God of War Dev: PSP "Was Doomed From the Start"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

God of War Dev: PSP "Was Doomed From the Start"

The PSP may have sold 50 million units since its 2004 launch, but the co-founder of the studio behind God of War: Ghost of Sparta thinks that it was doomed to failure from the get-go.

Pop quiz time! Someone is saying that the PSP was ill-fated from the start. Is it A.) Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime, crowing about the success of the DS? B.) Analyst Michael Pachter, who thinks the handheld is overpriced? Or is it C.) The co-founder of a studio that made a critically acclaimed PSP game based on one of Sony's most popular internally created franchises?

As strange as it sounds - or perhaps not, given that you probably read the headline above this - the answer is "C." Those are the words of Ru Weerasuriya, co-founder of God of War: Ghost of Sparta developer Ready at Dawn, who discussed the trials and tribulations of Sony's first entry into the handheld market, which hit shelves in 2004.

Speaking with Edge magazine (as reported by CVG), Weerasuriya admitted that the PSP had suffered shortcomings - particularly when up against the DS - and in some ways couldn't be considered a "a true portable gaming platform."

"It was the first portable that Sony released - it's a trial by fire," said Weerasuriya. "It's a good platform and you can make amazing things on it. I think that we've tried as much as possible to prove that in the last seven years ... but it was doomed from the beginning, that's its biggest problem."

In case you thought that might just be a slip of the tongue, he repeated the point. "It was doomed from the very get-go. There are some things which aren't conductive to calling it a true portable gaming platform and calling it a connective platform, although it has wi-fi," he admitted, "There's so many things that publishers and the manufacturer and Sony dropped the ball on - it's natural, it's the first one."

Early iterations of the PSP in particular suffered from hardware issues like poor battery life or mysteriously self-ejecting UMD carts, yes. It's also true that when up against the mammoth success of the DS - second only to the mighty PS2 in terms of total lifetime unit sales - anything might seem like a failure. But the PSP sold 50 million copies, Mr. Weerasuriya. That's hardly floundering in the water.

It's hard to say that a man who worked on a critically-acclaimed PSP title doesn't know what he's talking about, but it's a strange thing to hear nonetheless. Perhaps he thinks Sony will do better, say, its second time around?

Yep. "That hope that you can have is that they learn from that experience when they make the next one, and that they solve the issues with the PSP and the PSPgo - and also that they learn from what the others are doing."

Let's see if Kevin Butler returns your calls anymore, Mr. Weerasuriya.

(CVG)

I wouldn't call it a failure...I'd call it a failure compared to the DS.

There is nothing I love more than my DS.

I was going to get a PSP, but I'm waiting to see if the PSP2 is backwards compatible.

John Funk:

Let's see if Kevin Butler returns your calls anymore, Mr. Weerasuriya.

The PSP rep is some kid named Marcus.

I like how Sony thinks that iPhone games are it's only competition, and completely ignores the DS in these series of ads.

I love the games on my PSP but putting it on the charger every 4 hours doesn't feel very portable to me. I worry about running out of batteries during a round trip bus ride from my school. My DS will last for days, even though it is old and decrepit and is no longer running optimally. It's also survived way more drops with far less damage.

Next time Sony makes a handheld, please make it durable.

Problems with the psp

joystick x1 WHY the hell not 2,
poor ergonomices can hurt after a while,
flmsy umd
bad place to put the charger cable while playing games (it was so awkward)
better games library

apart from that the psp was good after 2-3 years with it (i think) i have 1 small crack and broken umd`s i even managed to fix it after leaving it in the case outside overnight in th rain.

I think the man was raising issue with the technology? Like you said, 50million units is not a small number of sales. I would then have to believe he was talking more so about the learning curve Sony is going through.

There are perfectionists in this world. And I think many of them are geeks. (I dare anyone to look in on a cable management community forum, those people are ANAL!)

