New Tomb Raider Raider Reboot Details Emerge

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Tomb Raider Raider Reboot Details Emerge

What is Crystal Dynamics changing for the new and improved Tomb Raider? An awful lot, it turns out.

The latest issue of Game Informer has given us a glimpse into what to expect from the new Tomb Raider. The reboot of the franchise - which is said to be a reboot of the whole franchise, not just the games - was formally revealed earlier this week.

Story-wise, the new Lara is 21, and is eager to prove herself after leaving university. She signs up with Conrad Roth, a former British marine who now captains a salvage ship, and goes off in search of treasure on an island near Japan. The ship is torn apart by a terrible storm, and Lara is knocked unconscious. When she wakes, she finds herself tied up upside-down in front of a strange altar and has to burn her restraints - and herself - in order to escape. These exertions, and others besides, will take their toll on Lara, who will quickly find herself caked in grime and blood - quite a lot of it her own.

Crystal Dynamics has gone back to the drawing board when designing its new Lara. Certain elements of the old Lara had been retained, like her ponytail or the shape of her lips, but her improbable curves and enormous chest are gone. Her wardrobe too, has received an update, consisting of sturdy boots, cargo pants, and layered tanks tops - in other words, attire more suited to exploration than tight shirts and hot pants. Brian Horton, Crystal Dynamics' senior art director, says that the new Lara will still be attractive, but that the reboot wouldn't play up sexuality for its own sake. A lot of the new Lara's sex appeal, he says, will come from the mixture of toughness and vulnerability that Crystal Dynamics was infusing the character with.

The gameplay is getting tweaked, too, with the linear progression of previous games ditched in favor of a "Metroidvania" style of play, where new equipment allows Lara to explore more of the island. There will be a survival mechanic, although experience director Noah Hughes says that the game won't be dipping into simulation territory. The game will also have base camps, where players can upgrade Lara's skills and tinker with salvaged equipment to make new gear. Players will be able to fast travel between base camps, which Crystal Dynamics says will minimize the amount of backtracking required.

The reboot will see Lara lose her trademark twin pistols, in favor of scavenged weaponry. While Crystal Dynamics are tight lipped about the actual weapons, concept art shows her with a bow, a pistol a climbing axe, and what could be a shotgun. The lock-on system is also gone, with a free aim combat system taking its place. Brand director Karl Stewart says that combat will be a matter of survival for Lara, and while she'll be capable of handling anything that comes at her, she's won't necessarily be prepared for it psychologically.

I have to admit, the new Tomb Raider sounds like a lot of fun. Whether it will actually end up being fun is anyone's guess, but there's plenty there to be cautiously optimistic about. You can find out more from the December issue of Game Informer, which will be available later this month.

Source: via 1up

Aw no, not again...

Anyone got a picture of a salt mountain that I can borrow? Still, it's something we haven't seen before, and at least they're confessing that they're not going to play up the sexuality too much.

This may be the Tomb Raider that actually gets me to like the franchise...

Sounds interesting enough anyway.

Oh god, please don't mess it up.

I'd rather they got rid of the combat altogether, less risk that way of doing it badly but then again it could payoff in the same way it did for PoP warrior within.

Sounds like they won't try to find people to take zip and alistars place either.

I read this article yesterday.

So excited. Any game with survival aspects equals an autobuy for me.

I know I'd sound like a shallow jackass here, but, uh, Lara without dem beach balls is like, idk, not-so-lara

it's like removing the "blue" of sonic, or mario's red and blue overall

but yeah, I will still buy the game

The gameplay sounds fascinating to me. I'll be interested in seeing it. The aesthetic revisions would sound interesting ... if I didn't see the scowling bitch on the cover of that magazine standing in front of what appears to be a cookie-cutter greyscale post-apocalypse from every other video game in the last five years. Meanwhile they say that she's "not as confident" as in the other games, which reeks to me of Metroid: Other M's wussy, co-dependent, insecure portrayal of Samus.

Not gonna judge until I see the game, but I'm damn skeptical. Interested, but skeptical. Honestly, I think these reboots really need to stop. If they're going to completely re-imagine everything about a series from the ground up, they should really just re-title it and make something original instead. Yeah, I know, all that garbage about how risky it is to start a new IP, but come on, if you heard this description attached to a game OTHER than Tomb Raider it'd sound really cool, you just wouldn't have the baggage that Lara Croft's image and name brings with it. If the new Devil May Cry was just a new game it'd just have the stigma of being another crappy Ninja Theory game in the making rather than both that AND the baggage that comes with the name of the series being attached to it.

I dunno. If I had to name game series that need reboots, Tomb Raider would be at the top of the list as a game that has NO credibility to begin with and that hasn't been relevant in YEARS and desperately needs some new ideas and a better focus, but all the same, we just saw a female gaming icon's image ROYALLY screwed and we really don't need another one to follow suit. Difficult as Croft makes herself to like, you can make her more offensive. You can do far worse things than hyper-sexualize her. We'll see, though. We'll see.

Wow, I'm actually rather interested now. So long as she still has her English accent, I may just buy this.

Does anyone think she kind of looks like Jessica Alba? Other than that, seems like an interesting game.

Commander Breetai:
Aw no, not again...

About to post the same thing. This series is the most milked (no pun intended) franchise in the history of gaming. Every year or so there is a new "reboot" and they all reange from mediocre to pretty good. Why don't they just let Lara RIP?

