Retailer Goes Bananas, Exchanges Videogames for Fruit

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Retailer Goes Bananas, Exchanges Videogames for Fruit

Fruit has become a new form of currency when it comes to Donkey Kong Country Returns.

If you live in the UK, when daylight comes on December 3 and you just want to go home it would be smart to stop off at videogame retailer GAME on the way. Three stores are offering the Nintendo Wii's Donkey Kong Country Returns for a price that is absolutely bananas.

In fact, the price is precisely one bunch of bananas. GAME is offering copies of Donkey Kong Country Returns in exchange for a small pile of fruit to celebrate the game's release. There is no word on what GAME plans on doing with the fruit, but employees will likely get plenty of potassium that day.

In a smart business move, the exchange will only be available to the first 20 people that lineup on December 3 at select stores. These include London's Games Store on Oxford Street, Dudley's GAME at the Merry Hill Centre, and Hull's Gamestation. Each store opens at 9am.

Depending on demand, this is quite the deal for a game that is said to be extremely good. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a revival of the praised side-scrolling Donkey Kong games that came out of Rare in the mid-1990s for the Super Nintendo (and ported to Game Boy Advance). If I had some bananas, and I think I know where to get some, I would feel no shame in lining up to exchange them for a quality Nintendo game. Hopefully nobody will be a jerk and immediately trade the game in for cash.

Source: ONM

If they're doing bananas for Donkey Kong, can i get the next Mario Game in mushrooms?

The closest one to me is Merry Hill and I hate it there... also not too bothered about this game so I'm definitely passing.

Still a very odd marketing ploy O.o Something quite zany...

I guess the developers will be getting a healthy intake of fruit then.

Sucks neat and sick. People should take advantage of this right now!

Absolutely absurd

Those fruitcakes. To bad I live in the US. Oh well, I have a doctors appointment that day anyway (not enough apples). This IS absolutely banana's anyway. The bell just rang to send me to fourth block. I gotta split.

I didn't know they even sold fruit in Hull.

They had an action like this at one of our local gamestores too, but the game was Splatterhouse and the first 20 people could get it by donating 1 gallon of blood

Jesus! How much does a bunch of bananas cost in the UK?

Badabukavich:
If they're doing bananas for Donkey Kong, can i get the next Mario Game in mushrooms?

Only if they're Psychedelic.

I think the bananas are actually worth more than the rehash of a SNES game. Then again I hate Retro Studios after Metroid Prime and want them to fail horribly.

Will spent shell casings get me a new shooter anytime?

TriggerHappyAngel:
They had an action like this at one of our local gamestores too, but the game was Splatterhouse and the first 20 people could get it by donating 1 gallon of blood

Did anyone go for this?

In b4 they're just hungry. Also, will they take spoiled bananas? Because I have more of those then I know what to do with.

im sure their heart is in the right place, but i predict hundreds of deaths among those who camps out if UK is as bad as Denmark, i mean last night we had -20 degrees at night.

Thats awesome. I think this is a great marketing strategy. Not Financially but people will talk about it for awhile.

What would they do for a trade-in for Pokemon?!

O_o

Habakkuk:

TriggerHappyAngel:

Did anyone go for this?

they sure did, but the action stopped once people started to donate more gallons for more copies of the game :')

TriggerHappyAngel:

are you sure it was 1 gallon? you can roughly loose ½ a gallon of blood before you die.

Badabukavich:

Screw that, I'm gouging out their eyes for Duke Nukem Forever!

Onyx Oblivion:

O_o

Balls.

Damn living in Devon

Outlaw Torn:
I didn't know they even sold fruit in Hull.

WINNER!

Donate the bananas to a food pantry and they're instantly awesome.

Onyx Oblivion:

O_o

Im gonna take a guess and say Candy.
Lots of Candy.

OT:Awesome, this is a fun little idea.
But on a side note, there is a store called Dudley's GAME.
I am jealous.

I wish they would do that here in the US when it comes out but that would be a lot of stores to cover. Also, which game store would Nintendo use for the promotion? Either way, I want a game for bananas...

Onyx Oblivion:

O_o

BALLS!

Yeeeahh..

Ontopic: This is kinda awesome, but think of the guy who's just bought a bunch of bananas and is guy no. 21 in the queue.
That must suck, but at least he's got some healthy food :)

You know what would be amusing, if incredibly unfunny for the people in line? If they revealed that they meant the agricultural "bunch" and not the normal "bunch". What people think of as a bunch is actually a "hand". A proper bunch is actually about 100 pounds of bananas.

Certainly better then their other idea of giving away free giant gorillas to the first in the queue. They tried that before. So much blood...

I'd bite.
(If I lived in the UK, that is.)

What's next

bags of tea for the next halo gamne?

and the 21 person in line atleast has a snack...

Crazy, I wish I could get a deal like that. I'm just not that lucky.

Lucifer dern:
and the 21 person in line atleast has a snack...

I wish I had a pick-me-up like that when the Wii first came out way back when, during a Christmas time. I waited in line outside a Best Buy in below freezing weather. There were 20 people in front of me. I wasn't worried because I couldn't fathom how a store so big could only have a small amount. But it ended up that they only had 19 of them. I then went over to the mall nearby which was about to open. Everybody crowded around the entrance and when it opened, it was a mad dash to the game store that was in there. I was 10th in line and they ended up only have 9 of them.

I ended up not being able to get one until 4 months later in early April.

I wonder what their cash flow is like with bananas. Plus I wonder how the shareholders will react

BioTox:
I wish they would do that here in the US when it comes out but that would be a lot of stores to cover. Also, which game store would Nintendo use for the promotion? Either way, I want a game for bananas...

Edit: Sorry, having re-read what you said, what's written below doesn't quite make sense. Oh well.

Um, the article talks about GAME, as in, the retail chain called "GAME", which is the largest chain in the UK.

It's Pretty much our equivalent of GameStop, if that gives you any idea of how many stores this promotion would cover. - Although the article points out it's only some of them, not every one in the country.

If it were every single store, this quote would give you some indication of the scale of the giveaway.

GAME has now announced that it will reduce the number of stores from 677 to 550 over by the end of 2013

That means in the unlikely even they were doing this, they'd be giving away 13,540 copies of the game.
Seems a little extreme to me.

It's probably nowhere near that many stores taking part in the promotion.

A good game for a good price; has the world gone bonkers? :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here