Ok, how about the fact that the DS breaks for no god damn reason, assuming you use it regularly? I for one have gone through 3 DS lites, all brand new, my sister has had the same, the games are short and typically ugly, along with the fact that very few of them are not full of gimmicky bullshit, makes it feel like the DS is aimed at young children, hell even DQIXs whole punch line was "dress up your characters!" The shoulder buttons break with frequent use, the battery life on my sisters DS is now about 5 hours and she's had it less than a year, the average price for a used DS game is around $20 and those games are still ugly and short. I mean, really the DS has a huge library of games, and I've found about twenty I like, plus the PSP can play MP3s naturally, whereas the DS has to be a DSi or you have to have a Flashcart! I, for one, can not wait to get a PSP 3000 for christmas and leave the DS rotting in the dirt where it belongs. Face it, with games like Mana Khemia for the PSP and DQIX 'dress up your hero like a fairy princess now!' for the DS I honestly see no failure.

blakfayt:
Ok, how about the fact that the DS breaks for no god damn reason, assuming you use it regularly? I for one have gone through 3 DS lites, all brand new, my sister has had the same...

Just out of curiosity, how often do you play DS and for how long each session? How long does one last on average before it breaks?

For other people, do you have a similar record of broken DSes?

The PSP while sold enough to barely pay for itself and get abit of profit off it was doomed from the start the reason? UDM. . .

The PSP is still a bad media player, the DS is more of game machine than media player so you can't really compare them there.

THo I would really like to see portable games being sold as digital content for the console, I hate the 3DS it dose nothing to fix the issues of the old DS and the PSP2 probly will be as half assed.....

Well I think a lot of people in the industry are so competitive that not being top dog is considered to be a failure, even if they are making decent money.

That said I do sort of agree with him. The PSP had a lot of strengths in terms of it's graphics capabilities, storage abillities and such compared to those of the DS. However it also suffered greatly from how the controls were set up, to a limited battery life making it difficult to use for extended periods of time, to being large enough where it wasn't as portable as other items like a DS or Cell Phone.

I have both a DS and a PSP, and while by all rights the PSP should be better, I find it more difficult to use in it's intented function of "on the go gaming".

That said, I do think that for the next generation of portables there needs to be some universal design rules put into place for games. One issue I have with games on both platforms is that a lot of them use save checkpoints of some kind. I believe that it's imperitive that any portable game be something you can save easily and "snap off" at any given time no matter how deep the game.

I say this because on many occasions with both game platforms I've lost tons of progress because I'd be using the system "as intended" in a waiting room or something and then when my name is called go in for my appointment, only to find later that the game itself ran out of power in it's sleep mode, or got turned off accidently. When your sick and want to see a doctor for example saying "oh hey, wait a second while I save my game" is stupid, never mind if you've made an appointment with someone you need to try and convince to do something for you.

I consider this a flaw for both platforms, but it's honestly pretty pronounced. Games like "Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker" or any of the "Monster Hunter" games are incredible achievements for such a small system, BUT the mission structures and such are hardly ideal for "on the go gaming", and no offense if I'm not out and around I'm going to be using my PC or a console to game.

With the PSP, a lot of the games (like MGS: Peace Walker, and Monster Hunter) were begging for a dual thumbstick conrol scheme, and really it's awkward under the best times to control them. Whether to blame the developers or the hardware designer is difficult to know because I don't know how the design toolkits work, but the bottom line is that even if playable there is no excuse for the way some of these games handle due to the hardware's own control arrangements.

ZippyDSMlee:
The PSP while sold enough to barely pay for itself and get abit of profit off it was doomed from the start the reason? UDM. . .

The PSP is still a bad media player, the DS is more of game machine than media player so you can't really compare them there.

THo I would really like to see portable games being sold as digital content for the console, I hate the 3DS it dose nothing to fix the issues of the old DS and the PSP2 probly will be as half assed.....

