Game of Thrones Teaser Proves Winter Is Coming

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game of Thrones Teaser Proves Winter Is Coming

HBO's adaptation of the fantasy series by George R. R. Martin just keeps looking more and more authentic.

Reading George R. R. Martin's novel A Game of Thrones in 1996 made me excited for the fantasy genre again. Its gritty setting of Westeros was more focused on swords than sorcery, and reading the complicated plots unfold was a genuine joy. No character is sacred or above being killed off, and the constant chance of mortality keeps the tension hot for more than 3,000 pages over the next three volumes. The last novel, A Feast for Crows was a bit lackluster compared to the first three, but, while I wait anxiously for Martin to finish the fifth book, I have HBO's adaptation to look forward to, which is scheduled to premiere sometime in Spring 2011. The third teaser trailer played on the premium channel last night before Boardwalk Empire, and it shows off dialogue and scenes that we've never seen before.

As I've said before, Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is a great casting choice, and we see him teaching his son Bran why he had to execute a deserter. It's an iconic opening scene in the book, showing that this story isn't about Hobbits and magic rings but the real problems humans have with governing themselves. If this teaser is any indication, the TV series will closely mirror those themes.

I also love the line from Cersei Lannister, "You were trained to follow," and Ned's reply, "I was trained to kill." Knowing the tension between those two characters, and how it plays out in the first book, that scene convinced me that the TV series will definitely do the books justice.

In addition, HBO has also released a shorter teaser which has comments on the making of the TV show from the creators and the actors. Most of them only contribute a phrase or two, but it's enough to drive the point home that everyone working on this show knows just how awesome the story is and they are all committed to making it rock.

Source: GRR Martin's blog

What happens when this show overtakes the books? A Dance With Dragons aint ever coming, we all know that by now. Seems like that might be a problem.

Not to be super nit-picky, but he's teaching his son Bran about why he has to execute the deserte. Not Robb.

This looks about a zillion times better than the terrible Sword of Truth TV show they made.
Very excited!!

Yay! *girlish squeals* I'm very excited for this series

BlueHighwind:
What happens when this show overtakes the books? A Dance With Dragons aint ever coming, we all know that by now. Seems like that might be a problem.

Well, rumors say that he has thousands of pages written for his next books, so I am guessing that if the rest are to come at all, they are to come in regular intervals, after he's decided where to go with the plot. I am not getting my hopes up, but amazon does have a publication date (September 2011) for A Dance With Dragons.

PS: You're among those who believe that Episode 3 isn't coming either, right?

Too bad people don't read more these days. There are no words to describe how awesome the books are. We'll find out soon enough if the series will do them justice.

What the hell is a "hrone"?

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. That makes me so incredibly happy. :D

Please please please pleeeease tell me this will air in the UK. We don't get HBO and this is my favourite series of novels ever ;-;

I just got goosebumps when I heard Sean Bean say "Winter is Coming"...

omg nom nom nom nom can't wait :D

FUCK. YES.

Kyp:
Not to be super nit-picky, but he's teaching his son Bran about why he has to execute the deserte. Not Robb.

Good call. Fixed in the news post.

BlueHighwind:

The idea is for a season to follow the arc of each book. So we have at least 4 seasons worth of material already, and even though I'm a skeptic like you, I'm fairly confident that Martin will have at least another book out by they finish shooting the fourth season.

That is, if the first season does well and HBO picks up another one. I think it's going to be great, but the American audience is fickle when it comes to fantasy and sci-fi on TV. Great shows like Firefly fall by the wayside while crap like Xena and Hercules seemed to go on forever.

This looks excellent, and might just get me to get the books. It's not that I was never interested in getting them, just that I have years and years worth of books on my 'to get' list. This should move the series well up on the priority ladder.

Now if only they couldn't done this kind of treatment to the Sword of Truth series... /sigh /pout.

I wonder how they'll handle the whole Daenerys thing. I'll assume they don't want anyone to think they think pedophilia is okay.

Dectilon:
I wonder how they'll handle the whole Daenerys thing. I'll assume they don't want anyone to think they think pedophilia is okay.

Just age her up a couple years.

