Journey's Multiplayer Designed "For Humans," Not Cursing Kids

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Journey's Multiplayer Designed "For Humans," Not Cursing Kids

Thatgamecompany hopes Journey's online mode will eliminate the problem of foul-mouthed 12-year-olds once and for all.

The reveal of Thatgamecompany's Journey trailer proved that it was gorgeous, but gameplay details are still somewhat sparse. According to creative director Jenova Chen, that's the whole point, but don't worry. He says the game is being designed "for humans," and it might even change your perception of playing games online.

In an interview with 1up, Chen lambasted the state of multiplayer in the videogame industry as overly complex. "When I think about online games, I'm thinking about latency, I'm thinking about creating a lobby, inviting a friend, waiting for them to confirm," he said. "Then start the game, create a password so other people can't enjoy, coordinating times so we can all play together. I think that's too much baggage."

"Why should a kid understand what a lobby is," he wonders. Another big problem Chen has with online gaming is the often unnatural interaction between players. He continues: "One thing about playing games online, the big problem I see today, is you run into a kid and he's saying dirty words ... and it's not pleasing ... There is this impression that random Internet play is kids with dirty words or nerdy guys drunk."

Chen says a more intriguing way to design a multiplayer game is not so players can be "Leroy Jenkins" or have a "different hat," but to try to change players' impressions of meeting other human beings on the internet. When Chen says Journey is designed "for humans," he means that it doesn't have an external interface if you want to experience its online features, and the online mode itself is more "like life."

In Journey, Chen reveals: "You might run into [another player] and really enjoy their company. And then you might break up with them. And maybe later you will rejoin again. Just like our life paths, we run into people. We have a boyfriend, girlfriend, it might work out. It might not. I think it is more like life."

When people meet new acquaintances, they usually don't curse them out and shoot them in the face, or let them onto their helicopter only to fly it into the side of a mountain. Chen's found that in Left 4 Dead people would often kill him for his medical pack, when the game is supposed to be about surviving together. Journey is a game that doesn't force companionship, so Chen believes it'll generate a "true connection." If you stay with another player, it really means something.

Journey doesn't have a release date yet, and is only planned as a downloadable title on the PlayStation Network. It'll be interesting to see the kind of online experience it can give us that might differ from what has been done before. I have a feeling that even in a game like Journey, someone will find a way to teabag someone else.

Source: 1up

I'm definitely gonna have to get a PS3 for this, it will be nice to find some nice, rational human beings on the console

I think this will turn out really well, hopefully adding to the list of "good games that aren't just killing things".

Hmm.
Sounds good in theory...

Until I see it an action, however, I'm skeptical.

I might get a PS3 eventually and if so then I'll try it out.

So children aren't people because their brains haven't had time to turn to mush and are evil for wanting to play games multiplayer?

Good luck with that, I think he's putting entirely too much trust in his potential audience.
You're always gonna find assholes who's soul motive in games is to grief other players, and in many games these types of people far outnumber the decent sensible type.

I'm sure someone will find a way to trip you and kick sand in your face.

I'm very much looking forward to this game though.

It sounds like RDR's online, but without the guns (and subsequently, the idiots). You join a random world with random people and you don't necessarily have to interact with them.

I'm sure they will still find a way to infest this game, just like all the others.

World peace is a nice concept too.

Unfortunately, humans are assholes by nature.

Aeshi:
So children aren't people because their brains haven't had time to turn to mush and are evil for wanting to play games multiplayer?

Nope... when he says 'kids' i'm pretty sure he's refering to the stereotypical swearing, angry, high-pitched 12-year-old incessantly screaming about other people's mom's and what he'd like to do to them. He's talking about these kids as "not pleasing." He's not talking about all children... or at least I bloody well hope not...
I find the stereotype displeasing as I'm a kid too, but you have to admit that sometimes the stereotype seems well founded.

Reminds me a little bit of how the interactions between players often were in Demon's Souls. Lacking the ability to directly communicate tended to make people a little bit more...polite. Even people that invaded my game would, if I didn't catch them by surprise, introduce themselves with a bow before readying their weapons. It was an interesting experience. All that it really lacked, for me, was the ability to easily play with specific friends when i wanted to. It sounds like Journey is capitalizing on a similar philosophy.

To quote the rules of the internet: The more beautiful something is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt it. Seriously, who honestly thinks that this won't get ruined in some way, shape or form?

I'm keeping my eye on this game. I really loved Flower and I'm interested in how Journey will work out.
Regarding the interactions, I kinda get what he's saying: You only have to interact with the people you like.

buy teh haloz:
To quote the rules of the internet: The more beautiful something is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt it. Seriously, who honestly thinks that this won't get ruined in some way, shape or form?

You know, that's really true, but I'm no good at it myself.
I once tried the free version of Minecraft an age back, and I went into a random room. The first thing I did was start breaking things and running around putting holes in the floor.
Then I got bored.
Then I saw the guys aroud me slowly, but surely, building a staircase. And a pyramid. And a garden.
So I helped.
It was much mroe rewarding. It was also a better spendature of my time.

I think that peer pressure works in good ways too. Maybe the "kids" will be a minority that will eventually try doing things a better way

as long as there's no voice comunication i'm fine with that.

like the saying says: "le silence est d'or, la parole est d'argent"

No chance of a 360 port then? Then again the whole "perfect multiplayer" this game's going for probably wouldn't last two seconds against the screeming hordes of 12 year olds on XBL XD

The art-style alone almost means an instant purchase for me. Can't we have it for the XBLA? Pretty please, I mean, I know some players will definitly find some ways to insult and harass other players but I want this game, damnit!