How is it a bad media player? You are right that it is more media orientated than just for games like the DS but I still find it handy to watch whole films and Top Gear Episodes or just lock it up, put it in the coat pocket and makes for a clear sounding MP3 player :)

OT however although I love the socks off my PSP, he is somewhat right though. The PSP got ripped by the general public so bad initially for having a poor battery life, a somewhat delicate and scratch-magnet screen, plus the dying format of the UMD.
I'll admit to it's little faults and quirks as much as the next open minded user, seriously. But overall I find it to be a great little system that does more than just play quality games of all genres (except for the FPS really)

I think he means it didn't have 2 analog sticks.

blakfayt:
Ok, how about the fact that the DS breaks for no god damn reason, assuming you use it regularly? I for one have gone through 3 DS lites, all brand new, my sister has had the same, the games are short and typically ugly, along with the fact that very few of them are not full of gimmicky bullshit, makes it feel like the DS is aimed at young children, hell even DQIXs whole punch line was "dress up your characters!" The shoulder buttons break with frequent use, the battery life on my sisters DS is now about 5 hours and she's had it less than a year, the average price for a used DS game is around $20 and those games are still ugly and short. I mean, really the DS has a huge library of games, and I've found about twenty I like, plus the PSP can play MP3s naturally, whereas the DS has to be a DSi or you have to have a Flashcart! I, for one, can not wait to get a PSP 3000 for christmas and leave the DS rotting in the dirt where it belongs. Face it, with games like Mana Khemia for the PSP and DQIX 'dress up your hero like a fairy princess now!' for the DS I honestly see no failure.

DS has plenty of fantastic and unique games.....and mine still works perfectly and runs for over 5 hours nearly 6 years after I bought it....and I play the shit out of it. I think your real problem is insecurity over the already unjustified assumption that the device is for little children.

I also have to call bullshit. You claim that you and your sister have gone through 6 DSlites? You're either being careless with them, or you're full of crap. Why would you even buy more than 1 if you're so convinced it belongs rotting in the dirt?

I had a PSP since launch, it went through a lot! It got dinged up, scratched, stolen (twice, the first time I got it back) and generally beat up (not by me, by the person that stole it in the first place)! It was still working perfectly fine. I had my DS for about a year and a half... nothing serious happened to it... then one day I open it up to play it and found that the top screen had cracked. Damnedest thing.

Mr.Petey:

ZippyDSMlee:

How is it a bad media player? You are right that it is more media orientated than just for games like the DS but I still find it handy to watch whole films and Top Gear Episodes or just lock it up, put it in the coat pocket and makes for a clear sounding MP3 player :)

OT however although I love the socks off my PSP, he is somewhat right though. The PSP got ripped by the general public so bad initially for having a poor battery life, a somewhat delicate and scratch-magnet screen, plus the dying format of the UMD.
I'll admit to it's little faults and quirks as much as the next open minded user, seriously. But overall I find it to be a great little system that does more than just play quality games of all genres (except for the FPS really)

Well compare it with a video/music player the PSP is lacking tho once unlocked its probly more versatile than a Itouch, the DS dose not have the hardware to do much tho the M3 made it a nice MP3 player. LOL

All in all what killed the PSP was high price, UDM and a general hard time for devs to port and make games for it.

I still have TV out (which the PSP has) or the ability to play the games on the home console.

Bah, I end up playing my PSP far more than the DS. So far, I turn the DS on for 15-30 mins at most to check the DQ store for Dragon Quest 9.

Last several games I've gotten though, have been PSP. Persona 3 Portable, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and ZHP are far and away a hell of a lot better than the 90% of garbage that floods the DS. Sure the psp has its own shovelware titles, but not nearly as bad as the DS and its "preschooler can code" games.

The layout can suck at times, but its not exactly an issue for every game. The one analog stick is included with that, I played Monster Hunter just fine with one stick, and not using that whole "claw" thing people loved to do. And personally the battery life hasn't bothered me.

But of course the PSP was doomed, if you compare it to the only other system out there. Just like any MMO ever is doomed when you compare it to WoW.

Onyx Oblivion:
I like how Sony thinks that iPhone games are it's only competition, and completely ignores the DS in these series of ads.

