Force Unleashed 2 DLC Features Disturbing Wookie Death

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Force Unleashed 2 DLC Features Disturbing Wookie Death

The invincible heroes of the Star Wars saga aren't so invincible in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2.

***Spoiler Alert***: This post and the accompanying video totally spoil Force Unleashed 2's Endor DLC.

In Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2's new Endor DLC, Starkiller has more than killing Ewoks on his mind. The recently released "what if" scenario also features the somewhat disturbing deaths of Star Wars characters that just aren't supposed to die.

The Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi would have gone much differently if Dark Side Starkiller were around. Footage of the Endor DLC shows Starkiller taking on a tag-team of Han Solo and Chewbacca. Solo is armed with a missile launcher, while Chewbacca pilots an AT-ST. Starkiller not only shoves his lightsaber into the faces of cute, little Ewoks during the battle, but roasts Chewbacca in the AT-ST's cockpit with his Force lightning.

Once he brings Chewbacca's health bar down to nothing, a QTE phase begins that will disturb any Star Wars fan. Starkiller pulls Chewbacca out of the cockpit, slaps him around, and actually makes Solo do the dirty deed of finishing the Wookie off. Once Chewbacca is out of the way, Solo meets his doom with a lightsaber through the heart.

In a later segment, Starkiller even takes out Leia. I like that LucasArts was willing to take such extreme measures with popular Star Wars characters, but these scenes are messed up. Watching Chewbacca die is like seeing an old friend and pet get killed at the same time.

Source: IGN

That's... dark. Really dark.

And I like that, you know. Yeah, that's exactly what they were going for and it works, really. It's supposed to be dark, it's supposed to be hard to watch for Star Wars fans.

It's pretty good.

Also,

Frankly I couldn't look past the obvious glitches, such as Chewbacca appearing outside the walker then reappearing in starkillers hands

That sounds so awesome! Still no inclination towards getting this game though

I second the glitches, that better not be a retail level trailer, it looks like a late gen PS2 game.

Quite funny seeing Chewbacca and Han Solo die like complete muppets though, very out of character.

My feelings were Ninja'd from across the world.

Yahtzee:

So I look forward to seeing how the fanboys justify The Force Unleashed II, because it is the most grossly offensive and mishandled application of intellectual property since the Schindler's List Easy-Bake Oven.

You do not kill the most favourite characters in a franchise unless it's plot driven, tearful, and canonical. If you're going to do a what-if situation (Something Star Wars has done for a while. Remember the Alternate Ending to Episode 3 in the Movie game anyone?) then you're standing on shaky ground, and Star Wars ground has been shaky since the Phantom Menace, so it was an earthquake by the time by the time Starkiller shown his face. Ground that Lucas Arts clearly thought that the best thing to do would be to drop the biggest, dirtiest and stupidest bomb right down on the ground.

Calumon: Jack, I wanna see! I heard Chewee! I like Chewee!

Does Harrison Ford know about this? Somebody should tell him. I wonder if he'd have a little party...

...Ok, now George is LITERALLY killing our childhood memories at this point :'(

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon: Jack, I wanna see! I heard Chewee! I like Chewee!

(Sniff) Trust me, you do NOT want to see what just happened.

JourneyThroughHell:
That's... dark. Really dark.

And I like that, you know. Yeah, that's exactly what they were going for and it works, really. It's supposed to be dark, it's supposed to be hard to watch for Star Wars fans.

It's pretty good.

Also,

New level of ridiculousness for this series.

Man, watching that made fell like getting kicked in the balls.

Part of me is like "No! This shouldn't be allowed to exist!" and the other half thinks " Thats so wrong, but I like it."

I can't watch this

Wow... I mean... I love the whole darkness of it all. Killing off two people that have meant so much to so many...

But... I think my thoughts are summed up above:

Jack and Calumon:
You do not kill the most favourite characters in a franchise unless it's plot driven, tearful, and canonical. If you're going to do a what-if situation (Something Star Wars has done for a while. Remember the Alternate Ending to Episode 3 in the Movie game anyone?) then you're standing on shaky ground, and Star Wars ground has been shaky since the Phantom Menace, so it was an earthquake by the time by the time Starkiller shown his face. Ground that Lucas Arts clearly thought that the best thing to do would be to drop the biggest, dirtiest and stupidest bomb right down on the ground.

