Tomb Raider Reboot/Origin Story On Its Way

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Tomb Raider Reboot/Origin Story On Its Way

Lara Croft's next adventure will be her very, very first.

It's no secret that Lara Croft - once the golden girl of gaming - has had less-than-stellar showings as of late. Her best recent title had nothing to do with the main Tomb Raider series, for one.

Recognizing that the Tomb Raider name hasn't been holding up so well these days, developer Crystal Dynamics is hoping for a fresh start: Game Informer confirmedthe long-rumored series reboot this morning.

This is Lara Croft younger and less seasoned than gamers have ever seen her. The new game - titled simply Tomb Raider - will tell the tale of her very first adventure, which is less a search for ancient treasure and more a fight for survival. Or, in other words, we could just quote the press release: "After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive."

From the image we see here (Game Informer's January cover), Lara has certainly been in better shape. Consider us intrigued by the bow she's apparently wielding, though.

(Game Informer)

O_O

Never was a fan of the series 'cause of all the madness but this... me is interested.

I'm ashamed to say it... but I'm interested.

Really interested in what they'll make of this, hopefully it will be of the high quality of the last few games.

Why is there a metrosexual, 19-year-old guy on the front of a Tomb Raider poster?

And why am I getting the sneaking suspicion that they're going to make her American?

I got to see a trailer of this game.

This better be better than Underworld. I couldn't stand that game and actually prevented my brother from completing it with a glitch.

If this is what it says it is, then I will be very interested. But if this IS her origin story and when she's a bit younger, is she going to still going to be going after the sex appeal with her "Features" or would that be considered illegal?

Calumon: She needs a wash, maybe she should use our bath Jack?

Wasn't her first adventure already covered in The Last Revelation? With Von Croy?

I don't know... Tomb Raider's been dead to me since Chronicles.

Jack and Calumon:
This better be better than Underworld. I couldn't stand that game and actually prevented my brother from completing it with a glitch.

If this is what it says it is, then I will be very interested. But if this IS her origin story and when she's a bit younger, is she going to still going to be going after the sex appeal with her "Features" or would that be considered illegal?

Calumon: She needs a wash, maybe she should use our bath Jack?

She was like 35 in the other games so I'd imagine they've stuck around 20-25.

teqrevisited:
Wasn't her first adventure already covered in The Last Revelation? With Von Croy?

I don't know... Tomb Raider's been dead to me since Chronicles.

Reboot.

Aww... I kinda hoped they'd rework her original "Origin Story" (the plane crash in Nepal).

But hey, if this game's good, I'll be happy.

Although she'd better stay British. And as iconic as her breasts are, can we PLEASE tone them down a bit? Legend did a good job of keeping my attention away from her chest, emulate that please.

As long as her boobs are unrealistically big and she wears as little clothing as the esrb will allow...It will sell in the millions. Also, never played the originals, but I did play anniversary and legend. They were decent at best. Lara croft and the guardian of light also has me somewhat interested.

Woodsey:
Why is there a metrosexual, 19-year-old guy on the front of a Tomb Raider poster?

Isn't it? A friend called it "final-fantasy-like" because it's gender-bendingly confusing. I mean, she's very pretty, but she has a jaw like Kratos.

I'd really like to see this game do well.

When I first got a playstation as a little kid, my two older sisters went out and bought me the very first Tomb Raider game. They gave me it and watched me play it out of interest. After that the three of us spent the next few weeks sitting down and playing the game through. Then they got me number 2 and 3 and 4. After 4 we kinda started getting bored of it, but the first three managed to keep us entertained very much. So I've always had fond memories of playing those games and having fun with family, suprisingly in a single player game.

Seneschal:

Woodsey:

Isn't it? A friend called it "final-fantasy-like" because it's gender-bendingly confusing. I mean, she's very pretty, but she has a jaw like Kratos.

Her jaw looks rather swollen as opposed to naturally big, and you can see she's taken a hit to the mouth.

Wow a reboot just what the franchise needed, but how did they think of it? The unconventional genius of the idea will shake the very foundation of entertainment industry.

Also, the picture made me laugh.

Seneschal:

Woodsey:

I can see stubble too - look at the upper lip.

Does anyone else think this may just end up being an Uncharted clone? Granted if it's well implemented, it won't matter, but I can't help but worry that this is going to garner all sorts of comparisons to that series.

John Funk:
[snip]...a frightened young woman...[snip]

I'm suddenly very afraid we're going to get a Metroid Other M style character derailment.