Sony is so far behind the DS that they know not to bother. Better to attack Apple and they are doing that quite well actually. As much as I hate Marcus, he's right. PSP has real games, iPhone has cheap games, and most of them get beaten by free stuff on Flash game sites.

GahzlyGriffon:
Problems with the psp

joystick x1 WHY the hell not 2,
poor ergonomices can hurt after a while,
flmsy umd
bad place to put the charger cable while playing games (it was so awkward)
better games library

Also the power...switch? The bit that turns the device on...it's in a very awkward place as well. I've lost track of the number of times I've accidentally put the PSP into sleep mode or completely turned it off while gaming.

The library isn't as terrible as it was. It's just difficult to find the games (especially the older ones like Katamari).

I have both a DS and a PSP (I've had 2 PSP's both have broken...and I have 2 DS neither have broken in the same amount of time) and I actually preferred the games on my PSP for the most part. I also enjoyed how easy it was to turn it into an ebook reader (just convert text files into a series of pictures and load them on the PSP) and used it for that for years.

Main problem I had with it is the PSP breaks WAY to easily. The first time my wife dropped the PSP and although it wasn't a huge fall or anything it's understandable that it might break. It's not understandable that without being in warrenty it cost more to have it fixed then it did to buy a new one though.

The second PSPI got (a 3000) broke without falling at all. The screen just started to have wavy lines all across it so you could not read anything or see well enough to play a game. I tried to fix it myself but stopped at ordering a new screen so I have a bunch of UMD's and no working PSP.

I'm waiting on the PsP2 to see if it will actually read UMD's as the trade in value for all my 20 or so PSP games is almost worthless. I'm not shelling out another 100$ dollars for yet another PSP with them breaking so easily though that is for sure. Maybe the PSPgo is more sturdy but I wouldn't be able to play my UMD games in it even if it was....so that defeats the point right there.

My wife drops her DS fairly regularly (not like every week but I mean probably 20+ times at least in the last few years) and it works just fine. I've never dropped my DS but I only use it everyone once and awhile and have never had battery problems etc due to not charging it for long periods etc.

While I liked the PSP better, the DS is just WAY more reliable. I wish it was a good ebook reader as my PSP was (Without uploading software to it or whatever you have to do to make the DS into an ebook reader). I did like Phantasy Star online portable for my PSP along with quite a few other games that I have (not to mention having the Final Fantasy games in portable form was awesome) and I really want to play Phantasy Star Portable 2 sometime...so I hope the PSP2 comes out soon.

I'm contemplating trying to buy a used PSP (either from Gamestop or another party) so I can be sure the screen works well etc before I get it. Still most places are charging over $100 for a used psp...which is a pretty large investment just to play a few games....especailly when I have already invested $300+ in previous systems.

...it's the company's first portable unit, it's lasted since 2004, and has sold 50 million units. Take your 'doomed from the start' bullshit and shove it. Reality objects.

Tim Latshaw:

blakfayt:
Ok, how about the fact that the DS breaks for no god damn reason, assuming you use it regularly? I for one have gone through 3 DS lites, all brand new, my sister has had the same...

Just out of curiosity, how often do you play DS and for how long each session? How long does one last on average before it breaks?

I had to return two DSes because of "the crack." It was a widespread enough problem they returned them no questions asked. Early versions of both the original and the Lite had some known problems.

Electrogecko:
I think he means it didn't have 2 analog sticks.

blakfayt:

DS has plenty of fantastic and unique games.....and mine still works perfectly and runs for over 5 hours nearly 6 years after I bought it....and I play the shit out of it. I think your real problem is insecurity over the already unjustified assumption that the device is for little children.

I also have to call bullshit. You claim that you and your sister have gone through 6 DSlites? You're either being careless with them, or you're full of crap. Why would you even buy more than 1 if you're so convinced it belongs rotting in the dirt?

