Valve Opens Team Fortress 2 Public Beta

Valve Opens Team Fortress 2 Public Beta

Valve has announced that after years of waiting, the highly-anticipated online shooter Team Fortress 2 has finally entered beta testing.

Oh, I'm just kidding. We all know that Team Fortress 2 has been out for years. But I'm not kidding about it being in beta, or, more to the point, that a beta version of the game is now operating. Given all the screwing around they do with the game, Valve decided that internal testing wasn't providing enough data and thus threw the doors open to everyone who owns a copy of TF2.

The process is simple if you want to get involved. Open Steam, head to your Library, find "Team Fortress 2 Beta" in the list and install it. You're in! Valve says the beta version of the game will be used to test things like class, item and weapon changes, map changes and variants, "higher level, game-wide experiments" and other new hotness, without the risk of breaking the game for people who just want to play.

The first beta version will include three variants of Natascha with adjustments to damage, health, spin time and slowdown effect, changes to the cp_granary and cp_5gorge maps, and a balance change that eliminates the slowdown effect on players who are being healed by a medic. Players who sign into the beta will automatically be given all "achievement-based unlockables" and any new items added for testing, but random drops and the store are both disabled.

Valve is running its own set of official Beta servers but says "it'd be great" if other admins want to help out with servers of their own. Instructions on setting up a beta server and other information about the new TF2 public beta can be found on the Steam forums.

Thanks to AnarchistAbe for the tip.

Note that currently, the beta is testing:
1) A new map (cp_5gorge)
2) A modification to cp_granary
3) Three variations of Natascha.
4) A variation of the Saharan Spy set bonus.

And that's it, for now.

Also note this isn't the first time Valve has opened a beta version parallel to the "official" version (there's still a beta going on for Counter Strike Source).

Delusibeta:

Also note this isn't the first time Valve has opened a beta version parallel to the "official" version (there's still a beta going on for Counter Strike Source).

I was going to say, CSS's has been going on for a while now.

Seems like a good idea to me.

I just tried it not too long ago, and it's really not that much different now. Then again, no Heavies on the server I was in were using the Natascha variants, so it kinda defeats the purpose of the whole thing. I played cp_5Gorge, and really all I can say is 'meh.' Basically plays like cp_granary or cp_well.

EDIT: Although I am a little miffed that the only Polycount weapons that are just given out are the weapons from the Saharan Spy pack (and the hat!). Dammit, I wanted my Degreaser and Powerjack.

Sooo what, this is a kind of permanent testing ground for new stuff Valve want to put in TF2?

...Cool :P

All I'm hoping is they fix the motherflippin' Shortstop.
I want to know which nincompoop at valve suddenly decided the Scout needs a new Scattergun that has no downsides compared to the original.

I'll have to look into it. Getting a look at what could be coming to the main game could be fun.

This actually sounds awesome, it makes Valve great. Letting tests/experiments happen without messing up the main game configuration so most the players can play in a content fashion.

Lets see what results in the end with the beta!

"and a balance change that eliminates the slowdown effect on players who are being healed by a medic"

WHAT? Since when are people slowed by a medic??????

Now nobody can ever complain about balance again! :D

Fr]anc[is:
"and a balance change that eliminates the slowdown effect on players who are being healed by a medic"

It means being healed by a medic cancels the slow effect you get from stuff like Natascha.

I think I'm going to be playing this more than the regular game. I don't play often, and it's very annoying to get killed by people who have better stuff than me.

This is a very clever testing method rather than relying on surveys...see Activision? This is how you SHOULD test for your games, not your ass-backwards bullshit-logic customer surveys you conduct to find out what games SHOULD be made

Great, now the game can test the stuff that I don't get because I'm not hyper lucky and don't screw over my team to get the achievements on a regular basis. Oh yeah, and I'm not paying for it.

Delusibeta:

4) A variation of the Saharan Spy set bonus.

Oh yeah? What's the change? I haven't had a chance to download it yet, and I haven't seen anything about that...

