Duke Nukem Forever Took So Long Because "Sh*t Happens"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Duke Nukem Forever Took So Long Because "Sh*t Happens"

Duke Nukem designer and financier George Broussard has explained that Duke Nukem Forever's delays were due to a series of unlucky situations and his unwillingness to kill it off.

Duke Nukem Forever's repeated series of delays over the past decade had made it into an industry joke, so Gearbox's reveal of the game at PAX was nothing short of a miracle. Despite the fact that Forever will now see daylight, it's been estimated that it took tens of millions out of designer George Broussard's own pockets, and he recently gave a short explanation of what that money was spent on.

In contrast to reports that said Duke Nukem Forever remained in the ether as a "quest for perfection," Broussard says it was due to development issues and bad luck. The game only stayed alive thanks to what Broussard paints as his own love for the project.

"I wish there was an easy or dramatic answer for what took so long but there just isn't," he told Maximum PC. "It was just never ready. We had lots of development issues along the way. It wasn't a quest for perfection as some silly article in Wired implied last year."

For example, Broussard revealed that "licensing engines and trying to change them too much" was what slowed Forever's progress down the most. He adds: "Sh*t happens and after delays the options are to continue or kill the game. I never wanted to kill the game."

In 2007, Duke Nukem Forever got back on track according to Broussard, with most of the game "as it exists today" being created between then and now. However, it's only through what Broussard calls "the result of several back to back miracles" that Forever is actually hitting stores someday. "Imagine flipping a coin 5 times and getting heads each time," he said.

Broussard also explained his belief that a character like Duke Nukem can still be relevant in today's first-person shooter market. Well, duh. How could a character that kicks so much ass ever go out of style?

Source: Maximum PC, via VG247

Well, at least he's honest... =P

Well yeah I can see that.

Anyway I'm just happy it's coming out :D

How many gamers actually remember the *original* Duke Nukem Forever announcement back in '97?

i still wont believe it till its on the shelves. Even then may still be skeptical.

I'm having a Duke Nukem holiday when it comes out. Strippers, aliens, you name it.

Dukenstein:
I'm having a Duke Nukem holiday when it comes out. Strippers, aliens, you name it.

i see your profile pic and your profile name and i believe you.

That isn't unexplainable "shit happens" that we are supposed to go "Oh well I guess we should just be happy it's coming out instead of wondering what went wrong all those years." It's quite clear why it failed and he says so right in the interview: They spend too much time dicking around with constantly switching engines and not enough time just finishing the damned game. It could have been out back in the 1990's if they had done more of the latter and less of the former.

joystickjunki3:
How many gamers actually remember the *original* Duke Nukem Forever announcement back in '97?

I do actually... it was in one of my gaming magazines I believe...

And so... it was his quest for perfection, he just doesn't want to admit that, except he did sort of.
If he found an engine that he liked, he should of stuck with it. Instead he kept switching engines, and kept trying to get them to work, only to switch out again. Its hard to make any headway with getting a game engine to work, when just as it starts to, you see an engine wearing sunglasses and go "I want!" and trade it in for that.

Dukenstein:

Yea this may be the one game that I have to have a release party for.

Millions of dollars out of your own pocket spend for this game. Not worth it if you ask me. But sure, Duke is back.

Old game franchises getting a new least on life can work. I mean look at Fallout.

well as Yahtzee made a point, it seems like a Duke Nukem character came back into style

I mean, technically the Duke himself is a parody of the old ways so of course it'd still work lol

delayed because shit happens

best reason ever

Jazoni89:
Old game franchises getting a new least on life can work. I mean look at Fallout.

This isn't an old game franchise, it's an undead game franchise.

mjc0961:
That isn't unexplainable "shit happens" that we are supposed to go "Oh well I guess we should just be happy it's coming out instead of wondering what went wrong all those years." It's quite clear why it failed and he says so right in the interview: They spend too much time dicking around with constantly switching engines and not enough time just finishing the damned game. It could have been out back in the 1990's if they had done more of the latter and less of the former.