Han shot first. I finally get it!
And so did Chewie.

Oh come on. This just shows how ridiculously overpowered Starkiller is.
He needs to be nerfed. :)

Holy fuck, was that depressing.

God, that looks satisfying.

Not G. Ivingname:

Lucas has nothing to do with the game, besides having his name on it.

Ok I guess him being shot by his best friend is bad, but when he threw him, did the AT thing really have to fall on his corpse? And what purpose does this scene serve? Its not canon so I guess LucasArts really is full of douchebags.

That's just sadistic.
I've just ignored everything about Starwars since the original trilogy because the makers of these things just can't stay away from the original story. But now, I'm just pissed off. That was pointless and horrible.
I've had a particular gripe with what the Force Unleashed does to the story, with how overpowered they make Starkiller and stuff like that. This is just pushing it though.

How stupid can this game be?
Apart from being awful to look at and playing it (7 mins of avoiding the same aoe attacks in a tiny valley?) I really want to know who was the idiot that thought that this is a good idea.
And this:

Jack and Calumon:
My feelings were Ninja'd from across the world.

Yahtzee:

So I look forward to seeing how the fanboys justify The Force Unleashed II, because it is the most grossly offensive and mishandled application of intellectual property since the Schindler's List Easy-Bake Oven.

Really, it's as ugly as unnecessary.

Oo, that felt so good watch. And the taste of star war nerds tears are so very, very sweet.

*chuckles* I bet they were thinking "How can we exploit the hatred all the canon-nerds of Star Wars have towards Starkiller into the DLCs? OH I KNOW! Let's have him jump the shark on every last goddamn major figure! That'll keep the hate machine going and give us free forum-rage induced advertisment!"

Still...for one who's divorced the Star Wars movies from the videogames quite thoroughly by now, I got little problem with this. But goddamit, you do NOT kill Ewoks! Those little dudes were cute back when I first saw Ep. 6 and they're cute now, no matter the toy-potential factor behind them. They just...they just work... :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That's really sad. I mean...why?! WHY?!

That was soul crushingly depressing.
It's just you never touch these guys, feel free to kill anyone else, but leave Han and Chewie out of it.
And this is coming from a guy who loved beating the piss out of Luke in the last game's DLC.

Hardcore_gamer:

Not G. Ivingname:

Lucas has nothing to do with the game, besides having his name on it.

Still, he had to approve of the game before it got made as I understand to put his name on it, and so it is the same difference.

Besides, who is writing these guy who writes the checks?

The year 2004 just called. It wants its graphics back.

Duffy13:

JourneyThroughHell:

Also,

what? how is that supposed to look, just? Splat? away Chewbacca?

I like the twist. It's original. Not sure I liked how Chewie died. I would have preferred if Starkiller did something really cool. But oh well.

wow...that's pretty perverse.

Granted Return of the Jedi would have been a much better movie if Han had died, but this is just.....wrong

So the basics is now not only are all our button mashing action games God of War now Starkiller is just going Kratos on the Starwars universe...

Very ummm original. It's almost like the people who made the DLC hated the first three movies characters... like really stayed awake nights wanting to see them die.

1) I cried. I cried so hard.

2) This could never happen, at least not in exactly this way. This "what if" confirms that in this parallel universe, Luke is dead or something like that. If this is true, the "what if" of the first game had to come true, meaning that Darth Vader is dead, meaning that 1) Darth Vader could not be giving Starkiller these commands and 2) the Starkiller Assassin would still be out there somewhere, eliminating the need for a Starkiller evil clone.

Can't Starkiller pull Star Destroyers out of the sky? Why did it take so long for him to take down an AT-ST?

This was... boring. I don't really mind seeing them killed, but Starkiller could be a bit more creative about it.
I mean, I loved the Hoth- and Tatooine parts in the first TFU, but there it was so much cooler.
Here it's just grab, stab, done.

Woah. Surprised at how seriously people have been taking all this asking whether it was handled properly? Jesus Christ guys. The reaction I've seen from the community so far is the only depressing thing. Nobody important has cared about starwars for 20+ years.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here