Cataclysm Sets New Sales Record

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Cataclysm Sets New Sales Record

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm has set a new mark as the fastest-selling PC game of all time, and you'll never guess which game it beat.

In what will probably not be the most shocking news you read all day, Blizzard Entertainment announced that Cataclysm, the third expansion to the enduring hit MMO World of Warcraft, sold over 3.3 million copies in its four 24 hours of release to become the fastest-selling PC game of all time. Equally unsurprising is that the game it surpassed to become the new king of the hill was its direct predecessor, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, which moved more than 2.8 million copies in its first day.

Cataclysm enjoyed more than 10,000 midnight openings as part of its simultaneous worldwide release and roughly 15,000 gamers attended official launch events in the U.S., Canada, France, Germany, Russia, Taiwan and elsewhere. "We want to thank all of our new, existing, and returning players throughout the world for their incredible enthusiasm and support, and we look forward to hearing what they think about all the new content," said Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime, who described it as "our best expansion yet."

Cataclysm also easily bested the first-day sales of StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty, another Blizzard release, which topped one million copies within 24 hours of its launch in August and became the best-selling PC game of the year in a day.

So many records getting beaten so fast.

blizzard is just swimming in moey this year aren't they..

Plurralbles:
blizzard is just swimming in moey this year aren't they..

Good sir, you seem to imply they never did. ;)

OT: I'll have to get a copy myself (and a new account, no less). I've heard good things about the new content. We shall see...

All this to get the same worlds over again with lava... WoW really has a talent for destroying faith in humanity whenever it waxes.

Krythe:
All this to get the same worlds over again with lava... WoW really has a talent for destroying faith in humanity whenever it waxes.

If you think that's all it is, you haven't been doing your research. At this moment, Cataclysm is the best WoW has ever been.

Fun facts: Cataclysm broke the record set by Lich King, which broke the record set by Burning Crusade. Also, compare this to the current fastest-selling game of all time, CoD Black Ops, which sold 5.7 million copies in 24 hours on PC/360/PS3. Who says PC gaming is dead?

Krythe:

Have you even look at what Cataclysm is? Or did you just watch a trailer or two?

New quests, races, professions, mechanics, better instances, better gameplay, the implementation of lore through cutscenes, and incredible improvements to the immersion of the game in general.

Cata is the best expansion by far, you really should do your homework.

OT: Blizzard is disgustingly rich XD

Damn, that is impressive in so many ways. Without even thinking about video games, when was the last time that a new ANYTHING sold 3.3 million copies within the first 24 hours of its release?

Hmm...

Exactly how much money does Blizzard need?

Also will they be buying the moon soon?

Metal Brother:
Damn, that is impressive in so many ways. Without even thinking about video games, when was the last time that a new ANYTHING sold 3.3 million copies within the first 24 hours of its release?

Not to mention on a single platform. Somehow I have a hard time imagining a repeat of this anytime soon...

In other equally shocking news I hear the sun rose again today . . .

Lawnmooer:
Hmm...

Nah, that's up for Microsoft and Google.

And I'm surprised I'm saying this, but they deserve this record. Cataclysm COMPLETELY blows every other expansion out of the water. Everything is just so much more...streamlined and just better. Thank God they got rid of leveling up weapon's skills btw. -_-

Well i understand, when i was 14 i would beg my mom and dad for the new games when they came out and these kids are no different.

Personaly im glad blizzard is haveing as much sucsess as it is. Activision/Blizzard is putting out good games for people who want them. Obtaining the revenue they have- Activision/Blizzard have enoughf financial backing to experement with virtualy anything they want to create, while keeping their popular series afloat and indeed flourishing for the loyal consumers, with the occasional meddleing from Activision of course. Personaly i am looking forword to the future of what this group can acomplish, its just a shame it will take a great deal of time, polish, elbow grease and elbow grease cleaner untill the future comes.

Blizzard just keeps smashing records...

Stabby Joe:

Just a sign that the gaming industry is growing.