Yeah, the first one took a two foot drop from my pocket to the carpet, broke the top screen clean off, second one had the same problem except I just opened it one day and oops, it broke. We are both on our third one and my top screen is getting flimsy and hers, well it's covered in broken parts, but still works, not that anyone will buy it now.
In response to feeling "insecure" it is for kids, there are a few adult games, GTA, Dementium the ward, Luminous Arc, but most games are all about the "oooh look, touch this mans tummy to make him burp!" or what the hell ever, and you can't argue with me there, I was a pirate for two and a half years, I've played almost every game for the DS up till about six months ago, they fucking blow. Plus the prices for the games are insane, $35 for the first megaman starforce game, and it sucked! I have bought more than one for the handful of good games like Megaman zero collection, and the list of more "adult" oriented games listed above.

Tim Latshaw:

blakfayt:

My first DS lasted for almost 2 years, the second lasted for about a year and this one has lasted for about 5 months and hasn't broken yet, also I play them for hours, like 12 or better at a time, I want something that is more of a mobile console than a handheld. Which is something that the PSP is, it has ports of the first two disgaea games, which I love, and many remakes of PS1 games, like Star Ocean 2.

blakfayt:

Yeah, the first one took a two foot drop from my pocket to the carpet, broke the top screen clean off, second one had the same problem except I just opened it one day and oops, it broke. We are both on our third one and my top screen is getting flimsy and hers, well it's covered in broken parts, but still works, not that anyone will buy it now.
In response to feeling "insecure" it is for kids, there are a few adult games, GTA, Dementium the ward, Luminous Arc, but most games are all about the "oooh look, touch this mans tummy to make him burp!" or what the hell ever, and you can't argue with me there, I was a pirate for two and a half years, I've played almost every game for the DS up till about six months ago, they fucking blow. Plus the prices for the games are insane, $35 for the first megaman starforce game, and it sucked! I have bought more than one for the handful of good games like Megaman zero collection, and the list of more "adult" oriented games listed above.....

My first DS lasted for almost 2 years, the second lasted for about a year and this one has lasted for about 5 months and hasn't broken yet, also I play them for hours, like 12 or better at a time, I want something that is more of a mobile console than a handheld. Which is something that the PSP is, it has ports of the first two disgaea games, which I love, and many remakes of PS1 games, like Star Ocean 2.

You seem to play a shitload of DS for someone who says the console belongs rotting in the dirt. And a games rating shouldn't affect how good you think it is. (by "adult oriented" I assume you mean the rating of the game, which is by no means related to the maturity level of the game) Yes the console is subjected to shovelware, but so is every console. An abundance of shitty games doesn't take away from the fun you have with the device. (unless you pirate and try out every game there is for the console) If you've played as many games as you claim you have, then you've played the Phoenix Wright series, Mario 64 DS, Elite Beat Agents, New Super Mario Bros, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, Mario Kart DS, Rhythm Heaven, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story, the Professor Layton games, Metroid Prime Hunters, Maestro: Jump in Music (underrated game with a great concept), The World Ends With You, Yoshi's Island DS, Big Bang Mini, Trauma Center, Final Fantasy 4, March of the Minis, Henry Hatsworth, Advance Wars, etc. and you know how unique and fantastic the games for the system are and can be.

Electrogecko:

blakfayt:

In response to feeling "insecure" it is for kids, there are a few adult games, GTA, Dementium the ward, Luminous Arc, but most games are all about the "oooh look, touch this mans tummy to make him burp!" or what the hell ever, and you can't argue with me there, I was a pirate for two and a half years, I've played almost every game for the DS up till about six months ago, they fucking blow. Plus the prices for the games are insane, $35 for the first megaman starforce game, and it sucked! I have bought more than one for the handful of good games like Megaman zero collection, and the list of more "adult" oriented games listed above.....

