Piracy Critic Admits to Huge Pirated Music Collection

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Piracy Critic Admits to Huge Pirated Music Collection

Award-winning Norwegian author Anne B. Ragde found her stance against the evils of eBook piracy undermined just a wee little bit when her son revealed that she has more 1800 illegally downloaded songs stored on her iPod.

Anne B. Ragde has done pretty well for herself. She's written several successful novels, won Norway's Brage Prize for children's literature, had her work translated into multiple languages and even made into a popular television series. So it's not too surprising that she's no fan of eBook piracy, as it has a direct impact on her livelihood. To that end, she wouldn't allow her latest novel to be released as an audiobook or to be translated into Russian and Chinese.

"Piracy scares the hell out of me. I do not know what to say. I lose sleep at night over it," she said in an interview with the Norwegian newspaper Dagens Næringsliv. "I have figured out that I've lost half a million kroner ($72,500) on piracy of my books, maybe more."

"I can not stand the thought of someone stealing something," she continued. "I look at Norwegian musicians who have to do live concerts. We have nothing to live on other than the physical product."

Yet for some reason, Ragde had no problem with admitting that she purchases counterfeit handbags. The reason? "I feel that the genuine Prada bags have such an inflated price," she said.

And then things got really ugly.

As she made a list of the many legitimate purchases she's made, presumably to defend her overall pattern of behavior, her son Jo decided to help out by reminding her about the iPod she apparently neglected to mention. "You have a pirated MP3 collection," he said. "We copied the first 1500 songs from one place and 300 from another."

"Yes," she admitted. "There were a lot of things on the iPod."

Professor Olav Torvund of the Center for Law at the University of Oslo said Ragde "made a fool of her herself" in the article and that there was only one way she could properly address the situation: buy all 1800 tracks she had downloaded, burn the bags and issue an apology. Instead, Ragde threw her son under the bus by blaming all the downloading on him.

"The stuff on my iPod is not representative of my relationship with the music industry and the products they produce," she said in follow-up comments. "I pay for my music." She also claimed that her iPod was actually in storage in her cottage but promised to delete all the music on it next time she's there.

Source: TorrentFreak

This is frikkin hi-larious!

Fucking hypocrisy. Makes me sick.

Do as I say, not as I do right enough.

Sigh... What a bitch... Her son did the right thing by telling the press that. If my mother was as much of a hypocrite as this lady is, I'd do the same thing.

Wow...
Well it's not suprising she'd be a hypacrit or throw someone else under the bush if that's her stance on the bag. Piracy is Piracy.

Shoe, meet the other foot.

more like shoe, meet mouth.

Mackheath:
Fucking hypocrisy. Makes me sick.

Do as I say, not as I do right enough.

Ditto, she should get in politics seems she is a born natural.

Oh that's well funny there son. Destroy your mums credibility and damage her career. Although I'm glad she was found out as a hypocrite that is no way for a son to act.

Little cunt.

Meh, it wouldn't be a problem if she'd admitted to it in the first place. What ruins it is her "anti-stealing" stance in the first place.

Hypocrite, just like the rest of the pirate brow-beaters.

As a Norwegian myself, I find this absolutely hilarious.

Ha! I say. Joke's on you. You've screwed up good this time.

Andy Chalk:
Instead, Ragde threw her son under the bus by blaming all the downloading on him.

Mother of the year!

On one hand: Yes, piracy is bad.

On the other hand: If you're known to stand against piracy, having that much pirated material is naturally gonna make you look bad.

On an unrelated note: Her son must seriously hate her. This is gonna make Christmas dinner a little awkward...

And this is why we can't have NICE THINGS!

Seriously though, part of the problem with discussing piracy in any venue, is this weird claim people make that 'they would never do it'. Time and time again we find that they DO do it. It's like trying to argue about sexuality and fetishes, when no one admits to having any.

Hahahaha but she feels like a top dickhead.

Ah I do find it funny when hypocrites are exposed. Sucks to be her I guess ;P

Andy Chalk:
"I can not stand the thought of someone stealing something," she continued. "I look at Norwegian musicians who have to do live concerts. We have nothing to live on other than the physical product."

Yet for some reason, Ragde had no problem with admitting that she purchases counterfeit handbags. The reason? "I feel that the genuine Prada bags have such an inflated price," she said.
As she made a list of the many legitimate purchases she's made, presumably to defend her overall pattern of behavior, her son Jo decided to help out by reminding her about the iPod she apparently neglected to mention. "You have a pirated MP3 collection," he said. "We copied the first 1500 songs from one place and 300 from another

Andy Chalk:
As she made a list of the many legitimate purchases she's made, presumably to defend her overall pattern of behavior, her son Jo decided to help out by reminding her about the iPod she apparently neglected to mention. "You have a pirated MP3 collection," he said. "We copied the first 1500 songs from one place and 300 from another."

hm.... There's alot of good choices, but lets go with this one today:

Seriously thats funny. I'm pretty sure that her right to criticize has been officially revoked.

Also:

Andy Chalk:
"Yes," she admitted. "There were a lot of things on the iPod."

