South Korean Teen Dies After Twelve Hour Gaming Binge

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

South Korean Teen Dies After Twelve Hour Gaming Binge

Doctors at a South Korean hospital pronounce a young gamer dead on arrival after he collapsed at a local gaming center.

A 19-year-old college student from Ulsan in South Korea, identified only by the surname "Moon," has died following an almost completely uninterrupted twelve-hour gaming session.

Very little is known about the circumstances of Moon's death. He entered a local PC Bang - and internet café/gaming center - at around 2AM, and then played for eight straight hours. He dashed home for a quick meal, and then returned at 10:30AM and continued playing. Sometime after that - presumably after 2.30PM - Moon collapsed, whereupon he was rushed to hospital. Sadly, doctors were unable to help him and he was pronounced dead on arrival. Moon's cause of death is still being investigated.

The New York Daily News suggests that videogame addiction is a serious problem in South Korea, and that the government has taken steps to try and rectify the problem, especially amongst children. Not only are underage gamers barred from playing online between midnight and 6AM, it is now apparently illegal to open a PC Bang within 200 meters of a school. Sadly, neither of those measures would have helped Moon.

While the information is pretty thin, it's reasonable to assume that it was a perfect storm of events that led to this tragedy, rather than one single cause. Healthy 19 year-olds don't just keel over after a single all-nighter, so there must have been some other element to it that we don't know about. The Korean Times reports that Moon was a habitual visitor to the PC Bang, so it's quite possible that he pushed himself too hard and exhaustion took its toll.

Source: via Game Politics

(Image)

Atleast he died doing what he loved.

It's a real shame when people just can't learn how to control themselves.

Conclusion:
VIDEOGAMES KILL!

Gentlemen, ready your ban signs.

wait, moon? I'm pritty sure thats the name of one of the best Warcraft 3 players in thw world... I doubt it was him because I'd presume he was older but I have a feeling he was korean :S

Either way lets just hope this doesn't explode in to another arguement for why games are "evil"... Yeah lets face it, no one is gonna prevent that!

I instantly thought "Starcraft" and sighed.

I hardly doubt he died from playing to much video game, I should've been dead several times over then, all the times I've played games with my friends all day and night. I play way more then I really should xp

But I bet some news station will ignore that and just say gaming killed "another one"

Can't balance/control your behaviour regarding gaming? I have no sympathy, I just hope the Game Industry won't get flak for this yet again.

Sounds like it was just the straw that broke the camel's back, though of course if he's been doing this for years then the death could reasonably be linked to an "abnormal and extreme video game addiction" (guess which words are important here, and which words will be the focus if the story reach the tabloids...).

I've played longer than 12 hours, there's nothing that sitting perfectly still for 12 hours will do to you healthwise as long as it's not regular. He wouldn't have been malnourished, low on water, sleep deprived or suffering organ failure.

The quickest thing to kill you is lack of water and that takes 2-4 days.

Have played for a lot longer than that, but well I had food + drinks and such near with mates so we never had a problem.

cause of death is an act of god, aka random (my bet brain Aneurysm). 12 hours of straight gaming can't kill you, seeing i've done that all through middle/high school/college (especially during my evercrack days.)

How i wish i have the stamina to do that now or the time for that matter.

Phoenix09215:
wait, moon? I'm pritty sure thats the name of one of the best Warcraft 3 players in thw world... I doubt it was him because I'd presume he was older but I have a feeling he was korean :S

My first thought when I read his name was this.

OT: I don't know why he died, what was he playing that made him die in just 12 hours, watching TV for 12 hours wouldn't kill you, so he must have had some other health problems too.

Can poisons take 4 hours to kill?

Kenko:
What a pussy. Ive played for like 14 hours straight and I didnt pass out or anything. I was tired as shit though. Did eat proper meals now and then too.

Ah well, no reason to feel bad about this people! The world has lost a moron! Lets celebrate!

Was the sentiment genuine? Just because he misjudged his limits doesn't mean he was a moron, or deserved to die. No way he did this on purpose, and he's probably left behind grieving relatives.

Hell, apathy is perhaps marginally understandable, but 'celebrating' the kid's death? That's low, man.

Kenko:
What a pussy. Ive played for like 14 hours straight and I didnt pass out or anything. I was tired as shit though. Did eat proper meals now and then too.

