Kinect-Based Helicopter Heralds a Terrifying Robotic Dawn

Kinect-Based Helicopter Heralds a Terrifying Robotic Dawn

Is this Kinect-driven quadrocopter merely a cool hack, or are we teaching our consoles how to fly around and kill us all?

Whether or not you like Kinect as a game device, there's no question that it's some pretty cool hardware, and hackers have taken full advantage of that.

This latest Kinect hack, though - using the device to create a sort of 3D radar attached to a quad-bladed helicopter - is vaguely frightening. Maybe it's the incessant hum, like a swarm of hungry insects. Maybe it's the unnatural bob and weave in midair.

Maybe it's just because it reminds me of a Manhack from Half-Life 2. I think that's probably it.

(1UP)

I love it! I want one! Soooo much potential! (So much death >.>)

Ah man, if we don't fuck ourselves over the future's going to be crazy awesome tech-wise!

At least we know it's weakness, cardboard boxes...

But this is pretty awesome...

Wow

All the best things for the Kinect have all been done by bedroom programmers.

Now, as I've said before, mixing this with the Move will make a killer commbination, then we could have actual manhacks!

Hacking other people hardware to make you job easer. Science at its best.

Well I for one welcome our new robotic masters. >.>
Please don't kill me Kinect-driven quadrocopter. T^T

I only have one word to describe this: bitchin'

As my friend just said, "WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!"

John Funk:

Maybe it's just because it reminds me of a Manhack from Half-Life 2. I think that's probably it.

The manhack was the first thing that came to mind. Scary stuff man, scary stuff.

Pretty frickin' awesome. Best kinect hack i've seen so far. I may have misjudged kinect, but just imagine all the hacks that would have been possible if the camera wasn't downgraded.... :( .

Robots won't kill humans unless they give robots a reason to.

Seems like Kinect will have much more use than just games. I bet that US military is already thinking about using it for its unmanned vehicles. More useful sensor, outputting tons of data in a understandable manner (as shown by amount of people using it) , for just 150$ (military cams used for things like that surely cost more).

SomethingAmazing:
Robots won't kill humans unless they give robots a reason to.

Agreed. We'll be fine as long as we don't develop artificial intelligence and start attaching weapons to these Kinectocopters, then we'll be fine.

I wonder if that'll be the next thing UC Berkley works on? Incorporating AI from Call of Duty -- so you can start 'tagging' friendlies and then letting the tech start 'hunting' out other humans.

Bitchin'!

Now all we need to do is attach a gun to it and we have a Bioshock copter sentry! :P

If they could get a 360 degree sensor, that helicopter's mapping could be superior to anything else that consumers are able to get their hands on.

If i had one his name would be Carl. He would be Imperial Blue with golden trim.

Carl would patrol my house for intruders, bring my ice cold Dr. Peppers when i was thirsty, and a plate of fritos when i was hungry.

It's been a month and people have done this with kinect already, imagine what they might be doing in a year.

kouriichi:
If i had one his name would be Carl. He would be Imperial Blue with golden trim.

Carl would patrol my house for intruders, bring my ice cold Dr. Peppers when i was thirsty, and a plate of fritos when i was hungry.

Imagine a burglar suddenly faced with one of these floating after them, with a recorded soundbyte claiming that they are to blame for the now-imminent destruction of the human race by the cold, metal hands of machines.

I'm terrified now, because the military may eventually build Manhacks, and that is a world I don't want to live in.

I need to practice my crowbar skills.

Don't worry, if they do try to take over the world they'll all just rrod and burn themselves out.

Thought this had to do with a whole different type of helicopter. The kind referenced by Stepto in his Book of Enforement.

Joshimodo:

Imagine a burglar suddenly faced with one of these floating after them, with a recorded soundbyte claiming that they are to blame for the now-imminent destruction of the human race by the cold, metal hands of machines.

I'm terrified now, because the military may eventually build Manhacks, and that is a world I don't want to live in.

Exactly! if im nice to Carl, eventually when the robots do take over, they will show mercy!
Maybe make me one of the waterbucket slaves insted of the miner slaves!

kouriichi:

Joshimodo:

Exactly! if im nice to Carl, eventually when the robots do take over, they will show mercy!
Maybe make me one of the waterbucket slaves insted of the miner slaves!

A man can dream.

Add a turret.

????????

Profit?

In all seriousness. Well done Microsoft for creating such a powerful tool.

And well done hackers for abusing it and creating the first prototype for our future robot overlords.

Wicky_42:
I love it! I want one! Soooo much potential! (So much death >.>)

Ah man, if we don't fuck ourselves over the future's going to be crazy awesome tech-wise!

well, this is how I see the future

it starts off Mirrors Edge style, with fucking shiny buildings and shit

then we will have robocops

then robocops will be replaced by actual robotic cops instead of cyborgs

then an AI will be created to make work easier to those who keep the robot cops up

then SKYNET

then japanese Gundams, Escaflownes, and the cute little robot from Metal Storm will come to help us and tore the shit out of our evil robots

then hive-mind aliens will come along

then "dead" robot carcasses will be used as armors

then...

STARSHIP TROOPERS

then the earth is saved and goes back to the Mirror's Edge styled society, but "watched over" by a big brother

the big brother ends up being HAL 9001

repeat the cycle

I'd be afraid, but it's weakness is cardboard. I think we can survive this one.

I don`t care much about the Kinect games, but the hacks, the hacks are awesome.

Get your bunkers ready folks. It wont be long now!

It's all over! We're fucked man! Game over!

Now please work on the A.I.
It's frustrating to have a killbot stop because there is a box in front.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here