Is This the Leaked Ending of the Next StarCraft 2?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Is This the Leaked Ending of the Next StarCraft 2?

A work-in-progress video that's allegedly the big finish of Heart of the Swarm, the second chapter in Blizzard's StarCraft 2, is now making the rounds on the tubes.

Nobody knows if there's any truth to this one and I can't shed any light on the situation because I don't know a thing about StarCraft 2, but if it is true, it's a biggie. A video that purports to be grand finale of StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm got out into the wild today and while Blizzard has been moving to keep it off of sites like YouTube and Vimeo, we all know how that goes. This genie is out of the bottle.

The clip appears to be prototype animation with no lip-syncing and storyboard graphics inserted in a couple of spots, but according to Kotaku the voice acting is a "close match" for that in StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty. The site also noted that The Third Floor, whose watermark appears in the bottom right corner of the video, is a production company that lists Blizzard as a client and StarCraft 2 as one of its "projects in development." The timing is very interesting as well, following as closely as it does on the heels of an alleged leak of Blizzard's long-term release schedule and other sensitive data out of the company's office in China.

The fact that Blizzard is working so hard to keep the trailer offline also lends some credence to the theory that this is more than just a half-baked fan vid, although the studio would only say, as usual, that it "does not comment on rumors or speculation." It also means that the trailer attached to this post may be gone by the time you read it, although it should still be available at Kotaku. We'll do our best to keep it around for you.

Bear in mind that if it is the real ending to Heart of the Swarm, and assuming Blizzard doesn't change it entirely as a result of the leak, it is hugely spoilerrific. Don't watch it unless you're prepared to deal with that, and have some respect in the forums for those who may not want to share the foreknowledge.

I think Blizzard needs to hire a plumber since all their stuff is (allegedly) getting leaked like CRAZY! I mean first the whole Blizzard China leak and now this?

*EDIT* Cool video, though. Can't wait to see it in HD.

Holy crap, I refuse to watch this.

I wonder if this leak, not this one specifically, but the one about the release dates, will make anyone sort of question the legitimacy of Blizzard's "take as long as the game needs philosophy." I.e., is the game done sometime before then but they're just hyping it like mad, or do they actually keep the games on pretty tight dates? Don't know... perhaps it doesn't matter...

Truly Enjoyable. Honestly though, pretty much exactly what I assumed was going to happen. Still very cool though!

EDIT: Also, have you shown John yet? Or is he still drooling over Cataclysm?

Must.... not... watch.... oh gawd

Wow, big surprises in there. Don't really know what's going on with

though.

And for what it's worth, the music around 2:15 (maybe a little earlier) is music from the Transformers movie scores, I swear. Sounds very similar at the end as well, but a little different there.

Lack of lip sync reminds me of Perfect Dark.

AquaAscension:
Holy crap, I refuse to watch this.

I wonder if this leak, not this one specifically, but the one about the release dates, will make anyone sort of question the legitimacy of Blizzard's "take as long as the game needs philosophy." I.e., is the game done sometime before then but they're just hyping it like mad, or do they actually keep the games on pretty tight dates? Don't know... perhaps it doesn't matter...

same...i dont wanna see it lol

I watched it because I could never get into Starcraft, it's a cool game though and I won't say a thing.

Anyways I wonder how it got leaked and whoever leaked it should be ashamed of themselves lol.

I haven't played Starcraft or Starcraft 2, but I must say that in terms of a game ending in general that is pretty sun-shine and lollipops (as in cheesy happy) compared to the gritty RTS I have heard about.

Thank Tassadar I love spoilers.

I didn't believe it.
Then I believed it.
And the last 20 seconds made me not believe it out of sheer absurdity. Still, Metzen's one of those VA's you can recognize quickly. It sounded very close.

I would explain why, but I'll get a suspension for spoilers. I know it. Quick, someone tell me how to do spoiler text.

This is ain't the endin'.

If that is the ending that's a really huge twist, I mean if the zerg are making a good/neutral turn then who are going to be the bad guys in the 3rd part of the story? Please don't tell me they're going to introduce a random new bad guy and make it a setup for Starcraft 3.

It first, I was certain it was fake, but then after I had watched it, I knew it had to be real, because the writing was awful. Oh, God, it just spits in the face of all existing canon, exactly like Wings of Liberty did. This is exactly the kind of drivel that Metzen would write. Ugh.

Well, at least we know Blizzards actually working on the game. I'm looking at YOU Valve and Half Life 2 Episode 3

It's odd because, around 2:00 is a theme from "Transformers: The movie" it's called "Arrival to Earth", that might lend some evidence that it's fake, but who knows.

I don't buy it.

Spoiler Alert.

How can Kerrigan be back to her creepy Zerg self after the events of Wings of Liberty? Unless the three campaigns aren't meant to be told chronologically and are actually occurring simultaneously in the game world?

yeah its definitely the transformer music at 2.15

cavalierchen28:
I don't buy it.

Spoiler Alert.

How can Kerrigan be back to her creepy Zerg self after the events of Wings of Liberty? Unless the three campaigns aren't meant to be told chronologically and are actually occurring simultaneously in the game world?

i think kerrigan will transform back into a more zerg-like appearance(she still had the hair-tentacle things on her head at the end of wind of liberty), this is supposed to be the unique gameplay element in Heart of the Swarm.
but if this really is the end i am slightly confused of whom the zerg are free: just control by humans or also by the Hybrids/dark voice. because is they area truly free then the Hybrids would have a lot less bite and the 3rd part would basically just be a like handing a very large broom to zeratul and saying "clean this galaxy up, would you kindly?"

btw i totally expected to her to say . THIS IS SPARTA

Pretty well done for a hobby project :)

Don't buy it either.

