Rumor: Spike's Hidden Zombie Teaser is For Resident Evil

Rumor: Spike's Hidden Zombie Teaser is For Resident Evil

Could a new Resident Evil title be coming to the Spike TV Video Game Awards?

When Spike TV recently showed a teaser for its upcoming reveal of a new BioWare game, a hidden zombie-related image was discovered within it. The image was presumed to refer to a new Left 4 Dead title or something completely original, but a similarity to Resident Evil has brought speculation over to Capcom's long-running zombie franchise instead.

Gamerzines noticed that the graphic used in Spike's zombie teaser image is incredibly similar to the graphic used on an official piece of Resident Evil merchandise. A Resident Evil T-shirt's zombies, seen below, are exactly the same as the ones used in the teaser, though one is facing the opposite direction.

So does this mean that the Spike TV Video Game Awards coming up on December 11 are going to reveal something Resident Evil related, or is this just re-purposed zombie imagery? Only Capcom and Spike TV know for sure, but there are two possible projects that could be unveiled.

In September, Capcom said that news on Resident Evil 6 was coming soon. Rumors were also flying earlier this month about a Slant Six-developed Resident Evil multiplayer title. These two possibilities make it more likely that the image is a Resident Evil hint, but we won't find out until the Video Game Awards air in two weeks.

Source: Gamerzines

Tracing saves the artistic world again!

Oh, okay, yeah, there's a next Resident Evil, that's pretty cool. Not that I've played any of them before.

I'd much rather it would be a new L4D or even a new L4D comic... but, hell, that's good, too.

No, I don't think so. The ad seems too cheesy, and doesn't jive with the tone set in RE 4 and 5. Unless they are planning a reboot, I think they just re-used the same shape for something else.

It looks like a smoker, on the far right, to me. Thats either a weird arm, or a tongue.

My vote is for L4D, but thats just me

wtf? no.

there are no more zombies after Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles and that was a spin-off.

Resident Evil Zero is the last game in the main series to feature zombies. Anyways the merchant looks doggy.

CpnChaos:
No, I don't think so. The ad seems too cheesy, and doesn't jive with the tone set in RE 4 and 5. Unless they are planning a reboot, I think they just re-used the same shape for something else.

I wouldn't say cheesy, but I agree that the tone is all wrong.

Either way, I know I won't be watching the VGAs to find out!

That similarity is too glaring to ignore. Still, that teaser image doesn't really scream "Resident Evil 6".

A Resident Evil spinoff, perhaps? They could be going out on a limb and doing something like the modern iterations of the Fallout series. I'm not really sure if a Resident Evil RPG would be awesome or pathetic.

Timbydude:
That similarity is too glaring to ignore. Still, that teaser image doesn't really scream "Resident Evil 6".

A Resident Evil spinoff, perhaps?

My thoughts were along the same lines. RE advertising tends to lean towards a "realistic" end of the spectrum (Though saying that makes me laugh because RE lost all semblence of realism long ago. I still love them though :P )

If it were a spin-off, and the multiplayer aspects were true, my first thought was as an MMO, which I can't imagine working.

Maybe... would Capcom start doing episodic gaming (Like the Half-Life series), or maybe its a downloadable game? (PSN/XBLA)

I just want a stand alone multiplayer mercs with about 30 characters and 20 or so stages, preferably much larger than the ones in re5. 1 - 4 players. Also an option to turn off the time limit would be awesome...like a endless wave of zombies that you need to fight of until you die ala burn zombie burn style. It would be a wet dream come true.

That shirt is SO not official Capcom-assets-only merchandise; look at the rest of the things in the store. I put together a custom Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition shirt for a boardgaming friend of mine, doesn't make me an official source of Fantasy Flight Gaming merchandise.

(Looks down at custom "resurrectionist" shirt.) And I'd also like to state I'm not representative of people who dig up fresh bodies and sell them to medical schools. Thank you.

Josdeb:

If it were a spin-off, and the multiplayer aspects were true, my first thought was as an MMO, which I can't imagine working.

I don't know the multiplayer thing might work. Resident evil's online multiplayer games weren't too bad. Just as long as you didn't get a stupid or asshole team. If they did try to make a similar game they should keep the system where if you die you'll become a zombie. Except make it so that if you actually get someone in your team you'll mutate into something worse. Now that would be fun.

Well, I could see a Zombie MMORPG working. I tried Fallen Earth briefly, and if they found a way to make the undead bestiary big enough it could be interesting.

That said I'm going to laugh if their big Annoucement is going to be that the new Resident Evil will feature actual Zombies again. :P

As far as them going Multi-Player that is kind of groan worthy to me. It seems like them trying to cash in on the success of "Left 4 Dead", which wouldn't be a horrible thing if they hadn't already tried Multiplayer Resident Evil games, and they were somewhat lacking (at least to me).

