Minecraft Player Creates a Link to Zelda's Past

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Minecraft Player Creates a Link to Zelda's Past

A Minecraft player's latest creation will bring back fond memories for fans of the SNES.

If you were stuck on a deserted island with a Super Nintendo and only a single game to play until rescue, you should hope that the game is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Easily one of the best Zelda games in the franchise's history, the game had a giant overworld map that held tons of secrets and nooks to explore. This map has been recreated by a nostalgic Minecraft player with an impressive level of accuracy.

YouTube's DoubleOBond took 108 hours and 59 minutes to create the map, which is 512 x 512 x 104 in Minecraft blocks. To the best of his ability, DoubleOBond included every bush, trail, and rock. The world is still lacking in Octoroks and Moblins, but to add them would be a much bigger job.

Every location found in Link to the Past is there, from Hyrule Castle to the Lost Woods to Link's rainy hometown. Here's the map from the SNES version of Link to the Past for comparison:

It looks pretty good to me. If there's one thing I'm glad was left out, it's those accursed falling boulders. DoubleOBond plans to adjust the map as Minecraft creator Markus Persson adds new features into the game, and even hopes to link to dungeons and interiors when teleporting is patched in. He also wants to create Link to the Past's dark world, an unfriendly version of the light world seen here. There must be a way to add pots to smash too, because it's not Zelda without those.

Source: YouTube, via Kotaku

Holy fuck that is awesome. That probably seems like a pretty weak comment but seriously, damn. It's too awesome for words. Nice job DoubleOBond.

Holy shit.

OMG Link to the past Re-created DoubleOBond should get something amazing for all his efforts

I was almost at tears, that is beautiful.

That looks awesome! I may have to download that if I can.

The minecraft projects never fail to impress me. Moreso now that Ive played minecraft myself for a while, and know how difficult it is to do something like that.

My word, that is beautiful.

Tom Goldman:
The world is still lacking in Octoroks and Moblins, but to add them would be a much bigger job.

And for some reason my brain turned that into an image of CD-i Link getting blown up by a creeper. Thank you for helping me connect those neurons, they're much happier now.

Tom Goldman:
There must be a way to add pots to smash too, because it's not Zelda without those.

Of all the possible add-ons listed, that would be the most trivial!

WOW, honestly that's so awesome I really don't know what to say.

I know a couple people on the server I play on are playing through Ocarina of Time and building everything. They had just got to Hyrule field. I went to youtube see if anyone else was had done the same, but nothing was as good. The server is offline until after the holidays, but I'll load up fraps and post a couple videos when it comes back online.

Over 100 hours. My goodness. I don't what to say except...damn. This guy has such patience to make such a map.

THat is way too awesome. That made me restart a new game in "A Link to the Past". Now he just need to recreate the Dark world in the Nether.

Sneaklemming:
The minecraft projects never fail to impress me. Moreso now that Ive played minecraft myself for a while, and know how difficult it is to do something like that.

Definitely gives you an appreciation what the Army Corps of Engineers go through doing all their real life projects. Those guys move islands!
Definitely appreciable work here for Link's world.

Am I the only person who thought that falling boulders were actually broccoli?

I don't get it.

This is worse than the Little Big Planet 2 FFVII, or Portal failure.

I must be wrong tho... after reading the responses so far, you would think people actually see the Zelda game from this video.

I don't, so I must have a bad memory.

Sorry to be the guy who doesn't like this, but I feel the need to say it looks like nothin special.

This to me is prove that minecraft is evil. It really sucks the life out of people... (XD)

Well, he does indeed have a lot of spare time.

He should make a request in the modding section over at the minecraft forum. Those two creatures probably wouldn't be that hard to add in.

Sober Thal:
I don't get it.

I must be wrong tho... after reading the responses so far, you would think people actually see the Zelda game from this video.

Sorry to be the guy who doesn't like this, but I feel the need to say it looks like nothin special.

You need to stretch your imagination a bit and see it from the first-person view, not the isometric one. And what's the "Little Big Planet 2 FFVII, or Portal failure"? I'm confused.

IAmTheVoid:

Sober Thal:
I don't get it.

You need to stretch your imagination a bit and see it from the first-person view, not the isometric one. And what's the "Little Big Planet 2 FFVII, or Portal failure"? I'm confused.

I just can't picture what the video showed as being from the game I finished so long ago.

As for the other thing=

There were 2 articles here a week or so ago with little big planet 2 creations that were supposed to be Portal and FFVII levels. They had a neat idea behind them, but failed in my eyes.... miserably.

Anyone knows if he mined all the resources like the rapture guys?

Yeah, I miss me my smashed pots.

Looks great, though.

Hmm, this map could be due for some new updates. That is a build of the game that is months old. Goes to show you how awesome minecraft is though, totally worth the money I put into it for the alpha. Nice job, regardless of age.

Dunno, I'm rather fond of Sophisticraft

Superlative quality, good sir!

Is there a website where people post these kind of worlds for downloading? If not, how can I make one and profit from it, without exerting any effort whatsoever?

Minecraft is soon becoming a haven for extremely obsessive nerds. Rapture, Hyrule, a CPU? come on... as weird as this may come from me, I'm sure there are better ways to spend your time than making something like this.

I want to see He- the inferno made into Ganon's lair :)

And I hope there is a way to play this map with monster spawns.

I may have to play this now...

twm1709:
Minecraft is soon becoming a haven for extremely obsessive nerds. Rapture, Hyrule, a CPU? come on... as weird as this may come from me, I'm sure there are better ways to spend your time than making something like this.

No matter what you're doing, there's always a "better" way to spend your time. Ultimately, if you enjoy what you're doing, then why not do it?

Also, I'd find this kind of engineering far more impressive than someone getting a kill streak in call of duty or the like.

Now that is what I call perfection, loved the music in the background as well :)

thank you, i needed that flashback moment, even though i fully finished the game (i got lost in the dream world after fighting gandalf)

Edit: change gandalf to ganondorf

The whole time I was thinking 'use the charge button, you'll go a lot faster' and then I realized that it wasn't the actual game. I also got nervous when I saw the cow bouncing around in the Lost Woods. Hated those guys.

I may get flamed for this, but A Link To The Past, along with the NES Zeldas and Link's Awakening, is one of the lesser Zeldas for me. I duuno why, Ocarina was the very first Zelda I've ever played and going back to 2D was a bit jarring for me at the time.

That said, I know A Link To The Past's map pretty well and I gotta say that was damned impressive. When I play Minecraft, sometimes it bring me back memories from Zelda, I think having a sword, fighing inside huge caves and dungeons, exploring the wilderness and all has something to do with it.

Forever alone

I jut saw this somewhere else, and I still watched it again. Very impressive.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here