Man Attaches Cyborg Camera Implant to His Skull

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Man Attaches Cyborg Camera Implant to His Skull

In the name of art, an NYU photography professor has surgically implanted a camera into the back of his head.

New York University photography professor Wafaa Bilal, previously known for his work on a videogame mod called The Night of Bush Capturing: A Virtual Jihadi that cast players as a suicide bomber, is making waves once again. This time, he's gone and implanted a camera into the back of his skull for a new photography experiment that sounds really painful.

A magnetic camera mount was surgically attached to the back of Bilal's head by a body modification artist. The artist gave Bilal a "transdermal implant" which includes three titanium plates and posts, which the base for a 10-megapixel camera was screwed into. He says it "hurt a lot."

Bilal underwent the painful operation for a project called "The 3rd I." The camera will take photos at one-minute intervals for an entire year and beam them to an exhibit at the new Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art in Qatar, which opens on December 30, 2010. According to his website, the project will begin on December 15.

The premise behind the project is to comment on the "inaccessibility of time and the inability to capture memory and experience," Bilal says. He adds that he's interested in "what he leaves behind." For now this has only been a shower curtain and a bunch of other boring stuff, but he's sure to capture a lot of interesting moments in the hundreds of thousands of photos he plans to take over the next year.

He could have just worn a helmet cam, but that'd be too obvious to bystanders and wouldn't work for the premise of the project, it seems. Bilal has agreed to cap the lens of his head camera while on campus at NYU to protect the school's students, but it'll be on for every other portion of his life. It's even waterproof and will work in the shower.

Bilal's friends are already starting to uninvite him to gatherings because of the camera, but he doesn't care. It's an extreme project, but it also has a compelling nature that should see some cool results.

Source: PopSci, WSJ

Wait a sec...they actually put a camera inside the skin of his neck? What a crazy SOB!

...uh he agreed to turn off the camera when on campus to protect the students? from what? and if they need protection from..the camera? why dont other people need protection from it

I saw this in the paper today and I was like 'What the hell have you done man?'

That's pretty awesome, actually. You just need to have a witty one-liner prepared for when someone asks why there's a lens in the base of your skull.

Buy me this now.

Can't he ... you know just take a picture every now and then? No? ah ok then.

That is batshit insane. And disgusting.

That's messed up. Would be cooler if he made a Prosthetic eye that can record images.

That's totally insane. And awesome!

I just hope a woman takes the initiative to flash at the camera while he's turned the other way and shout "Take that, Arab Museum of Modern Art in Qatar!"

Pointless tech-fappery. Now, if he'd hooked it up to his visual cortex, he'd be getting my kudos. Now, only sneers.

-facepalm-

He doesn't do it because he's going blind, or because he is constantly stalked. He does it for the art. What a moron.

...why? A third of the pictures are going to take pictures of the exact same thing over and over again, like his pillow or a darkened ceiling or something like that. Seriously, how's he going to sleep with that in the back of his skull? It looks mighty uncomfortable.

Why not go with a smaller spycam or something? It seems less intrusive than that big honking thing.

Cool. This could be the first step into augmented eyes! Machine eyes for those that can't see!

Tankichi:
That's messed up. Would be cooler if he made a Prosthetic eye that can record images.

Didnt some australian guy do that like half a year ago?
I remember i saw an article about it on this site...

OT:
Its a cool project, done in a wierd way...

People are uninviting him to gatherings? I'm awful about taking pictures, so I would want this guy with me whenever I had a party. Props to him for the project.

Halceon:
Pointless tech-fappery. Now, if he'd hooked it up to his visual cortex, he'd be getting my kudos. Now, only sneers.

Very true, right here. He could have taken the mount a few steps further. It's neat what he did, but it's not the best he could have done.

Yeah, why precisely can't he take photos on campus? In theory you should always need someone's permission to take photos of them, and a separate set of permissions to display them prominently/on the internet, but why more so on campus?

This is pretty awesome, I am in full support of this guy, I think that this is a great project and I am looking forward to seeing what comes of it.

Insanity...Genius
Those three dots are the only thing separating it.

btw: If teachers ever incorporate this I will kill myself. (or all teachers)

I'm sure he is secretly taking pictures of his students during school hours, and just not posting them up on the internet. You know, to see what they're doing when he's not looking.

After a point, if enough people know what this guy's about, a handful of the pictures a month or two down are going to be of people stalking him and making funny faces.

Man, I should have gone to NYU. Cool stuff like that never happens here.

It's going to suck if at the end of the year, all the photos are boring.

EllEzDee:

And yet, if you give it fifty years we'll all have camera-phone implants. Hurray for the IiPhone (internal iPhone).

So basically, we now have a cyborg in our midst?

SWEEEEEEEET

Wonder how many pictures of his ceiling we're going to see.

*wink wink*

Or a few months from now we'll get another article about how someone got upset at having their picture taken without permission and either a)smashes the camera into the guys head or b)sue the crap outta him.

I think it's pointless and ridiculous. This guy needs his ability to communicate with other people revoked lest others begin to screw cameras into their skulls for "art".

First sign of the Beast....

Is is strange to anyone else that Tom has put up all five of the most recent news posts? Is everyone else on break? Either way, props for keeping up, Tom.

Lord_Panzer:
Wonder how many pictures of his ceiling we're going to see.

*wink wink*

Hundreds, I'm sure. :D

I guess this man
*puts on sun glasses*
really DOES have eyes in the back of his head

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

"Oh, cool, there's a camera on the back of your head, let me see it."
"AAAARRIGGH!"
"It's not coming off, jeeze, what is this? Superglue?"
"AAGRGH stop it, it's an art project, it's surgically attached back there."
"Oh, stop being melodramatic, I wanna see it."
"AAARGGH!"

EllEzDee:

Why is it disgusting? I think your not seeing this from his viewpoint.

OT: Good for him, I suppose. I can't think of ways this will help anyon though.

Attaching a camera to the back of your head for art? I can think of 5 better uses for that camera, starting with helping the blind!

ishist:
I think it's pointless and ridiculous. This guy needs his ability to communicate with other people revoked lest others begin to screw cameras into their skulls for "art".

It is. He's clearly not a very good artist if the only thing he can think of is to stick a camera in the back of his skull. What a friggin' idiot. Another thing to add to his list of crazy shit, that makes me think he should be locked in the loony bin.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here