Zynga Scores Its Biggest Hit Yet With CityVille

Zynga Scores Its Biggest Hit Yet With CityVille

It looks like Zynga has another hit on its hands with CityVille, which debuted on Facebook last week and quickly became the studio's best social game launch ever.

I suppose it's bad news for anyone hoping that the air might be out of the Zynga balloon, but the demand for Ville-action on Facebook is still running strong. Zynga announced today that last week's CityVille launch generated its best numbers ever, more than doubling the previous mark set by FrontierVille. That game drew 116,000 players on its first day; CityVille pulled in a whopping 290,000.

After a week of play, more than 2.7 million CityVille homes have been built, along with 500,000 bakeries and five million sections of road. It's tricky to nail down what exactly that means after only a week of operation but it sure sounds impressive; possibly even more important, however, is that 25 percent of players are interacting with their friends games as well.

AppData reports that CityVille has already climbed to more than 1.2 million monthly active users, with more than 320,000 added today alone. That's still a long, long way from the big FarmVille dog, which is rocking more than 54 million monthly active users, or FrontierVille, with over 30 million, but given the pattern of growth Zynga's previous Ville games have experienced, it's an awfully good start.

Source: VentureBeat

But. How can a city also be a ville? It's like having an Ocean-sea (unless it's an estuary).
More than those numbers that name baffles me.

I already have quite a few friends on Facebook that play Cityville. From the sounds of it, it does look like a pretty in-depth game, though I have yet to check it out myself. Maybe someday soon ^~^.

MasterSplinter:
But. How can a city also be a ville? It's like having an Ocean-sea (unless it's an estuary).
More than those numbers that name baffles me.

"Warhammer. It's like saying dinner food."

With absolutely no experience with any other zynga game at all, i decided to take this on.

Following the "quests" so to speak, my city was quickly bankrupt and my mayor was too feeble to even go door to door to collect taxes. Also all my businesses are sold out of everything. Go us.

So it's kind of like SimTown for Facebook? I used to love playing SimTown back in my elementary school days, so I guess I could get into this. I probably won't though. I'm just not on FB often enough.

Isn't this just a complete and shameless rip off of sims city?

The Rockerfly:

More or less.

Sim City! Facebook edition.

The Rockerfly:

I haven't played it but from what I hear about all their other apps being rip offs of actual games then this one also being a copy is very likely.

Veloxe:

More or less.

Sim City! Facebook edition.

ragestreet:

I haven't played it but from what I hear about all their other apps being rip offs of actual games then this one also being a copy is very likely.

Oh Zynga, when will you ever do something that is your own legal idea?

I'm calling it first, the next one is "Spaceville". TAKING ALL BETS!

I'm playing it, since i litterly have nothing better to do, my city is called 'horrible painful death' compleat with a Rat Bakery and Ebola Coffee.

Apperntly my citizens are happy

The Rockerfly:

It is made by Zynga what do you expect?
When they stop selling user info, and rip off other games, that is when I would be suprised.

Baldry:

What about PirateVille, has that been made yet?

Exort:

The Rockerfly:

It is made by Zynga what do you expect?
When they stop selling user info, and rip off other games, that is when I would be suprised.

All games copy similar ideas from one another. It is part of the gaming industry itself. Zynga never sold anyone's information. There was a data leak on Facebook that affected "ALL APPLICATIONS", with the exception of LOLApps which intentionally sold the information. It's well documented, even here on The Escapist.

Cityville? That doesn't even make any damn sense!

NLS:

Baldry:

I think so, there is a game based around buried treasure so that'll probably the most we can expect on that department.

As Simcity clones go, it looks kinda lame. Almost as bad looking as Evony being a poor mans Civ clone.

I actually think Zynga planned this all out in advance to release a new -ville game everytime the last one starts to lose players.

Hmmm...is it supposed to be like a smaller SimCity perhaps? Or what? Maybe I should give this a shot. <3

ragestreet:

The Rockerfly:

This being the company that ex-employees admitted they were told to rip off existing successful games instead of pushing for newer experiences.

Next up: Sid Meier's CivilizationVille.

There already a civ clone on fb its called city of wonder and is basically your typical "anything worth having you gotta buy our special cash to get" deal.

NLS:

Baldry:

Kinda. It's called Treasure Island.

It's actually a pretty addicting game;however, the problem about this game is that it encourages spamming. I mean the game was almost made to make you spam your Facebook friends. You need to find a CityVille Fan Site in order to find neighbors just so you can add so many new friends to spam energy links and requests. They did the same with their game, YoVille, wherein players could get more factory only if they have 200 neighbors. lol So of course players flocked to a YoVille Fan Site to desperately look for neighbors.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here