You seem to play a shitload of DS for someone who says the console belongs rotting in the dirt. And a games rating shouldn't affect how good you think it is. (by "adult oriented" I assume you mean the rating of the game, which is by no means related to the maturity level of the game) Yes the console is subjected to shovelware, but so is every console. An abundance of shitty games doesn't take away from the fun you have with the device. (unless you pirate and try out every game there is for the console) If you've played as many games as you claim you have, then you've played the Phoenix Wright series, Mario 64 DS, Elite Beat Agents, New Super Mario Bros, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, Mario Kart DS, Rhythm Heaven, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story, the Professor Layton games, Metroid Prime Hunters, Maestro: Jump in Music (underrated game with a great concept), The World Ends With You, Yoshi's Island DS, Big Bang Mini, Trauma Center, Final Fantasy 4, March of the Minis, Henry Hatsworth, Advance Wars, etc. and you know how unique and fantastic the games for the system are and can be.

When I say adult oriented I mean that the game isn't presented in an overly cartoonish manner with absurdities, I for one hate mario games, all of them. Trauma center was insanely hard, but a good distraction, TWEWY is my favorite game ever, all zelda DS games were crap to me, the fact that I couldn't use the buttons pissed me off, Phoenix Wright is another not for me series, I have played and disliked them all, along with the popular Professor Layton games. Most of the games you cite as being good are games I hold as crap. The best games I've found for the DS are TWEWY, Rune Factory, Advance Wars DS was better than Days of ruin, and Dementium the ward. Basically I like games that have story, and for whatever reason I don't like FF games much any more, so the DS has very few games like that, there are exceptions, many I have stated, but the few gems in that large library is insane compared to all the many games I know I would like from the PSP library, and PSP games are cheaper than the DS ones.

I'm not trying to start a war or nothing, I know this is just personal preference, and I've had a DS for nearly four years now and have never once played a PSP. Just need a new system and new games.

I would hardly consider the PSP "doomed", 50 million, as you said, is nothing to scoff at.

However, in the most basic sense of what he's saying, I do partially agree with him. This was Sony's first "true" break into the handheld industry (Disregarding PocketStation), and the franchise itself has stayed relatively strong for 7 years.

While it's nowhere near as successful as the DS franchise, that doesn't mean it isn't successful in itself. Of course everyone is going to look like they suck if they're compared to Nintendo, that doesn't mean they're bad.

I'm not much of a handheld gamer in general, neither the DS or PSP (or iPhone) have done it for me, but regardless I'm still interested to see what Sony has in store for the "PSP2"

My god, are they horrid at keeping secrets.

blakfayt:

Thanks for the info. From the way you describe your taste in games, it does sound like you'd enjoy a PSP more. I'm guessing you'd play with it plugged in most of the time, too, so the the battery life wouldn't be an issue.

Different strokes for different folks.

Lets hope PSP2 will be equally amazing and go beyond it even. I am having some great expectations for it.

blakfayt:
When I say adult oriented I mean that the game isn't presented in an overly cartoonish manner with absurdities, I for one hate mario games, all of them. Trauma center was insanely hard, but a good distraction, TWEWY is my favorite game ever, all zelda DS games were crap to me, the fact that I couldn't use the buttons pissed me off, Phoenix Wright is another not for me series, I have played and disliked them all, along with the popular Professor Layton games. Most of the games you cite as being good are games I hold as crap. The best games I've found for the DS are TWEWY, Rune Factory, Advance Wars DS was better than Days of ruin, and Dementium the ward. Basically I like games that have story, and for whatever reason I don't like FF games much any more, so the DS has very few games like that, there are exceptions, many I have stated, but the few gems in that large library is insane compared to all the many games I know I would like from the PSP library, and PSP games are cheaper than the DS ones.

I'm not trying to start a war or nothing, I know this is just personal preference, and I've had a DS for nearly four years now and have never once played a PSP. Just need a new system and new games.

Fair enough.
I could continue to talk about how I think not liking a game for having an exagerated art style is kinda shallow and narrow minded and the Phoenix Wright games haves an amazing story (across the entire series, each game individually, and each chapter of each game) along with several other games in my list, and how inconcievable it is to me that a person can hate every Mario game, but I submit.