RollForInitiative:
Reminds me a little bit of how the interactions between players often were in Demon's Souls. Lacking the ability to directly communicate tended to make people a little bit more...polite. Even people that invaded my game would, if I didn't catch them by surprise, introduce themselves with a bow before readying their weapons. It was an interesting experience. All that it really lacked, for me, was the ability to easily play with specific friends when i wanted to. It sounds like Journey is capitalizing on a similar philosophy.

And it kind of sounds like it might have the same problem. My only complain with the MP in demon's souls was that you had to have a similar soul level, and then you had to be in an area where the person summoning you hadn't defeated the boss. Co-op mode in the game was awesome, as was PVP, but it could be a little irritating getting it to work right.

This game doesn't sound like you'll just be able to hang out with your friends if you want, you'll be just thrown randomly at a bunch of people and meet them occasionally. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

You know, I hear about this and I think about Guild Wars. Guild Wars has a heavily player moderated community. There's a feature to report people that are causing trouble, kinda like the escapist, those that are reported the mods look into. If they've broken a rule, are being offensive, whatever, then they get banned(in the most awesome way imaginable, I promise. Youtube "Guild wars, banned" and see what I mean).

It's not some bland, lifeless community, much of the conversation that goes on spans the gap from strict game related conversation to downright risque and no one has a problem. THis could work just as well.

My question is how many of the people he's worried about - the screaming kids, drunken idiots, etc. - will really want to buy a game that is about "walking about, meeting people, walking about with them and maybe going up a mountain in the desert"?
The people who rush out to buy a game like Journey will be the ones who know exactly what it is, know what thatgamecompany are trying to do, and are ready to experience what the game is offering.
Whenever I tried to describe Flower to someone who primarily just played games where they could shoot at something, they would laugh or say it's "gay", not go buy it. I'm not saying there's no potential for Journey to be ruined by players, but I'd say it's fairly safe, at least until it hits the special offers.

I like the idea but it has already been stated that someone will find a way to be an asshole.

Though i might get this when it comes out.

"for humans" is the perfect way to phrase that. Satisfying.

Certain things remove your humanity, as far as I'm concerned. being the stereotypical 13 year old xbox live bitch is one of them.

buy teh haloz:

Yes, but this game is under the radar of most jack asses that only find enjoyment in said destruction. It has potential to be good and its indy roots make it not a hot buy of parents getting their child what they want for Giftmas or birthdays.

It'll be more like life eh? People can be assholes in the real world too and I'm fairly certain that will appear here in the form of random punchings. Still, would be nice to have a asshole free online experience.....

KEM10:

buy teh haloz:

Yes, but this game is under the radar of most jack asses that only find enjoyment in said destruction. It has potential to be good and its indy roots make it not a hot buy of parents getting their child what they want for Giftmas or birthdays.

Plus they will probably be playing Black Ops still or whatver new generic shit shooter is out...

You have to pay for it and there's no voice chat - that should actually do pretty well to eliminate greifers. I actually forsee more of a problem with 'hardcore' players who don't indulge in any of the social aspects and just speedrun through all the puzzles.

Sounds like he's challenging the douchebags out there.

Don't do it. Don't challenge them.

I was totally expecting this to be called Flowerer

So they're just there, and that's about it.

I think it sounds nice, I've had a similar kind of experience in online games before.

Like that rare occasion in WoW when you meet someone on the opposite faction, alliance/horde, and they start helping you and you start helping back. You can't communicate with each other directly and you could break into combat at any moment but you don't, there's just a nice moment of mutuality. Then after the moment you probably never cross paths again.

I'm sorry, but no. If there's any actions between players in a game, they WILL be assholes whether you like it or not. That's just how it is. Unless the players can't interact at all, this man's words will fall flat on their face. That is 95% guaranteed.

About nine years ago, a friend of mine told me a story of how he was playing Diablo II online, with a ridiculously powerful character. It's been so long since I played that game I can't remember what I thought of as ridiculous, but he and I used to play on an internal network, and I had some pretty high level guys myself, so just imagine the highest level you can think of.

Anyway, he was playing online one night, and these two fairly low-to-mid (10th? 12th?) level guys jumped in, playing all innocent like they wanted the benefit of his wisdom and help gaining levels. Of course, about ten minutes in, they attacked him. He calmly sat back, watching them try to murder his guy, and occasionally paused to type in a calm "what are you doing?" These guys could not put a dent in him, but he told me they kept it up for over ten minutes. How stupid do you have to be to keep hitting a guy you can't put a dent in for ten minutes and still you won't give up?

So, of course, he finally got bored and flattened them.

Despite this story, he convinced me shortly thereafter to get online myself, and of course, it took all of ten minutes before somebody was trying to frag me. Over and over again. Funny for our internal network games of Duke Nukem, yes. Frag Nukem was fun. Not funny for all the effort of getting online back then on Blizzard's painfully slow servers.

I've never played online since. And I have no desire whatsoever to game with frag-happy thirteen-year-olds, and even more so disgusting I can't bear to think about it, thirty-five-year-olds who act like thirteen-year-olds. I love my consoles, but I actually get offended when they try to get online. Please, feel free to keep crapland all to yourselves.

Isn't the Brotherhood Multiplayer 12-year-old-moron proof? I haven't played it, but it looked like, you needed to be able to use more than just one brain cell to be able to play it at all.
Heck, Yahtzee liked it for it's intelligent design. so does it work as an idiot repellent?

OT:Very interesting opinion but i would personally have preferred....you know, hearing something ABOUT the game. I, like most people, think that it will be some sort of interesting, probably unique concept. awaiting further news.

For some reason, that picture reminds me of the Wild West scenery from the Toy Story films.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here