Blizzard rarely does a scene like this with CGI, hell, I never remember them doing something similar.

cavalierchen28:
I don't buy it.

Spoiler Alert.

It is chronological, as far as I know. But, at the end she still had that weird hair, so she probably could've been turned back.

nice to know blizz is as original as ever >.>
such a silly ending

I think its fake because of the TRANSFORMERS MUSIC IN THE BACKGROUND!!!
Think, why would Blizzard put the Transformers BGM in a clip? Even one as unrefined as this...sorry internet, but I swear that this isnt real.

What the heck is wrong with Blizzard recently?
So many leaks.

I mean Blizzard used to have a near leak free history. Starcraft 2 was kept completey in secert for 3 years, before they announced it. I remember lot of interveiw asking Blizzard how did they kept it quiet for so long, and there is even a Penny acrade comic on it.

Rednog:
If that is the ending that's a really huge twist, I mean if the zerg are making a good/neutral turn then who are going to be the bad guys in the 3rd part of the story? Please don't tell me they're going to introduce a random new bad guy and make it a setup for Starcraft 3.

Did you play warcraft before?
Orc were the "bad guys" in Warcraft 1, 2.
and then in Warcraft 3 we found that we "misunderstood" them...
Exact same thing happened...

Konaerix:
I think its fake because of the TRANSFORMERS MUSIC IN THE BACKGROUND!!!
Think, why would Blizzard put the Transformers BGM in a clip? Even one as unrefined as this...sorry internet, but I swear that this isnt real.

Maybe video production companies (and their customers) like to have a taste of the finished product early on. And maybe early on they don't already have all the modeling, animation and texturing done (or else it wouldn't be early in the project, they'd be pretty much done) so they use placeholders (like, say, concept art).
What's another thing that can't already be finished and would call for placeholders?
The soundtrack.

I'm not saying I'm absolutely convinced it's real, but if it's fake, it's not because a pre-production cinematic is using a placeholder soundtrack.

Hm. Either we've got a few really good soundalikes and few bored college kids, or some disgruntled animator having a last hurrah. Either way, it's a dissapointing conclusion.

cavalierchen28:
I don't buy it.

Spoiler Alert.

It might be placeholders.
Just like the music.
It is pretty high quality, just like what you would expect from Blizzard. The animation, the voice acting, the new models, all of them are pretty good for a rough work.
Even if it is a leak that doesn't means it will be seen in the final game, ton of the work didn't make it into Wing of liberty too. They might just be testing out some idea, however the amount of work went into the animation makes me doubt it a little.
By the way, this look very alike the other rough work that didn't made into the game showed at Blizzcon.
I'm going with "it is a leak".

Exort:
So many leaks.

I mean Blizzard used to have a near leak free history. Starcraft 2 was kept completey in secert for 3 years, before they announced it. I remember lot of interveiw asking Blizzard how did they kept it quiet for so long, and there is even a Penny acrade comic on it.

Could you read through your post before confirming it, in the future?

Hmmm, it seems a lot like Warcraft III with the Orcs being the good guys.

I hope that wasn't the ending, because it honestly wasn't very good...

No. Just no. Please don't be the ending.
I can't decide if that is real or fake.

It was as good as the ending to WoL. That means it was pretty awful. I just didn't enjoy the ending to WoL. After enjoying the entire game, the ending made me not even want to play the next two parts.

Rednog:

Can you say...."Xelnaga"???

Newfags be holdin' Blizz back.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. I don't care if it's a leaked vid or not, it makes no sense WHY they would be leaking shit in the first place. They have never once leaked anything.

Also:

Ohhhh, I get it now! Blizzard needs to set up all three races as "not chaotic evil" so that they can make World of Starcraft!

Jaranja:

Exort:
So many leaks.

Could you read through your post before confirming it, in the future?

Hmmm, it seems a lot like Warcraft III with the Orcs being the good guys.

Im not going to post the interview since it is too hard to find them (simply too many interview to search through).
The penny arcade comic:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/5/23/

Orc was enslaved by demons in Warcraft 1 and 2.
I didn't say Orc is the good guy, Im saying they aren't the bad guys.
Would you say Thrall is a bad guy?
Ok, maybe Hellscream is still a bad guy at some point in Warcraft 3 before he redeem himself but he was under demonic influence.
Just like what happened too the Zerg.
Some guy(Dark Voice/ Demons) controls Zerg/ Orcs and got misunderstood by Protoss, Terran/ Human. Later Protoss, Terran/ Some human found out that Zerg/ Orc didn't do those bad things by their will.
By the way, in outland before the demon controled Orcs, they were peaceful with the draenei for over 5000 years. Orc are often discribe as "noble", "honourable" in the novels and pretty much everywhere after Warcraft 3. And "noble" doesn't sound evil to me at all.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Orc
"To their enemies, they are brutal and fearsome opponents, without parallel in their ferocity and cunning. To their allies, they are noble and honorable, following the traditions of a rediscovered past."
-Introduction

Edit: Found one interview: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18925251/ns/technology_and_science-games/
"How'd you manage to keep it secret for so long?

Well, Penny Arcade figured it out!

We keep games under code names and we teach developers to refer to games by their code name. And we're just really careful about talking about the game internally. We don't bring external folks through unannounced product areas. But I think even I'm surprised that we were able to keep it under wraps all the way to the end."

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here