Pachter: GTA V Could Sell More Than Any Game Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pachter: GTA V Could Sell More Than Any Game Ever

Industry analyst Michael Pachter believes he knows when we'll see Grand Theft Auto V, and thinks it'll be the biggest game of all time.

Based on various factors, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter thinks that Grand Theft Auto V will be out in another two years at the very latest. He also expects that it'll be the "biggest and deepest" Grand Theft Auto title ever, leading to absolutely massive sales.

Commenting on Rockstar parent company Take-Two Interactive's positive financial results for 2010, Pachter said: "We fully expect the next installment of Grand Theft Auto to be released by Q4:12 at the latest, as the company's contracts with the three employees most instrumental in the game's development (Les Benzies, Sam and Dan Houser) expire in January 2012. In our view, management would have been irresponsible to enter into a contract with the three without some type of milestone for delivery of the game prior to expiration."

"Similarly, we think that the three employees have everything to gain in negotiating a new contract if they deliver another Grand Theft Auto game prior to contract expiration, and everything to lose if they cannot deliver a game by then," he added. "Their leverage with Take-Two is lessened without a game, and their ability to work for a competitor is similarly diminished."

Pachter is "highly confident" that Grand Theft Auto V is already deep into development based on the fact that Grand Theft Auto IV was ready to release in late 2007, but delayed to April 2008 due to development issues with the PlayStation 3. He called Benzies and both Housers "workaholics" that expect the same from the estimated 200 employees possibly working on Grand Theft Auto V, with only around a few dozen required to remain on Grand Theft Auto IV and its expansion packs after late 2007.

Pachter also said it's "unfathomable" to think that development on Grand Theft Auto V hasn't been underway for years already, and said: "Athough we expect the next game to be the biggest and deepest ever, we don't think it is likely that the team will take more than four years to deliver it." He's actually critical of Take-Two for diverting the attention of key Grand Theft Auto V employees on titles like L.A. Noire that have been regularly delayed, because he predicts that GTA V "may become the best selling game of all time, selling over 20 million units."

Rockstar Games has been keeping us satiated with Grand Theft Auto content through the Episodes from Liberty City expansion packs, but has been very quiet about where the franchise will go in the future. Grand Theft Auto IV broke sales records when it was released in 2008, so it's no surprise that Pachter feels it'll do the same with its next entry. The only question is when Rockstar will actually release it, or at least give us a trailer or something.

Source: IndustryGamers

Yeah, maybe. It has been a while since GTA was a hot topic; maybe the next entry would be a big deal because of that, or then again, maybe people have moved on to something else.

That degree in the science of the bleeding obvious really pays for itself eh michael.

Alright, who the f*ck pays this moron?

This is a plea to you Escapist: Nobody cares what he has to say, so please stop reporting on him.

He's either blatantly wrong, or he makes predictions that are so obvious Glenn Beck could have made them about the industry - and we all know how well researched he is on the topic.

..until COD 8 gets released

Nothing wrong with bigger and deeper. Especially if it's GTA.

Heheh, bigger and deeper. I seriously need to grow up.

I predict that tomorrow will be the most recent day in history.

Even if GTAV breaks all possible and impossible records, people will still rather complain about nude patches and implications in high school shootings =/

I imagine it will be a big seller as its GTA, and im sure to get it myself, aslong as its not in Liberty City a-fucking-gain. But the biggest seller EVAR ? possibly ... until another COD comes out.

Woodsey:

GameTrailers I guess?

I recall Pachter's last GTA-related prediction.

Pachter Predicts New GTA in 2010

How'd that work out for you?

The problem I have with some sandbox games (Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, GTA in general, even Ratchet & Clank have these problems) is that the controls feel...eh...higgledy-piggledy...if you catch my drift.

Okay, I'll try and explain. The three games I mentioned there all feature lots of shooting, correct? Now, name me the most fluid and best controlled TPS' you know. Things like Gears of War, Uncharted possibly, even Dark Voids controls felt fluid. Now, sandbox games generally have less of a 'TPS' feel and more of a 'third-person-platformer-with-guns-added' feel. Things like clicking in an analog stick to aim, which just feels wrong and strange.

Dick Marcinko's Rogue Warrior could have sold more than any game ever. It didn't.

I could make a game. It could sell more than any game ever.

I just don't understand why that man gets so much attention in gaming press.

I can see that happening. I really can't wait. I do rather enjoy the GTA series.