Ah well, no reason to feel bad about this people! The world has lost a moron! Lets celebrate!

That the best you've got? My record is about 2 days, tho can't give an exact time as my memory of the end of it is rather hazy....

lol iv gamed for over 30 hours before and yes i know you shouldnt do that XD

Oh well he died the way I want to die gaming :3

I hope the media duesnt go insane from this

12 hours? That's freekin weak... I mean, it sucks that he died, but I've personally played games for 3 days straight, my brother played Super Mario 64 for 3 days straight. That's strange. Must not grow them very tough in the Koreas.

I'm not buying that it was just an extreme case of exhaustion. Unless he was juicing himself up with energy drinks and caffiene (or something more extreme) to an extent where he would've been useless at games anyway, his body would have collapsed long before it could have reached that state. I'm thinking there was an underlying health condition (diabetes or a cardiovascular condition brought on by poor diet and lack of exercise?) that did this. Of course, the fact that this could be the case for a 19-year-old guy is a sad state of affairs in and of itself.

And yes, you just know that the media will latch onto this story as another example of how "them games be evil!".

Kenko:

Kid's a fuckin' n00b.

OT: I think it's due to lack of sleep but I was dieing (no pun) laughing when I read this. There's something about a recipe filled with Koreans, video game(s) (we all know it's Star Craft), the internet, and death that I find humorous. Someone was talking about a monkey dome or something, this is a great instance of him being far out of my monkey dome.

Edit: What's with that weird old guy in the picture playing Star Craft? I blame him.

Joshimodo:
Lightweight.

Exactly. 12 hours? That's WEAK.

Yeah well it's not the Moon Warcraft 3 legend as that guy is much older and there would've been more buzz anyways.

Regarding his death, well there certainly where a lot of other circumstances that caused his breakdown, who knows. Perhaps he was overall completely burned out duo to prior gaming sessions or other reasons.

Hmm, I don't think it was 12 hours of gaming that caused it. I think he was set to fall over anyway..

My record for this kind of thing was 57 hours straight (WoW, Ahn-Quiraj opening) and that didn't kill me. He should have been able to do that without eating or drinking for at least two days before collapsing, on average.

These stories always irk me because of the double standard the media plays up, idiots get themselves killed all the time, drunk drivers, morons playing on train tracks, etc. We still have booze, cars, trains, sports, and all manner of other things the vast vast majority of people can enjoy safely

Generic Gamer:
I've played longer than 12 hours, there's nothing that sitting perfectly still for 12 hours will do to you healthwise as long as it's not regular. He wouldn't have been malnourished, low on water, sleep deprived or suffering organ failure.

The quickest thing to kill you is lack of water and that takes 2-4 days.

I know that on my flight to Japan standing up and walking around was mandatory every 5-6 hours because if you sit still for too long you can develop blood clots, which might possibly, after being shaken take some time(a few hours) to lodge into a vital part of your body, such as your brain. It can kill you.

Sounds like a seizure to me.

Probably shouldn't have been playing games in the first place.

Daveman:

Joshimodo:
Lightweight.

Exactly. 12 hours? That's WEAK.

Yup. 12 hours is nothing. The guys on his server are probably still playing, wondering why the fuck he's AFK.

Aurora219:
He should have been able to do that without eating or drinking for at least two days before collapsing, on average.

Assuming he was well nourished, fed, watered, rested etc. before his binge, sure. There's far too little information about his habits beforehand (information that is unlikely to ever come to light) to draw any realy conclusions.

Nice to see people mocking the dead kid and bragging about how they could go for longer. How many of you guys were screaming for blood over the "Guy steals consoles from sick kids" and "Guy steals Gameboy from dead kid" stories, hmm?

Kenko:

My thoughts exactly, good sir! Champagne? Or perhaps just some vodka?

vxicepickxv:
I know that on my flight to Japan standing up and walking around was mandatory every 5-6 hours because if you sit still for too long you can develop blood clots, which might possibly, after being shaken take some time(a few hours) to lodge into a vital part of your body, such as your brain. It can kill you.

I know about DVT but you should automatically move around if you have space, DVT is a problem on airlines because of the space to move about. I mean he'd have been doing those movements that they tell you to do automatically, stretching his arms and legs, swinging legs on the chair and al that. I don't sit stock still when gaming, it'd be unusual for this guy to have literally been motionless.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here