Anonymous Declares "Infowar" on Wikileaks Opponents

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Anonymous Declares "Infowar" on Wikileaks Opponents

Anonymous has rushed to the aid of beleaguered Wikileaks and its founder Julian Assange, launching an "infowar" against companies that are working to bring them down.

A man once famously described the internet as "a series of tubes," a comment that was widely derided for its fundamental misunderstanding of the system. In reality, the internet is more like a box, and inside that box is a cat named Anonymous, existing in a quantum state of both great hero and wicked villain until an observer looks inside and is immediately driven insane by what he sees. That's the best explanation I can come up with, anyway, for the spectacle of Anonymous launching an "infowar" against PayPal, the Swiss bank PostFinance and other operations who have hung Wikileaks and its founder, Julian Assange, out to dry.

It's been a rough ride for Assange, whose Wikileaks has been making headlines for exposing thousands of confidential diplomatic communiques and, prior to that, some very shocking revelations about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. His personal and business finances have been frozen, Wikileaks was effectively (if temporarily) pushed off the net, and journalists and politicians alike - from North America, mind you, not Somalia or Sudan - have actually called for his murder. And now, riding in to its own particular brand of rescue, comes Anonymous.

The Operation: Payback-style attack against PayPal was fairly ineffective, according to Ars Technica, which noted that the PayPal blog was taken down while the main site went untouched. PostFinance, on the other hand, got clobbered real good and was offline for at least 16 hours, although it appears to be back now. The website of the Swedish prosecutors' office, which is currently pursuing a sexual misconduct case against Assange, was also taken down, although it too appears to be back.

"While we don't have much of an affiliation with WikiLeaks, we fight for the same reasons," Anonymous wrote on the Operation: Payback website. "We want transparency and we counter censorship. The attempts to silence WikiLeaks are long strides closer to a world where we cannot say what we think and are unable to express our opinions and ideas. We cannot let this happen."

Interestingly, anonops.com itself came under a DDoS attack which took it offline briefly, although the Low-Orbit Ion Cannons are apparently still firing.

For now, Assange remains in a U.K. jail after surrendering to police and being denied bail, while Wikileaks survives on various mirror sites and the companies that have attempted to sever its online and financial ties continue to claim that they did so not because of political pressure but because of terms of service violations or technical issues. It's a claim that doesn't seem likely to satisfy Anonymous' thirst for cause-driven mayhem.

I remember seeing this briefly on BBC's twitter feed while have a drink in college. It was only a matter of time before anon decided to intervene.

Normally I enjoy Anonymous' rages, if only because I don't care about their targets or their motives, but this is a really really bad thing, in my personal opinion which I don't want to debate Wikileaks is doing something important, and all Anonymous will end up doing is hurting them with their "help" the same way people like PETA harm the real animal rights activists like the RSPCA.

Bring em down, baby!!

I'm sorry but to hell with this rapist. His alleged sexual-assault crime aside, the man has exposed HIGHLY classified material on the damn internet. No, I don't mean historical documents concerning the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Those documents are history are fully protected by the First Amendment's Freedom of the Press, look up the Pentagon Papers for a similar case involving the Vietnam War and government leaks. I know the man is Australian, but I'm going to judge him by the American legal system.

However, what is NOT PROTECTED is divulging secrets that pose a national security threat. Like say the locations of HIGHLY IMPORTANT sites according to Homeland Security. If I was a terrorist (be it for Al-Qaeda, Neo-Nazi, IRA, etc.) then a list like that is essentially a travel log of where to commit the most horrific result. That's not freedom of the press, that's putting people's lives in danger. So please do not act all surprised when you see politicians in my country calling for his head, he's not some righteous savior...he's a fucking asshole

Can anyone stop the cannons firing?
I still see Anon as a hero, people over look all the good stuff they have done.

Julian Assange might be a scumbag, but I fully support what Wikileaks does and it disgusts me that so many people in power are trying to bring them down. God forbid that governments have a bit of accountability for their actions. Not to sounded like a paranoid nut, but there is a lot of things going on that politicians simply don't want you to know, and I really think that stuff should be brought to light.

Folks are playing dirty against Wikileaks, so I have no problem with questionable methods at this point.

This is some pretty serious political activism, and it's going to carry some pretty serious consequences.

