Spider-Man Musical Sends Yet Another Actor to the Hospital

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spider-Man Musical Sends Yet Another Actor to the Hospital

The cast of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark are getting injured with frightening regularity.

I was on Twitter last night when I ran across the following from Brian Lynch, who was at a preview performance for Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark: "Stopped short near end. Someone took nasty fall. Screaming. 911 called. No idea what happened, kicked audience out." Lynch quickly followed with "No joke. No explanation. MJ and Spidey took what seemed to be a planned fall into the stage pit. Then we heard MJ screaming." Lynch was one of the first to report the latest injury to befall a cast member of the accident-prone musical.

About seven minutes before the end of the show, the line holding one of the show's Spider-Men (likely actor Christopher Tierney) appeared to snap, dropping him about 10 feet into an open pit on the stage. He was rushed to Bellevue Hospital Center. After the accident, the house lights came up, and an announcement informed the audience first that the performance was delayed, then that it was canceled. The New York Times ArtsBeat interviewed members of the audience, one of whom painted a pretty scary picture of the incident, saying "You heard screams...you heard a woman screaming and sobbing."

Actress Natalie Mendoza, who was herself injured in one of the musical's first previews, tweeted, "Please pray with me for my friend Chris, my superhero who quietly inspires me everyday with his spirit. A light in my heart went dim tonight," which seems to confirm, as no official statement has yet, that Tierney is the injured party.

ArtsBeat quoted the statement released by Actor's Equity, the union for theatrical actors and stage managers, saying, "Actors' Equity Association is working with management and the Department of Labor to ensure that performances will not resume until back-up safety measures are in place." I'm sure the two remaining uninjured members of the cast appreciate that.

Source: New York Times ArtsBeat

Looks like his spider sense failed...

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

It's becoming increasingly apparent, that this performance is doomed to fail. Although Humans being stubborn as we are. Will likely get at least a single show before the entire building catches on fire and they're forced to stop production.

Seriously, how long until everyone calls it quits, before this atrocity claims a life?

Jbird:
Seriously, how long until everyone calls it quits, before this atrocity claims a life?

I'm thinking that it will probably happen when, unfortunately, someone breaks a neck and is paralysed. This must be one of those cursed plays people talk about.

Holy crap. I hope he's okay. I they they should be smart and cancel the fucking show. Too many people are getting injured. Accept a loss and go home people

I know it's terrible, I know I shouldn't find this funny... but goddamn.

It's a Spiderman musical on Broadway. It has an atrocious title (Turn off the dark? Really?) The music is written by U2 (well, half of them anyway). The costumes look absolutely atrocious. It's costing more money than any other Broadway show ever. And the cast are being hospitalised at a rate comparable to some minor conflicts.

This show is going to be the new Springtime for Hitler. Mark my words...

It's called turn off the dark? Maybe thats a good idea. Start practicing with better lighting.

Too bad it wasn't Wolverine: The Musical. Poor fellow would have been back on his feet in five minutes!

"Spider-Man Musical Sends Yet Another Actor to the Hospital"
I've seen this every day in the last decade. Such an unoriginal sentence.

I hope they'll be alright.

I'm amazed this show is even still allowed to continue.

This production has seemed so doomed from the start. I read somewhere that they will have to sell every single seat of every single show just to break even financially... that's pretty much a disaster by definition. Plus, look at this picture up here? What the hell is so wrong with people that they can't get the Goblin's costume right? Come on... he deserves better.

Ok, who honestly thought this was a good idea? WHO?

How many opera fans are honestly wanting to see a high superhero flying action scene?

I believe more and more every day that Marvel is trying to make a mockery out of their own biggest name character so they can buy the film rights back from FOX.

Jesus Christ, health and safety, people!

They way the woman describes it, the dude died.

If I wasn't so intrigued to see how this production will actually turn out, I would really recommend they cancel it now.
Before someone DIES.

It might become the next Macbeth. :P

They really need to end this before someone actually does die.

Distorted Stu:

Or at least in a coma or attacked by a facehugger or something.

Elizabeth Grunewald:
"Please pray with me for my friend Chris, my superhero who quietly inspires me everyday with his spirit. A light in my heart went dim tonight," which seems to confirm, as no official statement has yet, that Tierney is the injured party.

Injured?! That sounds like he's dyi-

Distorted Stu:

Ah ninjaed.

Anyway, despite all this, I want to see it, for the sheer hilarity of it all. Not the accident of course, that's rather tragic, just the fact that it's a friggin' Spiderman musical. And a bombastic, flamboyant one at that.

Mendoza's tweet makes it sound serious. I hope he's all right.

People of Broadway, this is a sign. Shows can survive cost overruns, bad reviews, delays, rewrites, bad jokes, even just being plain badly written. They can't survive people getting hurt. These are accidents, but they're not freak accidents. They're the results of trying to do the impossible.

Put away your self-improvement textbooks and stop trying to do the impossible just because people are telling you it's impossible. This is not "acing the SATs" impossible. This is "eating the sun" impossible. Sometimes, people tell you things are impossible because you shouldn't be doing them.

If you don't stop this project, someone is going to end up dead or paralysed. Forget the money loss, it's only money. One decent play will fix that. None of it will fix paralysis or death.

Cancel the bloody play. Before it's too late.

Considering the great lengths their going in performing this production, shouldn't there have been someone on the set to check the ropes and cords before the performance?

I smell lawsuit

This came out before the musical, oh boy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke3HDM1k5C0

*look at 2:10

Well a lot of stunt professionals told the director that this could never be done, and the director just laughed, let her ego swell and said "I'm doing it because everyone says its impossible". Well guess what, everyone was right, this show should never have been made. The stunts are waaaaaay too big to be doing in a completely uncontrolled environment. The reason they can do these stunts in movies is because they put padding every were and green screen it out. They also only do one stunt at a time werees this show is doing stunts practically none stop for 2 hours straight. It's too big, too risky, and honestly i'm surprised no one has been killed yet...................Oh and U2 sucks.

tghm1801:
If I wasn't so intrigued to see how this production will actually turn out, I would really recommend they cancel it now.
Before someone DIES.

For all we know, it might even become the next Macbeth for the same reason Macbeth is. Not curses and witches, but cutting corners. Short + Shakespeare = Macbeth, so it's more likely to done when prep time is tight, and with the stage fighting and any magical special effects put together for the witch scenes, cutting corners usually means injury. Given the expense of this production, perhaps corners are being cut to save some cash.

Sadly, I doubt this will ever be popular enough to be the next Jesus Christ Superstar. (A few Judases have been hospitalized or killed due to harness failure during the hanging scene. Doesn't seem to have impacted the musical's rep much, though.)

tghm1801:
Before someone DIES.

Damn, you beat me. I got Ninja'd
And I agree with you, they should just take the loss now, before they get any worse accidents on their hands.

Great. Spider-man can become the next Macbeth.
aw crap, somebody already made this joke.:(

This brings a new meaning to breaking a leg on stage. Although in this case it could be a lot more serious. Macbteh away!!!!!!!!! Seriously I hope the guy hasn't died or been permanently injured.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

In the context of the film, "The Producers," Springtime for Hitler was a roaring success.

Something tells me I'm not getting tickets to this play for my birthday like I planned.

Rutskarn:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

In the context of the film, "The Producers," Springtime for Hitler was a roaring success.

True, but it shouldn't have been. Everything about it was meant for failure. Same with this.

I'm glad to see the Phantom is doing his job.

I mean: Oh no; those poor actors. This is terrible. Someone think of the children.

The story reports that the actor suffered, according to a source, broken ribs and internal bleeding.

Seriously, someone needs to pull the plug. I understand the amount of money poured into this thing has been monumental, but it doesn't compare to the death of a cast member that is going to happen.

fozzy360:
The story reports that the actor suffered, according to a source, broken ribs and internal bleeding.

Seriously, someone needs to pull the plug. I understand the amount of money poured into this thing has been monumental, but it doesn't compare to the death of a cast member that is going to happen.

Think we should set up a betting scheme?

"Who's going to die, how and when?"

Commander Breetai:
I'm glad to see the Phantom is doing his job.
Someone think of the children.

Using that phrase to mock sympathy of a (seriously) injured actor completely disvalues it (and makes no sense).

Just saying, I know you're just joking but you sorta sound like a dick.

Dude, they need to quit this. It's cursed. Or something.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here