EA and Valve Do a Deal for Portal 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EA and Valve Do a Deal for Portal 2

Electronic Arts has signed a deal with Valve to distribute the upcoming Portal 2 through its EA Partners publishing arm.

Coming out in April barring a Valve Time interruption, Portal 2 will feature all-new puzzles, Aperture Science test chambers and of course a reunion with the smooth-talking GlaDOS, the sexiest thing to come out of an artificial intelligence lab since Shodan. EA announced today that it has signed a deal with Valve to distribute the game at retail through its EA Partners publishing arm; digital distribution of the game will be handled by Valve through its Steam platform.

"Portal 2 is Valve's most innovative title in the company's history and will be launched with a first-class launch campaign this April," said Doug Lombardi, Valve's vice president of marketing. "We're excited to be working with Electronic Arts to deliver this title as we expand our platform strategy to include the Mac and PlayStation 3 platforms."

The EA Partners program has resulted in publishing and distribution deals between Electronic Arts and a number of high-profile developers along with Valve, including Crytek's Crysis series, the Rock Band games from Harmonix and Epic's upcoming Bulletstorm. Portal 2 will actually be the fourth Valve game distributed at retail by EA Partners, following The Orange Box and the two Left 4 Dead games.

Portal 2 is scheduled for release on April 21 for the PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Mac.

Well, that's actually a pretty sweet deal. EA knows how to market stuff.

Well, EA is good at that kinda thing.

Can't see them doing this with an Activision game for some reason...

So are we reporting that Valve is using the same company to distribute it's products in the retail market as it has done in the past? .... blink ....

Yay Portal 2!

Maybe EA will keep the Valve time closer to real time if they are sinking money into it too.

So is the day fixed now? Or should I tack on a few more months on my countdown timer?

Well, if it means that Valve's games will get to be put in the hands of more people, then I'm all for it.

that's awesome! but i have to laugh at "Portal 2 is Valve's most innovative title in the company's history...". really? Portal 2 is more innovative than Portal? does he know what innovative actually means? or is the sequel taking huge leaps from the original?

*edit* really? no one else finds it amusing that he's calling a sequel the most innovative thing his company has ever done? to me it just sounds like the sort of incredibly stupid thing that only a marketing guy could come up with...

Understandable, considering EA's been Valve's retail partner since the Orange Box. Why change something that works?

i still havent forgiven EA for porting the PS3 Orange Box... this just seems like a bad idea to me. well il just wait n see

KEM10:
Maybe EA will keep the Valve time closer to real time if they are sinking money into it too.

I don't think EA have any foothold in it, to be honest. They're taking a cut of the money for distributing the retail copies, that's how it works. I don't think their name even goes on the box. Valve don't have the resources to distribute their games outside of Steam, with Half-Life 1 being Sierra, for example, so they need to make deals like this to get their games into stores.

As long as EA is *just* publishing, and has no hand in the development process, I'm happy.

P.S. Thanks

considering that valve games tend to get pamphlets instead of instruction manuals and I intend to get the game on pc, Ill probably just do digital distribution for the damn thing, valve is the only company I would think about giving full price for a game digitally only

Okay, I know it's a bit off topic, but does anyone else think it REALLY disturbing to think of GLaDOS as sexy? Slick, brilliant, maybe even attractive, but sexy? Just, uhrm, no.

EDI, however. I could go for that.

Delusibeta:
Understandable, considering EA's been Valve's retail partner since the Orange Box. Why change something that works?

Because EA make their own logo very conspicuous on the adverts they produce for Valve games as if they actually made the game and Valve's own logo gets demoted to something alongside Bink video, Steam, Havok and other third-party applications. Gabe Newell really should have taken them to task over the Left4Dead advert which screamed "WE ARE EA! WE MADE THIS! These other little people helped.." .

vallorn:
i still havent forgiven EA for porting the PS3 Orange Box... this just seems like a bad idea to me. well il just wait n see

It's just a publishing deal now, Valve are porting Portal 2 to the PS3 themselves this time around.

No Valve! Finish Half Life 2: Episode 3 first, then we'll talk about publishing Portal 2 >:( But even though EA is evil, they know how to do this sort of thing.

SomeLameStuff:
So is the day fixed now? Or should I tack on a few more months on my countdown timer?

Valve time - you know it!