I can't wait to beta test the meet the Medic and Meet the Pyro videos.

I were preparing to say "wtf?" before I read the article.

K so I'm 2 hours and 30 min away from beta happyness. Oh wait the steam servers are over-used and I can't even start the download. :(

Valve is weird, but what ever works I guess. And 3 Nataschas? CRY SOME MOORX3

Still no content for consoles :(

Why can't they do a beta for the consoles, they'll get loads of downloads. I'm still waiting for new content on the xbox version.

electronic wolf:
Still no content for consoles :(

Why can't they do a beta for the consoles, they'll get loads of downloads. I'm still waiting for new content on the xbox version.

I think they gave up on the Xbox. I mean, they announced it in 2007, said they were still working on it in 2008, and they have never been heard ever since.
They also said: "The xbox doesnt have enough memory, we don't want to sell the updates (because microsoft forces us" and some more stuff I have forgotten.

Having played TF2 few years ago, I lol'd when reading the title. It now almost makes sense after reading it all, though.

Does it have the Source Filmmaker? Or something like that?

Crossborder:

Fr]anc[is:

It means being healed by a medic cancels the slow effect you get from stuff like Natascha.

That's an interesting dynamic. Maybe heavies will become the medic-buddies that they once were instead of Demomen, etc.

Of course, for long-distance running EVERY heavy should be using the Gloves of Running Urgently anyways... hmm. We'll see.

Ughh, I wish that they would just leave the game alone. It is too confusing with all the new weapon options.

I feel like its becoming less of a shooter and more of a stat based MMO.

I liked it when it was as simple as, "this guy has a machine gun, watch out up close."

Be interesting to see how they've changed the Sahara Spy, threading nade spam/sentry cannons is tough as Sahara without dopey Engies.

I've heard this is an entirely separate game that takes up nine gigabytes of extra space and takes however long to download nine gigabytes would take on your connection. Like, they didn't recycle any of the redundant data at all. If that's true, epic fail. Hell, even their other games use the same copy of the engine.

Soviet Heavy:
Ughh, I wish that they would just leave the game alone. It is too confusing with all the new weapon options.

I feel like its becoming less of a shooter and more of a stat based MMO.

I liked it when it was as simple as, "this guy has a machine gun, watch out up close."

Yeah, the most newbie-friendly FPS in the world, and they had to make it the most newbie-UNfriendly one but for completely different reasons.

Steve the Pocket:
I've heard this is an entirely separate game that takes up nine gigabytes of extra space and takes however long to download nine gigabytes would take on your connection. Like, they didn't recycle any of the redundant data at all. If that's true, epic fail. Hell, even their other games use the same copy of the engine.

It takes up about as much memory as Fallout 3, how does that even make sense? (Oh, I'm sorry, Fallout 3 takes less without the expansions.) Maybe that will be their final update, efficiency.

Grufflenark:
I were preparing to say "wtf?" before I read the article.

K so I'm 2 hours and 30 min away from beta happyness. Oh wait the steam servers are over-used and I can't even start the download. :(

"WTF" is about what I thought when I saw the beta in my "Steam Games" list. Here's a fun "Easter Egg", if you right click the game, and say "view manual", it takes you to a manual for the Engineer's Sentry Gun.

Or, you could just go directly there: http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/440/SentryManual_web.pdf?t=1289585230

YES YES YES! THIS WILL BE AMAZING!

I mean after the new update, things went kind of wonky, but hopefully Valve will clean up all the small stuff and then fix the balance! I will now join the beta!

P.S. An eight gig download... What?

I thought you were serious there for a second. Will be checking this out.

EDIT: "Steam servers to busy to handle your request."
:(

Question;

So, in this beta, you automatically unlock all the weapons or something like that, but this turns off the random drop system and the store. Does this mean that I receive the weapons in regular TF2 or do I get no random drops in either version?

Wow, TF2 beta is so friendly..

If they add hats to TF2 beta I'm gonna be angry..

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here