Ancient Greek Computer Recreated in Lego

Ancient Greek Computer Recreated in Lego

An Apple engineer has recreated the Antikythera Mechanism, an ancient Greek computer built to predict astronomical events, entirely out of Lego.

The gear-driven Antikythera Mechanism is thought to have been built around 150 to 100 BC. It was discovered in late 1900 amongst a shipwreck off the Greek island of Antikythera and was originally thought to be some form of clock, and although its true purpose has since been divined, research on the device is still ongoing. It is the only machine of its kind that has ever been discovered.

And while experts from around the world study this "analog computer" at its home in the National Archaeological Museum in Athens, the rest of the world can now come to appreciate its intricate beauty a little more thanks to the efforts of Andrew Carol, an Apple software engineer who recreated the device out of Lego. 1500 pieces of Lego Technic, to be specific, assembled into four interlocking gearboxes that perform a precise series of calculations to predict solar eclipses.

There's no substitute for the real deal, especially when the real deal is two thousand years old, but this is an amazing, almost magical piece of work in its own right. Is there anything Lego can't do?

Source: Engadget

I hope they make an instruction manual for making one. That would be AWSUM!

Lego can't solve world hunger...

At least until I finish the blueprints.

That's cool. And even more cooler that the ancient Greeks knew how to make such a thing.
It looks quite complicated, too...but still, I'd love to build that (with proper instructions, of course)

That is really impressive. I would totally do that if I had the means. But I do feel the need to add this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8&feature=related

Is there anything Lego can't do?

No.

I really don't think it is.

1st arsenic based life and now THIS!!! Theres an abundance of awesome sciency things recently and I love it

tologna:

Yes please!!!

this video is for all the people who think legos are just a kids toy
they are so much more

tologna:
I hope they make an instruction manual for making one.

As far as I know there isn't one, the guy worked from his head.

Awesome to see this on The Escapists. One of my professors worked on the video (not the model or the process of recreation, just the creation of the video).

So. Who is working on a Lego Hadron Collider (or Lego Hamster Collider if you prefer)?

Thats... Really... Cool.

I love inventors who make crazy things with legos.

Coming soon: LEGO Farms.

That was pretty cool but can you build one in Minecraft?

But seriously, these types of things make the little submarines and spacecrafts I built as a kid feel pretty pedestrian in hindsight. Can't wait for my son to be old enough for legos. Then I can "help" him build some pretty cool stuff. And by "help", I mean build it for him. I predict my wife will need to have the sharing talk with one of us.

Amazing -- really, really cool. Reminds me of this one SyFy movie on the mechanism; I just facepalmed through the whole thing because of how stupid it was. But, that movie also had the pyramids open up and turn into volcanoes....

I wish I had the mechanical knack for something like this.

Very impressive. I can't get enough of stuff like this

Stuff like this fascinates me. I love seeing it.

Now we just need to build the Lego cold fusion reactor and we're golden

This is probably the most amazing thing I've seen all year. How is this not all over the news???

This just makes me regret the fact that I lost my only Lego set even more. =(

Amazing work. I wish I had the technical skill to construct something like that.

I like the comment on youtube

"waits for minecraft equivalent"

This is the most awesome (well one of them) things i've ever seen... built out of legos, that works and does something.

Proof for everyone that legos arent children's play toys.

When are they going to do it in Minecraft?

I love stuff like this. The Lego is quite a clever piece of gearwork, and the original Antikythera Mechanism is a masterwork of engineering fully two millennia ahead of its time. Its relatives (there were other similar devices mentioned in historical texts, the ruined Mechanism is all that's left) as well; children of genius created by the same men who first sorted out some of the most fundamental mathematical concepts we still use today.

Anacortian:
When are they going to do it in Minecraft?

Can't - Notch took gears out.:)

KefkaCultist:
1st arsenic based life and now THIS!!! Theres an abundance of awesome sciency things recently and I love it

tologna:

Yes please!!!

you can use it to prop up your table, or fixing a light bulb.
this is like one of those things you hear an evil genius would do as a child

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here