It's cool that it will be distributed more widely. The other uptake is the reversal of the port. Normally, PC get console ports, but now the console will be the port. It's a small comfort really. Go Valve, milk EA for all they are worth, if their higher ups still keep talking the way they do, they will end up in the dust of everyone else. One day maybe you'll buy them, haha.

coldalarm:

KEM10:

I don't think EA have any foothold in it, to be honest. They're taking a cut of the money for distributing the retail copies, that's how it works. I don't think their name even goes on the box. Valve don't have the resources to distribute their games outside of Steam, with Half-Life 1 being Sierra, for example, so they need to make deals like this to get their games into stores.

I know, same thing happens with movies. However some of the pushers end up sternly looking at the developers if they take too long.

KEM10:

They should stay clear of release times and let Valve do their thing. Yes Valve games may take a long time but they don't have that 'rushed' feel to them some games do.

I just hope that this doesn't mean that EA will force Valve to charge for additional content or 'lock' the game so we can't have community maps.

Gotta admit, EA knows how to play it's cards. Even having a sliver of the profit pie that Valve usually makes is really something.

Thorvan:
Okay, I know it's a bit off topic, but does anyone else think it REALLY disturbing to think of GLaDOS as sexy? Slick, brilliant, maybe even attractive, but sexy? Just, uhrm, no.

Well, I'm sure there's some people who get turned on by humorously psychotic computers with loose grasps on how human psychology works, but that doesn't seem like a very profitable demographic.

EA Games helping you, help us, help everyone

Just as long as this relationship stays game distribution only, Valve! If it goes any further I'll have to punish you!

Cool maybe the Ps3 version will be good, and I'm only getting the Ps3 version because I just know that Portal 2 will lag my laptop horribly due to it's sheer amount of awesomeness and I don't want to be the person who makes it a chore to play multiplayer with...

I'm purchasing the game through the Steam store, so how the retail copies are distributed doesn't matter to me. But it's not like it would matter if I was after a retail copy either.

TheRightToArmBears:

Probably because Activision has a publishing division of it's own.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

TheRightToArmBears:

Probably because Activision has a publishing division of it's own.

...I knew that. I was making a (bad) joke about the IW situation.

I hope this doesn't mean that Portal 2 will have securom on it. Either way I'll probably just get the xbox 360 version.

wammnebu:
EA Games helping us, help them, help us all.

Fixed, kind of. Sorry, stickler for these things.

subject_87:

Thorvan:

Well, I'm sure there's some people who get turned on by humorously psychotic computers with loose grasps on how human psychology works, but that doesn't seem like a very profitable demographic.

I suppose if you were a Submissive, you could find her "testing initiative" quite... ahem. Not to make any judgement of poor Andy, of course.

Thorvan:

wammnebu:

subject_87:

Thorvan:

I suppose if you were a Submissive, you could find her "testing initiative" quite... ahem. Not to make any judgement of poor Andy, of course.

I hope you guys are joking here. If not, have you never heard of a particularly cool, well designed from an aesthetic standpoint piece of electronics being described as "Sexy?" As in, "The PS3 is one sexy machine?" Because it's a pretty common phrase, which doesn't really have anything to do with sexual attraction.

OT: Nice to see that they have a publishing deal locked in, but it's no big surprise that EA is doing it once again. It's not like Sierra is still around, at least not as the major publisher it was back when Half Life was released. Man do I miss Sierra...

Okay...so how is this news exactly? Valve and EA did the exact same thing for both Left 4 Deads and The Orange Box, so I kinda assumed they would do it again, as it benefits them both....yay I guess?

Owyn_Merrilin:

Thorvan:

wammnebu:

subject_87:

I hope you guys are joking here. If not, have you never heard of a particularly cool, well designed from an aesthetic standpoint piece of electronics being described as "Sexy?" As in, "The PS3 is one sexy machine?" Because it's a pretty common phrase, which doesn't really have anything to do with sexual attraction.

OT: Nice to see that they have a publishing deal locked in, but it's no big surprise that EA is doing it once again. It's not like Sierra is still around, at least not as the major publisher it was back when Half Life was released. Man do I miss Sierra...

Are you saying that GLaDOS is not a person, Owyn? Are you really going to degrade her to such depths? Look at all she's done for you! Introduced you to the companion cube, whom you- err, nevermind. Offered you delicious cake, which she never actually- okay, nothing there either.
Gave you an awesome gun that can bend space? I guess? That works. That's important! How dare you insult her considering that thing she did for you! Jerk!

Was Gabe Newell asleep at this meeting or has the team at Valve been so engrossed in fine-tuning Half Life Episode 3 that they've completely forgotten who EA is? This is going to end with a breach of contract lawsuit as EA tries to claim full ownership of Portal, Portal 2, and the Source engine for some bullshit reason.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 58872)