Corpse Bride Co-Director Making Oz "Dark, Slick, Sexy"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Corpse Bride Co-Director Making Oz "Dark, Slick, Sexy"

Oz Wars will remake The Wizard of Oz in distinctly grown-up stop-animation.

Vanguard Animation, the company that brought us Valiant, Happily N'Ever After, and Space Chimps, has just signed a director to their "CG/stop-motion hybrid" Wizard of Oz remake, Oz Wars. Mike Johnson, co-director of Corpse Bride, will helm the film, which Vanguard promises will be a "contemporary, freaky action-packed PG-13 audience pleaser."

Johnson has few directorial credits under his belt, but has been an animator on films such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, and the short The Devil Went Down to Georgia. His work on 2005's Corpse Bride was nominated for an Annie Award (given for excellence in animation).

Speaking about his vision for the film, Johnson said, "the Land of Oz will be re-imagined using stop-motion to create a world that's dark, slick, sexy, and dangerous. It's long been a goal of mine to create a hard-hitting, grown-up action film using stop-motion animation. Oz Wars is my opportunity to do that." The movie also promises warrior witches, monsters, and martial arts. So, not my grandmother's Wizard of Oz.

So it's basically going to be a Shrek version of The Wizard of Oz?

...I think I'm getting a migraine.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into another 9. Not that 9 was terrible, I just thought it could have done more.

Warrior Witches, Monsters and, Martial Arts eh? Sounds interesting, I'll keep my eye on this one.

Seeing as Happily N'ever After and Space Chimps were both shit, I'll take this with a grain of salt.

But still, Corpse Bride is great, and 9 was fun for what it was. And I will always support stop motion for being on of the most unique forms of animation out there.

Oh god. I can't even imagine.

So it's basically, Wicked, but with the main Oz story?

I'm for that.

Space Chimps eh?

You may recognise this.

Jesus fucking christ! Will this dark, gritty remake shit ever end? It was bad enough with just Tim Burton and retarded games.

Warriors and Monsters and Martial Arts, oh my!

Heh, this sounds fun to me. I've always been a fan of taking classic stuff and giving it a dark, twisted vibe. Maybe that's why I still support Tim Burton when plenty of people think he's past it by now. Ah well, I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this project and take a look when it comes out :D.

I'm actually gonna go see this. Of course not before I see "Suckerpunch" but going to give this one a chance.

A resounding "Ehhhhhhhhh..." on my end. Not that I didn't love Corpse Bride and its stop animation style, but I abhor anything having to do with "Oz".

All I read was suck, suck, disappointment. It's a shame there is not a lot of mainstream originality nowadays.

I am looking to put a team together to steal nuclear launch codes, and nuke Hollywood out of existence.

FUCK this shit.

No.
If you have to remake classic movies, you are obviously a talentless loser with no original ideas of your own. Fuck off, you degenerate git. Actually, just go kill yourself, because then you might actually have a chance of being remembered.

contemporary, freaky action-packed PG-13 audience pleaser.

a world that's dark, slick, sexy, and dangerous...PG-13 audience pleaser.

a hard-hitting, grown-up action film...PG-13 audience pleaser.

Besides, there already is a dark, freaky re-imagining of the wizard of Oz that has next to nothing to do with the original source material.

Aw this is just going to suck.
Can anyone else see this being destoryed in some attempt to make it speek too the 13-15 year old girl demographic? You know the ones who are starting to line up too see the new twilight movie even though its not out for a few months at least.
I don't have enough time to groan about this im going to bed.

Great; now I have this in mind when I think about this new Oz film: http://www.spawn.com/toys/media.aspx?product_id=1606&type=photo&file=monsters2_dorothy_photo_02_dp.jpg

Hurrah, it keeps getting worse.

Like I said when this was first announced, it was almost bound to happen sometime: think of any literary icon throughout history and it's sure to have an adaptation of some sort by now. Seeing it happen to the Wizard of Oz hurts so much not because it is just that dear to me (though I do like it), but rather it exists in the cultural mindset as one of the few more-or-less unblemished representations of the "good old days". I sure as heck didn't live through it, and neither did my parents, but we all grew up with the iconic, big-Hollywood, Technicolor imagery of the Wizard of Oz.

