BBC Reports Kinect Causes Red Ring of Death

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BBC Reports Kinect Causes Red Ring of Death

The BBC Radio 4 program You & Yours dramatizes customers complaining that Kinect caused their Xbox to crash.

Microsoft released Kinect in Europe and the U.K. on November 10th but many people didn't shell out the £130 until the Holidays. Unfortunately, some of those poor souls were disappointed when they hooked up the motion sensor to their Xbox and were only rewarded with the dreaded red ring of death. The BBC program You & Yours had professionals read some customer complaints that were posted on a forum online and spoke to a 10 year old who told the story of what happened when his Dad brought home a Kinect.

"My non-problematic 2008 [Xbox] 360 Pro got red rings of death after playing Kinect two to three times with light use," one woman said.

"I never had a single issue with my Xbox," another said. "I got Kinect for Christmas and the screen started freezing randomly. Then on New Year's Eve, bam, I got the red ring. Very sad."

"Yes, I got the red rings of death on Christmas day," an older gentlemen read. "The very same day my kids got a Kinect."

"We plugged [Kinect] in that day and we had a go on it," said 10 year old Adam Winnifrith. "We only played on it a few times and then when we went to play it on New Year's Eve it had red lights." At first Adam thought that it was malfunctioning because of the three controllers that he had plugged in so he started pressing all of the buttons. "But then when Daddy had a look at it thoroughly, he figured out the proper reason why it didn't work." Adam hasn't been able to use his Xbox with or without Kinect since. "It's quite a shame because we got loads of games for it."

Adam's father James was also disappointed because he wasn't able to have the karaoke contest that he planned for New Year's Eve and was doubly upset because the warranty on his Xbox had expired on December 14th, 2010. "I'm going to contact Microsoft and see if they'll extend the warranty slightly because it's so close," he said. He is sure that the problems he had are due to the Kinect and not some cosmic coincidence.

"It's been working fine for 2.5 years, you plug in something new and within a few days it starts going wrong," said James Winnifrith.

It's possible that these problems only occur with older models of the Xbox, as it seems that many of the complaints come from longtime owners. There is no word from Microsoft on whether Kinect actually causes these problems or if it's all just coincidence, smoke and mirrors. Perhaps if enough people tell their stories like they did on this BBC show, we will get some answers.

Source: BBC

How much of the 360's power does the Kinect use, anyway?

doesnt the kinect stress the xboxs hardware in new ways that a game doesnt? maybe the newer xboxs have been designed with this in mind way before the kinect was released but was still a concept.

Onyx Oblivion:
How much of the 360's power does the Kinect use, anyway?

It has a separate plug if you don't have the 360 slim. So I'd assume minimal.

Man that sucks... Microsoft, sort your shit out ._. Thankfully mine still hasn't broken yet, and my brother has got Kinect and his is still fine.

hah i posted on this on a similar forum thread

well sad face for all the folks with the older generation Xbox's guess its Microsoft's way of saying "get the new slim"

Does this affect people anywhere else, or is it just in the UK? Either way, seems it was a good idea to not buy it...

Microsoft does it again. Not only they made a useless gimmick but they made it so that it kills the console so you have to buy a new one. Nice business strategy. Oh wait, no it isn't. When people hear about this they will simply choose not to buy Kinect.

I don't like Kinect anyway. I feel they're going about immersion all wrong. Kind of why I didn't buy one, and why my 360 isn't bricked.

I started combing my hair different, and I got a RRoD!

Seriously, this sounds more like coincidence. Like how every major game "caused" RRoD....

Greg Tito:
Adam's father James was also disappointed because he wasn't able to have the karaoke contest that he planned for New Year's Eve and was doubly upset because the warranty on his Xbox had expired on December 14th, 2010. "I'm going to contact Microsoft and see if they'll extend the warranty slightly because it's so close," he said. He is sure that the problems he had are due to the Kinect and not some cosmic coincidence.

"It's been working fine for 2.5 years, you plug in something new and within a few days it starts going wrong," said James Winnifrith.

So James... You say you've had your 360 and it's been working fine for 2.5 years, but you also claim your warranty expired already? Something about your story stinks. There's a 3 year warranty. Either you've only had it for 2.5 years and you're covered, or you've had it for more than 2.5 years.

Also, I hope this wasn't like that silly BBC show that did that YLOD nonsense where they became a self-parody after they reported that most of the consoles they "fixed" broke again the next day, meaning they didn't actually fix anything and had little knowledge of what was really wrong with the system in the first place.

ImprovizoR:
Microsoft does it again. Not only they made a useless gimmick but they made it so that it kills the console so you have to buy a new one. Nice business strategy. Oh wait, no it isn't. When people hear about this they will simply choose not to buy Kinect.

Why do people always say that? No you do not have to buy a new one. You can choose to buy a new one, but you don't have to. You can also use the warranty and get a free replacement.

Was everyone involved playing Fighters Uncaged?

Just a guess.

I can't say I'm surprised

Samwise137:
I can't say I'm surprised

Yea. Especially if he was playing with an older model. Those seemed to get the red ring if you looked at them wrong. It probably had little (if anything) to do with the kinect.
I'm hoping the jasper and slim models don't have this problem; I got my bro-in-law kinect and he has a jasper (Modern Warfare 2) 360.