I generally dislike prequels and reboots. Isn't the entire point of a continuing series that the story, y'know, continues... instead of stagnating in flashbacks and revisionism?

So it's going to take place before her teenage years?

Great what is it tomb raider only your a toddler trying to escape a cot?

At least they didn't make her look like the main character of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, like a certain male protagonist of another game also described as a "reboot."

Not sure how this is going to pan out.

The reboot intrigues me, but that cover... weird waxwork face is weird, especially her eyes. I don't care if they make her look like a sexpot, but come on, guys, at least make her look female.

Count me as definitely interested.. but then I've long been a fan of the series and feel that outside of a couple notably poor titles, and major over exposure, it's been a very good one.

Woodsey:

Seneschal:

Woodsey:

I can see stubble too - look at the upper lip.

Relatively certain that's dirt.

A-yup.

StriderShinryu:
Count me as definitely interested.. but then I've long been a fan of the series and feel that outside of a couple notably poor titles, and major over exposure, it's been a very good one.

Indeed. I think the problem is balancing what is sellable, what is believable and what is fun; which are usually three different areas. Let's hope we at least get a whiff of estrogen this time instead of the testosterone.

Metrosexuality is fast becoming one of my new hate words though. That picture is NOT making me feel happy for the reboot. And if they make her American, there will be blood on my hands.

I was going to say "yawn", but that actually sounds fairly interesting...although there's no real reason for it to be called Tomb Raider except bloodless marketing ones.

Is she going to stumble on an ancient tomb while stranded wherever? If so, what's she going to find in there? Won't that derail the "one goal: survive" concept?

I'd just as soon have this be a brand new game called Stranded: Struggle to Survive or something. Let dead dogs rot.

Woodsey:

And why am I getting the sneaking suspicion that they're going to make her American?

oh... so now "remakes" are "localizing games to U.S"

that makes sense...

dear god just let her die and create "Uncharted" with a female lead (wich is what im guessing will do)

For a reboot, it's oddly close to the current origin story for Ms Croft about her being the only survivor of a plane crash, found in the manual for the first game.

HentMas:

Woodsey:

oh... so now "remakes" are "localizing games to U.S"

that makes sense...

Err... No.

I can just see it happening.

Didn't they already do this for Tomb Raider a while back? I'm getting a strong feeling of Deja Vu.

Why not just have her look like her model?

Sixcess:

John Funk:
[snip]...a frightened young woman...[snip]

I'm suddenly very afraid we're going to get a Metroid Other M style character derailment.

I generally dislike prequels and reboots. Isn't the entire point of a continuing series that the story, y'know, continues... instead of stagnating in flashbacks and revisionism?

Well, in all fairness here I'm not sure it's character derailment if it's supposed to show her BEFORE she was the confident globetrotting adventurer. Other M was objectionable because Samus was already supposed to be a badass bounty hunter.

Yahtzee filing system rage imminent

I thought that Legend was a reboot, and it detailed Lara's origins.
It was also, in my opinion, the best of the series.

Not quite sure why there needs to be another reboot, after the newest one came out 2 years ago.
I guess we've got another victim of Spider-Man syndrome.

Nevertheless, I like the series and the reboot worked once before, so maybe it'll work again.

Colour me interested. If there's one thing I love almost (keyword: almost) as much as Legend of Zelda, it's Tomb Raider.

this had better be good...

ive been playing these games since the first and Crystal Dynamics have yet to impress me as much as Core Design did...

My problem with Tomb Raider has always been that the CORE games were challenging but soulless, no story worth mentioning. Crystal Dynamics actually had a very nice trilogy story-wise but the games were just no fun to play and were stupidly easy. I couldn't help thinking while doing the Romulus Shrines in Brotherhood that it was the best Tomb Raider game I'd played in about 10 years.

Lets just do a little maths here, Legend came out in 2006 and was a reboot(changed her origin story, changed her character, fine), this is 2010 and it's another reboot. That's five years. This is getting ridiculous. If they base this within their current canon I'll be happy because they have a nice mythology going. (Yes ok, on paper the fact that by end of the trilogy Lara is in possession of Excalibur (2 of them) and Thor's Hammer which were built by the Atlanteans, sounds a little daft but come on, it's fun!)

If this is another 'dark, gritty, origin story' which attempts to be 'realistic' someones going to have their house blown up by an evil, Atlantean Doppelganger...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here