And now it's going to be a "contemporary, freaky action-packed PG-13 audience pleaser" that's "dark, slick, sexy, and dangerous". Just like everything else nowadays. Joy.

As long as it properly synchronizes with the Dark side of the Moon I'll be satisfied.

..I fail to see how this is somewhat "new and original" in any way, shape, or form.

The Wizard of Oz will never be "Slick and Sexy", no matter how much sexual innuendo and suggestive clothing they might put in it. The "Dark" part.. well, that's just a given, here.

Taking all bets guys, taking all bets. What's going to be worse this or the Spiderman Musical?

SpaceMedarotterX:
Taking all bets guys, taking all bets. What's going to be worse this or the Spiderman Musical?

Not to go further off-topic, but there is no bet here. Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark failed immediately at the subtitle, alone.

manythings:
Jesus fucking christ! Will this dark, gritty remake shit ever end? It was bad enough with just Tim Burton and retarded games.

Seeing as the Nolan films were "dark, gritty remakes" I think you need to reconsider your words >:(

Cousin_IT:

contemporary, freaky action-packed PG-13 audience pleaser.

a world that's dark, slick, sexy, and dangerous...PG-13 audience pleaser.

a hard-hitting, grown-up action film...PG-13 audience pleaser.

Besides, there already is a dark, freaky re-imagining of the wizard of Oz that has next to nothing to do with the original source material.

Or the Syfy (then still SciFi) mini-series with Zooey Deschanel, Tin Man.

It's actually one of the only Syfy anythings I actually like a lot.

Anyway, I seriously wish we could just convince them to get an original idea. Series are one thing, but constant remakes and re imaginings are just sad.
When we all want to remake things that don't need to be remade we get things like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. When we focus on new IPs we get things like Pan's Labyrinth.
Can you spot the difference?

Yes! The movie nobody asked for or needed.

I dunno. I mean, I'd watch it, but then, I like that sort of thing.

Until then, however, I guess I'll just have to stick with Tin Man and Wicked.

thethingthatlurks:
No.
If you have to remake classic movies, you are obviously a talentless loser with no original ideas of your own. Fuck off, you degenerate git. Actually, just go kill yourself, because then you might actually have a chance of being remembered.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'll volunteer for assisted suicide.

OT, I would say that nobody who makes this kind of shit should be allowed to use the words, "mature", "adult" or "grown-up" when referring to nudity, violence and "dark" re-imaginings of characters. Go on DeviantArt, search tin man, woodcutter, oz scarecrow, what-have-you and you'll find some kid who thinks he's some sort of super-original genius making dark versions of Oz characters. Now consider that a movie version of that got green-lit, and weep yourself to sleep.

Ooooo great another "stylized" piece of shit interpretation of classic entertainment. Of course one must attain a level of desensitivity towards the shitty remakes of everything nowadays or go mad.

Ahem.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Why is this happening? SEriously, will no portion of my childhood be left untainted?

I'd rather see the American Mcgee's Oz come out before this does. I doubt that the general population even knows that they're multiple Oz books and that they were of great political relevance when they first came out.

lovest harding:

Cousin_IT:

Or the Syfy (then still SciFi) mini-series with Zooey Deschanel, Tin Man.

It's actually one of the only Syfy anythings I actually like a lot.

Anyway, I seriously wish we could just convince them to get an original idea. Series are one thing, but constant remakes and re imaginings are just sad.
When we all want to remake things that don't need to be remade we get things like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. When we focus on new IPs we get things like Pan's Labyrinth.
Can you spot the difference?

Ninja's...Damn!

Tim Burtons alice in wonderland was not a gritty remake! It was a Sequel to the original by the way!

Elizabeth Grunewald:
Valiant, Happily N'Ever After, and Space Chimps,

...And now I've lost interest.

When they make "Monkeys in Space" utterly boring, I can't ever trust them again.

This headline takes on entirely different and terrifying connotations if you're thinking of the prison-based TV series that was on HBO.

While I'm all for a sexier Dorothy (and the witches), I'm getting weary of every remake/sequel needing to be "darker" which is just synonymous with "less fun".

Alright, Happily N'ever after, Space CHimps, and Valiant? This company can't do anything right.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here