Amnestic:

Woodsey:

GameTrailers I guess?

I recall Pachter's last GTA-related prediction.

Pachter Predicts New GTA in 2010

How'd that work out for you?

Well a new GTA did come out, It was a retail repackage of all the DLC....That still counts right?

I don't like the turn the new GTA games took, but it's better than 'Guys in Military Uniforms Shoot Guys in Ragged Clothing XIV: Now There's a Satellite and Shit'.

Megacherv:
The problem I have with some sandbox games (Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, GTA in general, even Ratchet & Clank have these problems) is that the controls feel...eh...higgledy-piggledy...if you catch my drift.

Okay, I'll try and explain. The three games I mentioned there all feature lots of shooting, correct? Now, name me the most fluid and best controlled TPS' you know. Things like Gears of War, Uncharted possibly, even Dark Voids controls felt fluid. Now, sandbox games generally have less of a 'TPS' feel and more of a 'third-person-platformer-with-guns-added' feel. Things like clicking in an analog stick to aim, which just feels wrong and strange.

I see what you mean, but compared to last gen GTA games, Saints' Row and Just Cause (both) are masterpieces of gameplay. Even GTAIV would be nice if the villains didn't have more health than a... um... than a bad metaphor.

Could he possibly have made a more certain prediction?

I think he's wrong. GTA feels like a series that's past its peak. Other games have come along that do what it does, and arguably do it better, and the people that didn't like the change of tone in GTA IV will need some convincing to rush out and buy V.

Yeah, Pachter?

Selling 20 million copies would only make GTA V the 8th best selling video game ever.

At the moment, the top 10 is completely dominated by Nintendo games, and the only non-Nintendo games that have made it into the top-20 are GTA: San Andreas and GT3: A-Spec. Those two were both PS2 games, with the PS2 being the best-selling console in history.

Pachter's prediction is pure speculative nonsense.

Its not being released for what, almost 2 years? And theyer already trying to say it will be the biggest game ever?

Someone needs to smack theyer face against the wall until they come back to reality.

Let's just hope this one won't be utter shit like the last one.

To be honest IV killed the series for me, and nothing has even come close to vice city. San Andreas was only good, not great.

Saints Row 3 for me, Saints Row 2 is the only 'GTA Style' game which has equalled Vice City, it was genuinely excellent, even Yahtzee agrees.

The King is dead, all hail Saints Row

Tom Goldman:

Commenting on Rockstar parent company Take-Two Interactive's positive financial results for 2010, Pachter said: "We fully expect the next installment of Grand Theft Auto to be released by Q4:12 at the latest, as the company's contracts with the three employees most instrumental in the game's development (Les Benzies, Sam and Dan Houser) expire in January 2012. In our view, management would have been irresponsible to enter into a contract with the three without some type of milestone for delivery of the game prior to expiration."

That doesn't work. Explain correctly next time, please.

lostzombies.com:
Let's just hope this one won't be utter shit like the last one.

To be honest IV killed the series for me, and nothing has even come close to vice city. San Andreas was only good, not great.

Saints Row 3 for me, Saints Row 2 is the only 'GTA Style' game which has equalled Vice City, it was genuinely excellent, even Yahtzee agrees.

The King is dead, all hail Saints Row

Hopefully GTA V will learn from the mistakes of IV which although was suitably impressive from an engine perspective lacked anything except greyness and grimness...Bring back the Pizza Delivery Missions,Love Fist and Cheesy old music!.

One thing that Rockstar had always done well was fake companies and stuff which were much cleverer than the ones in the Saints Row franchise. But they NEED to make something akin to Vice City and San Andreas- It's no fun hurtling out of windshields and having to cross the road sensibly.

I'm sorry, Patcher, but I just don't care. Please get a career that involves skills that can be applied to reality.

Depth is all well and good but GTA-IV was very deep itself with a relatively wide internet and, TV shows. It didn't exactly make for the fun times though. It was fine turning yourself into the Liberty City, Craigslist killer but the TV shows were just kinda boring and took away from the actual game part of the game. It was also annoying to get calls from random people while I was trying to pilot a helicopter to the top of the tallest building in the city for the soul purpose of jumping off of it in a cheat-spawned car.

I'm not saying the game won't sell well: that would be like saying Mass Effect takes place in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. I'm just hoping Rockstar will look more towards the colorful GTA 3 (particularly San Andreas) as opposed to the dirty, realistic GTA IV.

