Gears of War Ultimate Could Debut Kinect Functionality

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gears of War Ultimate Could Debut Kinect Functionality

An accidental GameStop listing has revealed a new Gears of War release, but exactly what it'll feature is unknown.

Epic Games definitely has a new Gears of War product in the works, as revealed by a recent GameStop listing, and if rumors are true it could feature the addition of Kinect functionality. GameStop put a product called Gears of War Ultimate in its online database for a short time until realizing the mistake and taking it down.

The only details that came with the listing were that the game is related to Gears of War, that it'll be released on February 15, 2011, and that it'll cost $29.99. However, recent Gears of War news has hinted that it could be more than a compilation package.

While the most obvious use for another Gears of War SKU would be to bundle both Gears of War and Gears of War 2's game-of-the-year editions into one box for one low price, rumors have been flying in recent months about Epic adding the ability to play through the series using Microsoft's Kinect. Epic's Cliff "CliffyB" Bleszinski said he was going to reveal something Gears of War-related at the 2010 Spike TV VGAs that would "surprise people," but cancelled the announcement.

Microsoft confirmed to IGN that the listing is legitimate, saying: "We can confirm a forthcoming bundle SKU involving the Gears franchise, though this may not be the final SKU name. There are no specifics available at this time, except to say it will not involve Gears of War 3 or the beta." At this time, the Gears of War 3 beta can apparently only be entered by purchasing a copy of Epic and People Can Fly's Bulletstorm: Epic Edition.

If Gears of War Ultimate really does add Kinect functionality to the franchise, I'm dying to know how it'll work. A hardcore franchise like Gears of War does not immediately seem suited to the controller-free Kinect interface, though Gears of War Ultimate could be one of the Kinect/controller hybrids that are in development.

Source: IGN

Hm...if they can get this to work correctly with Kinect, it could be really fun. Although all that ducking could really do a number on peoples' backs. Still, I think it would be a step in the right direction.

I trust Epic to make Kinect become an hardcore accesory, I hope they do it and succeed

hope they dont bother

why bother it seems pointless to me.

Why would they make it kinect compatible?! Everyone would be just ducking all the time.

Tom Goldman:
At this time, the Gears of War 3 beta can apparently only be entered by purchasing a copy of Epic and People Can Fly's Bulletstorm: Epic Edition.

Can someone please source where this has actually been confirmed?

The official wording I have seen is:

"Players that purchase the Epic Edition are guaranteed early access to the Gears of War 3 beta".

I have never seen anyone involved with Epic say that it's the only way to actually play the Beta. Not once.

well if anyone can do it, epic can.

Heard about it. Epic can do it but I rather wish they would spend more resources towards making GoW3 a masterpiece.

I already read on the Topic several neat ideas but these were discarded due financial issues, so I'd consider a Kinect functionality the final insult towards the community as a whole.

Legion:

Tom Goldman:
At this time, the Gears of War 3 beta can apparently only be entered by purchasing a copy of Epic and People Can Fly's Bulletstorm: Epic Edition.

both Cliff, Epic, and microsoft has confirmed this, and i preordered the epic edition, the the store said i would get the key when i pick up the game

Sarah Kerrigan:

Legion:

Tom Goldman:

both Cliff, Epic, and microsoft has confirmed this, and i preordered the epic edition, the the store said i would get the key when i pick up the game

Note, on the official forums it's mentioned as EARLY access. I am sure Epic would be kind enough to allow later entry, seeing as die-hard gears aren't just getting Bulletstorm to obtain the Beta since they have no interest into it.

Epic would shoot itself in the foot if they didn't find a way getting their hardcore demographic into the Beta without paying full buck for a game you don't want.

Chainsaw duels. You swing you chainsaw, depending on where he swung and who swung first you can get a kill, be killed, or end up grinding against eachother (I want to reword that, but i won't, once you stop laughing you'll realise i mean the chainsaws are against eachother).

In the event of a grind, you can choose to kick out or move away. Moving away would be quick and end the chainsaw fight, kicking out, depending on who does it first, knocks the opponent to their knees for a curb stomp.

Thats what I want. It would single handedly make me buy a kinect

Whenever there are stories about game stores being imcompetant it always seems to point towards Gamestop.

I thought I couldn't care less about GoW, but then they bundled it up with Kinect, and I found it within me to care even less.

I imagine a family getting together to play their Kinect and then someone puts it Gears Of War.

Te-hee-hee... Chainsaws.

No idea how it'll work, really. Doesn't even seem possible.

Why do people always think full-blown gameplay interactivity when they see this? Interactive menus. Duck behind a wall and then gesture toward your selected weapon or equipment.

Sure it's fluff, but if you happen to have a Kinect and buy this game, surely you'd take advantage of this feature?

huh, that would be interesting

not that I'll be able to get Kinect (yeah right, a new 360 that is) anytime soon

ChromeAlchemist:
Why do people always think full-blown gameplay interactivity when they see this? Interactive menus. Duck behind a wall and then gesture toward your selected weapon or equipment.

Sure it's fluff, but if you happen to have a Kinect and buy this game, surely you'd take advantage of this feature?

Maybe, maybe not, it really depends on how intuitive the setup is. It may just be faster and less complicated to keep it a controller interface, as most TPS' simply thrive with a controller input. I can't see how holding a controller, while physically ducking to gain cover, or taking your hand off the controller to gesture to a weapon you want to use, is going to make the gameplay better. Ya know?