It's really not surprising, anyone could have guessed that the next expansion would sell this well a year ago.

well I sure it sold well but its weird how many collectors editions I see sitting around, as far as I know those vanished very quickly for all the other expansions

"These are World of Warcraft Lights"

John Funk:

Krythe:

If you think that's all it is, you haven't been doing your research. At this moment, Cataclysm is the best WoW has ever been.

Fun facts: Cataclysm broke the record set by Lich King, which broke the record set by Burning Crusade. Also, compare this to the current fastest-selling game of all time, CoD Black Ops, which sold 5.7 million copies in 24 hours on PC/360/PS3. Who says PC gaming is dead?

I never will. From what I have seen of WoW thus far it is well worth the investment. I aims to get the expansion soon myself as goblins are really looking to be a fun race to play.

ionveau:
Well i understand, when i was 14 i would beg my mom and dad for the new games when they came out and these kids are no different.

Haha, you are really just the cutest determined little troll, aren't you? :) It's okay, when you grow up you'll realize that hating things just because they're popular doesn't actually make you look cool.

SomethingAmazing:

Stabby Joe:

No, it means that people don't like new or interesting, they want the same old thing they already paid for, but being marketed as new and exciting.

Lawnmooer:
Hmm...

Not only are they already buying it, they intend to carve their logo on in such that it can be seen on earth, and they also intend to exile anyone who doesn't play wow from the earth to work on this project.

:P

Abedeus:

No, it means that people don't like new or interesting, they want the same old thing they already paid for, but being marketed as new and exciting.

Except that Cataclysm is actually new and exciting. Especially the revamped old zones.

12 million players and 3 million sales. Thought it would be more

Abedeus:

SomethingAmazing:

Stabby Joe:

Well, they do. You'd be stupid to think otherwise. Humans value reliability above basically anything else.

Why would you even make that point?

Seriously the only thing that will come close to this record is going to be the next wow Expansion.

For years now Blizzard has been triumphing their own records as far as these sales go.

Wait the China server (5.5 million players) have not up date to Cata yet. That means the 3.3 million sales is only in EU/US/KR/TW servers which have only a total of 6.5 million players...

What if China launch Cata at the same time? Wouldn't that beat Black ops in terms of unit solds?
If same % of China player buy the game on the first day (which is more than possible, China always has been big on WoW). Then that would be 6.1 million sold in 24 hours, while Black Ops sold 5.6 million in 24 hours.

WoW China website: http://www.warcraftchina.com/index.html <-- still Warth of the lich King.

From what I have seen of WoW thus far it is well worth the investment. I aims to get the expansion soon myself as goblins are really looking to be a fun race to play.[/quote]

Do it there racial is op. But i will forever be undead <3

As for cata breaking records. AAAAAHHHHH DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. *coughs* ahem

Thats just the people who bought it at the store there not inclduing the preorders bought through battlenet.

Danzaivar:
12 million players and 3 million sales. Thought it would be more

Abedeus:

SomethingAmazing:

Well, they do. You'd be stupid to think otherwise. Humans value reliability above basically anything else.

Why would you even make that point?

Yeah, your avater does prove your point.

The China server have not update to Cata yet. They make up 5.5 million players. So 3.3 million out of 6.5 million seems quite reasonable.

I think its a safe bet to say that the 4th expansion will drop like 3,7 mil copies in 24 hours :D

Does this surprise anyone? I'd be saddened by the news, but I really expected it.

Just as the news post says, unsuprising: Blizzard has become the top mentioned gaming developers, and World of Warcraft is their most successful title.

I vote expansion four will beat Cataclysm.

Lawnmooer:
Hmm...

Well. You know about the Man in the Moon, right?

I hear that by this time next year, we'll be calling it the Orc in the Moon.

Blizzard will be buying the world soon, I presume? Do all their employees get handed a suitcase full of money upon employment?

OT: I'm not that surprised. I've only been playing since October, but the game is well worth the investment.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here