Here's the Final Numbers on the Humble Indie Bundle #2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Here's the Final Numbers on the Humble Indie Bundle #2

The second Humble Indie Bundle sale is officially over, and it's safe to say that it was a success in every conceivable way.

The Humble Indie Bundle 2 has been making headlines for the past few days, for a number of different reasons. It came to Steam. It surpassed the amount of money raised by the previous bundle. The original Bundle was included as a part of the deal. Now, the final amount of money the sale raised has been revealed.

The sale managed to raise $1.8 million. The bundle itself was purchased a total of 232,849 times, and the average price paid was $7.83. Linux users paid the highest amount per purchase, shelling out an average of $13.76. Mac users paid an average of $9.26, Windows users' average was $6.67. The Bundle's homepage also tracked the largest purchases and the highest amount paid for it was $6,132.96 (for a while, notch - the guy behind Minecraft - held that spot with his $2,000 purchase).

At the moment, there's no news on how the money was split up between the various groups involved. When asked about how much money was sent to the EFF, Jeff Rosen of Wolfire stated that the final numbers were still being tallied.

Source: Humble Bundle

Good to see how successful this was :D

A great way to spend 10.

It's good to see that not all people are selfish fuckers who only shelled out 1 cent for what is a good collection of games.

Linux users paid the highest. Windows users paid the lowest. The former were twice as generous as the latter. Why am I not surprised?

I feel like a prick... I only paid $0.94...

SimuLord:
Linux users paid the highest. Windows users paid the lowest. The former were twice as generous as the latter. Why am I not surprised?

Windows users are a majority, thus more people who want to avoid paying more. Linux users have always been generous when it comes to developers who are contributing to their community.

PS: I paid 8 dollars, just enough to get the first bundle included in the sale.

EDIT: Vansau, you forgot to mention that Bundle has also reached the Desura distribution platform.

That's great. I paid 8 bucks as well to get the first bundle.

So far I've only played and finished Machinarium and Penumbra: Overture from both the bundles, but they were a ton of fun.

Now to see how many people pirated the collection even though they could have paid even a single dollar for it.

SimuLord:

If for the sake of argument there are 50 Linux users, and 100 Windows users, even if the the 50 Linux users paid $13 each, and made up a total of 650 dollars, the 100 Windows users would still have raised 600 dollars or so even though they individually paid much less.

All seems to even out, even if it does paint the picture of one group simply being more or less generous than the other.

i only spent 3 bucks.... in fairness though, that was all my money in my account. christmas broke the bank.

Even with all you hear about people paying a penny, it's truly amazing to reach such a high mark. I would not have imagined it.

StriderShinryu:
Now to see how many people pirated the collection even though they could have paid even a single dollar for it.

And hopefully people who wanted it free, pirated it via bittorrent or a similar protocol, because if they'd pay 1cent for it, they would just be taking up bandwidth from their servers, while contributing nothing to the bundle. However, the guys behind the bundle did give out an anonymous survey for those who pirated the game, apparently a very common answer was that people just loved bittorrent as a protocol, as a response they put a torrent of the games on their own webpage as an alternative method of download. Heh...

Also, I paid 15$. Windows user.

StriderShinryu:

Like last year? Probably a lot. Jerks are abound.

StriderShinryu:

Due to the high demand for pirating it the humble bundle guys actually created a torrent themselves in which people can use to get it.

http://torrentfreak.com/humble-indie-bundle-2-embraces-bittorrent-101224/

LegendaryGamer0:

Dont feel bad. I paid only $.50

redmarine:

StriderShinryu:

Due to the high demand for pirating it the humble bundle guys actually created a torrent themselves in which people can use to get it.

This may be a bit of a threadjack, but how long before the US government officially outlaws BitTorrent under the DMCA? Yes, BT can be and has been used to do things that are entirely legitimate (this link, Blizzard's distributed method of getting WoW patches out, most Linux distros, just to name three off the top of my head) but usually "torrent" is all but synonymous with "means of piracy".

redmarine:

StriderShinryu:

I encourage everyone to use the official torrent after you buy it to download it so it saves them bandwidth costs.