Unfortunately, all we have right now is theory, so we really have no idea what they're planning. I remain skeptical, until the prove otherwise.

Does this mean I'll be able to slap Dominic every time he goes off about his missing wife?

It would be nice if Epic updates Gears 1 with Gears 2 engine and add the deleted scene of the PC version... that said, I'm still waiting for Gears 2 and 3 for the PC.

I'm just curious to see how are they going to pull it off for Kinect.

Well I'd definitely give it a shot. I got a Kinect for Christmas (That I didn't ask for) so anything slightly more core than Kinectimals is great in my eyes.

Its just going to be like that shitty new Socom game.

Tom Goldman:
Microsoft confirmed to IGN that the listing is legitimate, saying: "We can confirm a forthcoming bundle SKU involving the Gears franchise, though this may not be the final SKU name. There are no specifics available at this time, except to say it will not involve Gears of War 3 or the beta." At this time, the Gears of War 3 beta can apparently only be entered by purchasing a copy of Epic and People Can Fly's Bulletstorm: Epic Edition.

Problem is, I still have to take IGN's word for it that MS actually said that, and that's not something I'm willing to do considering how often IGN takes liberties with their news. Basically I need Microsoft to confirm that they confirmed this to IGN, and then I don't need IGN in the first place if it's coming right from Microsoft.

Anyway, Gears collection, Gears Kinect... All a bunch of rumors that I don't care about anyway. Give me Gears 3 please.

I love how the title says "Gears of War Ultimate Could Debut Kinect Functionality".

All they need to do is add a "gesticulate violently to initiate chainsaw" function and I will love this. So hard.

Straying Bullet:

Sarah Kerrigan:

Legion:

Note, on the official forums it's mentioned as EARLY access. I am sure Epic would be kind enough to allow later entry, seeing as die-hard gears aren't just getting Bulletstorm to obtain the Beta since they have no interest into it.

Epic would shoot itself in the foot if they didn't find a way getting their hardcore demographic into the Beta without paying full buck for a game you don't want.

well, me, I'm buying BulletStorm because it looks amazing and it looks different then other shooters. I didn't even know the beta was in it until the guy at Gamestop told me right before I preordered it.

I think it's a good ad on though.

On a side note, these accidental listings are announcing more games than developers and publishers combined these days.

OT; Give it a chance. It could be good.

Why?

There is no possible reason to add it into apart from Microsoft can sell more gimmicky bullshit.

Numachuka:
Why?

There is no possible reason to add it into apart from Microsoft can sell more gimmicky bullshit.

I would laugh if this turned out to be a good game, just so i can tell people who hate Kinect, i told you so.

OT: I have seen Kinect in action and it's really good, gimmicky so far, but so was the Wii...

I really hope Epic can pull it off, so far the only developers i can see doing this sort of thing is Valve, Bioware and Epic. Possibly Bungie.

Please just be a rumor. Please just be a rumor.

I really don't want this to be true. Mainly do to my hatred for the Kinect, but also because I really don't like the idea of a Cover-based TPS being made for a bodily controlled system.

Straying Bullet:
Heard about it. Epic can do it but I rather wish they would spend more resources towards making GoW3 a masterpiece.

I already read on the Topic several neat ideas but these were discarded due financial issues, so I'd consider a Kinect functionality the final insult towards the community as a whole.

My sentiments exactly. Rather than wasting efforts in an attempt to make Kinect more relevant to people who don't enjoy virtual petting zoos and water rafting, the priority should be to focus on making Gears of War 3 the best that it can be and a truly memorable title (And a reason for me to use my Xbox 360 again, thanks).

Without proper confirmation of as to what features will be included in what game(s), I cannot say that any of this leaves me brimming with confidence. A couple things that I'm thinking...

1) Gears of War 3 - I would imagine limited Wii-mote-esque actions that are not the drive behind the entire game due to the complex responses required for Gears.

2) Gears of War Ultimate - possibly a compilation with the extra Gears 1 features, DLC, ect., and if anything Kinect, similar features as the firs. Then again, it's half the price of a normal game so who can really say?

3) GoW Ultimate is really a whole new Kinect game and I feel especially justified in griping to my heart's content over any irksome flaw in GoW 3 because they had this Kinect-vitalization side project to distract them.

There's no real evidence suggesting that it will be kinect-compatible at all, that's just speculation at this point. I think it's more likely to be just a compilation package, or maybe even just something like a collection of all the gears 1&2 multiplayer maps for Gears 3 multiplayer, like the disc that was bundled in with Gears 2 GotY was to Gear 1.

SelectivelyEvil13:
SNIP

Amen. I own a 360 because of Gears of War 2. Even still, two years in.

Also, Gears of War 3 better be a damn masterpiece. I had enough of the lag/host quits/inconsistant gameplay/horrible matchmaking/hit detection.

Either this will BE TEH perfect/flawless game or the stigma will never disappear.

I'd buy it if it goes onto the PC, I've never played the GoW games, but they aren't on the PC are they I don't think? Damn.

Also where on the article does it link to rumors of the game having Kinect functionality?

I'd buy this and a Kinect device solely for the ability to control how you move your chainsaw through your enemy with your hands.
Am I sick?
Probably, but that would be so much fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here