Windows 8 Will Be a "Real New Push Into PC Gaming"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Windows 8 Will Be a "Real New Push Into PC Gaming"

Microsoft plans to "relaunch" PC gaming with Windows 8, according to an anonymous source, who said that games will be a "key component" of the software giant's next operating system.

It's kind of a familiar refrain, isn't it? Microsoft, maker of the ubiquitous Windows operating system, vows to ride in and save the day for PC gaming with a commitment to the platform that this time, no kidding around, it really, really means. The interesting twist here, though, is that this particular pledge - which, to be fair, is being made on the company's behalf by an unnamed source - is based on software that we won't be able to lay our hands on for the next couple of years.

"Windows 8 will represent a real new push into PC gaming," the source told TechRadar. "Gaming will be a key component for the whole OS."

Easy to say, a little harder to do; Bill Gates personally promised the world for PC gaming with Windows 95 and while I don't think it was quite as bad as some folks make it out to be, it's sure not what we were expecting, either. On the other hand, Microsoft does seem to be taking the matter a little more seriously; the relaunched Games for Windows Marketplace shows potential, the Age of Empires and Flight Simulator franchises are being revived and Fable 3 is on the way.

But while the Marketplace may be a good first step, I'm still not playing Alan Wake with my keyboard and mouse. I have no doubt that Microsoft can have a huge impact on the state of PC gaming, but whether or not it actually will? That I'm not so sure of.

I'll believe it when DirectX is replaced with OpenGL or just stops being stupid.

Every notice how basically every other Windows OS sucks balls? 7, good. Vista bad. XP good. ME bad. 98 good. 95 bad.

Looks like they're right on track for a giant flop.

Uh-huh.

If I may, allow me to speak for PC gamers:

Ahahahahahahahahahaha, pull the other one.

What's all this talk of 8 anyway? 7 is good enough, don't cock it up now.

Just more lies and empty promises to get people's hopes up. i love how they promised it years from now so everyone will forget about what they promised and won't call them out when they don't deliver. You really want me to think you haven't abandonned the PC Microsoft? Here's what you do.

1. Finish the Halo and Gears series on PC.
2. Stop making us wait longer for the PC version of 360 games that turns out to be a half assed, shoddily done port. Seriously, when was the last time this didn't happen?
3. Stop making the vast majority of the 360 library 360 exclusives.

What you shouldn't do is keep making empty promises.

Sebenko:
Ahahahahahahahahahaha, pull the other one.

What's all this talk of 8 anyway? 7 is good enough, don't cock it up now.

Mmm. Don't make a new one till the old might go out of date soon, I think.

They aren't going to make GFWL part of the OS are they? Please tell me they aren't.

I'll believe it when they stop teasing PC gamers with a game/franchise and then don't follow through with it.

Unless they integrate direct digital download into the operating system, I don't see it happening.
Like if you open up your games folder, and there is just a library of games right there you can just purchase and have auto installed/updated (like steam), that could be pretty cool.
If something like that was integrated directly into the OS, I bet a lot of people would stop using 3rd party DDS.
Also, scrap GFWL, it's an embarrassing mess.

I stopped caring roughly 5 "MS will save PC gaming" articles ago.

GFWL is still crap.

I'm still not playing Fable 2. I'm still not playing Fable 3.

Now, you might say you don't care about the Fable games, but that's besides the point. It's a matter of principle. Still not releasing Fable 2 shows they aren't willing to let go of an exclusive (which would show their support for PC gaming). Still not releasing Fable 3 shows they plan to continue treating PC as a second-rate platform by delaying its releases. And no, the fact that MS aren't the ones developing Fable 3 makes no difference. If they wanted Lionhead to make a simultaneous release (or release with a 1 month delay as is customary due to piracy), then Lionhead would have complied.

Basically, all I hear from MS is talk talk talk, and that's all I've hard for the past year. Also, I've said it before, I'll say it again: If they were in any way serious, they'd bring the 360 exclusives over to the PC and they'd try make GFWL into something that might rival Steam. But as it stands, they want to have a piece of the PC gaming pie, but they don't want to really commit any resources to it.

Diligent:
Unless they integrate direct digital download into the operating system, I don't see it happening.
Like if you open up your games folder, and there is just a library of games right there you can just purchase and have auto installed/updated (like steam), that could be pretty cool.
If something like that was integrated directly into the OS, I bet a lot of people would stop using 3rd party DDS.
Also, scrap GFWL, it's an embarrassing mess.

I think they might get sued by other digital distributors if they did that. I seem to recall something similar happening with Windows Media player...

laryri:
They aren't going to make GFWL part of the OS are they? Please tell me they aren't.

My first thought as well.. *shudders*

What Microsoft should do is form some sort of committee to discuss creating a working group to create an internal communique to call for a review on the timescales involved in forming an immediate action group focussed on issuing a new press release promoting windows gaming. Only then can PC gaming be considered officially saved.

I personally think that this is stupid on their part. They've finally achieved some real awareness with Windows 7 and I think that either releasing a streamlined version for gaming rigs or retooling the OS for their needs would be more prudent than releasing another OS that no one needs.

We don't want 8 yet, 7 will suit us for years yet! 7 runs on practically any reasonable computer and I'm not going to pay for an upgrade. I'll either stick with 7 or get it free thanks!

