Journey Trailer Brings Loneliness to Art Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Journey Trailer Brings Loneliness to Art Games

The first trailer for Thatgamecompany's Journey might bring a tear to your eye.

The next title to come out of FlOw and Flower studio Thatgamecompany will be Journey for the PlayStation Network, another game deemed somewhat of an "experiment." Journey's first trailer has been released and is so lonely it might make you want to call a friend or loved one.

The game is absolutely gorgeous, and will likely be added to the pantheon of titles used in the "games as art" argument. Journey's gameplay in general is still being kept under wraps, but we do know that it has a big component of exploration. Players will be moving through sand dunes, snowy mountains, and other areas as their robes flow in the wind, searching for... something. The trailer does show off another living, or at least presumably living, snake-like golem creature, so these lands may be populated by outlandish creatures too.

This trailer might give you the idea that Journey is all about searching through a mysterious land by your lonesome, but it actually does have an interesting multiplayer component. While Journeying, those online may come across other human players on the way, but they can only be communicated with through primal means and not actual language. Whether you choose to hang beside these players or leave them in your dust is up to you.

The idea is to create an emergent, emotional mechanic that sees the game's "powerless" players trying to work together to create unique gameplay situations, or remaining aloof and finding out what can happen solo. I know all we've seen so far is Journey's trailer and some screenshots, but it's truly reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus, which also imparted an engaging feeling of loneliness. Journey appears to be similar to the Team Ico game, but might be a look at what Colossus would be like if you randomly came across other players in the search for its giant bosses.

Journey will be released sometime in 2011.

That sounds really, really cool. Gonna have to keep an eye on this one.

Meh,

I might be slightly impressed if it didn't seem that most "artsy" games all want to try and tackle the same sense of lonliness, detachment, despair, isolation and similar things. The problem is we've already had games like "Shadow Of The Colossus" and "Limbo", not to mention a mixed bag of horror games.

I mean wonderful, people can make depressing and surrealistic things with video gaming. Don't expect much more than a golfclap for that one in of itself now. If we want to see games taken more seriously as an artistic platform I think we need some versatility. Could someone make a game just as "artsy" that is cheerful and upbeat? Right now I think that would prove more than yet another adventure of Emo Mcangst.

Why do I have to wait for this game!

Wow... if it does the rest of the game the way it does the sound and art work I will be very impressed. I think I saw screen shots for this a while back and was like "WAAAAH! WHAT IS THIS LOVINESS FROM NO WHERE?"

For the first time in-amongst all the Big Releases and tremendous console wars, I really want a PS3. Purely to play THIS game.

Damn Microsoft.......

Any Ideas on a release date?

Wow, the music in the trailer was really atmospheric. But I didn't really get that strong lonely vibe, though.

While Journeying, those online may come across other human players on the way, but they can only be communicated with through primal means and not actual language.

This reminds me of ICO, and I really love the idea.

Just as long as we don't have to use the sixaxis to control the game, this should be really good.

Its kind of like Limbo, looks good if you are into that

I hope it has a stong ephasis on adveture ala Zelda, Okami and Shadow of the Colossus as i find that in many games the feeling of a 'journey' of aproprate scale is really lacking from gaming today. Im expecting beautyfully renedered artisic vistas.

I can't wait to see how Halo kids artistically incorporate teabagging into this.

I hope thatgamecompany has been listening to its fans and decided to make the game longer. It's not going to be much of a journey if its only 3 hours long like previous titles.

Flower is one of the games I like to point out when asked to show that games are art, so ill pretty much play anything they make.
Also ill be fine if they rename it to samurai jack the movie the game.

oooh, sounds pretty.

Not gonna buy a ps3 for it, but...

I at first thought that it was a remake of the awesome Journey game for the Atari 2600. You know, the one about the band, Journey.

"Don't stop...believin'! (hold on to that feeling....)"

Whoa.

That looked awesome. I am going to buy the hell out of this.