The point of Resident Evil to me was to that it combined adventure game aspects and things like inventory management with the action aspects. Even in the shoot-fests of the last couple of games these elements remained to some extent, and truthfully that doesn't seem to translate very well to multi-player.

Ultimatly it seems to me that their "big annoucement" is going to probably be a L4D clone, with Resident Evil franchise symbols like the Umbrella Corperation Logo thrown up here and there to set it in their universe.

We shall see what happens though.

Damn, a zombie related teaser and Resident Evil NEVER occured to me.. I think im retarded lol

Wouldnt mind a new RE, though i think it might just be about Case West for Dead rising 2.
If its more L4D i couldnt give a shit at this point

It seems as if this may be a teaser for resident evil portable... FINALLY! Lets just hope that it is because all outbreak fans have been dying for a file three.

CpnChaos:

They already planned for a reboot this that horrifyingly bad resident evil 5 came out that made me want to strange my own mother with fibre wire but on a serious note resident evil originally was about horror. So this could bring it back.. I hope.

No, please... No more zombie games! I'm so sick of zombies.

accidental double post

All I can say is Heh, just heh

Please for the love of god no. We do not need another RE to muddle everything up. We just resolved everything dammit!

For the love of all that's holy, please kill this franchise already. It's been nothing but a freight train of shit disguised in flimsy glittery fabrics and googly eyes.

Resident Evil hidden in a BioWare traier...hmmmmm
Maybe its a joint effort between BioWare and Capcom...an RPG Resident Evil perhaps. Think, Mass Effect with zombies
.....Maybe its a zombie DLC for Mass Effect

I dunno
Guess I'll just have to wait and see

If it is Resident Evil it better be fucking zombies and not those parasites from 4 and 5

Somehow I get the feeling they're going to enter this horrible recursive reality of RE games based on the RE movies. That's a whole new level of creative inbreeding I don't even want to think about. oO

The red octagon makes me think of the umbrella corp. logo so I'd expect this to be RE related.
If it was L4D the should be CEDA stuff on it.

I hope Resident Evil does go back to zombies. I'm getting tired of fast, super, 28 days later things and regular people "infected" by a worm of random virus.
I miss the RE games of past, so I'm hoping for a reboot of sorts. *crossed fingers*

Haven't bought RE5 and unless they will show some really controversial gore in RE6 won't bother with it as well. In a zombie game I want blood, guts and brains.

fare777:

CpnChaos:

They already planned for a reboot this that horrifyingly bad resident evil 5 came out that made me want to strange my own mother with fibre wire but on a serious note resident evil originally was about horror. So this could bring it back.. I hope.

resident evil 5 had no scary horror stuff, becuase it had co op, and shits not scary unless your on your own :P

Lord_Gremlin:
I want brains.

OH SHIT!!! ZOMBIE RUN!!!

OT i really hope if it is RE then they go back to zombies (like loads of slow shuffling zombies)

This could be the PSP Resident Evil that was mentioned earlier this year :D

Incidentally if anyone wants to discus PSP or the hope that this Resi Evil will be on PSP I Have a group here :D

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Playstation-Portable-Users

Hmm? theres nothing racist in this image, it cant be Resident Evil.

World war z style, post zombie takeover, realistic resi? That would be cool. Especially if we can avoid the moronic AI partners this time. Oh, and try to make things, y'know, actually scary.

But somehow, I have a feeling it isn't going to be that. Just because, when a rumour in videogames pops up, it's hardly ever the most awesome possibility that comes true, more like the most rubbish and easily marketable.

As for the possibility of something L4D related...please not L4D3. Personally, I don't take that much offense unless it doesn't inmprove enough to warrant it, but at this point, L4D3 would bury the series in endless fan rage. If it's more dlc though, I very much approve, but due to the nature of the teaser and the fact Bioware is involved, I don't think anything L4d related is likely.

Nocturnal Gentleman:

Josdeb:

I don't know the multiplayer thing might work. Resident evil's online multiplayer games weren't too bad. Just as long as you didn't get a stupid or asshole team. If they did try to make a similar game they should keep the system where if you die you'll become a zombie. Except make it so that if you actually get someone in your team you'll mutate into something worse. Now that would be fun.

Of course, those were mini-games, not a full game we are expected to pay full price for.

I mean, it could work, but it'd need to be done well. WOuld they go for, "We're telling a story that you can slowly progress through by continuing to play" or will it be "fun zombie-themed team matches that last 5-30 minutes"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here