Download The Expendables? You Might Be Sued

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Download The Expendables? You Might Be Sued

Like the producers of The Hurt Locker before it, the production company behind The Expendables is suing those who allegedly pirated the film.

Nu Image Films, in conjunction with The U.S. Copyright Group (USCG), is going after the thousands of people who shared The Expendables on BitTorrent. The much-maligned Expendables, which came out in August 2010, did pretty well at the box office, but was still widely pirated. The Hollywood Reporter, in detailing the mass lawsuit, says, "The indie mini-studio is said to have signed up for the mass-suing over the holidays."

In prosecuting these file-sharers, the USCG subpoenas ISPs in order to identify those individuals who have been sharing copyrighted material. The USCG then sends those folks a letter with settlement information, along with the proviso that, should file-sharers refuse to settle, they'll be subject to litigation.

The Hollywood Reporter notes that mass lawsuits like this are difficult to pursue, and not all identified, settlement-refusing pirates will be prosecuted further, as "USCG has signed up about 15 firms who will serve as local counsel around the nation, and each will have discretion on which non-settling defendants to pursue in follow-up litigation." These firms perform background checks as has been done in previous cases, and "those who live in 'a $100,000 house' may be more appealing targets than those who live in a '$10,000 trailer.'" So, rich folks who pirated The Expendables, keep an eye on your mail.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

haha, i'll be keeping my eyes open. they can have it back, god that movie was terrible.

A sad day for the internet and privacy but still downloading a new movie for free is a crime no matter how you slice it.

So they're going after individual downloaders instead of the file-sharers themselves, or both?

The former option seems odd.

Whenever I see something like this I shit one, terrified about how downloads from my past are oging to come back to haunt me.

I wonder what they would do if someone downloaded it then bought the DVD.

Wait some one pirated that movie?

I thought only good movies got stolen. I mean don't think I have ever seen someone stealing a copy of the Mario Brothers movie.

It would be sad to get caught downloading this movie since it wasn't very good. =P

Sue to poor people, too! Sue 'em all, rich or poor!

Poverty is no excuse for piracy.

Yup, I'd be sued for being a moron and not pirating a good movie.

See you could, but why waste the bandwidth?

Why the hell would anyone pirate this piece of shit? Now if Legendary Films sued everybody who pirated Inception, that would be a problem.

Daystar Clarion:

That about sums it up. Why the HELL would I want to pirate a piece of crap like The Expendables? Stallone has been irrelevant for at least 10 years.

it would suck to be one of the pirates who got caught, not only did you get sued, but you had to watch the expendables

Ponce Master-General:
Why the hell would anyone pirate this piece of shit? Now if Legendary Films sued everybody who pirated Inception, that would be a problem.

Its the terrible movies that get pirated because no1 wants to pay for the movie tickets to see it in theaters. if it wasnt for the insistence of my ex-gf id never would have seen DragonBallz XD

You don't have to worry about me downloading it... or ever watching it... or ever being generally too close to it either.

wandererbkb:

Odds are still sue, same if you own a game. If you own it and download a iso backup they will still try to sue you saying your going to share it.

I realize my opinion is going to differ from most peoples' when I say this: IT'S WORTH BUYING ON BLURAY! haha

I honestly loved that movie, not for the story, just for the action =) Seeing Jason Statham kick a guy, and all his friends', asses was pretty fun.

Well, I'm glad that I never have and never will download this movie.

Aiddon:

Daystar Clarion:

That about sums it up. Why the HELL would I want to pirate a piece of crap like The Expendables? Stallone has been irrelevant for at least 10 years.

That's not true, what about Driven? His fast paced, Indy car film about him trying to help a young protégé keep his cool as he is slowly crawling down the ranks.

should have balls cut off for being a pansy and not paying for manliness of that magnitude.

Jman1236:
A sad day for the internet and privacy but still downloading a new movie for free is a crime no matter how you slice it.

perhaps, but this kind of assault on your customers (or people you want to be customers, if you assume they don't buy any movies) is still a bad idea as it more or less guarantees you're losing a (potential) customer.

1. Good luck.
2. That movie was terrible. I'd gladly give it back and erase it from my memories if I could as payment.

Unfortunately for them no one is downloading that disappointing movie.

Raregolddragon:

I thought only good movies got stolen. I mean don't think I have ever seen someone stealing a copy of the Mario Brothers movie.

I think the "this is not even CLOSE to being worth actual money, but I'm curious and bored" mentality is actually quite common. It's one of those scenarios where no money is lost, because fuck if they would have actually BOUGHT that shit.

don't worry the movie sucked balls anyways.

If I watched the movie in the cinema can I sue them?
Cause the trailer was false advertising, since it was better than the movie.

Raregolddragon:

Its like "Spore" no one really liked the game, but people pirated it because they "Could" and to send a message to EA about their damn DRM

Hmmm.... ya know, this could be a new way for movies to make money... If the movie flops in theaters, release the DVD early, let people pirate it, then pounce!

A number of lawsuits later, you've earned much more money than you could've imagined!

wandererbkb:

If I paid for a pair of jeans after I stole them and wore them around town for a week, i would still get arrested.

This is why you use mega upload =)

Onyx Oblivion:

Ahh, yes. Because generating homeless people does a lot to *improve* crime rates.

normally I cant stand pirates, but in this case I have two things to say:

1: if you are stupid enough to PIRATE one of the stupidest action movies ever (not considering Undead or Alive), then you deserve to be sued.

and 2: the movie did so bad, the studio has to make a profit somehow.......

RvLeshrac:

Onyx Oblivion:

Ahh, yes. Because generating homeless people does a lot to *improve* crime rates.

And we should just let everyone get away with piracy on such a chance?

It's not like they are going to sue each of these people for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here