Possibly the worst feasible defense besides, "thats not me" or "God told me too" I mean my god woman, you're an author. You could have said SOMETHING abit more eloquent then that.

*watches her credibility circle the drain before disappearing*

Whelp, that was entertaining!

*waits for lawsuits against her by the various copyright hounds*

Well I found this pretty funny. There is a reason I think piracy is here to stay; basically everyone does it. It's more or less just part of life now. Does that mean it's good? No, but arguing normative morality has never really helped anything.

Do you hate piracy?
*links to video that has a song in it, that is being sold*
You're now a hypocrite.

Rainboq:
*watches her credibility circle the drain before disappearing*

Whelp, that was entertaining!

*waits for lawsuits against her by the various copyright hounds*

Doubt that will happen, she admitted to no specific infringement, so no copyright holder can know without reasonable doubt that she infringed on their copyrights.

But I will say, the copyright brigade would LOVE to make an example of her. Everyday people who view the serial torrenters as filthy, goodfernothin thieves, but pirate every once in a while for convenience, would be scared shitless if she were tarred and feather. So yeah, maybe you're right.

Mr. Omega:
On one hand: Yes, piracy is bad.

On the other hand: If you're known to stand against piracy, having that much pirated material is naturally gonna make you look bad.

On an unrelated note: Her son must seriously hate her. This is gonna make Christmas dinner a little awkward...

If I had to guess, he probably snapped after all this time of her complaining about piracy.

OT: This, now this is hilarious. While I don't doubt her son had something to do with all that music, 1800 is a huge number and I doubt he did it all. Hell he probably showed his mom how to do it.

This comes on the heels of the story about the anti-gun senator who shot an intruder in his home recently. All people are hypocrites, it seems.

The mouth of the righteous equally guilty shall mediate judgement embarrassing hypocrisy.

Guess irony and satire isn't one of her literary forces.

Ahh, hypocrits. You make us all feel better about ourselves.

PayJ567:
Oh that's well funny there son. Destroy your mums credibility and damage her career. Although I'm glad she was found out as a hypocrite that is no way for a son to act.

Little cunt.

Her credibility was shot the moment she admitted about the knock-off handbags and lied about "Losing half a million kroner". Her son just pointed out that mommy shouldn't lie. Besides, I hardly think her career is damaged, she writes childrens books; kids don't pay attention to this crap.

Good on her son, he held his mother to the same morals that she probably held him to.

JaredXE:

PayJ567:

Little cunt.

Her credibility was shot the moment she admitted about the knock-off handbags and lied about "Losing a million kroner". Her son just pointed out that mommy shouldn't lie. Besides, I hardly think her career is damaged, she writes childrens books; kids don't pay attention to this crap.

Good on her son, he held his mother to the same morals that she probably held him to.

Well I disagree you just don't treat the women who raised you and paid for you since birth like this. Regardless of what it did the kid is a shit ungrateful spoilt brat he should be fucking spanked for eternity for this.

PayJ567:

Little cunt.

Sorry but no one is above the law, especially not the law of hypocrisy (hyperbole). I love some of my family but I'd have no qualms about throwing them under the bus if they did something stupidly hypocritical or illegal. Are you going to tell me I'm lacking in morals for doing the right thing?

She should run for government. She would fit right in!

PayJ567:

JaredXE:

PayJ567:

Little cunt.

Her credibility was shot the moment she admitted about the knock-off handbags and lied about "Losing a million kroner". Her son just pointed out that mommy shouldn't lie. Besides, I hardly think her career is damaged, she writes childrens books; kids don't pay attention to this crap.

Well I disagree you just don't treat the women who raised you and paid for you since birth like this. Regardless of what it did the kid is a shit ungrateful spoilt brat he should be fucking spanked for eternity for this.

Also, you owe nothing to your parents for raising you. They chose to have children and they have to take care of you. It is their job and responsibility. (Which should be obvious due to the fact it's illegal not to take care of your kids)

"I can not stand the thought of someone stealing something,"

Of mine.

"I have figured out that I've lost half a million kroner ($72,500) on piracy of my books, maybe more."

But stealing other peoples stuff is okay because it saves me money!

Her argument is so flawed and hypocritical its unbelievable. If she ever dares to open her mouth on the subject again then her son will have to take the next step up and slap her in the face in the middle of the interview.

HA! I knew it, just goes to show you, digital piracy is deeply sewn into modern society. Even the ones who speak against it are not immune. It's a fact of life, you canoot stop it.

Jiraiya72:

PayJ567:

Little cunt.

Sorry but no one is above the law, especially not the law of hypocrisy (hyperbole). I love some of my family but I'd have no qualms about throwing them under the bus if they did something stupidly hypocritical or illegal. Are you going to tell me I'm lacking in morals for doing the right thing?

No I'm saying you lack respect and you clearly don't deserve the family you have been given if you have no qualms about throwing your family under a bus.

Jiraiya72:

PayJ567:

JaredXE:

Also, you owe nothing to your parents for raising you. They chose to have children and they have to take care of you. It is their job and responsibility. (Which should be obvious due to the fact it's illegal not to take care of your kids)

Again all your showing me if you lack any respect for your parents which is incredibly wrong.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here