Electrogecko:

blakfayt:

Fair enough.
I could continue to talk about how I think not liking a game for having an exagerated art style is kinda shallow and narrow minded and the Phoenix Wright games haves an amazing story (across the entire series, each game individually, and each chapter of each game) along with several other games in my list, and how inconcievable it is to me that a person can hate every Mario game, but I submit.

Well I agree, it's not the art style that I complain about being exaggerated, it's the story parts, I like a game that has a functional story line, I for one hate when games have huge plot issues with something a normal person could have thought their way through in about five minutes, or games where the plot is just like "what the fuck?" I don't like having to suspend my disbelief when certain things happen. (I just think violently, puzzle solving games like Professor Layton bore me, where are action games like TWEWY excite me, games like Advance wars are my favorite for combining both elements fantastically)
And I did enjoy what I played of the Phoenix Wright games, unfortunately it's another puzzle solving type game and I ended up using a walkthrough to beat it, which left me sorely disappointed in the game play department. (no sense of accomplishment and I could have sworn I did everything for that trial that the walkthrough said, I'm fairly smart but I prefer not to have to think too hard when playing games) As for mario, well at some point I just stopped enjoying it, the last mario game I really like was 64 everyone past that I've just not really cared for. Once again, just personal preference, I prefer more action than jumping on everything. (I'm not specifically mario biased, but I would rather spend my money on something like Mana Khemia Student alliance, a game that I have already spent 50+ hours on the PS2 counter part, as opposed to mario where I'm sure the princess has been kidnapped, or is in some sort of mortal danger, and mario will stomp on some goombahs and save the day. for the record I loved Mario when I was a kid, Super Mario World was in my SNES every day for two years, at some point though I just moved on to other genres)
Once more, just saying, this is how I feel about it all, I'm not saying mario is the worst game ever and as Tim Latshaw said to me

Tim Latshaw:

blakfayt:

Thanks for the info. From the way you describe your taste in games, it does sound like you'd enjoy a PSP more. I'm guessing you'd play with it plugged in most of the time, too, so the the battery life wouldn't be an issue.

Different strokes for different folks.

blakfayt:

Yeah, 'cause the PSP can't be at fault like your DS. My PSP randomly decided it no longer works with headsets anymore. Just one day without me doing any damage to it at all, it says: "nope, tired of doing this" and now all the sounds distorted as fack.

My friend's PSP can't play games anymore.

I've owned my PSP 3000 for awhile, and I have found only few games on it that are interesting or playable.

And I mean few, there's rarely ever a PSP game I'd be willing to play.

Right now, I'm playing games on my used DS Fat model.

My PSP use to be just a portable music player, I thought it'd be great for gaming, but I never found anything appealing.

'Cept for a few games, like God of War Chains of Olympus

ZippyDSMlee:

I hope digital content never replaces cartridges or discs. If it does, I'll stop buying new consoles.

Therumancer:

One issue I have with games on both platforms is that a lot of them use save checkpoints of some kind. I believe that it's imperitive that any portable game be something you can save easily and "snap off" at any given time no matter how deep the game.

I didn't know the PSP had that problem. If I turn my PSP off in the middle of a game, then turn it back on later, as long as the disc wasn't removed, it'll start exactly where I turned it off.

blakfayt:

wat

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_DS

Chrono Trigger DS
Custom Robo Arena
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Knights in the Nightmare
Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story
Metroid Prime Pinball
Sands of Destruction
The World Ends With You
Hotel Dusk Room 215
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Miles Edgeworth: Ace Investigations
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Puzzle Quest
Puzzle Quest 2
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Disgaea DS
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Infinite Space
Ninjatown
Shin Megami Tensei: Devils Survivor
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Lunar Knights
Metroid Prime Hunters
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Resident Evil Deadly Silence
Meteos
Mr Driller: Drill Spirits
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and Pandoras Box
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Tetris DS
Rhythm Heaven
WarioWare Touched!
WarioWare D.I.Y.
Elite Beat Agents
Contra 4
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Nanostray 2
Space Invaders Extreme
Space Invaders Extreme 2
Rune Factory 1
Rune Factory 2
Rune Factory 3
Trauma Center: Under The Knife
Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2
Bleach: Dark Souls
Mario Kart DS
Giana Sisters DS
Kirby Canvas Curse
N+
New Super Mario Bros
Super Princess Peach
Scribblenauts
Super Scribblenauts
Super Mario 64 DS
Sonic Colors
Yoshi's Island DS

Nintendo DS has no good games. On the hardware issues, I've had mine for 2 - 3 years now, without any problems at all. It's most likely you not being able to handle it right.