Echo136:

LegendaryGamer0:

Dont feel bad. I paid only $.50

Last time I spent only $0.09...

LegendaryGamer0:

What is this ? A race to who paid less ?

Dana22:

LegendaryGamer0:

What is this ? A race to who paid less ?

Maybe...

Don't judge me.

I only paid a penny, because I literally had no money except for what was left on a Visa Gift Card. : <

Glad to hear this has been another success. They should keep it up. Humans aren't always greedy when you push the correct buttons/motivate them.

SimuLord:

That should be obvious, because Linux people bothered to get it going.
I tried a couple times, but Sabayon Linux died halfway up VMWare Player's ass and I gave up on that.

Ontopic, I didn't buy the bundle, but that's pretty awesome.
I'd probably pay 5 bucks :/

Glad to hear it's such a success, it's a great idea and it's benificial to both players and devs! I felt bad about my fellow windows users so put down $20 for it (which turned out to be about 13 which I thought was a good deal!) and am glad I did so.

Hope this becomes something of an annual institution, 'cause it's a great way to pick up some of the year's indi games.

SimuLord:

This may be a bit of a threadjack, but how long before the US government officially outlaws BitTorrent under the DMCA? Yes, BT can be and has been used to do things that are entirely legitimate (this link, Blizzard's distributed method of getting WoW patches out, most Linux distros, just to name three off the top of my head) but usually "torrent" is all but synonymous with "means of piracy".

No, yes, maybe?

A torrent isnt inherrently illegal, they won't outlaw it for the same reason VHS is legal. It has legitimate uses.

I put down $5 for it personally.

Pretty good deal.

Also since I got it early I managed to snag the first Humble Indie Bundle ^_^

I think they found the magic number people want to pay at right around $10 per bundle.

LegendaryGamer0:

Just give them $20 for the next bundle.

SimuLord:

redmarine:

StriderShinryu:

I actually worry about stuff like that. It seems Obama's administration is friendlier to big buisness then everyone accuses the Bush administration of being. They seem to mostly be quashing peoples rights with technology in favor of business right now. I started to worry after the courts got the balls to overturn the FCC's rulings against Comcast's bandwidth shaping practices. The more they pull out the "evil" technology card against things like that the more I worry they are cooking up something that will make the DCMA seem tame by comparison.

I ended up putting down 20 on it, but mostly because I gave so much to desert bus.

I paid $15 total but got 2 packs, 1 for me and the other as a gift to my brother

I'd like to know who it was that paid more than six grand for it. So we can buy him/her a huge "Thank You" card and have everyone sign it.

Yes, everyone.

So how much did they lose? The cost of the games together is how much, I thought they said something like $50, I may be wrong, can't remember and it's not on the website.

The average price someone bought it for was $43 how much it should have.

So profitable.

how did the person who paid the highest come up with $6,132.96. It seems so random.

OT: I didn't buy this one because I didnt want any of the games but I bought the last one. I forget how much I paid but I think it was around $20. I wonder how much this is helping them though, are they losing profit to gain enough customers?

I paid $10, even though I already owned the original bundle. And before anyone asks, I already have decided who I'll gift the original bundle to.

RMcD94:
So how much did they lose? The cost of the games together is how much, I thought they said something like $50, I may be wrong, can't remember and it's not on the website.

The average price someone bought it for was $43 how much it should have.

So profitable.

Being digitally distributed, it's not like they have to play distributors, and no retailer is getting their cut either. I'm obviously not privvy to what deals they did with onlive and steam, but any money made should be profit, because they shouldn't have any overheads.

IF I remember rightly, you choose who gets your money, can split it up between the makers of the games and the two charities, so I'd have to guess the makers all put their games forward essentially for nothing, and just wait til the end to see if they get anything back.

Essentially they all donated the rights to their hard work and their game to the charities for the time, and if people chose to pay them part of the money, that's just a bonus.

As much as I support the charity side, I do hope each game got at least a few thousand bucks out of that nearly $2 million pile.

Why mention Notch again? Do the editors here really have such a hard-on for that guy that they can't stop bringing him up undeservedly?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here