Like, "end of 4chan" or "anonymous not nearly as anonymous as they thought when they were arrested" kind of serious.

qbanknight:
I'm sorry but to hell with this rapist. His alleged sexual-assault crime aside, the man has exposed HIGHLY classified material on the damn internet. No, I don't mean historical documents concerning the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Those documents are history are fully protected by the First Amendment's Freedom of the Press, look up the Pentagon Papers for a similar case involving the Vietnam War and government leaks. I know the man is Australian, but I'm going to judge him by the American legal system.

However, what is NOT PROTECTED is divulging secrets that pose a national security threat. Like say the locations of HIGHLY IMPORTANT sites according to Homeland Security. If I was a terrorist (be it for Al-Qaeda, Neo-Nazi, IRA, etc.) then a list like that is essentially a travel log of where to commit the most horrific result. That's not freedom of the press, that's putting people's lives in danger. So please do not act all surprised when you see politicians in my country calling for his head, he's not some righteous savior...he's a fucking asshole

First of all.. his 'actions' are such that anyone of us could be accused of.. this is just a massive smear campaign being organised and funded by the people he is outing....In this day and age you REALLY should be more aware of the lies and methods used against people to keep them quiet or to distract PEOPLE LIKE YOU away from what is REALLY going on. You should start thinkig for yourself instead of swallowing what the establishment throws at you.

Secondly.. of all the shit you have seen and read about the details of what is being revealed by this peson.. ARE YOU REALLY SURE that we shouldn't know about this.. and if we do all just BURY OUR HEADS IN THE SAND who will stop things from getting worse, a TRUE FASCIST SOCIETY..because they are certainly not going to get any better.

As for the arguement 'but people are going to be harmed.. waaaa'.. really?.. then they shouldn't be involved.. THAT is what is causing 'harm' to come to them, not the revelations them self.

Assange is a BLOODY HERO, because he knew fine well he would be roasted,(regardless of his current legal status) and Anonymous are the only ones left who have the balls and resources to stick up for our rights (granted them may have more chaotic motives.. but the result is the same.)

They call themselves ANONYMOUS! They are hackers on, blah blah blah.

Above is a Sky news report and a BBC news, showing that Anonymous are getting exactly what they don't want. Major Publicity. I wonder how the self proclaimed "Oldfags" will react? I imagine the dubbed "Newfags" will just scream and pretend it's a big deal.

Either way, Anonymous is becoming more into the light and this attack is not going to go overlooked that easily.

I'd say more on the subject, but I fear government agents might arrest me too and make me Number 61 on The Island.

Calumon: So someone is in trouble because he told the truth? :S

Personally I'm convinced that the rape charges are bogus. How they emerged just doesn't make much sense.

Andy Chalk:
the companies that have attempted to sever its online and financial ties continue to claim that they did so not because of political pressure but because of terms of service violations or technical issues.

Cowards and liars.

Fumbleumble:

qbanknight:

First of all.. his 'actions' are such that anyone of us could be accused of.. this is just a massive smear campaign being organised and funded by the people he is outing....In this day and age you REALLY should be more aware of the lies and methods used against people to keep them quiet or to distract PEOPLE LIKE YOU away from what is REALLY going on. You should start thinkig for yourself instead of swallowing what the establishment throws at you.

Secondly.. of all the shit you have seen and read about the details of what is being revealed by this peson.. ARE YOU REALLY SURE that we shouldn't know about this.. and if we do all just BURY OUR HEADS IN THE SAND who will stop things from getting worse, a TRUE FASCIST SOCIETY..because they are certainly not going to get any better.

As for the arguement 'but people are going to be harmed.. waaaa'.. really?.. then they shouldn't be involved.. THAT is what is causing 'harm' to come to them, not the revelations them self.

Assange is a BLOODY HERO (regardless of his current legal status) and Anonymous are the only ones left who have the balls and resources to stick up for our rights (granted them may have more chaotic motives.. but the result is the same.)

although i agree with u about wikileaks i dont know if anon is the best ally.

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon: So someone is in trouble because he told the truth? :S

There's a bit more to it than just that (at least surface wise), but thank you for putting it in those words. It's amazing what a perspective one can have when it's simplified like that.