Spyende Fluga:

blakfayt:

The World Ends With You
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Disgaea DS
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Rune Factory 3

Nintendo DS has no good games.

There I shortened that list to the game I actually like. Now, there is nothing there for me, I've beaten them all, thank you, good day.

Asuka Soryu:

blakfayt:

Yeah, 'cause the PSP can't be at fault like your DS. My PSP randomly decided it no longer works with headsets anymore. Just one day without me doing any damage to it at all, it says: "nope, tired of doing this" and now all the sounds distorted as fack.

My friend's PSP can't play games anymore.

I've owned my PSP 3000 for awhile, and I have found only few games on it that are interesting or playable.

And I mean few, there's rarely ever a PSP game I'd be willing to play.

Right now, I'm playing games on my used DS Fat model.

My PSP use to be just a portable music player, I thought it'd be great for gaming, but I never found anything appealing.

'Cept for a few games, like God of War Chains of Olympus

Well yeah, shit happens, but does it happen because you use it a lot? The DS has many problems that a lot of places like gamestop know come from simple use (DS lites anyway), such as the shoulder buttons eventually stop working due to excessive use, the top screen starts to wiggle then the whole thing breaks because you open it too many times, and the card reader can and has failed to the point that it doesn't recognize DS games at all. Yes it has problems, I'm not saying the PSP which I've never played ever is bug free, but I've dealt with the short list of games I enjoyed on it (listed above) and now wish to move on to more games for the PSP I know I'll like titles such as

Star Ocean 1&2 remakes
Disgaea 1&2 Ports
Mana Khemia student alliance (port of PS2 Mana Khemia)
Tekken
Riviera the promised land (remake of GBA game)
Yggdra union (remake of GBA game)
Dissidia final fantasy

and a few more I don't feel like looking up but have seen in my local store for less than the hundreds of DS games I hate selling for $30 or better. (in short, PSP games are cheaper, better and the PSP plays music and movies AKA is a multimedia player, just like I want it to be.)

Asuka Soryu:

ZippyDSMlee:

I hope digital content never replaces cartridges or discs. If it does, I'll stop buying new consoles.

Ya but what is digital content, whats on the disc or cart is digital content, the trick is allowing people to use normal industry standards as the disc, use a secured flash drive, with maybe a upgradeable firmware part thats only accessable by the portable unit or device, sure it will be hacked but anythign they make will be hacked, doing what the 360/ps3 dose in forcing new games to use the newest updates will mitigate that but they will have to want to use it but I dunno they are desperate not to use it.

All told, I easily logged over 600 hours on my DS.
The PSP...well. Less so.

Primarily because it is the only console that has ever physically harmed me ("claw-camera" in Monster Hunter).

I respect that it's their first portable/handheld.

But seriously Sony.
You didn't listen to dick when people complained about the ergonomics; rather, you tried to shove the PSN store down our throats with the PSP-GO.

Give your customers just a bit more freedom with your hardware, fix the controls and you will turn profits; profits that will hopefully attract more good 3rd party support (i.e, not shovelware companies).

LCD screen of my PSP broke, no idea how when the thing was kept in its case on a desk and was never knocked over. The only conclusion is a bumpy ride home from cottage country induced the shatter. In any case trying to replace the screen proved impossible as the very tiny screws on the back became stripped. Really sucked since I wanted to play Star Ocean: First Departure.

So if I can say anything about the PSP it would be to make the thing more durable or at the very least not make me have to buy a specialty set of screw drivers just to attempt and replace the flimsy hardware.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here