This may be the one game to make me care about the franchise. Keeping my eye on it.

voetballeeuw:
Does anyone think she kind of looks like Jessica Alba? Other than that, seems like an interesting game.

I do, maybe there is going to be a tie in movie to go with this game.

This has got me interested...i'm not really a fan of Tomb Raider but these changes seem like a good idea. No more melons on a pole! In a tight shirt! And hot pants! Yay! Wait...

NickCaligo42:
Meanwhile they say that she's "not as confident" as in the other games, which reeks to me of Metroid: Other M's wussy, co-dependent, insecure portrayal of Samus.

Did you know that Crystal Dynamics is owned by Japanese developer Square-Enix?

Please please please be good.

I've liked almost all the Tomb Raider games up until now, and I really don't want this one to be the next Angel of Darkness.

Sounds like they have big ideas though.

Oh, and if you don't like Lara Croft anymore, why do you come onto these threads and post things like 'Oh no not again?' Why do you even care?

I hope their is a nude patch for this game on the PC that would be awesome(jk jk jk jk)

Yeah this game sounds really good and I might actually bring me into the series.

I'd like to see what they did with the rest of her *wink wink nudge nudge* before I make my call.

The new Tomb Raider sounds a lot like survival horror. That...actually sounds like a pretty apt genre.

If shes not sexy, the game wont sell. No one wants to play dull girl with a gun game. They need to combine her sexiness with good gameplay to make it successful.

So far, I'm very excited about this game, but the only thing that has me upset is the loose of the dual pistols. Maybe she'll find them on the island somewhere...

****ing hell!! not another bloody TR!?
why can't CD come out with something else (instead they jerk-off a TR every bloody year!!! Grrr!)
as soon as i read that she's younger i immediantly thought "oh god! another franchise that's going the DmC shafted-way!!" (then again, i've never liked Lara, but hearing of what they're doing to her makes me depressed for the future of all franchises - what with all the Reboot/Remakes and GOD-HELPME *gritting teeth* all the speel of them being YOUNGER! damnit! why are they getting younger!? what's wrong with being OLDER?!)
- but the only plus of what i read was that the sex-appeal wasn't going to be the only selling point (like all the previous titles).....pfft! as if they'd not have her at some point 'provocotive' ^.0 (what you betting, she's gonna get a make-over to the sexy-side ...again)
- and i my view, the Tomb Raider series needs help (they've been beating her for so long she's now nothing more then a dirty old blood stain)
and when i read the bit about her getting dirt... Uncharted *cough*
...actually, now i'm really having a think about this...there's not going to be anything new or exciting about her - no matter what they do, she'll still be abit of a 'sore thumb' (as i stated, i may not like her -boardering on hate - but even i don't like the sound of them 'dumbing down' her character - i'd rather still have the 'bitch with no personality' if their not even going to try to give her a character that's likeable....

Despite the horrible titles, I am rather curious. I hope they bring out a demo, I totally want to see how the platforming goes. If it's still stiff and unresponsive, I am gone. But glad they are making her more decent in clothing.

I'd rather have Legacy of Kain then another tomb raider.

I haven't bought a Crystal Dynamic tomb raider game other then anniversary and that was because i liked the first Tomb Raider. and after playing parts of Legend and underworld at my sister's i've not missed much.

karloss01:
I'd rather have Legacy of Kain then another tomb raider.

i hear ya - oh the PAIN! i feel it too!! *cries*

Why not just make this a new series? Nothing against it, but I get the feeling the only reason this is called Tomb Raider is for brand recognition. Now I'm not saying TR didn't desperately need a complete series reboot (lord knows, this is the first reboot I think should have come earlier), but now this game will have the rest of the TR series and stigmas hanging around its neck like a f***ing albatross.

Oh, come on. Another tomb raider? The mysteriousness of the Game Informer teaser almost led me to believe that Half Life 2 episode 3 was finally coming out...*sob*

They're taking away her gigantic boobs? Bastards.

Krakyn:
They're taking away her gigantic boobs? Bastards.

They were too big if you ask me. She looked ridiculous. I like the idea of a more realistic looking Lara. I like what I see in that picture.

Sounds like a dream.

I'll believe it when I see it though. Like a DEV hasn't promised me the world before.

Crystal Dynamics has gone back to the drawing board when designing its new Lara. Certain elements of the old Lara had been retained, like her ponytail or the shape of her lips, but her improbable curves and enormous chest are gone. Her wardrobe too, has received an update, consisting of sturdy boots, cargo pants, and layered tanks tops - in other words, attire more suited to exploration than tight shirts and hot pants.

Oh Thank God... A realilistic Lara.

*Edit*

Mr. Omega:
... stigmas hanging around its neck like a f***ing albatross.

Did you just make a reference The Rime of the Ancient Mariner?

WarpCode:
If shes not sexy, the game wont sell. No one wants to play dull girl with a gun game. They need to combine her sexiness with good gameplay to make it successful.

They've said she is going to be sexy. And since when did not having gigantic breasts equate somebody to being dull?

I've never been a fan of Tomb Raider, but this sounds kinda cool. Will keep my eyes on it, but I'm not expecting the world.

I read the entire Game Informer feature and came away pretty optimistic. I like the new look and the direction CD is taking for this reboot.

I was interested the moment they said Metroidvania.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here