Wikileaks Exposes North Korean Dictator's Son as Gaming Nerd

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Wikileaks Exposes North Korean Dictator's Son as Gaming Nerd

The cables recently made available on Wikileaks prove that videogames may have a bigger effect on foreign relations than previously believed.

The first connection between the massive Wikileaks cable scandal and the videogame industry has been revealed at last. Foreign relations with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il are always unpredictable, but according to a Wikileaked cable he may the last in his family line to run the country, and videogames could be the reason why.

Part of the September 2008 cable, sent from the U.S. consulate in Shanghai, discusses the possible future of the North Korean regime and who might succeed Jong-il. The consensus at the time was that none of his three sons would be up to the task. One was ruled out for being a "playboy," another was too young, and a third spent too much time killing virtual goblins.

The cable reads: "None of KJI's three sons is likely to be tapped to succeed him. xxxxx considers the two youngest sons, Kim Jong-chol and Kim Jong-un, far too inexperienced and incapable of effective governance. xxxxx, observing that KJI's oldest son, Kim Jong-nam, is 'too much of a playboy,' Kim Jong-chol is 'more interested in videogames' than governing, and Kim Jong-un is simply too young."

This could be the most ignorant cable reveal yet. Doesn't the U.S. government know that videogames are a perfect way to prepare for being a dictator? Hasn't anybody in Shanghai ever played Tropico or Civilization?

The cable goes on to surmise that the military would takeover for Jong-il, though Jong-il himself has promoted Jong-un as North Korea's next dictator. If you ask me, the true successor will actually be the videogame-obsessed Johg-chol, and he's being groomed through the best method possible.

Source: Wikileaks, via Kotaku

Wonder if he'll like Homefront? See if gaming comes first.

This cable is entirely inaccurate. Everybody knows there are absolutely no requirements necessary for running North Korea.

Tropico is a dictator training program.

BAN THIS FILTH!

If the two Koreas want to battle it out to see which one's better, don't drag all of us into it... just duke it out in Starcraft!

If the little dude can avoid the pitfalls of the average evil dictator,maybe something good might come out of it.

Is it wrong of me to find North Korea absolutely hilarious? It's like the leader has to have histrionic personality disorder before being allowed to rule his little shithole of a country...

Ha! I thought so!

Or at least a big sports fan.

I think I'd be more interested in video games than ruling the country too.

Twad:
If the little dude can avoid the pitfalls of the average evil dictator,maybe something good might come out of it.

Going by what we've seen of him, he would most likely be the best option, given his father doesnt really like him, wheras the other two are being raised by daddy to be dictator. Plus any pictures I've seen of the little guy, he actually seems well....happy and jolly.

$5 says the media spins this story by saying dictators prefer games, so games are bad.

I'm guessing his WoW characer was ganked by a Rogue from S.Korea the day before the artillery strikes... :p

Oh my god, it makes perfect sense!

Don't you see? Kim Jong-chol is preparing a secret North Korean Starcraft team that will trash the living bejesus out of the South Korean ones! The proof is right here for all to see!!

But they don't answer the important question of which games!

I love how 90% of Wikileaks "reveals" is the kind of information that a casual political observer like myself and most other politcally interested here on The Escapist already know...

Gethsemani:
I love how 90% of Wikileaks "reveals" is the kind of information that a casual political observer like myself and most other politcally interested here on The Escapist already know...

I can assure you, common knowledge isn't as common. Most people genuinely see these as "reveals." Whereas only a few see them and go through vindication or just outright denial.

thethingthatlurks:
Is it wrong of me to find North Korea absolutely hilarious? It's like the leader has to have histrionic personality disorder before being allowed to rule his little shithole of a country...

North Korea has hundreds of conventional artillery pieces pointed at Seoul, a city with a population in the millions. Seoul can be pounded into gravel at any time with no warning and no way to stop them.

Just regular people. You know, school teachers, store managers, factory workers, grumpy teenagers, old people. Don't even give a shit about N. Korea, just want to go about doing regular people things.

Hilarious.

As long as he doesn't play Evil Genius, simcity societies, and stronghold, his people won't suffer as much as now...

So, if the Kim Jong-blah family is removed from power and a new emperor arises, giving hope, peace and happiness to the North Koreans, then we'll have to thank the video games?

Irridium:
$5 says the media spins this story by saying dictators prefer games, so games are bad.

I doubt it. The media aren't touching the Wikileaks leak contents with a twenty foot pole so long as the US government is having its hissy fit.

So, video games do make kids grow up to be power hungry dictators! AH HA!

chemicalreaper:
If the two Koreas want to battle it out to see which one's better, don't drag all of us into it... just duke it out in Starcraft!

If South Korea wins I'll be hiding in my fallout shelter

Wrong as usual, Tom. He is groomign Jon-un to be his successor.

I met the dude on xbox live the other day, super nice guy!

I can see two directions to this, the simcity and civilization route, or the fallout and modern warfare route.

Seriously? They think he wouldn't be a good dictator? Koreans could just settle all their disputes with Starcraft now, leaders going head to head.

And not to mention quite a few games teaching tactics, how to not get people pissed at you, and everything else a dictator would ever need to know.

Tim Latshaw:
This cable is entirely inaccurate. Everybody knows there are absolutely no requirements necessary for running North Korea.

This just made my day.

Who wants to govern a financially and morally bankrupt country anyways when you can perform Raids in Azeroth?

Also, what are the exact "requirements" to govern North Korea anyways?

Nuclear Launch Detected.

So the first gamer we could have as a world leader would be a brutal dictator?

Let's all hope Johg-chol doesn't decide to pick up a copy of homefront.

Tropico 3 instantly came into mind. I don't think he would be that good in Civilization (V) though.

Brian Hendershot:
Let's all hope Johg-chol doesn't decide to pick up a copy of homefront.

Kek! I am sure it'll be his favourite game soon enough, though it'd have to include the option of fighting for N. Korea too. But good catch.

He already has the tactics down...

Think about having an army behind him. *shudder*

.....so i may have played him in Armored Core or Starcraft?
Huh.
Lets just hope he doesn't have X-box live, it may actually motivate him to take up arms.

I saw on the BBC once, that one of the "Evil step-brothers" (hehe) was infamously quoted for saying that he "didn't agree with his country's Hereditary Rule system. he wasn't against his family, but he didn't support the system", or something like that? Why do i have a feeling that it's THAT guy, because he's a gamer; and I'm prejudiced. :)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here