I say protect the man. No one has been hurt by throwing a bit of transparency down on government acts, all it has done is embarrass diplomats and foreign dignitaries. SO? That's not treason. That's just an extension of "If you can't say anything nice, don't put it in a diplomatic cable that may come back and bite you in your priviledged ass!"

And when I say no one has been hurt by this, I mean secret operatives being exposed and the like. Public embarrassment is not physical harm. If our people in dangerous areas had actually been hurt due to the leaks, then it would be on every news channel, BUT THEY HAVEN'T. He's not outting the CIA department head in charge of preventing nukes getting into hostile countries here guys, ok, that was the Bush administration. All Assange did with this leak is let the world see what our diplomats really think of them.....fine by me.

Treason my ass, all it is is a distraction for the mass media. If we are on the kick of labeling people as dangerous terrorists and hunting them down for being hostile to America, how is that search for Osama doing? Nearly 10 years hasn't it been? Fucking bunch of losers.

qbanknight:

First off, the rape charges are trumped up. Second off, the Pentagon Papers are still classified. Even if he were to leak those, he'd still fall under the category of an information terrorist.

chaos order:

Fumbleumble:

qbanknight:

Assange is a BLOODY HERO (regardless of his current legal status) and Anonymous are the only ones left who have the balls and resources to stick up for our rights (granted them may have more chaotic motives.. but the result is the same.)

although i agree with u about wikileaks i dont know if anon is the best ally.

It's any port in a storm mate, no-one else is stepping up... I f people like Assange stop trying to fight the system, and groups like Anon stop being the chaotic little bleeders that they are.... then quite frankly we're all fucked.

Anon has also attacked wikileak hosting sites.
they arent really taking sides, they are screwing with everyone.

Fumbleumble:

qbanknight:

Assange is a BLOODY HERO, because he knew fine well he would be roasted,(regardless of his current legal status) and Anonymous are the only ones left who have the balls and resources to stick up for our rights (granted them may have more chaotic motives.. but the result is the same.)

There are some things that NEED to stay secret. At least for now. No justice is being done by leaking ongoing, or soon to be under way operations in the middle east, which could have cost a lot of lives. Also, a lot of this stuff with all of the nuclear bombs, we are all better off not knowing.

I'm 100 percent behind anonymous.

Anonymous aren't to blame for the attack on the swedish prosecutors office, the swedish site Flashback is to blame for that. You'd do everyone a favor by getting your facts straight before posting it as a news post.

Hmm, I think Assange will not like this.

why is it every time I get banned something interesting happen

Why is the world mad at Julian? The rape charges are clearly a smear campaign. Don't get mad at the person telling you who the man behind the curtain is, get mad at the man behind the curtain. Governments will use this as an excuse to put major sanctions on websites.

In other news, some nameless old guy in NJ has decided to throw his weight in behind President Obama. Things are really gonna change now.

Hopefully somehow this all leads to Putin bitchslapping /b, and curing them of their delusions of importance.

Unfortunately for Anonymous, this is WAY too big for them. Assange and WikiLeaks have pissed off powers beyond anyone's ability to hinder, and filled them with a terrible resolve. My response to Anonymous' posturing is "*deranged laughter* You can't stop this! And you should probably learn from Assange, who has been on the run for years, never staying anywhere for more than a day, using assumed names to avoid detection, and recently got picked up by Interpol, that you aren't truly safe either!"

Nevertheless, I do not like what this says about the U.S. government. WikiLeaks exists/existed as a way to ensure a modicum of transparency, in an age where even the most mundane documents are labeled "Top Secret" in order to keep anyone from figuring out what the fuck is going on in their own elected government! Seeing as there has been no documented cases of deaths resulting from leaked information from WikiLeaks, I can't help but think that that claim is a smokescreen for the true motive, which seems to be to keep the public in the dark about pretty much everything!

I don't mean to sound like a tinfoil-hat-wearing conspiracy theorist, but recent events has made a certain amount of paranoia about the U.S. gov't sound REALLY appealing.

Andy Chalk:
In reality, the internet is more like a box, and inside that box is a cat named Anonymous, existing in a quantum state of both great hero and wicked villain until an observer looks inside and is immediately driven insane by what he sees.

I love it, awesome line!