I thought the red ring was caused by some little connectors attached to the disk drive coming apart...or something like that.

Theres not even enough data here to suggests a link. And even if there was corellation does not mean theres any actual link...

Its possible but not hugely likely, there are games out there that already stress the 360 to the max, and it doesnt draw power from an older 360, so theres no real reason here.

Theres possibly a link, but taking this relitively small anount of anecdotal evidence from the press......

I hadn't heard of this issue regarding the Kinect until now. Maybe there's something with the older systems... who knows? I've got one of the newer ones and there's no problems at all.

CitySquirrel:
I thought the red ring was caused by some little connectors attached to the disk drive coming apart...or something like that.

The RRoD covers a wide range of problems really. You get a 3 red lights when any hardware failure occurs in the system.

I think the biggest cause of the RRoD which caused the massive debacle was to do with the the GPU and heat. The motherboard bends/warps when it gets too hot, which causes it to stress the solder joints, eventually destroying them.

Akihiko:
The RRoD covers a wide range of problems really. You get a 3 red lights when any hardware failure occurs in the system.

I think the biggest cause of the RRoD which caused the massive debacle was to do with the the GPU and heat. The motherboard bends/warps when it gets too hot, which causes it to stress the solder joints, eventually destroying them.

Right, this is what I had heard... I did not realize it was any hardware failure. Thanks.

CitySquirrel:

Over prossessing?

Anyway, could be a major coincidence, could actually be Kinects fault, we'll just find out won't we..

Whatever, I didn't plan on buying Kinect anyway.

cWg | Konka:

Irridium:
Does this affect people anywhere else, or is it just in the UK?

was that a joke or are you a retard?

What? I'm just asking if there's similar issues with Kinect's/360's in the US. How does that make me a retard?

CitySquirrel:

No, bad soldering that melted at temperatures far below the tolerances the actual chips are made for. I believe they can safely go up to 80 celcius because they're so primitive but when the soldering between them melts at 75...

*coughdoneitbeforecough* :P

OT: Yeah, I heard this live and was rather surprised a bug like this persists after I don't know how many generations of Xbox.

ImprovizoR:

compared to the PSWii's 'move'?

yea, like that has ingenuity written across it.

OT: I already didnt like the kinect, in truth, either the Kinect or Move since Im one of those "motion control = casual" people, but hearing about how their "two and a half year old consoles" are breaking when they add new hardware to it makes me think this is all a user error

Gah, will the Red Ring of Death ever go away?

It is NOT the Kinect, it was the update for the Kinect that is causing most of the problems. I got a RRoD like most after that update came out. I had a first gen console that had already been fixed with a previous RRoD.

I'm glad the media is now picking up on this, it was the media that help extend the warranty the first time around, maybe with enough bad publicity they would do it again.

Chrono212:
*coughdoneitbeforecough* :P

OT: Yeah, I heard this live and was rather surprised a bug like this persists after I don't know how many generations of Xbox.

Its not necessarily a bug. I don't own a kinect BUT the usb ports on the 360 I have are pretty much all dead and i can't really play with wired controllers anymore.

to quote myself from the other topic (an opinion i still stand behind.

You have to compare it with 360 dieing before kinect with the ones that died with kinect.
Also set that against the people that bought that are fine against the ones that broke down.
Only after looking at those numbers you can say kinect kills 360's (or not)

Baldr:
It is NOT the Kinect, it was the update for the Kinect that is causing most of the problems. I got a RRoD like most after that update came out. I had a first gen console that had already been fixed with a previous RRoD.

I'm glad the media is now picking up on this, it was the media that help extend the warranty the first time around, maybe with enough bad publicity they would do it again.

Either way, still Microsoft's fault.

I've been using it just fine on a 2009/2010 old style Arcade system since it released

It's a good thing I play Playstation instead then.

It'll take more than a few 2+ year old Xbox 360 consoles failing simultaneously with kinect use to indicate the slightest causality here. I'm pretty sure you could find several PS3's which failed right about Move's introduction if you looked into it, so unless the failure rates of (older) Xbox 360 consoles have become noticeably higher, then it's probably a new spin on an old story;

Some - usually older - Xbox 360 units still breaks, and some people happened to play kinect when they did, attributed this new situation to kinect, wrote about their suspicions on the internet without the slightest technical knowledge or statistics to back it up, and we jumped on it and dramatized it without any technical analysis or statistical data at all, relegating their suspicions because large companies screwing consumers over is always a good story.

Of course, if it turns out there is a measurable technical causality, then it should definitely be reported on and Microsoft forced to fix it and offer due compensation. Doesn't seem to be any convincing indications so far though.

I don't want to cause a fuss but things like this make me wonder why anyone ever bothers with Xbox. At worst on other consoles you just get a few games late or something D:

Turning on your xbox will get you the red ring of death. /fanboy (of course not, but from watching my brother's experiences with them, 3 returns in 2 years, eek)

Imperator_DK:
It'll take more than a few 2+ year old Xbox 360 consoles failing simultaneously with kinect use to indicate the slightest causality here. I'm pretty sure you could find several PS3's which failed right about Move's introduction if you looked into it.

The question though is: were they in the UK when it happened? YES OR NO?!? (Also, I didn't know causality was a word. The more you know I guess)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here