Mass Effect 3 Trailer Confirms Earth is Screwed

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Mass Effect 3 Trailer Confirms Earth is Screwed

BioWare's incessant teasing over the past month has been for Mass Effect 3, and thank heaven for that.

The recent BioWare teaser saga that began with a brief glimpse at a mysterious project that was to be revealed at the 2010 Spike TV Video Game Awards has led to the reveal of Mass Effect 3 instead of the longtime coming videogame adaptation of Space Jam that I thought it'd be, which is better, I guess. We all knew Mass Effect 3 was in development, but now we know it'll be released in the holiday season of 2011.

A trailer shown at the VGAs mostly explains all of BioWare's teasers, including the curious reference to the band that wrote London Calling. It turns out that all of the references were pointing toward a trailer that takes place in London itself, where the last bastion of Earth's defense forces, or at least one guy, may be holding out. Yeah, apparently Mass Effect's Reapers have come to Earth and killed off the world's forces and millions of people in just a week.

A soldier shown in a leaked image wasn't aiming to kill a woman and child, but to kill their attacker. The soldier saves the civilians and mentions that only Shepard can save Earth by "bringing help," but from who is unknown, because the planet is in terrible shape. Mass Effect is apparently getting darker than ever with its third entry.

Nothing is mentioned in the trailer about the rumored possibility of multiplayer, so this is still unconfirmed. We do know that Shepard has a big task ahead of him, as he'll likely need more than a few friends this time to take out the massive Reaper army.

As for that fish, I think BioWare was just being a jerk.

UPDATE: BioWare has confirmed Mass Effect 3 for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.

The funny thing about this trailer is that someone with no prior knowledge of the Mass Effect series would watch this and think that it's another grey futuristic shooter about Earth being taken over by aliens. I'm willing to bet that very little of the game will actually be set there, as the implications toward the end of the trailer are that Shepard will be off doing his own thing, possibly rallying an attack force Dragon Age-style or battling Reapers in other parts of the galaxy as well, since I highly doubt the Reapers are only attacking Earth.

But anyway, yeah, I don't think anyone on the face of the planet has ever been more excited for anything than I am for this game.

And so the epic space saga concludes next year...can't wait

So its gonna be like Resistance 1 but in the future? (cuz of the London setting)

This makes me so incredibly happy

I want Earth destroyed in the opening sequence, and then the rest of the game involves the survivors preparing the rest of the galaxy.

As long as they don't make us fight that thing from the end of 2001 again, I'm really looking forward to this one.

What did the sniper in the tower shoot again?

SkittlesKat:

Looks like a collector. Or maybe another indoctrinated victim?

OT: Is it me or does mr pommy there looks slightly like jason statham?

SkittlesKat:

Looked like a Husk to me.

@Topic

Oh wow, they're going to Earth. Big shocker, amirite?

Really, did anyone not see this coming?

...Is it Holiday 2011 yet?!

... I might be the happiest person alive.

And I'm calling it right now, that soldier will take over the Kaidan/Jacob role.

I'm very disappointed to see holidays 2011 as the release.

SkittlesKat:

Something... It was human-looking enough to maybe be a Husk, except for the lack of glowing...

Tom Goldman:

Looks like that fish...
Was a red herring.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

SilentHunter7:

Tom Goldman:

Looks like that fish...
Was a red herring.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ehhhh no

But this is exciting since the series is coming to PS3. (and is it just me or does the nararator sound like Soap......)

I guess that gentlemens between beth and bioware to not release rpgs in the same year is off should be interesting for rpg of the year come 2011 2012.

Flying-Emu:

I didn't. I was hoping they wouldn't be that cliche. Apparently I need to lower my expectations once again.

God I hope this trailer has little or nothing to do with how the game looks and plays...

I just used this same picture on the TES V announcment page, but it fits this just as well.

My reaction:

i would just like to point out.... ITS IN ENGLAND!!!! im so happy. please let some of the missions be with the future British army. like that guy

On the one hand, I am extremely excited for Mass Effect, and can barely with hold all of my excitement without shifting into all caps mode.

On the other hand, I'm not thrilled about the whole "Reapers Attacking Earth" plot for the game. The only way I would be okay with it is (I believe a poster or two mentioned it above) if the Reapers destroyed Earth in the opening sequence of the game, leaving it up to you to gather a team and rally the universe to stop the reapers once and for all.

WHY CAN'T IT BE THIS TIME NEXT YEAR YET :(

ME2 perfectly ended. It shouldn't continue because it's going to ruin the story... Well for me.

And now I gotta wait a whole frakin' year to enjoy the awesomeness? Damnit. Looks like next November is gonna be the month the Earth stood still between this and TES V.

Flying-Emu:

SkittlesKat:

Looked like a Husk to me.

@Topic

Oh wow, they're going to Earth. Big shocker, amirite?

Husks explode from sniper rounds.

The more I hear about this series, the less faith I have in Bioware. I'm sure Dragon Age 2 will also add to this.

So, a game everyone knew was going to come out was teased and held in extreme secrecy?

I'm ultimately dissapointed, BioWare.

The trailer's really cool, though.

The87Italians:
On the one hand, I am extremely excited for Mass Effect, and can barely with hold all of my excitement without shifting into all caps mode.

On the other hand, I'm not thrilled about the whole "Reapers Attacking Earth" plot for the game. The only way I would be okay with it is (I believe a poster or two mentioned it above) if the Reapers destroyed Earth in the opening sequence of the game, leaving it up to you to gather a team and rally the universe to stop the reapers once and for all.

If the trailer's footage is to be believed, a TON of reapers attacks Earth. It takes some pretty devastating weaponry to destroy just one, Joker got off a good shot because THAT particular Reaper was preoccupied with Sheperd and kinda got a huge mental kick to the teeth by losing. That many Reapers, I'd say Earth is definitely dog food. I swear there were subtle hints in the games that humanity would eventually end up like the quarians.

A few million in the first week?

Doesn't anyone else find that weird? It's a planet extermination, and all they could do in a week is a few million out of several billion?

Gotta love how everyone always complains that teaser trailers never ever ever.. ever show anything about the actual game (EVER!!!) and yet, apparently, this teaser trailer has suddenly revealed the entirety of ME3, including how it plays, in all of 30 seconds of pre-rendered footage.

Anyway, it sounds like a great setup to me. Yes, going to Earth is a little cliche but who knows how much time, if any, will actually be spent on Earth. Also, while taking the fight to Earth may not necessarily be as grand in scale as somehow showing the entire universe, it's certainly a very good way to immediately make the story very personal. Beyond that, I think it's way too early to start making any proclamations about what will and won't be in ME3, or what it will play like.

Oh man I just saw this, I am so very very pleased right now, add this with Elder Scrolls 5, I'm surprised I don't have a woody :P!

Holy Gods, I just creamed my pants! DO SO WANT.

Must prioritize. ME3 first (because it has an end). TES V second (because it will devour my entire life). God damn, I have never been this happy. Ever. ...ok maybe I have, but this is seriously an RPG fan's wet dream right here.

*begins foaming in the mouth.* Yeeeessss.... I don't care if Bioware was being a Jerk, i will forever love them either way. Though whats so special about humans?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here