Blind Sight:
I fully support what Wikileaks does and it disgusts me that so many people in power are trying to bring them down. God forbid that governments have a bit of accountability for their actions. Not to sounded like a paranoid nut, but there is a lot of things going on that politicians simply don't want you to know, and I really think that stuff should be brought to light.

Folks are playing dirty against Wikileaks, so I have no problem with questionable methods at this point.

I fully agree. WikiLeaks was heralded when it was going after warlords and dodgy Russians, but it hangs out the West's dirty laundry and all of a sudden it's 'death to Assange. Bloody hypocracy, if you ask me. Deal with it, be accountable to your people, don't hide those things in the first place, be responsible and act in the best interests of your people, not some corporate interests and you'd not be worried about this happening! The way they're hounding Assange (and especially Sweden's weird demands made with regards to the hearing) makes me wonder how bad the stuff he's yet to release will be!

Whenever I visit anonymous, it's countless threads of trying to get doubles, hookup threads or just outright trolling (like trying to get the reader to kill themselves with chlorine gas). I'm amazed that they ever really get anything accomplished.

qbanknight:

Didn't happen.

Don't know where you're getting your information but what you've described is not what's going on. He first contacted the US department of defense and asked them to cooperate in ensuring that none of the information he released could harm any lives but their response was understandably: release nothing.

He now has a team of journalists checking the information to ensure it's not dangerous before releasing it. Assisting with this are a number of international, reputable news providers, most notably, the UK Guardian. Look up what's been released so far, nothing dangerous except to the careers of some politicians, particularly Hilary Clinton who broke international law by instructing diplomats to spy at the UN.

Now the "rape" charge is not a rape charge at all. It's a charge of sexual misconduct, apparently in Sweden this is a very loose definition, in this case he's being charged for sex without a condom, apparently, this is so bizarre I'm not sure of my facts.

Oh he was already cleared of this crime but they decided to re-open the case after the wikileaks controversy heated up.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/08/25/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-cleared-of-sex-charge-in-sweden/

This paragraph is particularly interesting:

If any of these bozos did twenty minutes of research, they might have found Ardin's blog- "my feminist reflections and comments on animal rights, swedish politics and cuba from a political scientist, christian left and long distance runner" - and read her post, with the help of a Scandinavian comrade or Google Translate, "Våldtäkt en del av mäns makt" - rape [is] a part of men's power. Or they would have seen this article from Ardin's days at Uppsala University, where she, in her role as some sort of equality watchdog, denounced the tradition of singing ribald student songs, which included "references to genitalia and serious sexual content," as "offensive and stereotypical." She is, in other words, rather sensitive on gender issues. Or this blog post on how one can exact "legal revenge" on men who have been "unfaithful." According to The Guardian, sources close to the investigation claim that she filed a complaint because Assange didn't wear a condom during sex. So the boring truth is that Assange didn't come up against a CIA conspiracy, but the rather broad Swedish conception of what constitutes a sexual crime.

From this article:
http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/25/the-boring-truth-about-those-j

If that's true, one of the women accusing him is clearly nuts.

Wicky_42:

Andy Chalk:
In reality, the internet is more like a box, and inside that box is a cat named Anonymous, existing in a quantum state of both great hero and wicked villain until an observer looks inside and is immediately driven insane by what he sees.

I love it, awesome line!

Except in this case, if the cat were allowed to name itself, it would be called Schrödonger.

I don't see how this is helpful. Ok, so Anon takes down a couple of sites for some time. All that says is that there are some people upset over Asssange's treatment. It's not really doing anything but causing a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things. Not only that, but usually this stuff is a small group out to make a name for themselves and not really caring either way.

On the Wikileaks thing, I think there are some good and bad aspects to it. There shouldn't be so much of this "veil of secrecy" attitude where everything is covered up and hidden from the general public. As long as the information isn't too sensitive or dangerous, then I don't see the huge problem here. I may be shortsighted about it, but that's just how I see it.

I'm amazed how the unabashed proliferation of a nation's sensitive info is no longer defined as 'treason'.

Hell yeah anon. You stick it too em good. This is a matter of free speech and justice. This is big. If Assange goes down for this then shits gonna get real. People will not be happy, inc me.

Actual:
Oh he was already cleared of this crime but they decided to re-open the case after the wikileaks controversy heated up.

Gee, I wonder why they would have done that...?

qbanknight:
I'm sorry but to hell with this rapist.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook