Ben Heck Builds a "Military Grade" PS3

Ben Heck Builds a "Military Grade" PS3

Mod master Ben Heck has put his talents to work for the benefit of the troops in Afghanistan, building a "military grade portable PS3" with a 22-inch screen, TV tuner, network switch and more.

Ben Heck is a pretty handy guy. He's built a handheld Dreamcast, an Atari 800 laptop and even a working Portal shirt. But his latest project is a bit of a different twist: a portable PS3 designed to stand up to the rigors of military life.

Inspired by Erica and Kris Kokkeby, a gaming couple currently working in Afghanistan as civilian UAV pilots, Heck tore down a PS3 and installed it inside a Pelican Storm iM2600 case. Unlike most of his other portable projects, survivability trumps size in this one; the iM2600 is huge, heavy, rugged, and watertight, able to withstand temperatures ranging from -20 to 140 degrees.

But it's not just a PS3 inside. The ruggedized unit also includes a 22-inch LCD screen, built-in speakers, a TV tuner, network switch to simplify multiplayer and even a compartment to carry around stuff like controllers and games. It's an impressive system, but even more impressive is the amount of work that went into designing and building the thing. Sadly, Heck doesn't put its toughness to the test as I'd hoped he would by, say, throwing it out of a moving car or bludgeoning someone into unconsciousness with it, but it's still fun to watch him put it all together.

Awesome, but i couldnt help but think it may of been a waste of time?

When his phone went off at around 10:30, I thought he broke the PS3.

Otherwise, he's a pretty handy guy. Hope those guys in the military don't end up shooting the shit out of this one, too. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEA30EIUb3w If interested.)

Distorted Stu:

Life's a waste of time, it always leads to death.

Anyway, another impressive mod, and a funny video to boot. We can rebuild it!

Wow, badass Modder right there.

"Its like "Will it Blend?" But with closing..."

Distorted Stu:

In what way?

Very nice this guy is badass

Dude that is pretty damn sweet, reminds me of the guy who made the 360 laptop.

Edit: I honestly wasn't trying to be a smart ass, I really didn't know it was the same guy.

This_ends_now:
Done with a ps3 cause the 360 is too frail and pathetic.

I love trolls. Enjoy your warning/probation/whatever.

Anyway, OT: This is pretty damn cool, I want one.

>.< double posting.

Amazed I have not seen any of this guy until now. Neat mod and idea. I am curious to know how well it would actually hold up to being banged around and/or dropped. If it stays intact and plays well that would be awesome.

That is definitely an ideal case for rough conditions. And only 30 pounds, too!
Cool that Ben got sponsors. All the better to do stuff you love to do.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

It is the guy who made the 360 laptop

Best use of a PS3 Ive ever seen.

Very good video, concept and execution of said idea. True, the 360 does have its design flaws, but from what I've seen, the PS3 doesn't seem to suffer so many failures. And with it already being gutted, if something should break, might make it a little easier to repair. Would like to have seen the final presentation to the couple who asked for it to get a reaction, but the build was good.

And I thought they couldn't find a way to make the PS3 even more expensive :P

Cool stuff!

That is to awsome

Dont be knocking the sonic welding

One word, awesome!

Holy crap thats impressive! Shame the controller doesn't fit. Love the companion cube in the background.

Man that guy is fun to watch. Though, since not everyone has access to a CNC machine, his products do have a certain unavailable quality to them.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

Hilarious. (I really hope you were joking, anyway.)

Paul from LRR only wishes he could step to this!

Dude, I wish I'd had something like that for my laptop while I was in Iraq. There is NO way possible to keep sand from getting *everywhere,* and it's not nice sand either.

Wow, I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and I think the stuff this guy does is just amazing!

gah when did Ben Heck get his own show! and y haven't i been watching it! >.<

It looks the part but it still doesnt seem very rugged. have the suspicion that if you drop it from more than 3 feet something will still break :(

thats great.

My half brother designs video games (graphics, special effects, level designs, a ton of stuff I think) and at the moment he is actually working on top secret military stuff or something. No idea what it is but he can't actually tell anyone.

this guy is like WAY handy! you can tell he's been "wiggling the drillbit around in there" for some time!

"if you don't have big enough bit, just wiggle it around in there" and that look on his face right after he said that :-)))))))

Sweet! Watertight and airtight. So, how's heat management flow?

dogstile:

This_ends_now:
Done with a ps3 cause the 360 is too frail and pathetic.

I love trolls. Enjoy your warning/probation/whatever.

Anyway, OT: This is pretty damn cool, I want one.

he got banned. lol.

Nice of him to do that for them.

Cool mods overall, nice to see people having fun these days.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here