcher despite how much I love RPGS.

KorLeonis:
Sounds good and all, but what I really need to know...
Are they gonna keep all that great T&A in this one or will they make it tamer?

I'll admit, I'm curious about this as well, actually giving us some sex to go with the violence, tame as it still was, even in the 'uncensored' version. Given that it's PC only, they don't have to worry about sanitizing it for consoles, though I'm guessing we'll still see a difference between the American version and the one that ships in the UK.

I'll laugh when it becomes hugely pirated. Then I'll be sitting here laughing as pirates try to explain they did it because of DRM. Oh wait it has no DRM, so you have no excuse.

Jiraiya72:
I'll laugh when it becomes hugely pirated. Then I'll be sitting here laughing as pirates try to explain they did it because of DRM. Oh wait it has no DRM, so you have no excuse.

This is actually the first time there's no excuse for pirating this. I have to admit I pirate games regularly, altough I buy games when I can, and I'm definatly going to buy this. I just have to. Look at all that stuff! And it's not even that expensive! This is a good solution, not all that DRM crap.

Jiraiya72:

Except if they're lying through their teeth again like they did with TWEE, which was also supposed to be DRM free and included starforce or tages, depending on your region. The first makes your dvd drive self destruct and the second doubles load times(conservative estimate), devours tons of CPU power and makes the game crash constantly on slow computers.

Given their 0 truths 1 lies total score on this topic, I'm very, very weary of them and have absolutely no intention of purchasing this before I have access to some more trustworthy source about their "no drm" and a demo/benchmark of their new engine. I won't fault others for getting that demo through unofficial means given the developer's reputation.

Icarion:
Wait how much will the over the top edition be?

Play says £70. So, we're talking SC2 Collector's Edition money here.

@KorLeonis: Judging by the game demo after the announcement, it seems that the answer's currently "yes".

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here