(Not illegally either, one of the perks of my course is that I get free Microsoft software!)

Seriously, 7 is future proof for now, just ride with it and really show the world what it can do.

Didn't they promise the same thing with vista? Look how that turned out.

Windows 8 is also rumored to be fully virtualized with cloud computing. Screw it, I'll stick with Windows 7.

Microsoft has no interest in "saving" PC gaming (as if it needed to be saved). They make more money due to royalties and fees from selling Xbox games. The vast, vast majourity of games made for Windows never see a penny going to Microsoft.

That's why they have--and will continue to--sabotage PC gaming by buying exclusive rights and preventing or delaying the release of PC titles.

Why can't they just do what the want to do with 7 via service packs?

XP was around for ages, that worked fine and so does 7.

Hmm. ($_$)

Jumwa:
Microsoft has no interest in "saving" PC gaming (as if it needed to be saved). They make more money due to royalties and fees from selling Xbox games. The vast, vast majourity of games made for Windows never see a penny going to Microsoft.

That's why they have--and will continue to--sabotage PC gaming by buying exclusive rights and preventing or delaying the release of PC titles.

The amount of money they make from xbox games is pathetic compared to windows licences.

would make sense...

if developers fucking put effort in PC games (and I'm talking about most games here, not the ones that actually love PC, so Valve and stuff are safe)

I'm looking at YOU, Infinity Ward, you were so good with CoD1 and 2, why did you have to go on and fuck up ports and pc releases?

laryri:

well, they did say they're trying to make this a real push into pc gaming... they probably mean "push it off a cliff" by integrating them....

You mean 7 isn't good enough for gaming as it is?

Well, not really knowing what they are exactly going to be doing, I'm just going to be cautiously optimistic because despite all of their screw ups, MS has proven that they can make a good OS.

Nimbus:
Every notice how basically every other Windows OS sucks balls? 7, good. Vista bad. XP good. ME bad. 98 good. 95 bad.

Looks like they're right on track for a giant flop.

OH SNAP!

Looks like I'm waiting for Windows 9, then...

A big push for gaming? Great, maybe they could also make a big push for being able to organize files freely and intuitively.

Oh wait, I forgot, they took that out after Windows XP. Look at me, stuck in the past.

Andy Chalk:
The interesting twist here, though, is that this particular pledge - which, to be fair, is being made on the company's behalf by an unnamed source - is based on software that we won't be able to lay our hands on for the next couple of years.

Oh good. I hope they weren't saying Windows 8 is going to be coming soon. What's wrong with 7? It's working just fine. Support it for a while like you did XP. No need to put out yet another expensive OS right now. Plus you still need to sell all those stubborn XP holdouts on 7 still anyway.

Going to 'save' PC gaming with win8? give me a break ,whats stopping you from releasing xbox exclusives on windows 7? Is it not capable enough? I bet its just gonna be the same thing with a different skin or another failure. I'm just glad i get to play mass effect on my PC.

Irridium:
Uh-huh.

If I may, allow me to speak for PC gamers:

Thank you!

Anyway, if you wanna push PC forward in gaming, start developing for it without GFWL ya jackwagons.

Andy Chalk:
But while the Marketplace may be a good first step, I'm still not playing Alan Wake with my keyboard and mouse.

That's the entire reason I have not, and will never purchase Alan Wake until such time as I can use my mouse and keyboard to play it - I would love to play that game, but I'm not going to if Microsoft decides they can't be arsed to sell it to me in the format which I will actually purchase. I am not personally holding out much hope of that ever happening - not when I can clearly see that it took them three bloody years to port Halo 2 to the PC (and then as a bag of lies Vista-exclusive), and that it's already been three years since Halo 3 came out without so much as a hint that there will ever be a PC-port. I don't even like Halo, so I find the whole situation hilarious rather than troubling, but if that's how the company treats it's arguably best known franchise?

Yeah, let's just say I'm not going to believe anything Microsoft says about how PC gaming is totally a priority for them while they keep on publishing X-Box exclusives that stay exclusives for so long it might as well be forever (or actually forever).

Microsoft should just not wory about PC gaming, and focus on a good OS and Office products...

Regardless, I loves me some PC gaming. Especially when there's a crazy Steam sale on. Also, having a gamepad for the PC makes any genre out there totally accesible.

But I just paid good money for Windows 7. :(

WAT!?!?

another OS

7 works FINE

lets just hope they dont stop support for 7 when 8 launches, my company still runs on XP and we are having a bit of trouble with the damn system for lack of support

money grabbing SOBīs

Ephraim J. Witchwood:
I'll believe it when DirectX is replaced with OpenGL or just stops being stupid.

Playstation 3 uses modified OpenGL. Just saying.

As was Windows 7, as was Vista, as was GfWL. You can all assure yourselves that PC gaming is as dead to Microsoft as it has been the last eight years.

Color me uninformed, but what exactly is all this hate towards Games for Windows Live stemming from?

To me the Games for Windows client is just a crappy digital download service, but the GFWL elements implemented in the games is actually a good thing to me.

I would LOVE to have this being part of the entire gaming environment on PC, a-la Xbox Live, rather than the way it is now (game dependant).

Am I alone on this?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or