Oh. Wait. PS3 only.

Fuck.

Well, there goes my money. Good lord, I hate exclusives.

Not impressed. Hopefully a real (better) trailer will come out soon. Flow and Flower were fun, this might be too, but the trailer wasn't anything special.

I was hoping to cry too.

: (

Mmm-boy, that sure does look appetizin'!

The main character kinda looks like a small time girl, livin in a lonely world...,aye?

looks pretty cool, but i need to see more to start praising it.

What's all those games with that hype of the desert setting ?

It sounds cool. But it might fall pray to one of the biggest problems games do.

Being on a single console. Without the mixing and matching of ideas and concepts, games can just end out bland at time.

It looks really depressing. Do want. Can't have. No PS3. ;~;

I thought of a Jawa when I saw the person.
The trailer showed one hell of an example of how to build an atmosphere. But that PS3 spot at the end RUINED it.
That's an awesome soundtrack though. And the multiplayer seems intriguing.

"those online may come across other human players on the way, but they can only be communicated with through primal means and not actual language."

So... one teabag for yes, two teabags for no, and three teabags for 'wanna help me boost trophies'?

TaboriHK:
I can't wait to see how Halo kids artistically incorporate teabagging into this.

apparently, it's ps3 only

which only means

I fucking need a ps3

Ah, another one to put on the 'must have' list. This looks like it could be another bit of everything I liked about SotC. Need my loneliness fix...

Anyone else notice that she doesn't have feet?

This is one of those games I really really really wanna play but I am more than likely never going to...

How unfortuanate...

Since they announced it it's been my most anticipated game of next year. Not even Uncharted 3's offerings of Naughty Dog level sand effects can draw my interest away from this. Now we finally have a trailer and I just want it more. I love thatgamecompany but why must they make me wait?

Damn I absolutely cannot wait for this. I love Thatgamecompany and all they do

Therumancer:
Meh,

I might be slightly impressed if it didn't seem that most "artsy" games all want to try and tackle the same sense of lonliness, detachment, despair, isolation and similar things. The problem is we've already had games like "Shadow Of The Colossus" and "Limbo", not to mention a mixed bag of horror games.

I mean wonderful, people can make depressing and surrealistic things with video gaming. Don't expect much more than a golfclap for that one in of itself now. If we want to see games taken more seriously as an artistic platform I think we need some versatility. Could someone make a game just as "artsy" that is cheerful and upbeat? Right now I think that would prove more than yet another adventure of Emo Mcangst.

I can see your point (though flOwer isn't exactly "McAngsty" by any means, but that's not the point), though there's still room to grow. I think we're at a point right now where "artsy" games just have to be separated from the "fun" games to have any real merit, but they are by no means exclusive and they shouldn't be. Eventually I think developers will be skilled enough to mesh together more complex situations instead of having one supreme prevalent theme across the board.

That, and they're an indie company, so it's not like they have the budget.

OT: Despite all that, this still looks like a very interesting game. I loved flOwer, really got to me for whatever reason, and thatgamecompany is on my "List of Developers to Support" list, so I'll be getting it just to support the indies.

Awww, that gave me an art-gasm. Sooo pretty... damn my lack of a PS3 :(

You know what, after seeing this, I feel like singing "What's This?" from The Nightmare before Christmas. I mean, in an industry where you feel like very little is new or unique, seeing this just feels invigorating.

This game and the upcoming Team Ico games makes 2011 look like a bright year for my PS3.

Another reason why I need to get a ps3.

This sounds like MY kind of perfect game!

The art style also looks a hell of a lot like my own... check my avatar, look familiar to anything you just watched??

EDIT:

After watching the trailer again a few times, I am so fucking excited for this. Coupled with this and the re-mastering of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus I am seriously considering getting a PS3...

OH MY GOD I'M HAVING ORGASMS OF AESTHETIC MARVEL HERE!!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here