Michael Jackson Counters Piracy With Vuvuzela

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Michael Jackson Counters Piracy With Vuvuzela

Ubisoft has reached into the depths of evil to protect Michael Jackson: The Experience from portable piracy.

If you watched the World Cup (the world's soccer tournament, just to be clear), you probably already know the horror of the vuvuzela. Ubisoft surely does, and evidently uses the noise emitted from the incredibly annoying object to deter people from pirating Michael Jackson: The Experience on the Nintendo DS.

A vuvuzela is a long plastic horn that emits a buzz which will follow you to your nightmares after hearing it. The "instrument" took over the World Cup in 2010, much to the chagrin of everyone not blowing into one.

According to a video released on YouTube, anybody not playing a legitimate copy of the DS version of The Experience will hear Michael Jackson's music with no lyrics, and a vuvuzela playing over the beat instead. Believe it or not, a vuvuzela can even destroy a classic like Jackson's "Billie Jean."

Michael Jackson: The Experience on the DS is said to be similar to Elite Beat Agents, one of the greatest music games ever. The pirated version also doesn't bring any of the game's prompts up, making it completely unplayable just to add insult to aural injury.

The fact that a vuvuzela is even programmed into The Experience's code is enough for me to know that I'll never go near it. Game piracy is bad, but not even Cthulhu himself is more frightening than the sound of a vuvuzela. Ubisoft might have gone too far.

Source: Tiny Cartridge

Oh Ubisoft, they have truly found the best method of countering piracy by far.

THIS! IS! EPIC!

Do this for EVERY game! GUn shots as vuvuzela blasts! EVERYTHIGN!

Te only problem is hackers finding the code and simply deleting it.

I gotta say; Win. The power of vuvuzelas cannot be beaten.

Ubisoft, now see, this works better than a DRM, you punish pirates and leave your customers alone.

Reminds me of the Arkum Asylum way of anti piracy where you couldn't glide and batman just didn't have a cape
I like these anti piracy methods, there is room for creativity and make particularly lulz worthy stories

That is a totally amusing way to combat piracy.

See now, THIS is "good DRM"; much as it disgusts me to use the phrase. If Ubisoft keeps it up, I just might reconsider my refusal to touch their brand.

Reminds me of how Nintendo took on piracy with Earthbound, if it was a fack you could still play it but it would be obscenely hard, and if you made it to the final boss the game would freeze before you beat it.

I think there's a trope for this...

Anyway, good show Ubisoft. More DRM like that and less UbiDRM please.

The only way this could me more hilarious was if Michael Jackson spawned a trollface and Rick Rolls occasionally played through the Vuvuzela.

Ubisoft, start doing more stuff like this and I'll start buying your games again.

Note: I'm not pirating any Ubisoft game, I'm just not buying them. Ever. Until they get rid of their always-online DRM

Dragonborne88:

I know some creative ones but this really takes the cake as in THE MOST ANNOYING MEASSURE ever.

I wonder if hackers can circumvent it, I hope not. Gaming is not a right but a luxury.

This is hilarious, I love innovative anti-piracy! But I don't have any problem with vuvuzelas, I have 5.

Straying Bullet:

Dragonborne88:

I know some creative ones but this really takes the cake as in THE MOST ANNOYING MEASSURE ever.

I wonder if hackers can circumvent it, I hope not. Gaming is not a right but a luxury.

Of course it can be circumvented, it's just regular AP except more obvious. This doesn't do anything to hinder used game sales so the typical ubi DRM isn't going anywhere either, unfortunately.

We need more anti-piracy measures like this in the future.

THIS IS CRUEL AN UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT! D:

Who would willingly pirate or buy that game anyway?

Is this game really so important as to warrant such measures?

One of the most clever anti-piracy measures I've seen since Batman Arkham Asylum

ok now heres the new game challenge buy the game and beat it with no prompts from memorization of the actual game if you buy this from a ebayer in china.

qbanknight:
One of the most clever anti-piracy measures I've seen since Batman Arkham Asylum

what happened in that game>?

Gamegodtre:

qbanknight:

what happened in that game>?

Batman couldn't jump at certain points if you had a pirated copy:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

It's practically genius in how much it fucked with pirates

Now, I don't know the mechanics involved here, but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that it is not actually pirates that are being "punished" here, but users of unregistered legitimate copies, in practice forcing paying customers to jump through one of the many hoops that the pirates tend to never have to deal with? The industry just keeps stabbing itself.

qbanknight:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

To be more accurate, the game shipped with crippling bugs, pirates spotted them, they patched them within 2 hours, that patch was cracked in 2 minutes and then they backpedaled and called it DRM and pretended their hotfix didn't exist.

Get a legal copy and install it somewhere with no internet connection(so no day 0 patch), surprise, you are now considered a pirate! Or better yet, get the DD version for a region where the patch hasn't gotten past the publisher if you really want to experience how fucked up the system is.

Being an asshole to your effective, free QA team when your paid QA team failed miserably at their job is not "genius", it's stupid.

Asehujiko:

qbanknight:

To be more accurate, the game shipped with crippling bugs, pirates spotted them, they patched them within 2 hours, that patch was cracked in 2 minutes and then they backpedaled and called it DRM and pretended their hotfix didn't exist.

Get a legal copy and install it somewhere with no internet connection(so no day 0 patch), surprise, you are now considered a pirate! Or better yet, get the DD version for a region where the patch hasn't gotten past the publisher if you really want to experience how fucked up the system is.

Being an asshole to your effective, free QA team when your paid QA team failed miserably at their job is not "genius", it's stupid.

Proof and source please to diprove their statement (other than 'because I said so and it makes sense')

OT,glad to see Ubi doing something right for a change.

This is such a brutal and inhumane anti-piracy tactic and yet I can't help but encourage other game developers to do the same thing.

Dragonborne88:

Yeah, It's just sad that they have to use a drm for the pc version of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

Mackheath:
The only way this could me more hilarious was if Michael Jackson spawned a trollface and Rick Rolls occasionally played through the Vuvuzela.

Oh man, I better see this put into affect in the near future! That developer will have my complete respect from then on. Maybe the new Grand Theft Auto will only play Rick Roll through the radio, Vuvuzelas when on foot, and all characters in the game have the Troll Face.

i give it a week(assuming anyone cares)

This is pretty awesome... This and the Batman: Arkham Asylum anti-piracy are my favorites.

I'd laugh if this game because the most popular pirated game in South Africa, while the retail version bombed.

One man's annoying drone is another man's traditional cultural music (apparently).

Asehujiko:

qbanknight:

How, exactly, would owning an unpatched copy of a game be piracy?

And my copy of AA on the ps3 didn't ship with any crippling bugs, it worked the whole way through.

OT- Moar plz. Best anti piracy measure in history.

How does copyright enforcement work to the artists favor in this case?

Dragonborne88:

*rubs eyes* Am I reading this correctly? Ubisoft...good anti-piracy measures?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or