Greg Tito:

BlueHighwind:

The idea is for a season to follow the arc of each book. So we have at least 4 seasons worth of material already, and even though I'm a skeptic like you, I'm fairly confident that Martin will have at least another book out by they finish shooting the fourth season.

That is, if the first season does well and HBO picks up another one. I think it's going to be great, but the American audience is fickle when it comes to fantasy and sci-fi on TV. Great shows like Firefly fall by the wayside while crap like Xena and Hercules seemed to go on forever.

I believe one of the main problems for Firefly was poor advertisement and getting it's time slot frequently shuffled around. I'm not sure but I suspect that A Game of Thrones must have a fairly large budget so it seems likely that it will also have a substantial advertisisng campaign. Plus Sean Bean is a fairly big name so that's bound to draw a lot of viewers.

Dectilon:

I remember hearing that all the underage characters with plot relevant sex scenes have had there ages bumped up to 17. That'll probably cause a few minor plot holes but I'd rather see that than daft accusations.

I've never read the series, by my dad has and he's excited. I might watch it too.

Brilliant books, very glad that GRRM held off on the numberous offers that came his way from other networks to adapt his series to television. HBO honestly is the only network that could do it justice, and it looks like they're getting it right.

Two words: Fucking sweet.

I'll remain skeptical until I see the series itself, but this looks VERY promising.

I feel warm and tingly inside.

Doc Theta Sigma:
Please please please pleeeease tell me this will air in the UK. We don't get HBO and this is my favourite series of novels ever ;-;

The BBC are going to be showing it as well, so don't worry! :)

I can't remember, was who did Sean Bean play in the Lord of the Rings movies? Faramir or Boromir? Or is it neither and it's the wrong guy?

BrunDeign:
I can't remember, was who did Sean Bean play in the Lord of the Rings movies? Faramir or Boromir? Or is it neither and it's the wrong guy?

Boromir.

OT: I'm so frakking excited for this show, it's not even funny. I hadn't read the books in about 6 years (at least not the earlier ones), so I started re-reading them recently to freshen my memory for the show. Damn if I didn't forget just how awesome they are.

This is the series that will probably replace Rome for my favorite of all time. Although I never finished the first book, I fell in love with it immediately because of the story telling and intricacies it had.

I think its time to finish the first book at least before the show hits the air.

Im only at A Storm of Swords(3 book) myself but it's real nice to see this coming out.
Tyrion Lannister looks cool but im afraid of who they will get to play Arya Stark. she is 10 after all, and kids at that age aren't the best of actors .
I also haven't seen the direwolves yet......

carpenter20m:

BlueHighwind:

Well, rumors say that he has thousands of pages written for his next books, so I am guessing that if the rest are to come at all, they are to come in regular intervals, after he's decided where to go with the plot. I am not getting my hopes up, but amazon does have a publication date (September 2011) for A Dance With Dragons.

PS: You're among those who believe that Episode 3 isn't coming either, right?

Yeah and they also had a Release date for Dance With Dragons in 2009 too. That fat bastard better sit his arse down and finish that damned book before he kicks the bucket like so many of his characters. I don't think we are ever going to see an end to the series, unless its "cobbled together" by his children in a decades time.

I always thought of Robert Baratheon as a medieval Arnold Schwarzenegger. when he was a over-muscular cow man people loved him but when he became a politician he got fat and unsympathetic.

There have been a few fantastic, authentic European series set in medieval and renaissance periods over the years. I'm very curious to eventually see a committed American production produced by a great cable channel.

The books are very well written. Considering the complexity of the plots, the number of characters and the sometimes dry subject matter, they deftly hold the reader's interest. A testament to great characters and world-building that Martin is capable of evoking very quickly in broad strokes. This, for me, makes this a great fit for television regardless of what they cut out to fit the seasons.

so i c boromir lives!

Is that Syrio Forel on 0:27 ?

CoffeeOfDoom:

Doc Theta Sigma:

Fuck yes. I'll be recording that and burning it to DVD. Also slightly off topic... Don't suppose your username is a Questionable Content reference? :P

Doc Theta Sigma:

CoffeeOfDoom:

Doc Theta Sigma:

Fuck yes. I'll be recording that and burning it to DVD. Also slightly off topic... Don't suppose your username is a Questionable Content reference? :P

It is! :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or