I think someone already pointed out Blizzard and Valve time, so what you call "dicking around" are an integral process of making a game that isn't going to be a run of the mill game destined for the bargain bin in 6 months. I like to think of Valve and blizzard, as the master procrastinators while 3DRealms is the kid who does the same thing, but gets sick the day before the test.

If 3dR had crapped out a bunch of lesser games, like valve does, no one would begrudge them for taking 14 years.

Imagine if Valve had spent their entire time since half life 1 making team fortress 2, thats 3d realms.

I haven't played any Duke Nukem. This game seems irrelevant, like if they came out with an HD remake of the first Crash Bandicoot.

joystickjunki3:

I remember my brother showing me an announcement in a magazine. Christ reading that makes me realise I'm actually old enough to legally buy it. Creepy.

Last time I read something about the reasons why it was delayed was because they redid the same level over and over till they where fine with it.

But at least it's coming.

moosek:
I haven't played any Duke Nukem. This game seems irrelevant, like if they came out with an HD remake of the first Crash Bandicoot.

You could at least try one out before passing judgement.

Preferably Duke Nukem 3D.

Gaming needs Duke, I'm tired of all these boring real war based shooters.

Shit does happen. This wasn't shit. This was incompetence at the helm.

My shit does not take 12 years.

I'm pretty sure the level of nonsense here is high. They changed engines 3 times from what I remember, that's called psychotic.

joystickjunki3:

Right here! I was about six at the time and I was stoked! Yes I did infact play Duke3D when I was that age too. LOOK HOW VIOLENT AND DEPRAVED I TURNED OUT RAWR!

Ahem.

Tom Goldman:
Broussard also explained his belief that a character like Duke Nukem can still be relevant in today's first-person shooter market. Well, duh. How could a character that kicks so much ass ever go out of style?

Kids of today don't appreciate his badassery. All they care about it is gritty boring and brown "realism." We need Duke to save us!

KaosuHamoni:

That's what I'm thinking. He can't pull a Polyphony and say that he just wanted it (Gran Turismo 5) to be perfect, at least he has the stones and the dignity to say that it was problems that set it back so long.

thedeathscythe:

KaosuHamoni:

That's what I'm thinking. He can't pull a Polyphony and say that he just wanted it (Gran Turismo 5) to be perfect, at least he has the stones and the dignity to say that it was problems that set it back so long.

Like hell.

Broussard just doesn't want to admit his own incompetance. It doesn't take a miracle to put out a game like Duke Nukem. It takes the exact same amount of effort as it would to put out any other generic first person shooter these days, just in this case you add Duke Nukem humour. It's no miracle that Gearbox was able to release the game so soon after aquiring it, that's just insulting.

Dukenstein:

Why not make it stripper aliens, hit two birds with one stone.

GeorgeB3DR is a pretty cool guy. I wish I could have met him at PAX. DNF lacked a little polish and seemed a bit behind the times there, but I think GBX should be easily able to fix it up so it's a pretty awesome game.

I read the headline and thought "What? Is DNF being made by Blizzard?!"

"Come get some"!

Or maybe it's because you were a complete asshole and unprofessional game designer

I kept careful attention on DNF's progress from its initial announcement. As soon as a new engine came out they threw everything away and started over from scratch. First it was the new Quake engine, then Epic put out a new Unreal engine and 3DR went with that, then they went with another party's engine, then it was back to Quake, and then the last word I heard (shhh) was 3DR went with Unreal's newest engine.
This isn't bad luck, this is bad judgement.
Makes me seriously hope that Broussard is nowhere near this project as it is now. And that he needs to grow a pair of lobes before he ever touches being in charge of a game's development again.
Of course this whole fiasco began about the same time as John Romero had his egotrip in developing Daikatana. I sense symmetry at work here.

By the way, it's worth noting that getting heads 5 times in a row is 1/(2^5) or 1 in 32. I suppose that makes us pretty damn lucky.

Enigmers:
By the way, it's worth noting that getting heads 5 times in a row is 1/(2^5) or 1 in 32. I suppose that makes us pretty damn lucky.

It really does depend on how many times you attempt it

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or