I'm looking forward to doing a side-by-side comparison of Saint's Row 3 and, Grand Theft Auto 5

I don't like the GTA series or more sandbox games. That's not why I think it won't sell anywhere near as well as this windbag assumes it will. When was the last time Grand Theft Auto was actually a notable title? For that matter, when have any of the games actually done anything to set themselves apart from the previous games in the series?

The game will probably sell well since it's a recognized brand but I doubt it'll hit those numbers this Pachter guy is spouting. That kind of market power is reserved for the shit cookie-cutter Call of Duty games that get spewed out every year or so.

God Worm:
When was the last time Grand Theft Auto was actually a notable title?

Well GTAIV was exceptionally well recieved, but if you want really notable, then San Andreas, which is the 12th best selling console video game ever.

So...2004?

Hm, let's divide this post into a civil and a non-civil portion.

Civil:
Well, if GTA5 is not as "dark" as GTA4, possibly. See, GTA 4 was NOT a fun game. The controls were absolute shit, the story was boring, the graphics were way too damn gray/brown/dark, and the cell phone was the most retarded feature in gaming history, and Liberty City wasn't exactly a thrilling place either. I'd welcome something like San Andreas, which is my personal favourite of the series. You had three distinct cities, rather colourful characters (Truth and Toreno anyone?), and a genuine fun feeling while playing it. I don't want a remake, obviously, but I would love to see something that takes greater influence from the great GTA games (Vice City and San Andreas), rather than the bland and frankly far overrated GTA 4.

Non-Civil:
Nah, Rapelay: Pachter's Mom Edition will be the best selling game of all time, considering how well-liked this jackass is around these parts (and rightfully so I might add). Please Escapist, stop reporting what this imbecile says. Anybody here could make the same predictions, and be just as correct. For example: The new Call of Duty game, to be released next year, will outsell even Black Ops! Now worship your new prophet!

Sorry people, I am not interested in a game gearing for realism. I want mindless fun, Saints row II and beyond for me!

LoL, that is fanciful. This is the same kind of guy who told everyone the housing market would keep climbing indefinitely. What people like him fail to realize is that everything has a limit. As an instant reminder, the sharp decline on Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I think that if the next installment doesn't completely destroy it, your definitely going to see a decline. That is just one man's opinion.

I love predictions like this anyway, it serves as a good reminder about how inept some people are. I do believe this should be placed with the president of EA Games saying non-multiplayer games are dead. Keep making predictions like this and you might be standing in the unemployment lines right next to him.

PS. They don't actually have those anymore.... Unemployment lines I mean.

We all know that, yes, there will be a GTA5 but I'm personally more interested in how it will actually turn out. Will we see another "serious and realistic" take on the series, that will just push more long term fans even further away from the series they once loved or will Rockstar actually go back to making the series, I don't know, fun?

Sadly, we know it will get great reviews either way even if, as was the case with GTA4, it'll take less than a week for everyone's true feelings about the game to come out.

Even more than GTA VI?

Your move Pachter

I wouldn't mind a new GTA game. In fact I think it will be announced before E3 2011.

...Sounds utter horse shit. He doesn't mention anywhere that GTA 4 didn't sell nearly as well as San Andreas and public opinion is generally that GTA 4 is "eh". Yes, it got rave reviews, but many people (e.g. Yahztee) think that initial praise was over-hyped - so far this thread has a number of folk saying "GTA 4 killed the series for me". Plus lets not forget the absolute mess of a PC port that was done of it which has probably put many a PC owner off buying any Rockstar game for their PC. And on top of all this, there is of course competition from Saints Row, which was more like the old, more popular GTA's, than GTA4. So yeah, GTA 5 won't sell more than any game ever. Not by a long shot.

Um cool i guess, either way im looking forward to another GTA game. I know heaps of people hate 4 because of hows its so serious and how the controls suck, but i really enjoyed it, the controls worked great for me, except for the finnicky cover system sometimes, the driving was just fantastic, and i really loved the world and the story of the game, sure its dark but there was quite a lot of humour still in there

Woodsey:

This is a plea to you Escapist: Nobody cares what he has to say, so please stop reporting on him.

Seriously, stop it. I realize that by clicking on the link to this story I give the mistaken impression that posting his name generates increased traffic for your site, but as for me, seeing his name has the effect of driving me off until Wednesday at the earliest.

I'll be very cautious abut GTA5. GT4 was the most I've ever been dissapointed by a game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here